Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf's Kinda Midseason Offensive Rankings
I normally don't do this. More often than not, I wait until the year is over to comprise my list. However, this year I felt like doing something early. So here's my top 3 players at each position. I'm not going to go too in depth with players, but I'll give a quick summary for each.

Quarterbacks
1. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
An exceptional talent who is an amazing athlete. Great arm strength, poise, and the ability to create something out of nothing. He's not a run first quarterback, but he can destroy defenses with his running ability. His biggest cause for concern is he sometimes had accuracy issues in the beginning of games. But once he gets hot, he's on it.

2. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
Ever since his 2016 game against OSU, Mayfield has been a beast. He's exceptional in the pocket, plays with confidence, and can make plays out of nothing. Can throw accurately on the run and always keeps the play alive. However, he does tend to bail the pocket more often than he should and gets happy feet as well.

Josh Rosen, UCLA
A true pocket passer, Rosen has the arm strength many quarterbacks covet. He can fit the ball into tight windows and read defenses quickly. Not afraid to zing the ball into tight windows. He's not able to make many plays outside of the pocket and sometimes he will try to fit the ball into spots where it has disaster written all over it.

Running Backs
1. Saquon Barkley, PSU
The best overall back we've seen in recent memory and the best we've seen since Adrian Peterson. He makes plays all over the field, whether running, catching, returning, or even throwing. The crazy part is, Franklin is holding back his potential due to bad play-calling. Tremendous, vision, cutting ability, elusiveness, and power. He has little weaknesses, but he will sometimes go backwards and try to make a play only to lose yardage.

2. Bryce Love, Stanford
This may sound odd to some people, but his running style is one of the best out there. Quick to the hole and has speed to make defenders get hurt. It's not like Love is getting few carries, no. Even in games he gets 20+ carries he is averaging AT LEAST 7.6 YPC. He is a little undersized and will have to bulk up due to the NFL.

3. Nick Chubb, Georgia
I also really like his teammate Sony Michel, but Chubb has done extremely well this year. Last year was underhwleming, but he hits the holes harder and has shown grit in his game tape. He has some speed to his game, but he will most likely hurt you by running you over. There may be injury concerns because of 2015 and then having a down year the following year.

Wide Receivers
1. Courtland Sutton, SMU
A great mixture of power and speed, Sutton is a dynamic player who has the ability to create major yardage after the catch. He high points the ball and is a terrific red zone threat. He's a consistent player who's extremely good. However, there's nothing he's truly elite at. A sound football player and a safe player. What you see if what you get.

2. Calvin Ridley, Alabama
I struggled with this one because he doesn't have the numbers nor enough tape on him, but I like what I've seen thus far. Good feet with route running and is pretty quick. I'd like to see more of him to see his consistencies and such, but he's being held back in that offense. Also, would like to see him add more weight to him in the NFL and see if he can play like he did in college at said weight.

3. Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
Speaking of consistencies, Kirk has been one of the most consistent receivers in college the past 3 years despite poor quarterback play. Kirk displays big play ability and is able to beat you quickly with both speed and quick decisiveness. A little short so obviously isn't going to win jump balls, but Kirk has the ability to take it to the house any chance he gets.

Tight Ends
Hayden Hurst, South Carolina
Not exactly an elite talent by any means, but he's gritty and a tough player. There's some potential there for him to continue to develop overall, but he's also done a good job with his minor opportunities. He doesn't have dominating tape or anything, but his skillset will be coveted and if he reaches his potential, he could be a very good pick.

Mark Andrews, Oklahoma
More of a receiver than a blocker, Andrews offers a trend in what tight ends are becoming. He's a quick athlete who can get open down the field. A red zone weapon who can use his measurements to his advantage. Just like Hurst, he's not exactly an elite talent. Both players are good, safe picks, but Hurst is the better blocker of the two. Andrews could be the first tight end taken.

Mike Gesiki, Penn State
Probably one of the most underrated players of this draft. He blocks well and has made some really tough catches. McSorely tends to get out of the pocket, and Gesiki has a knack for finding soft spot in coverage. A red zone weapon who has shown athleticism. However, he has struggled from time to time with tight coverage, but he uses his body well to make catches.

Offensive Tackles
Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
Powerful. He has strong hands and attacks off the line, pushing opponents out of the way to create lanes. He also has great feet in pass protection and can slide with pass rushers while keeping balance and power. He's a natural left tackle and has shown to be consistent. He did give up a strip sack near the end of a crucial game, but overall he's been solid in every facet of the game.

Trey Adams, Washington
Adams in an athletic tackle, but he also possesses power and balance. His footwork in the pass protection may be his best asset as he's fast but can anchor his feet and disrupt opponents trying to turn the corner. Also a good blocker in the second level and can bull rush defenders. There's a lot to like about Adams who has been trending up since last year.

Orlando Brown, Oklahoma
I'm a big fan of Brown and how he consistently knocks opponents on their rear. He's powerful and nasty. He's not exactly the most athletic guy you'll see out there, but he's a mauler who fights every play, and usually wins. Biggest concern is his play against speed rushers, as he has some problems with them. Power is there, but might be better suited for right tackle.

