Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Worst to First???
Last year we had the worst defense in football. With the moves we know they have already made, could this be one of, if not THE best defense this year? DJ Reader, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Sam Hubbard has to be one of the scariest Defensive lines in the league. And withe Zimmer's Corners we have improved the defensive backfield, which 2 years ago was rated 6th or 7th in the league? We know Pratt was coming into his own towards the end of last season and figuring it out. If they can grab a decent linebacker or two to cover the middle of the field, I don't know why this couldn't be the best unit in the league this coming season.

Now, add in an offensive line that we already know is being improved by the addition of Williams and the big Samoan, and a once in a decade QB being drafted in (and hopefully a Dalton for Thuney trade)..... I just can't help but feel it is finally the Bengals' time once again. IF we can just keep the injury bug away.
Ahhhhh. Springtime in Ohio. Flowers are blooming, rain is falling, and us Bengals fans have unrealistic optimism! Seriously, though, we should see significant improvement so long as all of these new players make it to opening day. Worst to first? I am not sure about that...
(03-20-2020, 12:33 PM)jerrydmc Wrote: Ahhhhh. Springtime in Ohio. Flowers are blooming, rain is falling, and us Bengals fans have unrealistic optimism! Seriously, though, we should see significant improvement so long as all of these new players make it to opening day. Worst to first? I am not sure about that...

Just talking about the defensive side of the ball.
What concerns me is that we seemed to have a good bit of talent on defense last year that just underperformed. I am worried about the coaching on that side of the ball. Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates have all looked better than they did last year. Our D-line should have been more efficient with Geno, Carlos, Hubbard and Billings.
(03-20-2020, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Last year we had the worst defense in football. With the moves we know they have already made, could this be one of, if not THE best defense this year? DJ Reader, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Sam Hubbard has to be one of the scariest Defensive lines in the league. And  withe Zimmer's Corners we have improved the defensive backfield, which 2 years ago was rated 6th or 7th in the league? We know Pratt was coming into his own towards the end of last season and figuring it out. If they can grab a decent linebacker or two to cover the middle of the field, I don't know why this couldn't be the best unit in the league this coming season.

Now, add in an offensive line that we already know is being improved by  the addition of Williams and the big Samoan, and a once in a decade QB being drafted in (and hopefully a Dalton for Thuney trade)..... I just can't help but feel it is finally the Bengals' time once again. IF we can just keep the injury bug away.

Awesome stuff. I hope they keep striving to get better in FA. If they do, we could be good next year and even better the following. As for injuries, as much as I hate to say it, how much of our injuries in the past may have been faked up up-played because the players weren't that into it? Maybe didn't want to end their careers here? Maybe none, but it does happen. As bad as the injury bug has hit us the last few seasons, one is left to wonder.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-20-2020, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What concerns me is that we seemed to have a good bit of talent on defense last year that just underperformed.  I am worried about the coaching on that side of the ball.  Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates have all looked better than they did last year.  Our D-line should have been more efficient with Geno, Carlos, Hubbard and Billings.

First year in a new system. This is the 2nd year, the vets ought to be much better in it I would think.
(03-20-2020, 12:33 PM)jerrydmc Wrote: Ahhhhh. Springtime in Ohio. Flowers are blooming, rain is falling, and us Bengals fans have unrealistic optimism! Seriously, though, we should see significant improvement so long as all of these new players make it to opening day. Worst to first? I am not sure about that...

Probably not, but still cool to hope for a colossal turnaround, which we will probably still see without a SB run. Joe

(03-20-2020, 12:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Awesome stuff. I hope they keep striving to get better in FA. If they do, we could be good next year and even better the following. As for injuries, as much as I hate to say it, how much of our injuries in the past may have been faked up up-played because the players weren't that into it? Maybe didn't want to end their careers here? Maybe none, but it does happen. As bad as the injury bug has hit us the last few seasons, one is left to wonder.

Well, we pretty much know AJ wasn't faking his injury, although he may have milked it for contract purposes. I thought Ross was faking, but I evidently owe him an apology because it seems he was worse than I thought. I highly doubt Price or Williams faked injuries in their first year. I really don't buy into that notion.
I think the Bengals have done a good job rebuilding their team.

They're still going to have a rookie QB starting though.

If we make 8-8, I'd be very happy.

I love where your head's at though. In the NFL, anything can happen!
(03-20-2020, 12:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Probably not, but still cool to hope for a colossal turnaround, which we will probably still see without a SB run. Joe

Our two Super Bowl appearances came after 4 win and 6 win seasons.

