Poll: Would you vote to use public funding (tax dollars) to build the Bengals next stadium?
No. Im sick of it. Leave town if you want, im not paying for your stadium again.
Yes. Im willing to pay to keep my favorite team in the city that I live in at all costs.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you publicly fund another stadium or let the franchise leave Cincinnati?
The tax would not effect me in Louisville so hard for me to say.

Will say that if Bengals leave that unlike others I will not switch cities and still be a diehard fan.

May have a slight interest in beginning from being so invested for entire life. But as my favorite players retired it would fade away,
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm with some others here in that it doesn't directly affect me like it does you guys that would live in the area, being a fan from a far.

That being said I can relate as this is similar to what my local soccer team over here is going through with there owner and therefore could completely understand the frustration and anger it could cause if they try to leverage a tax payer funded deal within a short timeframe.

If the club got its way and stayed with the funding and you guys were angry I wouldn't blame you at all.

If you stood your ground and they left, again I couldn't and wouldn't fault you for being peeved but as it wouldn't directly affect me I would probably still support the team after they moved.

Which is I suppose somewhat hypocritical as I am not sure if I could with my soccer team if that happened.

In summary apparently I have no morales. Sorry guys.
Reply/Quote
I don't see Mike Brown looking to make that play until we get over the playoff hump, and possibly win a Super Bowl. Then, he will want a new stadium. I just hope he goes with a roof this time, if for no other reason than crowd noise and a warm place to practice.
Reply/Quote
I voted YES, even if the description allows for some ridiculous options. The reason is not just my love for the team (although if they left, I doubt I would root for them) but that I feel it provides a great deal to the area. Lots of businesses benefit from a team in the city, as well as the surrounding areas where these players contribute financially and philanthropically.

I get that a lot of people are pounding their collective chests over the city that stood up the rich, tyrant of an owner and that they feel like they are "sticking it to the man", but there will be other cities that would gladly pony up the money for a team and now SD will just be another city that used to have a team....which they never really supported anyway.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:43 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Cincinnati couldn't afford the kind of super stadium they are building now.

This is an interesting point.  Naming rights would certainly have to be a part of the next stadium, and I have kind of always liked that we don't have "Cheez-Wizz Stadium" or something like that....

The other consideration is that it would have to be a dome.  That would allow for concerts, motocross, etc. to utilize the stadium year round.  I think that was a big oversight building PBS.  With the fan experience so amazing at home, no one wants to sit in crappy weather.

Where it could be more conceivable than what has been going on in NY, Dallas, and LA, is that it need not be 80,000 capacity.  I think the capacity is fine right where it is.  And I feel like the Club Seat Lounge areas is where a great deal of money was spent last time around in terms of attention to detail and higher-end accomidations. If the stadium were a dome, hopefully with a retractable roof or sides, as in Indy, there wouldn't need to be such a huge space created for "indoor feel" to keep the wimpy Club Seat folks from getting wet.  Sorry, I couldn't resist....pisses me off how those great seats are hardly ever occupied if the weather is the slightest bit off.  They are all back in the lounge, socializing, and maybe watching on TV....which most of us have far better TVs at home Wink

If it came to a vote, I am 100% certain it would fail miserably.  People would rail on the Bengals for not winning a playoff game, for stupid player actions, for keeping Marv, etc.  And I really doubt the people in the greater Cincinnati area would want any more taxes...EVEN THOUGH THE IMPACT IS MINIMALLY FELT BY THE INDIVIDUAL.

It is easy for me to look down my nose at them when I live in Montgomery County.  Since I graduated, the county tax here has grown from 6.25% to 7.25%, way ahead of the Butler County rate of 6.5%.  FWIW, Cuyahoga is 8%.

The bottom line is:  our opinions would not matter because people would never vote another tax rate and I doubt you could convince P&G to pony up millions to have the Club Lounge named after them and a section of seats "for life", nor would a hospital group like the CHP ever dontate that much, either.  

Even if the Brown family ponied up 50% cost of a billion dollar stadium, and it created more jobs, events, etc. in the community, the Butler County voters would never pass it.  
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown should shrewdly retain AJ McCarron, demand a new stadium, then move the team to Tuscaloosa or something.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 12:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't see Mike Brown looking to make that play until we get over the playoff hump, and possibly win a Super Bowl. Then, he will want a new stadium. I just hope he goes with a roof this time, if for no other reason than crowd noise and a warm place to practice.

Mike will likely be dead before this team ever wins another playoff game, let alone having a SB-winning team to hold as leverage over the city.  Seriously, if he wins this city a SB, give him whatever he wants and hell, put that promise in writing.  No danger of it happening, so no harm.  

(01-14-2017, 01:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is an interesting point.  Naming rights would certainly have to be a part of the next stadium, and I have kind of always liked that we don't have "Cheez-Wizz Stadium" or something like that....

The other consideration is that it would have to be a dome.  That would allow for concerts, motocross, etc. to utilize the stadium year round.  I think that was a big oversight building PBS.  With the fan experience so amazing at home, no one wants to sit in crappy weather.