Offensive Guard
Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
One of the safest picks in the draft. Nelson is great at both run blocking and pass protection. He's been consistent his entire college career and honestly, a NFL team could call him up and I guarantee he would be able to block the next week. There's honestly little flaw with his play. Nelson is the type of guard every team wants. Strengths all around with little to no weakness.

Billy Price, Ohio State
An exceptional athlete who can block in space and while moving. He's well balanced in play because he can block while moving, but also has shown the ability to block bigger defenders such as nose tackles. The thing many coaches will like about Price is he shows the ability to play either guard or center. Versatility is a huge thing with Price.

Braden Smith, Auburn
Another well balanced player, Smith shows the ability to hold his own and create lanes. He's gone up against some NFL talent and has won most of them, but has also shown some weakness in athleticism in his losing battles.

Centers
Billy Price, Ohio State
Look above for my assessment on him

Will Clapp, LSU
A great run blocker and decent pass blocker. He dealt with a shoulder injury and you could tell it was holding him back, but as time has gone on he's improved. Run blocking is very easily his strength and if his pass blocking can get up to pace with his run blocking, the guy can be a Pro Bowler.

Scott Quessenberry, UCLA
A great pass blocker who sometimes struggles in the run. He has the ability to anchor his feet and shield his quarterback. He is a big reason why Rosen has been able to develop as he helps keep the pocket clean.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure after his injury Trey Adams said he's all but returning to school
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 07:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Pretty sure after his injury Trey Adams said he's all but returning to school

During the season I just assume everyone is declaring. It makes it easier to scout and remember players for next season.

Adams could for sure, I haven't really read up on what he said after his injury.

Reply/Quote
Thanks Wolf

And I'd say most likely this will be a major topic round here before long.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 08:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Thanks Wolf

And I'd say most likely this will be a major topic round here before long.

For sure. I'll be posting my defensive rankings by tomorrow or Thursday

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 08:14 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: During the season I just assume everyone is declaring. It makes it easier to scout and remember players for next season.

Adams could for sure, I haven't really read up on what he said after his injury.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/uw-left-tackle-trey-adams-planning-to-return-for-his-senior-season/
Reply/Quote
Brown or Nelson for me right now.

Baker is only 6'1, wonder if that matters.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 10:32 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Brown or Nelson for me right now.

Baker is only 6'1, wonder if that matters.

Did it stop Brees or Russ? 
Romo was 6'2
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 11:15 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Did it stop Brees or Russ? 
Romo was 6'2

Nope it didn't, but you know how teams will nitpick him.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 12:39 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Nope it didn't, but you know how teams will nitpick him.

Good, I'll accept him in the 2nd round and laugh and laugh
Reply/Quote
Will hernandez out of utep might be the best guard
Reply/Quote
Another receiver that should be on everyone's radar is Allen Lazard from Iowa State.  Big bodied receiver, 6-5 222, got hands that'll catch the wind.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 11:15 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Did it stop Brees or Russ? 
Romo was 6'2

Worth mentioning I've seen/heard various draft outlets/experts compare Mayfield to Brees or Wilson not only due to height but also from a pure passing standpoint.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would also like to add, and I know some will call him a reach, but we could just draft Billy Price 1st and solve the Center issue. Here is a synopsis of his year so far in assorted game reviews, in addition to Wolf's review.

Billy Price
OG
Ohio State
Sr
6'3
Indiana - Dominated at the Center position, constantly turned his man of the ball and was a rock in pass pro. Oklahoma - Had a very nice game running the pivot, routinely occupying his man in the run and pass game. Nebraska - Very good game, showing his ability to pull from his Center spot and hit moving targets. Stout play as a run and pass blocker. Penn State - Great game, showed his fluidity to pull and release to the 2nd level to hem up LBs. Very stout and reliable. Looked like a Day 1 next level starting Center.
Reply/Quote
Hey wolf, how do you see mason Cole from Michigan stacking up in this class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I love Mason Rudolph. Reminds me of the fat raper down the river
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 08:31 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I would also like to add, and I know some will call him a reach, but we could just draft Billy Price 1st and solve the Center issue.  Here is a synopsis of his year so far in assorted game reviews, in addition to Wolf's review.

Billy Price
OG
Ohio State
Sr
6'3
Indiana - Dominated at the Center position, constantly turned his man of the ball and was a rock in pass pro. Oklahoma - Had a very nice game running the pivot, routinely occupying his man in the run and pass game. Nebraska - Very good game, showing his ability to pull from his Center spot and hit moving targets. Stout play as a run and pass blocker. Penn State - Great game, showed his fluidity to pull and release to the 2nd level to hem up LBs. Very stout and reliable. Looked like a Day 1 next level starting Center.
This is my second round target. Him and will hernandez. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 07:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Pretty sure after his injury Trey Adams said he's all but returning to school

Connor Williams is probably going to return too because of the knee. Really would have loved to see him in stripes.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2017, 06:26 AM)Synric Wrote: Connor Williams is probably going to return too because of the knee. Really would have loved to see him in stripes.
Williams is coming out, but he'll be a guard in the nfl.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2017, 06:35 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Williams is coming out, but he'll be a guard in the nfl.

I ththink he can play tackle. Williams is long has bend and moves well. He also has that one quality you want in a lineman...just mean.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote