Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Worried About Burrow
(09-20-2021, 09:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sewell played bad in his first game and sure wouldn't of been the answer at this time. Chase has played very well on the
other hand. Sure I wanted Linsley at Center this Offseason and this seems to have been the big mistake.

Tbf I don’t think Sewell was bad. He wasn’t as good as Jonah in week one, but he doesn’t have to play that well tonight to be better than Jonah was yesterday…

But people are going to drive themselves crazy (and everyone else) if they keep comparing him and Chase every week.

Now, if we don’t find a long term solution at RT after Reiff leaves (whenever that is - - it could be a couple years from now), then maybe we’ll regret passing on Sewell. But I like D’Ante Smith, and he might be an option by then. Or whoever else. A lot could change by then.

Chase is the impact player I knew he’d be though. And he has brought the home run ability this offense desperately needed. Kid is a threat to take one to the house on any play.

I completely understand being upset the team didn’t do more for the OL in FA, but Chase is going to make even the biggest “Team Sewell” guys love him. That I’m sure of.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm concerned about the protection as a whole. The line doesn't look good. Our backs can't block (how many times have I mentioned this would be an issue after letting Bernard go?).

I'm more concerned with our play calling though. We barely squeaked out a win week 1, no thanks to Mr. Taylor and his poor decision making that gifted the other team 7 points and all the momentum. Outside of his three good drives, the rest of the drives we looked vanilla and didn't attack the defense. This carried over to the Bears game, where we basically laid an egg with our 'shell' offense.

They are playing and coaching scared, because they know the protection won't hold up. Why didn't they address the issue in the offseason? Why don't they call plays that give the lineman extra help in protection? Why don't they disguise what they are doing so they are less predictable?

I thought they were saving money to pay Bates. They certainly didn't do that. They should have signed a legit center or guard in FA to somewhat solidify our offensive line. This has become deja vu of last year (Burrow taking hit after hit).

It's only natural for Burrow to be a little more cautious after what happened last year. He looked fearless last year. This year the pressure is getting to him more and he looks a little more rattled. He's getting rid of the ball quick at times, instead of waiting for the play to develop, because he knows he has to. Other times he's waiting for someone to get open and the line just can't give him 3 seconds. We've done everything in our power to ruin him by surrounding him with zero protection, and providing him a high school level coach.

Terrible game plan by Taylor this past game. Terrible blocking up front. It was a very winnable game in the end. I'm tired of watching other teams with similar talent doing so much better because their coaching and management is better. The Ravens, Chiefs, Saints, Patriots, etc. just have superior coaches and GMs that know how to build a team. Taylor looks like he's figuring it out as he goes along, and his record proves it.
Reply/Quote
No o line can block for BUrrow the way hes playing. Hes literally not moving in the pocket at all and I am utterly surprised at how so little people are pointing this out.

If you are Burrow and pressure comes from the left, you move right and look at that you may have brought yourself 2 extra seconds. Burrow is just standing there. NO ONE COULD BLOCK FOR THAT. If he continues playing this crappy we wont win another game. Burrow is the problem here, his lack of movement in the pocket is not allowing us to get a good assessment of them. No o line in the league would be successful blocking for a total statue. Burrow is not extending literally ANY plays with pocket movement. If you get to him hes going down or throwing a pick. How is that on the line? Im not saying we secretly have a good o line, im saying anyone who doesnt have their head up Burrows ass would see this. And this is coming from a guy who Burrow is his favorite QB right now.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I would hope everyone posting in JN has Burrow as their “favorite QB right now.”

Reply/Quote
His knee will remain in danger until they fix the line, but there worried about taking a O-Lineman early because the last couple have not turned out well. The owner is clueless the team has been in the league for over 50 years, and they only have 1 HOF player. So as long as Brown has anything to do with the team they will continue to lose.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:55 PM)Housh Wrote: No o line can block for BUrrow the way hes playing. Hes literally not moving in the pocket at all and I am utterly surprised at how so little people are pointing this out.

If you are Burrow and pressure comes from the left, you move right and look at that you may have brought yourself 2 extra seconds. Burrow is just standing there. NO ONE COULD BLOCK FOR THAT. If he continues playing this crappy we wont win another game. Burrow is the problem here, his lack of movement in the pocket is not allowing us to get a good assessment of them. No o line in the league would be successful blocking for a total statue. Burrow is not extending literally ANY plays with pocket movement. If you get to him hes going down or throwing a pick. How is that on the line? Im not saying we secretly have a good o line, im saying anyone who doesnt have their head up Burrows ass would see this. And this is coming from a guy who Burrow is his favorite QB right now.

You're not wrong here. His pocket awareness and movement was amazing last year. This year he's a bit of a statue. He doesn't look comfortable back there at all. 

