Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf's First 2018 Mock Draft
I wanted to give me some more time to watch tape as I was pretty behind this year. I even had to wait a few days to catch up on all the Senior Bowl stuff that happened and to watch videos and tape. With that said, I'm pretty caught up outside of a few prospects I want to see more of.

With that said, here's my first 2018 Mock Draft. Tear it apart, bring up other prospects you like, let me know what you like/dislike, etc.

Round 1. Quenton Nelson, OG. Notre Dame

I know what many of you are thinking "there's no way he falls to us". Well, I disagree, and here's why: Offensive guards aren't always a top pick. They fall, remember David DeCastro? Not only that, but with the rise likes or Hernandez, Wynn, and Price, many teams at the top of the board may put it into consideration that they can grab another top quality guy in the beginning of the 2nd. We've seen guards fall before.
But about the player; Nelson is by MILES the best offensive lineman in this draft. The Bengals have a huge question mark at offensive guard, and yes, I know Westerman and Redmond did decent in a few games, but Nelson is on a totally different level. He possesses heavy hands along with a thick frame that makes it hard for defenders to disengage. He moves defenders back consistently, and has amazing awareness: (You can clearly tell who he is on that play)
Nelson plays well with pad level. He keeps leverage and is the best run blocking lineman in this draft. He hits at the second and third level frequently after engaging in his first block. He's an anchor in the passing game and because of his thick frame it's hard for defenders to get around him. The Bengals need to get better in the run game, and Nelson would immediately improve that from the start.

Round 2. Isaiah Wynn, OT/G/C. Georgia
The Bengals double dip when it comes to offensive lineman. With Frank Pollack coming over, you have to think he's going to want his own players. Wynn fits what the Bengals like. Although he doesn't have the ideal frame for an offensive tackle, his game tape says otherwise. He's shown he can do power gap and zone blocking throughout his career. He has sound technique and is extremely aggressive throughout the entire play, plays with a nasty streak. He can navigate through traffic to make blocks at the second level and is above average in terms of athleticism. He generates an inside hand push and fires off the ball. He will have to refine some hand placement techniques and will need to have quicker feet in the NFL. He also will need to work on lower body strength when it comes to left tackle in the NFL, but he shows the ability to step out wide and anchor. Wynn is an extremely good player and if he can't make the cut at LT, you can move him inside and he will still excel.

Round 3. Mike Gesicki, TE. Penn State
Understandable that many people are fans of Kroft, but he is a dime a dozen. Mike Gesicki is an athletic tight end and resembles Tyler Eifert in numerous ways.  He attacks the seams and can run down the field, he also positions himself and can contort his body to catch the ball. Great arm length, excellent hands, and attacks the ball at it's highest point. He's a tough matchup for linebackers and safeties, as he's very quick and has a burst. Gesicki is a red zone weapon and was depended upon countless times in third down situations, where he won more than he lost. He shows everything you want in a receiving tight end, good routes, body control, big frame, isn't afraid to leap for the ball, and many more. His biggest issue is his blocking. He doesn't anchor well and will get driven back. He lacks blocking technique and doesn't possess much strength to push back opponents.  He has tremendous upside as a receiver and should be used as such. If the Bengals are looking to replace Tyler Eifert with a receiving weapon, Gesicki is just that.

Round 4. Uchenna Nwosu, OLB. USC
Nwosu is a linebacker with speed. He transitioned from safety to linebacker, and we all know how much Marvin has loved players like that. Some people may see him as an 3-4 outside linebacker, but he also displays the ability to play in a 4-3 defense. He has pass rushing ability which is always nice to have when you want to blitz with the linebacker, but he excels in pass coverage. He has the speed and athleticism to run with just about anybody. Nwosu has great pursuit of the ball and is an instinctual player. He also has shown to be a leader on defense. He possesses great awareness and rarely gets beaten on fakes. Nwosu has tremendous upside and I personally like him a lot.

Round 5. Austin Corbett, C/OT. Nevada
The Bengals NEED to draft a center who can at least push Bodine (because let's face it, he's most likely back). Corbett has very sound technique. He does need to work on better strength and may struggle with bigger lineman, but his issues can be coached. He has great feet and has fierce hands that can push defenders back. He doesn't panic and seems to have a solid understanding of what the defense is about to do, allowing him to recover and make assignment adjustments. My favorite thing about him, personally, is his ability to read twists and know how to block it rather than have no idea what to do. He needs some ironing out, but there's some quality things to like about Corbett.

Round 6. DaSean Hamilton, WR. Penn State
I know I'm double dipping with Penn State, but this is a guy I've liked a lot. He's a slot receiver, but he could also be used on the outside. He had a very good Senior Bowl and stuck out compared to competition. He's quick in and out of his routes, and has shown he can catch the ball over the middle while getting hit. Hamilton has shown that he gets yards after the catch and has strength. Unselfish guy as he will block and doesn't take plays off. He lacks a second gear, however, and isn't exactly the fastest player on the field. He plays at one speed and doesn't have an initial burst off the line. This is a guy who will put in the work and is a solid contributor.

