Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Worst Bengals decision's of all time.
(05-22-2023, 11:26 AM)Nepa Wrote: Mind-boggling. Three first round picks, including the 2nd overall pick in 2000. And an extra 2nd through 7th. 

And still I would put this behind not hiring Walsh as head coach.

you still see teams making deals like this (with the 3 first rounders)...  And they arent always hitting either.
Reply/Quote
Every team has decisions they'd rather forget. The really good teams put those decisions behind them and move forward. You can bemoan the past, but you absolutely can not change it. So, why dwell on it?
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2023, 08:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I have zero interest in bringin up old FUBARs.

Insert George Santayana quote here. Or the Winston Churchill version of it. Or the Edmund Burke version. They all work.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2023, 11:38 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Corey Dillon? You can’t even pretend that edge would have been any more successful than dillon.

I don't have to pretend. Edge had 15,610 total yards and 91 TDs in his career, while Dillon had 13,154 total yards and 89 TDs.

WTS, the point was the 99 draft was terrible. IF you could look at it in hindsight and hand-pick every pick, you'd still be getting a bunch of average to below average players. With the Bengal's FO back then; you'd probably get a bunch of Charles Fishers, Craig Yeasts, and Nick Luchey's. 

The biggest mistake in the franchise's history was who Paul Brown picked to replace him as HC. followed closely by not shutting down Greg Cook after he got injured in game 3 of his rookie season and giving him cortisonezone shots instead.   
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have pondered this very seriously for 10 minutes and i have got it!

Not keeping beers at the stadium the same price they were in 1988!
Reply/Quote
Not making Lewis Billups use Stick'em.
Reply/Quote
Not investing in free agency til 2020. Not investing in the fans til 2021 is right up there too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hell…expand this to other teams. They all have their faux pas.

-Browns….firing Belicheck
-NO-hiring Ditka
-Steelers…letting Bill Cowher walk
-Raiders…Norv Turner and Lane Kiffin

ETC!
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 02:09 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Hell…expand this to other teams.  They all have their faux pas.

-NO-hiring Ditka

ETC!

I would go with the Bill Walsh one over the 1999 draft as well, given how crappily the team was run at the time. I think that in the not too distant future, drafting Myles Murphy instead of trading down and getting a lot more draft picks will probably become the third worst decision the organization made. I'm sorry, but any argument that says that Murphy is an elite pass rusher despite not having a good pass rushing move and instead being able to get by with speed reminds me way too much of the arguments to defend John Ross. Everyone who uses videos to demonstrate Murphy's potential uses footage from games against FCS, G5, or lower-tier ACC competition where Murphy was able to get by because of speed, but he had zero sacks when he lined up against NFL-quality linemen.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 02:09 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Hell…expand this to other teams.  They all have their faux pas.

-NO-hiring Ditka

ETC!
Mike Tomlin >>> Bill Cowher  Whatever
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2023, 02:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't have to pretend. Edge had 15,610 total yards and 91 TDs in his career, while Dillon had 13,154 total yards and 89 TDs.

WTS, the point was the 99 draft was terrible. IF you could look at it in hindsight and hand-pick every pick, you'd still be getting a bunch of average to below average players. With the Bengal's FO back then; you'd probably get a bunch of Charles Fishers, Craig Yeasts, and Nick Luchey's. 

The biggest mistake in the franchise's history was who Paul Brown picked to replace him as HC. followed closely by not shutting down Greg Cook after he got injured in game 3 of his rookie season and giving him cortisonezone shots instead.   

Gotta agree. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 03:15 PM)dxdtdemon Wrote: I would go with the Bill Walsh one over the 1999 draft as well, given how crappily the team was run at the time. I think that in the not too distant future, drafting Myles Murphy instead of trading down and getting a lot more draft picks will probably become the third worst decision the organization made. I'm sorry, but any argument that says that Murphy is an elite pass rusher despite not having a good pass rushing move and instead being able to get by with speed reminds me way too much of the arguments to defend John Ross. Everyone who uses videos to demonstrate Murphy's potential uses footage from games against FCS, G5, or lower-tier ACC competition where Murphy was able to get by because of speed, but he had zero sacks when he lined up against NFL-quality linemen.

Uh, you miss the Georgia game?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Obviously not the worst, but my first thought came to this. Man did I hate it when they got the defense to jump and Carson would take a knee. Sometimes resulting in a 2nd or 3rd and 11 because the guy got back onside in time. Cowardice
Reply/Quote
Letting Andrew Whitworth walk hurts, and signing Antonio Bryant, WR, who was probably injured at the time I think scared MB from signing FA's for years to come.
Reply/Quote
Picking Akili carried a massive opportunity cost, but I'll go with what started the Bungles era. We were smack dab in the middle of it by 1999. Who knows how those picks would have even panned out. The team was in quicksand by then and in need of a complete regime change imo.

For me, the Bungles started with the two Daves: Shula and Klingler. Shula was completely out of his depth, while Klingler amounted to zilch. Pair those two with a new owner and you had a troika of key roles suffering in the shadows of their predecessors: QB/Esiason, head coach/Wyche and owner/PB. In retrospect it seems like the ultimate recipe for losing, and the Bungles were born.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 03:19 PM)Bengal Roar Wrote: Letting Andrew Whitworth walk hurts, and signing Antonio Bryant, WR, who was probably injured at the time I think scared MB from signing FA's for years to come.

These are all good ones. Bryant, wow... what a disaster. Michael Westrbook too. Many of our FA wideouts have left something to be desired. In some ways TO was one of the better ones.  

Conversely, we've done remarkably well drafting them: Curtis, Brown, McGee, Pickens, Scott, Ocho, TJ, Slim, AJ, Jones, Sanu, Chase, Higgins.... not too many Jerome Simpsons or John Ross IIIs on the list. And some even liked Jerome Simpson. Ross belongs in his own category lol 
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 01:29 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Obviously not the worst, but my first thought came to this. Man did I hate it when they got the defense to jump and Carson would take a knee. Sometimes resulting in a 2nd or 3rd and 11 because the guy got back onside in time. Cowardice

It's funny how we're traumatized in different ways. Some of the most random things leave a mark haha 
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 11:43 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Mike Tomlin >>> Bill Cowher  Whatever

I think Cowher retired because his wife was terminally ill.  Anyways, any time the Steelers flop in the playoffs the Steeler fans point out that "Tomlin won with Cowher's players."
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown letting his son take over.

Mike Brown has been nothing short of a disaster in his 30+ years.

10 winning seasons in 32 years under mike.

Only team w three 9 game+ losing streaks

Bengals own 6 of the 25 all time 0-6 starts during his run

And 4 of the 13 all time 0-8 starts while under mike.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 04:07 PM)tms Wrote: These are all good ones. Bryant, wow... what a disaster. Michael Westrbook too. Many of our FA wideouts have left something to be desired. In some ways TO was one of the better ones. 

LaVeranues Coles. He went from dangerous WR to out of the league. He hit the wall hard and looked like he was coming back after not playing for a few years.

Lots of 'great/bad' choices above . . . a few lesser events

Losing Max Montoya to the Raiders in plan B free agency hurt real bad.
The Throwin' Samoan.
Letting Peter Warrick and Levi Jones come back too soon just for a playoff push.
Drafting players and giving them new positions . . . Trying to teach DE Reinard Wilson how to be a LB. Jackson Carman.
Re-signing George Iloka instead of Reggie Nelson and thinking Shawn Williams could replace Nelson, thus exposing Iloka as a major liability. Reggie Nelson made George Iloka a lot of money.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote