Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Worried About Burrow
(09-21-2021, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true.  The following QBs had more knockdowns (QB hits + sacks) than Burrow's 81 and did not get injured

Cousins........123
Wilson..........122
Ryan............121
Herbert........110
Watson........ 98
Tannehill...... 90
Mahommes.. 87
Stafford....... 85
Brady.......... 84

People need to stop acting like Burrow is made of glass.  We will never be able to build a complete team if we have to spend every free agent dollar and every draft pick on the O-line to make sure Joe NEVER gets hit.

Yeah, it's all perspective. We see OUR QB taking shots and don't really focus on everyone else's taking shots.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true.  The following QBs had more knockdowns (QB hits + sacks) than Burrow's 81 and did not get injured

Cousins........123
Wilson..........122
Ryan............121
Herbert........110
Watson........ 98
Tannehill...... 90
Mahommes.. 87
Stafford....... 85
Brady.......... 84

People need to stop acting like Burrow is made of glass.  We will never be able to build a complete team if we have to spend every free agent dollar and every draft pick on the O-line to make sure Joe NEVER gets hit.

And Joe needs to get better himself at avoiding some of the hits. One of the sacks against the Bears was 100% on him. It will likely come with more experience though. He’s only played in 12 games at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Burrow may have become a little flustered in that last game.And for good reason.The Offensive Lines main weaknesses appear to be at Center and Right Guard.I really like Trey Hill,and would love to see them give him a start at Center.Maybe give Carman a start at RG and see what he can do.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: no problems drafting chase... But then they should have done more in free agency for the OL....  not just a 34 year old bandaid.

Draft picks dont help if they arent ready to play.

That's the problem though.

The team is at fault.

That's why they're in this position in the first place.  They feel like they're trying.

They just haven't done a very good job at O-line evaluation for many seasons and signed FAs who aren't very good.

Williams might be the exception but his time here as a whole is underwhelming.

I'm also sick of hearing the bashing of Pollack.  He's miles above Turner and if you don't think so you're quite daft.

Turner was so bad it isn't even funny.  Pollack isn't some miracle worker but he's better.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Joe needs to get better himself at avoiding some of the hits. One of the sacks against the Bears was 100% on him. It will likely come with more experience though. He’s only played in 12 games at this point.

He has missed reading blitzes before too.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:00 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Burrow may have become a little flustered in that last game.And for good reason.The Offensive Lines main weaknesses appear to be at Center and Right Guard.I really like Trey Hill,and would love to see them give him a start at Center.Maybe give Carman a start at RG and see what he can do.

That's one thing not being brought into the Hopkins at Center discussion is his mental rustiness outside of the physical aspect.

The Center needs to read and adjust just like a QB.

Trey might be missing those as well leading to missed assignments and shifts.

Just a thought...
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's the problem though.

The team is at fault.

That's why they're in this position in the first place.  They feel like they're trying.

They just haven't done a very good job at O-line evaluation for many seasons and signed FAs who aren't very good.

I'm also sick of hearing the bashing of Pollack.  He's miles above Turner and if you don't think so you're quite daft.

Turner was so bad it isn't even funny.  Pollack isn't some miracle worker but he's better.

Are you sure he isnt a miracle worker?  i could've swore I read on here that he was gonna come in and take this OL from the worst in the NFL last season to middle of the pack/average.  

Completely agree with everythign yo usaid here man.  Pollack isn't a miracle worker.  If Carmen was better than XSF don't you think Pollack would have him starting?  If Evans was better than Mixon or Perine in practice picking up blockers he'd play Evans when an extra blocker was needed?   