Our recent 5 year playoff run started after a 4 win season.

Last year at this time people were laughing at any Forty-niner fan who predicted a Super Bowl appearance.

Not going to put any money on us going to the Super Bowl this year, but anything is possible.
(03-20-2020, 12:50 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think the Bengals have done a good job rebuilding their team.

They're still going to have a rookie QB starting though.

Last time we started a rookie QB we made the playoffs.

And he was a second round pick instead of #1 overall.

Who Dey
(03-20-2020, 12:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last time we started a rookie QB we made the playoffs.

And he was a second round pick instead of #1 overall.

Who Dey

I am all in on the optimism. I'm just saying if we don't make it to the playoffs, I'm not going to be worried about Burrow, because he'd be just a rookie.

Rookie QB success is fantastic, but it's not required or even expected in a lot of cases.
I'm a realist and the answer is no. We will be significantly better against the run but we lack even decent lbers right now to work the middle and help stuff the run.

Best we can do right now is middle of the pack imo. Definitely top 20. Our lbers are complete trash and would not be on any other roster save for pratt.
Don't sell yourself short. From worst to '85 Bears???

It could happen.
(03-20-2020, 01:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't sell yourself short.  From worst to '85 Bears???

It could happen.

'85 Bears only won one Super Bowl.

I am seeing more of an extended dynasty for the Bengals with Burrow.
(03-20-2020, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Last year we had the worst defense in football. With the moves we know they have already made, could this be one of, if not THE best defense this year? DJ Reader, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Sam Hubbard has to be one of the scariest Defensive lines in the league. And  withe Zimmer's Corners we have improved the defensive backfield, which 2 years ago was rated 6th or 7th in the league? We know Pratt was coming into his own towards the end of last season and figuring it out. If they can grab a decent linebacker or two to cover the middle of the field, I don't know why this couldn't be the best unit in the league this coming season.

Now, add in an offensive line that we already know is being improved by  the addition of Williams and the big Samoan, and a once in a decade QB being drafted in (and hopefully a Dalton for Thuney trade)..... I just can't help but feel it is finally the Bengals' time once again. IF we can just keep the injury bug away.

I think the coaching has to improve big time but those are a lot of nice players in place.
(03-20-2020, 12:55 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I am all in on the optimism. I'm just saying if we don't make it to the playoffs, I'm not going to be worried about Burrow, because he'd be just a rookie.

Rookie QB success is fantastic, but it's not required or even expected in a lot of cases.

Well when I said worst to first?, I'm actually just talking about the defensive side of the ball. The Dline has to be one of the top in the league, and like I pointed out, the backfield, which just 2 season ago was 7th, just got better. We have the rest of free agency and cut downs , plus the whole draft open to find LBers who can cover. I think we'll be closer to 1st this year than worst. Reader and Atkins are both game wreckers. Put them together.... good luck keeping the QB upright.
(03-20-2020, 01:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well when I said worst to first?, I'm actually just talking about the defensive side of the ball. The Dline has to be one of the top in the league, and like I pointed out, the backfield, which just 2 season ago was 7th, just got better. We have the rest of free agency and cut downs , plus the whole draft open to find LBers who can cover. I think we'll be closer to 1st this year than worst. Reader and Atkins are both game wreckers. Put them together.... good luck keeping the QB upright.

We are going to a 3-4 hybrid too so there will be an adjustment process for the guys used to playing in a 4-3. Even though I think 
this might suit players like Hubbard and Lawson much more with this move. It is possible, we have lots of good to great players on 
Defense and I really like Germaine Pratt. We will have to add Linebackers just to fill roster spots at some point.

Also with Burrow coming in and our run game getting much better towards the end of last season we might actually be able to keep
the Defense somewhat fresh.
Worst to second might be possible.

I don't think Mayfield is taking the stains anywhere, no matter how many high priced FA's they being in. And while the Steelers will never suck, they will be beatable, Ben or no Ben.

But I cannot see the Ratbirds going anywhere. Lemar probably won't be the MVP again and that offense won't be sneaking up on anybody any more and dominating the league. But they are just so well run and well coached. And Lemar is legit and he will do the work to improve. OTOH, if somebody does knock him out of a game or games, RGIII is a shadow of Lemar.

All in all, I see the Rats staying on top of the division.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Worst to first...

[Image: AR-311159875.jpg&updated=201811151437&Ma...order&Q=80]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]