Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you bring Andre Smith back?
There are rumblings that the Bengals will either retain Whitworth or Zeitler. I'd prefer Zeitler as he is younger. That means we would have 2 Tackle spots to fill.

I'd prefer to not have to use a 1st Round pick on one. I think Fisher can hold down 1 spot.

Assuming Smith's arm is healed, would you bring him back for 2-3 years?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 02:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There are rumblings that the Bengals will either retain Whitworth or Zeitler. I'd prefer Zeitler as he is younger. That means we would have 2 Tackle spots to fill.

I'd prefer to not have to use a 1st Round pick on one. I think Fisher can hold down 1 spot.

Assuming Smith's arm is healed, would you bring him back for 2-3 years?

Assuming that he's healthy, and affordable. (which he should be).  Yes.
Reply/Quote
In a heartbeat. Andre had his problems but could block his man the vast majority of the time.
Reply/Quote
If he can't stay healthy, back to square 1. (Andre)

I think if we can retain both,(Zeitler, Whit) the organization needs to retain both.

Drafting at that spot would help down the line, but we need immediate help now.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 02:25 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: If he can't stay healthy, back to square 1. (Andre)

I think if we can retain both,(Zeitler, Whit) the organization needs to retain both.

Drafting at that spot would help down the line, but we need immediate help now.

I think Whitworth is going to go chase a championship.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 02:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Whitworth is going to go chase a championship.

No doubt, I agree, I think he needs to be a big part of that. 

PFF has Zeitler ranked #8 overall of 2017 free-agents right now in a recognized list of 10:

8. Kevin Zeitler, G, Cincinnati Bengals

After being drafted in the first round in 2012, Zeitler (84.6) has played at least 800 snaps in all four years with the Bengals. Cincinnati picked up his fifth-year option this offseason, which will push him to 2017’s free-agent market. In all four seasons, he has graded above-average as a run-blocker and improved each year. He was the only right guard in 2015 with 500 or more pass-blocks and no sacks allowed.

LINK

10. David DeCastro, RG, Pittsburgh Steelers

While DeCastro (83.4) had a slow start to the season (as well as a slow end), he was the third best guard in football for the middle 12 weeks of the 2015 season, behind only Marshal Yanda and Richie Incognito. He is solid in both run- and pass-blocking situations, and is one of just 10 active guards with a PFF grade above 80.0 in both of those facets of play.

Bell, and DebagCastro are both up, should be an interesting off season for them.

Reply/Quote
I would take Andre back easily. But at times his relationship here got rocky so i don't know if we are his preferred choice, where he stands with us.
Reply/Quote
That's going to suck if the Bengals get rid of Big Whit....He's been here forever
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Andre was getting abused in Minnesota prior to his injury. He's past his prime. No....
Reply/Quote
He was getting abused here as well before he left, he lost a lot of his weight, and had a decent-above average season his last season here, but I personally would not be 'thrilled' to have him back. If he was dedicated to this team, he could have lost weight, and trained better while he was here, but he waited for a contract year, even through the Bengals picked up his deal, he waited until his last season...He moved on, Bengals need to move forward without him as well in my opinion. New signing, injured after 4 games...

Reply/Quote
Andre was always solid both games he was healthy every season. If he'd play for a little over league minimum as a backup, sure. If the plan is as a starter, no thanks. Andre was only ever as good as his backup.
Reply/Quote
I say no.  Keep Whit for 2 more years.  Fisher will get better.  Take a center and OT somewhere in the first 5 rounds.  If Hooker, William's, and Foster gone by 9th pick the team takes Robinson, the best tackle in draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't re-sign Smith. We moved on with Fischer and Ced (oh well). We need to focus on re-signing Whit to a contract that would ensure he retires in stripes. He can play LT until he says he's ready to move inside or retire. Yes, we need a back up, but that's always true.

Zeitler is also a priority, but with PacMan's situation, I'd be more concerned about keeping Dre K. I don't know how much money they'll have to keep both, plus I think we need to be more aggressive in FA this year. I know we always say that, but I'd rather sign Veteran Olinemen who are worth a damn rather than drafting a rookie to have to groom for a year or more. I don't know if that applies to Centers. TJ Johnson might be better than Bodine, but we need a legit starting Center. Rookie or FA? I lean toward FA, but I've read you guys saying great things about the kid from Ohio State.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Two cliches come to mind.

You can't catch lightning in a bottle.

You can't go home again.

He wouldn't be the first to come back. But I wonder if the love is there on either side.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 03:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I say no.  Keep Whit for 2 more years.  Fisher will get better.  Take a center and OT somewhere in the first 5 rounds.  If Hooker, William's, and Foster gone by 9th pick the team takes Robinson, the best tackle in draft.

Whitworth has to WANT to stay with the Bengals.

He may take less money to go to a team like the Patriots to chase a ring.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 03:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I say no.  Keep Whit for 2 more years.  Fisher will get better.  Take a center and OT somewhere in the first 5 rounds.  If Hooker, William's, and Foster gone by 9th pick the team takes Robinson, the best tackle in draft.

Drafting a LT in the 1st Round would be a huge waste. There are so many other elite players at that pick that could help the team.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 04:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Whitworth has to WANT to stay with the Bengals.

He may take less money to go to a team like the Patriots to chase a ring.

Andrew Whitworth signed a 1 year, $9,000,000 contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $3,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $9,000,000. In 2016, Whitworth will earn a base salary of$5,800,000, a roster bonus of $1,000,000 and a workout bonus of $200,000.

Kevin Zeitler signed a 4 year, $7,544,200 contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, including a $3,926,692 signing bonus, $6,125,446 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,886,050. In 2016, Zeitler will earn a base salary of $8,070,000. Zeitler has a cap hit of $8,070,000 while his dead money value is $8,070,000.

numbers game.

Maybe we can franchise tag Zeitler, resign Whit on a two year deal...?

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 04:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
Drafting a LT in the 1st Round would be a huge waste.
There are so many other elite players at that pick that could help the team.

Agreed. 

Need experienced help now. Just a few steps away from going back to the post-season, we can't wait for a rookie to develop... I.E. the Ogbuehi experience of '16.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 02:34 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: No doubt, I agree, I think he needs to be a big part of that. 

PFF has Zeitler ranked #8 overall of 2017 free-agents right now in a recognized list of 10:

8. Kevin Zeitler, G, Cincinnati Bengals

After being drafted in the first round in 2012, Zeitler (84.6) has played at least 800 snaps in all four years with the Bengals. Cincinnati picked up his fifth-year option this offseason, which will push him to 2017’s free-agent market. In all four seasons, he has graded above-average as a run-blocker and improved each year. He was the only right guard in 2015 with 500 or more pass-blocks and no sacks allowed.

LINK

10. David DeCastro, RG, Pittsburgh Steelers

While DeCastro (83.4) had a slow start to the season (as well as a slow end), he was the third best guard in football for the middle 12 weeks of the 2015 season, behind only Marshal Yanda and Richie Incognito. He is solid in both run- and pass-blocking situations, and is one of just 10 active guards with a PFF grade above 80.0 in both of those facets of play.

Bell, and DebagCastro are both up, should be an interesting off season for them.

Decastro signed 6 year 68 million dollar contact earlier.  I'm pretty sure we are losing zeitler.   Damn we need to keep both Whit n Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
Why in the hell can't we sign both? We'll have over $40 million in cap space.
Reply/Quote