Round 7. Kyle Lauletta, QB. Richmond
Okay, I'm making this pick for several reasons. One: A scout I talk to has been raving about this guy BEFORE the Senior Bowl. Two: It allows the Bengals to trade McCarron without worrying about anything. Three: I just REALLY like the way he plays. He's a gun slinger. Of course, being a gun slinger results in turnovers. His stock is going to be on the rise after the Senior Bowl, so he definitely could be drafted before this. But, it's always speculation with mocks.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Great mock, I love your scouting takes on the players. The way you give insightful feedback and vivid description of a players skillset is unmatched by any on this board. One question though, why didn't you include the comp picks?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Its an excellent mock draft! a lot of details and informations about the players! Nelson and Wynn would be more than the welcome for the O-line, these are clearly the two positions we most need to improve. Gesicki can form a very dangerous duo with T. Kroft, also considering that we have CJ Uzomah as the 3rd string!

Uchenna Nwosu got a really nice profile. I like the speed that he could bring to our defense, nice fit in Marvin game plan! the only point, not sur if he will be avaible again at this point, if he is, it can become a real steal!

[Image: aj_green_by_augizt-d46yv55.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Would not hurt my feelings one bit if it fell like this.

In fact, would be stoked !

Nice work and great post.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 09:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great mock, I love your scouting takes on the players.  The way you give insightful feedback and vivid description of a players skillset is unmatched by any on this board.  One question though, why didn't you include the comp picks?

Glad you enjoy my stuff.
I didn't include comp picks because it's still not fully clear where they will be, so I didn't want to add picks just out of speculation. I'll definitely change my mock up after the Senior Bowl and after every pick is set in place

(02-06-2018, 09:45 PM)ML46 Wrote: Its an excellent mock draft! a lot of details and informations about the players! Nelson and Wynn would be more than the welcome for the O-line, these are clearly the two positions we most need to improve. Gesicki can form a very dangerous duo with T. Kroft, also considering that we have CJ Uzomah as the 3rd string!

Uchenna Nwosu got a really nice profile. I like the speed that he could bring to our defense, nice fit in Marvin game plan! the only point, not sur if he will be avaible again at this point, if he is, it can become a real steal!

Gesicki is personally my most coveted tight end in this draft. He's not a great blocker by any means, but what he offers in the passing game would be amazing.

I haven't heard much around Nwosu, which is surprising he hasn't gotten much buzz. But, I also don't have that many connections, I only have a few. I would love Nwosu. I could see him playing similar to Deoin Jones.

(02-06-2018, 10:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would not hurt my feelings one bit if it fell like this.

In fact, would be stoked !

Nice work and great post.

Thank you!

Reply/Quote
I love Nelson and most of these guys a lot. But I would fully expect Teryl Austin to pull a Josh McDaniels after getting one mid round draft pick to work with.
Reply/Quote
Not bad, except I don't like the Corbett pick because, if he struggles with big linemen, how's he going to handle the monster nose tackles of the division? We need to control the middle of the line.
Reply/Quote
Would love this draft only thing is I think Wynn (1st Rd) and Lauretta(2nd) will go early then you project. However if a draft happens like that I would be happy!!!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I like Nwosu's ability. However, I am concerned with his longevity in the league. I was reading he's already walked away from playing football twice and had to be convinced by his teammates to stay and play this season.
Reply/Quote
I always enjoy reading your take on players.
However, Austin Corbett is probably the one I'm not in agreement with.
Prior to the Senior Bowl, he never played C. Yes, he had some good reps in limited time there during Senior Bowl week, but I just feel he'll be at least a year away from starting at C. What I would fear is Bodine being brought back and Corbett being versatile depth for 1-2 years while this team continues to trot out Bodine, which will hold back this team.
And maybe I need to do more research on him, but I've read multiple scouting reports that say he's just serviceable in practically every area, not dominant. He does seem like the quintessential Day 3 OL pick by the Bengals though given his versatility.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
As usual, you knocked this out of the park.  Great work and interesting takes on the players.  I wouldn't be mad at all with this draft....I may be leaning to Roquan Smith and a top C more than you, but this would be a nice haul as well.  I'm not as up on the lower round guys as most of you all are here in the draft forum, that's why I am always in here reading and learning.  I'm hoping we address at least one oline position in FA with a good player, but of course have little faith it happens.

Nice first mock my man. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Great job Wolf! You've done your homework and like others have said, I wouldn't be mad! Lol
Reply/Quote
Ya, as others have already, excellent work my man!  Love the quality write ups of your picks.  I would be ecstatic if the draft fell this way.  So....when will the Bengals FO reach out and contact you for some quality scouting work?   :)  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2018, 01:54 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ya, as others have already, excellent work my man!  Love the quality write ups of your picks.  I would be ecstatic if the draft fell this way.  So....when will the Bengals FO reach out and contact you for some quality scouting work?   :)  

.......so long as he's cheap! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Nice work Wolf, thanks

And I wouldn't be totally shocked if Nelson fell to us ? A lot will happen between now and the draft, team needs will change with FA.

I'm just not sure the Bengals will pull the trigger on an interior O lineman that high ? Let's hope he falls that far and the Bengals do. He's an impact player for sure and would upgrade our line a ton all by himself !
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2018, 12:11 AM)TGISunday Wrote: I love Nelson and most of these guys a lot. But I would fully expect Teryl Austin to pull a Josh McDaniels after getting one mid round draft pick to work with.

For sure. I could even see him be interested in a defensive tackle

(02-07-2018, 02:20 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not bad, except I don't like the Corbett pick because, if he struggles with big linemen, how's he going to handle the monster nose tackles of the division?  We need to control the middle of the line.

Yeah, Corbett does struggle with big offensive lineman. He has decent awareness and technique, but definitely lacks lower body strength. I think he would be serviceable

(02-07-2018, 02:32 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Would love this draft only thing is I think Wynn (1st Rd) and  Lauretta(2nd) will go early then you project. However if a draft happens like that I would be happy!!!

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they both rose. Lauletta was getting some hype from a scout I know before the Senior Bowl, so he could definitely go higher

(02-07-2018, 11:14 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I like Nwosu's ability. However, I am concerned with his longevity in the league. I was reading he's already walked away from playing football twice and had to be convinced by his teammates to stay and play this season.

That's something I haven't looked into much. I tend to focus on the field work and if they've been in legal trouble before I dive into character traits. I had no idea about that.

(02-07-2018, 11:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I always enjoy reading your take on players.
However, Austin Corbett is probably the one I'm not in agreement with.
Prior to the Senior Bowl, he never played C. Yes, he had some good reps in limited time there during Senior Bowl week, but I just feel he'll be at least a year away from starting at C. What I would fear is Bodine being brought back and Corbett being versatile depth for 1-2 years while this team continues to trot out Bodine, which will hold back this team.
And maybe I need to do more research on him, but I've read multiple scouting reports that say he's just serviceable in practically every area, not dominant. He does seem like the quintessential Day 3 OL pick by the Bengals though given his versatility.

Yeah he's certainly not dominant. He is good with his technique, but lacks lower body strength and can be pushed back, but he always fights. Not exactly a great improvment, but as you said, the Bengals like their versatile lineman.

(02-07-2018, 12:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: As usual, you knocked this out of the park.  Great work and interesting takes on the players.  I wouldn't be mad at all with this draft....I may be leaning to Roquan Smith and a top C more than you, but this would be a nice haul as well.  I'm not as up on the lower round guys as most of you all are here in the draft forum, that's why I am always in here reading and learning.  I'm hoping we address at least one oline position in FA with a good player, but of course have little faith it happens.

Nice first mock my man. :andy:

I would be happy with Roquon as well. If it's not Nelson, I want Smith. That's my 1A and 1B.

(02-07-2018, 12:53 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Great job Wolf! You've done your homework and like others have said, I wouldn't be mad! Lol

Thanks!

(02-07-2018, 01:54 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ya, as others have already, excellent work my man!  Love the quality write ups of your picks.  I would be ecstatic if the draft fell this way.  So....when will the Bengals FO reach out and contact you for some quality scouting work?   :)  

That day may never come sadly lol. I sent my resume in awhile ago, but they weren't looking to add any more scouts. So it is what it is for now.

(02-07-2018, 02:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Nice work Wolf, thanks

And I wouldn't be totally shocked if Nelson fell to us ? A lot will happen between now and the draft, team needs will change with FA.

I'm just not sure the Bengals will pull the trigger on an interior O lineman that high ? Let's hope he falls that far and the Bengals do. He's an impact player for sure and would upgrade our line a ton all by himself !

I've seen some reports that Marvin wasn't too happy with how Ogbuehi played. So you never know. I'm hoping we go offensive line early if not in the 1st round

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 08:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yeah, Corbett does struggle with big offensive lineman. He has decent awareness and technique, but definitely lacks lower body strength. I think he would be serviceable

I don't want "serviceable"..........  we need a bad-ass at center!
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 11:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't want "serviceable"..........  we need a bad-ass at center!

And I agree with that fully

Reply/Quote
Awesome draft, as always. My only knock would be we need DL, but that would reload our line for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 11:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't want "serviceable"..........  we need a bad-ass at center!
Yeah I'm tired of serviceable players. We already have to many of them. 
Reply/Quote