I'm beyond pissed what this coaching staff did to him last year by having him drop back 40-50 times a game and get crushed when playoffs were out of reach. If they just had the foresight to protect their investment with a run game, he wouldn't have regressed so much. He can still get it back. But man have we done a great job of proving all the pundits right that we would ruin him. Not to mention his knee injury is serious enough that he may already never return to what/who he was before. The damage has already been done. 

I'm hopeful he can get back to 100% and still manage a successful career. But doubt certainly creeps in. I've had an ACL reconstruction. It's not easy. Your knee isn't the same after. It gets tired, weak, etc. Mine was just ACL. No MCL. No structural damage. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:12 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: You're not wrong here. His pocket awareness and movement was amazing last year. This year he's a bit of a statue. He doesn't look comfortable back there at all. 

I'm beyond pissed what this coaching staff did to him last year by having him drop back 40-50 times a game and get crushed when playoffs were out of reach. If they just had the foresight to protect their investment with a run game, he wouldn't have regressed so much. He can still get it back. But man have we done a great job of proving all the pundits right that we would ruin him. Not to mention his knee injury is serious enough that he may already never return to what/who he was before. The damage has already been done. 

I'm hopeful he can get back to 100% and still manage a successful career. But doubt certainly creeps in. I've had an ACL reconstruction. It's not easy. Your knee isn't the same after. It gets tired, weak, etc. Mine was just ACL. No MCL. No structural damage. 

A coupla things... Nobody was talking shit about Joe Burrow last week. Second; Joe Burrow isn't an investment for Zac Taylor. Zac is coaching for his job, and doesn't really care about the long term future if Burrow or the Cincinnati Bengals. Third; you didn't have the resources Joe Burrow has when it comes to surgery, therapy, and rehab. You may or may not be as young as him, or in similar physical shape. Joe Burrow stunk it up for a stretch of yesterday's game, but we're getting a lil hyperbolic about him being broken and the damage already being done.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:22 PM)jason Wrote: A coupla things... Nobody was talking shit about Joe Burrow last week. Second; Joe Burrow isn't an investment for Zac Taylor. Zac is coaching for his job, and doesn't really care about the long term future if Burrow or the Cincinnati Bengals. Third; you didn't have the resources Joe Burrow has when it comes to surgery, therapy, and rehab. You may or may not be as young as him, or in similar physical shape. Joe Burrow stunk it up for a stretch of yesterday's game, but we're getting a lil hyperbolic about him being broken and the damage already being done.

No, fair point. I may be a getting a bit carried away. But at the same time, I 'may' be right. None of us knows how serious the knee injury was. Like I said, I hope to see him get back to 100%. 

But again, I'm not wrong. The damage has been done. He suffered a career threatening injury as a result of our organization's management of his career. I hope to see him bounce back. I think he will. Hope he will. 

But I'm just not impressed with the coaching to start the year. I'm not impressed with the oline. We're too predictable. There's no creativity on offense. It's quite frustrating. Things will only get worse if they can't get a win next week. I hope they can bounce back. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would hope everyone posting in JN has Burrow as their “favorite QB right now.”

Favorite in Cincinnati.  Ninja Ninja Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 12:34 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Favorite in Cincinnati.  Ninja Ninja Ninja

Hey, with Sunshine playing as well as he has who could blame you. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:10 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Not really wanting to go down this route, but Sewell had a pretty solid first game, certainly not bad, just to clarify.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/9/13/22671859/penei-sewell-not-pleased-impressive-nfl-debut-nick-bosa-win-every-rep

6 pressures isn't so great but zero sacks allowed in 60 pass attempts and everyone here quotes PFF as an important source.   So anyway just wanted to point that out.  

But to clarify I'm fine with Chase and pleased to see he has been playing well.

Had we drafted Sewell, he'd be our starting tackle on either left or right. Meaning Reiff or Jonah (more likely Reiff) would've kicked inside and helped our interior issues we're currently struggling with.

Yes, Chase is playing great. I don't think anyone doubted that in April. But most of the pro-Sewell side saw the current line struggled coming a mile away. Hopefully our prize QB makes it long enough to eventually take full advantage of these great receivers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:03 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Had we drafted Sewell, he'd be our starting tackle on either left or right. Meaning Reiff or Jonah (more likely Reiff) would've kicked inside and helped our interior issues we're currently struggling with.

Yes, Chase is playing great. I don't think anyone doubted that in April. But most of the pro-Sewell side saw the current line struggled coming a mile away. Hopefully our prize QB makes it long enough to eventually take full advantage of these great receivers.

Who knows how moving Jonah or Reiff inside would have worked out though. I mean, Sewell looked like straight garbage at RT, but once they moved him back to LT he has been great.

Carman was ranked the 2nd best OG prospect in the draft by one outlet, and he’s obviously having difficulties adjusting to the new position. Otherwise he’d be starting.

