Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Worst to First???
(03-20-2020, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Last year we had the worst defense in football. With the moves we know they have already made, could this be one of, if not THE best defense this year? DJ Reader, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Sam Hubbard has to be one of the scariest Defensive lines in the league. And  withe Zimmer's Corners we have improved the defensive backfield, which 2 years ago was rated 6th or 7th in the league? We know Pratt was coming into his own towards the end of last season and figuring it out. If they can grab a decent linebacker or two to cover the middle of the field, I don't know why this couldn't be the best unit in the league this coming season.

Now, add in an offensive line that we already know is being improved by  the addition of Williams and the big Samoan, and a once in a decade QB being drafted in (and hopefully a Dalton for Thuney trade)..... I just can't help but feel it is finally the Bengals' time once again. IF we can just keep the injury bug away.

Sorry, but not even close...I would be thrilled if they were mid-pack.  Opposing teams only need ONE weakness, a glaring hole, to exploit.  That hole is still possibly Dre K, and if not him, Shawn Williams is still starting, and if not him, our LB corps (although improving) are one injury away from rolling out Hardy Nickerson, Jr (or turd equivalent).  They need significant upgrades on the LB starters, depth, SS starter, depth, and CB starter.  They have done pretty well on CB depth.  

I am not trying to poo-poo what they have done this year....I am thrilled, but the fools gold of improvement we saw at the end of last season is from playing pathetic offenses.  They need to keep going.  Need to crush the draft with at least two solid LBs and a ball-hawking safety.  

They could still sign Clowney (I know, I know....) with the money saved from cutting Dre and releasing/trading Dalton.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-20-2020, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We are going to a 3-4 hybrid too so there will be an adjustment process for the guys used to playing in a 4-3. Even though I think 
this might suit players like Hubbard and Lawson much more with this move. It is possible, we have lots of good to great players on 
Defense and I really like Germaine Pratt. We will have to add Linebackers just to fill roster spots at some point.

Also with Burrow coming in and our run game getting much better towards the end of last season we might actually be able to keep
the Defense somewhat fresh.

Probably the most underappreciated factor about the defense.  How pathetic the offense was at sustaining drives.  Look at KC....their defense was a lot better than most thought, but a lot of their success I give was to not being able to stop their offense.  With Burrow, Green, improved O-line play, Mixon, and further development of Tate, Ross, Sample, etc.  The offense will be the defense's best friend.  Or, so I hope.  
(03-20-2020, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What concerns me is that we seemed to have a good bit of talent on defense last year that just underperformed.  I am worried about the coaching on that side of the ball.  Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates have all looked better than they did last year.  Our D-line should have been more efficient with Geno, Carlos, Hubbard and Billings.

I agree, but the fact that they got better over the course of the season suggests that part of it was scheme to player fit. Some of our players adjusted to the scheme, others do't seem fit for it. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
(03-21-2020, 11:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Probably the most underappreciated factor about the defense.  How pathetic the offense was at sustaining drives.  Look at KC....their defense was a lot better than most thought, but a lot of their success I give was to not being able to stop their offense.  With Burrow, Green, improved O-line play, Mixon, and further development of Tate, Ross, Sample, etc.  The offense will be the defense's best friend.  Or, so I hope.  

Yeah, it is not a coincidence that we were the worst Offense in the league last year and our Defense was also surprisingly
bad. It doesn't matter how good your Defense is if they are always on the field, eventually they will get tired.
(03-20-2020, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Last year we had the worst defense in football. With the moves we know they have already made, could this be one of, if not THE best defense this year? DJ Reader, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Sam Hubbard has to be one of the scariest Defensive lines in the league. And  withe Zimmer's Corners we have improved the defensive backfield, which 2 years ago was rated 6th or 7th in the league? We know Pratt was coming into his own towards the end of last season and figuring it out. If they can grab a decent linebacker or two to cover the middle of the field, I don't know why this couldn't be the best unit in the league this coming season.

Now, add in an offensive line that we already know is being improved by  the addition of Williams and the big Samoan, and a once in a decade QB being drafted in (and hopefully a Dalton for Thuney trade)..... I just can't help but feel it is finally the Bengals' time once again. IF we can just keep the injury bug away.

A Mt Rushmore type take.  How we looking? 
(12-21-2020, 12:27 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: A Mt Rushmore type take.  How we looking? 

Nice, dig up an old prediction thread without making any reference to the fact that of the new defensive weapons I was talking about, we lost almost all of them. Waynes, Reader, Alexander, Wrenn, , Geno's hurt, Dunlap was uninterested. We DID grab a decent linebacker in Wilson. Did you miss my last sentence "IF we can just  keep the injury bug away? You failed....
(12-21-2020, 02:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Nice, dig up an old prediction thread without making any reference to the fact that of the new defensive weapons I was talking about, we lost almost all of them. Waynes, Reader, Alexander, Wrenn, , Geno's hurt, Dunlap was uninterested. We DID grab a decent linebacker in Wilson. Did you miss my last sentence "IF we can just  keep the injury bug away? You failed....

Yep. Bengals only team to have injuries in all of nfl

If they had reader and Waynes they’d have 11 wins. Lol!
(12-21-2020, 12:27 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: A Mt Rushmore type take.  How we looking? 

This is a CoC violation:
  • Bumping an old thread(s) for the specific purpose of demonstrating that a member/opinion was wrong, or purposely bumping multiple 'dead threads' (30 or more days without a post).

Refrain from bumping old threads for the purpose above. These offenses can lead to suspension or lifetime bans based on severity. In this case I'm just locking the thread.