Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst To First?
Granted that it does have us 6th out of 8 division bottoms to go from worst-to-first, but CBS Sports does have a few interesting points, like the teams going to the Super Bowl in the season following a last place finish and leading in 12 of the 16 games we lost!

I think we could surprise some people if our offensive line holds up!

Quote:6. Cincinnati Bengals
2019 record: 2-14
Odds to win AFC North: +3000

The Bengals finished with the worst record in the NFL last year, so it might seem a little crazy to be talking about them as a potential division winner, but it's something that could absolutely happen if Joe Burrow has a big season. Although rookie quarterbacks tend to struggle during their first year on the job, there have been a few cases where the QB comes in and totally revitalizes the franchise. For instance, after the Colts went 2-14 in 2011, Andrew Luck came in as a rookie and led them to an 11-5 record in 2012. The Bengals definitely have some huge question marks going into the season (their offensive line, their entire defense), but this is also a team that held a lead in 12 of the 16 games they played last year, which means they might be better than they were given credit for.

Fun fact: The idea of betting on the Bengals to get to the Super Bowl might seem crazy, but they've done it before following a last place season. Actually, they've done it twice: Both Super Bowl appearances in franchise history (1981, 1988) came after a season where the Bengals finished in last place (1980, 1987)

I just need football back!

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
Regardless of the OL holding up or not, sadly I don't see the Bengals realistically beating the Ravens right now and that's what would likely need to happen in order to go to the Super Bowl.

Maybe if Lamar got hurt?

- - - - - - - -

Also obligatory....

[Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Regardless of the OL holding up or not, sadly I don't see the Bengals realistically beating the Ravens right now and that's what would likely need to happen in order to go to the Super Bowl.

Maybe if Lamar got hurt?

- - - - - - - -

Also obligatory....

Things change quickly in the nfl, we’ll see if the ravens can keep their steam. Lots of people watched that titans game and have learned from it
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Regardless of the OL holding up or not, sadly I don't see the Bengals realistically beating the Ravens right now and that's what would likely need to happen in order to go to the Super Bowl.

Maybe if Lamar got hurt?

- - - - - - - -

Also obligatory....

The Ravens are definitely the team to beat and from what I saw of this Free Agency in bringing in sure tacklers the coaches 
and FO know it. Never seen a FA like this. Reader, Bell, Alexander, Bynes, Waynes etc.

Have to tackle Lamar and hit him hard. Need a physical Defense and these are proven players unlike our rookies.

We will see with the rookies and the O-line but man, I think the Defense is really going to improve this season after all of 
these moves if the players can stay healthy. That shit the last few years has been embarrassing. Cannot stand when teams 
run on us at will, drives me nuts and I am sure as hell it does the players and coaches.

(08-21-2020, 08:40 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Things change quickly in the nfl, we’ll see if the ravens can keep their steam. Lots of people watched that titans game and have learned from it

True.
Reply/Quote
BTW, thanks for the article Brad. Could happen with Burrow and the Defense improving big time, who knows?
Reply/Quote
Why not, I mean we are due for something good to happen. We made big time moves in the offseason including what looks to be a great draft on paper. The players really like ZT and are buying in big time. Excited to see how this plays out.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 08:58 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Why not, I mean we are due for something good to happen. We made big time moves in the offseason including what looks to be a great draft on paper. The players really like ZT and are buying in big time. Excited to see how this plays out.

I’m always skeptical on the ‘buy in’ factor. I imagine it’d be tough to buy in to a guy that just went 2-14. I think a lot of the departures from this last year was axing the guys who didn’t quite buy in. Still, as a Geno Atkins I’m not sure I’m fully confident in this guy yet. As fans, I think we have a very limited perspective on how the players really feel.
Reply/Quote
There's a rags to riches story nearly every season in the NFL, why not us ?

I'd be really happy with just a competitive team that's in the mix.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's 2020. Anything is possible. I win against the Steelers will last me into 2021.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we will win the division but making the playoffs isn't out of reach especially with there being 7 spots now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:11 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't think we will win the division but making the playoffs isn't out of reach especially with there being 7 spots now.

Reasons for optimism
1.) Two 1st RD picks and a early 2nd RD pick were added to the team. Burrow, Jonah, and Higgens.
2.) AJ Green appears to be back
3.) Active free agency
4.) Running game got better in the second half of the year
5.) Pass Defense improved tremendously at the end of last season. Last 6 games the Bengals Defense didn't allow a QB to complete 60% or over and the last 7 games they had 21 sacks.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Maybe if Lamar got hurt?

- - - - - - - -

Also obligatory....

With his playing style, it's a matter of when not if. The guy is an outstanding QB but his performance last year probably put a bullseye on him.

Not that I want the kid to get injured. I don't want that for any player. 
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t be real surprised to see the Bengals get a wildcard this year. They won’t beat the ravens. As a matter of fact I don’t think anyone will defeat the ravens this year including the Chiefs. I do like the direction this team is going though. Joe burrow is just so exciting to watch. He is the main reason i’m giving them hope for a wild-card spot.
Reply/Quote

Maybe if Lamar got hurt?

- - - - - - - -

Also obligatory....

Although it didn't appear as though their front office took anything for granted this offseason, remember how Mayfield admitted to not having the necessary preparation for his second year because things came fairly easy for him in year 1?  Jackson had best not be resting on last season.  Lots of teams will defend him differently this year and as much as he had designed runs, he is always at greater risk for injury as you said.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 10:03 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I wouldn’t be real surprised to see the Bengals get a wildcard this year. They won’t beat the ravens. As a matter of fact I don’t think anyone will defeat the ravens this year including the Chiefs. I do like the direction this team is going though. Joe burrow is just so exciting to watch. He is the main reason i’m giving them hope for a wild-card spot.

Their (Balt, KC) offenses are certainly frightening.  Their defenses?  I think Burrow as a mobile QB with great vision and a TON of weapons will be able to score on anyone.  Those defenses thrived on being ahead.  It might not be so easy against another potent offense.  
Reply/Quote
I had no idea Bengals went from last place to Super Bowl the only 2 times they made it.

That sure does provide a lot of optimism.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I see this as a crazy year. Injuries and players out due to virus will shape 2020. So, yes I can see if luck finally falls our way we have at least a playoff year.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
2011....First two picks in the draft were a QB and WR. Signed three new starters for our defense in free agency.

Sound familiar?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 2011....First two picks in the draft were a QB and WR. Signed three new starters for our defense in free agency.

Sound familiar?

Wildcard loss here we come!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 2011....First two picks in the draft were a QB and WR. Signed three new starters for our defense in free agency.

Sound familiar?

Good points and our 2 picks this year were in much better draft position of #1 versus #4 slot

Reply/Quote