Again, Pollack isn't an idiot.  He's a better OL coach than Turner ever dreamed of.  If Turner was still here Michael Jordan would still be your LG. 
Reply/Quote

Cousins........123
Wilson..........122
Ryan............121
Herbert........110
Watson........ 98
Tannehill...... 90
Mahommes.. 87
Stafford....... 85
Brady.......... 84

We know Joe is going to take some hits,that inevitable.And that’s fine,because that’s part of being a Quarterback.Joe Burrow is tough,resilient,and a fierce competitor.But he’s not Superman.We want a better OL so Joe can do his thing.This last Super Bowl,featuring the best Quarterback in the NFL,in Patrick Mahomes,is a good example of what a patchwork OL can humble even the best Quarterback in the league.He didn’t ever look average.Of course things are a little different now,as the Chiefs virtually rebuilt him a new and improved line,to ensure that the embarrassing disaster never happens again.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:18 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: We know Joe is going to take some hits,that inevitable.And that’s fine,because that’s part of being a Quarterback.Joe Burrow is tough,resilient,and a fierce competitor.But he’s not Superman.We want a better OL so Joe can do his thing.This last Super Bowl,featuring the best Quarterback in the NFL,in Patrick Mahomes,is a good example of what a patchwork OL can humble even the best Quarterback in the league.He didn’t ever look average.Of course things are a little different now,as the Chiefs virtually rebuilt him a new and improved line,to ensure that the embarrassing disaster never happens again.

This is what a real NFL front office does for their star QB and team that has hopes and real possibilities of making a Super Bowl appearance. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's the problem though.

The team is at fault.

So far the results dont show much uptick...

and thats what matters
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:28 AM)TJ528 Wrote: This is what a real NFL front office does for their star QB and team that has hopes and real possibilities of making a Super Bowl appearance. 

This is what a team does that has an elite roster across the board and can afford to concentrate all their resources on one weak spot.

You honestly think we win the Super Bowl this year if we had spent all our free agent money and draft picks on the O-line?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is what a team does that has an elite roster across the board and can afford to concentrate all their resources on one weak spot.

You honestly think we win the Super Bowl this year if we had spent all our free agent money and draft picks on the O-line?

No but i honestly believe if this team had an OL they spent money on in the same vein as the Chargers and Cheifs they'd battle for a potential playoff spot, as long as the defense continues to play the way they are. 

They're held back by the head coach and OC (of which is the same person, and Callahan because he's about worthless as well).   If this team had a competent coaching staff I think they could win 1 game in the NFL playoffs with the defense they currently have. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:47 AM)TJ528 Wrote: No but i honestly believe if this team had an OL they spent money on in the same vein as the Chargers and Cheifs they'd battle for a potential playoff spot, as long as the defense continues to play the way they are. 

You think our defense would be playing the way it si now without the money we spent on free agents Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Reader, Awuzie, Hilton, and Bell?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You think our defense would be playing the way it si now without the money we spent on free agents Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Reader, Awuzie, Hilton, and Bell?

Yep and you're telling me that there's not way to be more creative with the cap so you can afford all those defensive players while also signing 3 or 4 OL free agents while your 2nd year QB is playing on his initial rookie contract? 

I mean Mahomes is making a cool $45M a year himself....

What Bengal player is making $45M this year?  Just saying...

If you wanna play the numbers game every other team in the NFL does it except for our wonderful Cincinnati Bengals front office/ownership. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, you guys seem a bit overly dramatic here lol

Burrow has done a bit of this himself. He is the one who calls audibles, he was the one that panicked (like Dalton did) and
just fell down allowing himself to be sacked multiple times. The RB's sucked at picking up the blitz and Hopkins needs to be
replaced before these things get Burrow hurt. The OL has been average which is much better than last year. Hopkins is just
coming off injury and clearly isn't ready mentally or physically right now.

Sewell played bad in his first game and sure wouldn't of been the answer at this time. Chase has played very well on the
other hand. Sure I wanted Linsley at Center this Offseason and this seems to have been the big mistake.

I am worried about Burrow myself and much of it is on his mental state at this time and his bad decision making. But I
think he will study up and get his game down again. It is just taking some time and glad this happened honestly so the
entire Offense, him including can learn from it. Put Trey Hill in at Center, Carman in at RG and things could turn around in
a great way.

Burrow will not finish this season and I see about 5 wins if that.I believe Burrow is already getting that long look of defeat.He is not ready for the NFL and needs to heal up completely.He is not talking like a qb that is positive.We are going to go through another long long season and Zac will be here another year.INSANE. Cry Cry
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:44 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The fact that both O-line and the need for a receiver to replace Green were issues often gets overlooked around here.

High price tags of FAs(that's if they even wanted to play here)and questioning the talent level of later round WRs coming out of the draft weighed into the thoughts.

This finger pointing "Team Sewell" & "Team Chase" is all a bunch of bullshit in my opinion.

The team.  Not the fans.  Needed to do the work to fix these areas.

Be creative and sign some decent FAs.  Draft players to hopefully upgrade as well.

Did we all forget that this same Front Office was whiffing the crap out of O-linemen in the past few drafts(we weren't even positive about Williams)?

It was going to take a lot more than Sewell(I preferred Slater BTW)to fix things overnight.

The easy route to replace someone like what Green was supposed to be(and clearly wasn't anymore)is to take a WR high.

If Higgins goes down we only had Boyd and he's not enough.  Tate?  Too damn slow.

I'm not sure if Carman was the answer but they had other opportunities.  Hell they could have even moved up if they wanted to.

I just shake my head and keep reading these posts.  Chase has contributed and looks to be legit going forward but who really knows.

He's making the plays that Green couldn't manage with Burrow last season.

I'm more worried about Trey Hopkins not working out at this point and who is replacing him.

I just want to know WHO are all of these people that supposedly think our O-line is great?

A couple of random posters on a message board?

"I hope you're happy team new shiny toy" Cry "We'll get to see how good our WRs are with Allen throwing to them" Cry 

Give me a F'n break. 

Yall can get salty all you like, but we've allowed 9 sacks and what...19 hits in 2 games?

Pretty clear we should've addressed the line more. If you want to argue that it should've been done in free agency, fine. But a lot of folks in these parts were saying Carman + Reiff + Pollack was enough.

I caught a ton of flack for suggesting otherwise, and now that it's coming true, yall just want us to shut up about it?

Fwiw, I agree with you that we should be focused more on the Brown family than "winning" some stupid debate. Which tbh, I couldn't care less about (I'm just ticked the line still sucks and that I - a fan - can see it coming so easily, yet this front office continues to give half effort to fixing it for 6 years now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:18 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Of course things are a little different now,as the Chiefs virtually rebuilt him a new and improved line,to ensure that the embarrassing disaster never happens again.

All in one offseason mind you. The Bengals have had 5 offseasons. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If Burrow gets hurt this year it's going to be a bad look.  Elizabeth Blackburn is going to be scrambling to come up with ways to convince people to come watch Brandon Allen.

Already looks bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tbf I don’t think Sewell was bad. He wasn’t as good as Jonah in week one, but he doesn’t have to play that well tonight to be better than Jonah was yesterday…

But people are going to drive themselves crazy (and everyone else) if they keep comparing him and Chase every week.

Now, if we don’t find a long term solution at RT after Reiff leaves (whenever that is - - it could be a couple years from now), then maybe we’ll regret passing on Sewell. But I like D’Ante Smith, and he might be an option by then. Or whoever else. A lot could change by then.

Chase is the impact player I knew he’d be though. And he has brought the home run ability this offense desperately needed. Kid is a threat to take one to the house on any play.

I completely understand being upset the team didn’t do more for the OL in FA, but Chase is going to make even the biggest “Team Sewell” guys love him. That I’m sure of.

All true, I guess this thread at the beginning just sounded like more of the whining about not doing enough which also 
sounded like another Team Sewell thread to me. It is early and everyone is freaking out cause Burrow got sacked a lot 
and most of the sacks rendered were because of other reasons than the OL besides Hopkins who is the only one who 
has been downright terrible and that is because he is coming off of injury and seems mentally unprepared cause of it.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:10 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Not really wanting to go down this route, but Sewell had a pretty solid first game, certainly not bad, just to clarify.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/9/13/22671859/penei-sewell-not-pleased-impressive-nfl-debut-nick-bosa-win-every-rep

6 pressures isn't so great but zero sacks allowed in 60 pass attempts and everyone here quotes PFF as an important source.   So anyway just wanted to point that out.  

But to clarify I'm fine with Chase and pleased to see he has been playing well.

Cool but everyone would say it was bad if that was Carman in his first game pretty damn sure.

Our guys were good in the first game besides Hopkins on the OL and had a rough game going against the Bears in their 
place which is a bit understandable considering Mack, Quinn and company. I bet we play much better on the OL against 
the Steelers.
Reply/Quote