But if we’re talking do-overs at this point, I’m probably drafting Samuel Cosmi with our 2nd pick. He might be the 2nd best rookie OL after Slater right now. Maybe slightly behind Sewell as well, but it’s close.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:03 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Had we drafted Sewell, he'd be our starting tackle on either left or right. Meaning Reiff or Jonah (more likely Reiff) would've kicked inside and helped our interior issues we're currently struggling with.

The fact that both O-line and the need for a receiver to replace Green were issues often gets overlooked around here.

High price tags of FAs(that's if they even wanted to play here)and questioning the talent level of later round WRs coming out of the draft weighed into the thoughts.

This finger pointing "Team Sewell" & "Team Chase" is all a bunch of bullshit in my opinion.

The team.  Not the fans.  Needed to do the work to fix these areas.

Be creative and sign some decent FAs.  Draft players to hopefully upgrade as well.

Did we all forget that this same Front Office was whiffing the crap out of O-linemen in the past few drafts(we weren't even positive about Williams)?

It was going to take a lot more than Sewell(I preferred Slater BTW)to fix things overnight.

The easy route to replace someone like what Green was supposed to be(and clearly wasn't anymore)is to take a WR high.

If Higgins goes down we only had Boyd and he's not enough.  Tate?  Too damn slow.

I'm not sure if Carman was the answer but they had other opportunities.  Hell they could have even moved up if they wanted to.

I just shake my head and keep reading these posts.  Chase has contributed and looks to be legit going forward but who really knows.

He's making the plays that Green couldn't manage with Burrow last season.

I'm more worried about Trey Hopkins not working out at this point and who is replacing him.

I just want to know WHO are all of these people that supposedly think our O-line is great?

A couple of random posters on a message board?

"I hope you're happy team new shiny toy" Cry "We'll get to see how good our WRs are with Allen throwing to them" Cry 

Give me a F'n break. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:44 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The fact that both O-line and the need for a receiver to replace Green were issues often gets overlooked around here.

High price tags of FAs(that's if they even wanted to play here)and questioning the talent level of later round WRs coming out of the draft weighed into the thoughts.

This finger pointing "Team Sewell" & "Team Chase" is all a bunch of bullshit in my opinion.

Be creative and sign some decent FAs.  Draft players to hopefully upgrade as well.

Did we all forget that this same Front Office was whiffing the crap out of O-linemen in the past few drafts(we weren't even positive about Williams)?

It was going to take a lot more than Sewell(I preferred Slater BTW)to fix things overnight.

The easy route to replace someone like what Green was supposed to be(and clearly wasn't anymore)is to take a WR high.

If Higgins goes down we only had Boyd and he's not enough.  Tate?  Too damn slow.

I'm not sure if Carman was the answer but they had other opportunities.  Hell they could have even moved up if they wanted to.

I just shake my head and keep reading these posts.  Chase has contributed and looks to be legit going forward but who really knows.

I'm more worried about Trey Hopkins not working out at this point and who is replacing him.

I just want to know WHO are all of these people that supposedly think our O-line is great?

"I hope you're happy team new shiny toy" Cry "We'll get to see how good our WRs are with Allen throwing to them" Cry 

Give me a F'n break. 

The trade down was epic.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The trade down was epic.

They did well if Carman pans out.  I agree.

That statement was for those who wanted other linemen on the board that they could've picked.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:59 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: They did well if Carman pans out.  I agree.

That statement was for those who wanted other linemen on the board that they could've picked.

Even if Carman busts, we picked up Shelvin and Smith in that trade down, and I expect big things from both of them in the future.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Even if Carman busts, we picked up Shelvin and Smith in that trade down, and I expect big things from both of them in the future.

Shelvin I kind of cooled on during the preseason, but I think we might have something in Smith.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:44 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The fact that both O-line and the need for a receiver to replace Green were issues often gets overlooked around here.

Give me a F'n break. 

no problems drafting chase... But then they should have done more in free agency for the OL....  not just a 34 year old bandaid.

Draft picks dont help if they arent ready to play.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: no problems drafting chase... But then they should have done more in free agency for the OL....  not just a 34 year old bandaid.

Draft picks dont help if they arent ready to play.

Reiff is 32. But I agree with your general sentiment here.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:29 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote:  The damage has been done. He suffered a career threatening injury as a result of our organization's management of his career. 

This just is not true.  The following QBs had more knockdowns (QB hits + sacks) than Burrow's 81 and did not get injured

Cousins........123
Wilson..........122
Ryan............121
Herbert........110
Watson........ 98
Tannehill...... 90
Mahommes.. 87
Stafford....... 85
Brady.......... 84

People need to stop acting like Burrow is made of glass.  We will never be able to build a complete team if we have to spend every free agent dollar and every draft pick on the O-line to make sure Joe NEVER gets hit.
Reply/Quote