Where it could be more conceivable than what has been going on in NY, Dallas, and LA, is that it need not be 80,000 capacity.  I think the capacity is fine right where it is.  And I feel like the Club Seat Lounge areas is where a great deal of money was spent last time around in terms of attention to detail and higher-end accomidations. If the stadium were a dome, hopefully with a retractable roof or sides, as in Indy, there wouldn't need to be such a huge space created for "indoor feel" to keep the wimpy Club Seat folks from getting wet.  Sorry, I couldn't resist....pisses me off how those great seats are hardly ever occupied if the weather is the slightest bit off.  They are all back in the lounge, socializing, and maybe watching on TV....which most of us have far better TVs at home Wink

If it came to a vote, I am 100% certain it would fail miserably.  People would rail on the Bengals for not winning a playoff game, for stupid player actions, for keeping Marv, etc.  And I really doubt the people in the greater Cincinnati area would want any more taxes...EVEN THOUGH THE IMPACT IS MINIMALLY FELT BY THE INDIVIDUAL.

It is easy for me to look down my nose at them when I live in Montgomery County.  Since I graduated, the county tax here has grown from 6.25% to 7.25%, way ahead of the Butler County rate of 6.5%.  FWIW, Cuyahoga is 8%.

The bottom line is:  our opinions would not matter because people would never vote another tax rate and I doubt you could convince P&G to pony up millions to have the Club Lounge named after them and a section of seats "for life", nor would a hospital group like the CHP ever dontate that much, either.  

Even if the Brown family ponied up 50% cost of a billion dollar stadium, and it created more jobs, events, etc. in the community, the Butler County voters would never pass it.  

Agree about the stadium (not the club seats remarks, I stay in my seat for the game regardless of weather as do many others).  Build a version of what they did in MN, with a 60,000 seat capacity and with acoustics to make us louder than the supposed super fans in Seattle.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 06:08 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Mike will likely be dead before this team ever wins another playoff game, let alone having a SB-winning team to hold as leverage over the city.  Seriously, if he wins this city a SB, give him whatever he wants and hell, put that promise in writing.  No danger of it happening, so no harm.  

Agree about the stadium (not the club seats remarks, I stay in my seat for the game regardless of weather as do many others).  Build a version of what they did in MN, with a 60,000 seat capacity and with acoustics to make us louder than the supposed super fans in Seattle.  
I agree... When they do replace PBS, they should at least copy the design of Seattle's stadium. Cover most of the seats, but leave the playing field exposed to the elements. I hear some fans suggest a dome. I'd just hate to be the first AFC North team to ***** out and play indoors.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think the better version of the questions is from the other side of this table: What other F'ing moronic fanbase would be willing to pony up money to get the Bengals to actually move there? Like, who would we as a fan base be actually competing against in this imaginary bidding war?

Freaking NOBODY. That's who. No need for the city of Cincinnati to bid against itself!
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 06:28 PM)jason Wrote: I agree... When they do replace PBS, they should at least copy the design of Seattle's stadium. Cover most of the seats, but leave the playing field exposed to the elements. I hear some fans suggest a dome. I'd just hate to be the first AFC North team to ***** out and play indoors.

I don't see it as pussying out.  It's getting the most functional facility for the dollars.  It's an entertainment venue, it should shelter its customers from the elements and be usable 365 days per year.  And, what are we worried about anyway, losing the "respect" of Steeler fans because we play in a dome?  If we want respect we need to knock the shit out of other teams, not worry about if our stadium has a roof.  

(01-14-2017, 09:03 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think the better version of the questions is from the other side of this table: What other F'ing moronic fanbase would be willing to pony up money to get the Bengals to actually move there? Like, who would we as a fan base be actually competing against in this imaginary bidding war?

Freaking NOBODY. That's who. No need for the city of Cincinnati to bid against itself!

Remember the Bengals of the '90s?  Yeah, they sucked ass.  Just a horrible, pathetic team, front office and moronic owner to boot.  Still, Baltimore courted them.  

Lose your football team, a few years go by, and you'll be desperate to get another one.  Give St. Louis and San Diego a few years and they too will be desperate and will start looking around for a team to pilfer and will come calling with a deal full of goodies for an owner willing to make the move.   Not saying it's a lock, just food for thought.  Cities that get screwed over start looking for other cities to screw over.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 06:08 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Mike will likely be dead before this team ever wins another playoff game,

Take just a second and think about just how pathetic it is that, a dude is in control of a team for a quarter century plus, and can't celebrate even one measly playoff win. 

It bottles the mind.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 10:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Take just a second and think about just how pathetic it is that, a dude is in control of a team for a quarter century plus, and can't celebrate even one measly playoff win. 

It bottles the mind.

That's just because the NFL is a monopolistic oligopoly.  This country is full of examples of people getting jobs/businesses because of who they are and not what they know, doing poorly, and losing said job or business.  Mike Brown is a combination of incompetent and unwilling to do what it takes to ascend higher than 12th place in the NFL.  If he ran any other business in a free-market a competing business would have run him out long ago.

His GM moves alone seem comparable to being a record executive that decided to sign the Kingsmen and passed on the Beatles...or something.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 01:39 PM)jason Wrote: Mike Brown should shrewdly retain AJ McCarron, demand a new stadium, then move the team to Tuscaloosa or something.

Shrewd: 
Adjective

1. having or showing sharp powers of judgment; astute

- - - - - - - - -

In no world is retaining McCarron, shrewd. Or moving to Tuscaloosa.

Tuscaloosa has a population of 90,000 in the city, 235,000 metro area. Compared to Cincinnati's 297,000 city population and 2.137m metro population, which is still considered a relatively small market for pro sports teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: With the Rams leaving St. Louis and the Chargers leaving San Diego, it got me thinking:

Would you stare down the Bengals owner and franchise and refuse to pay for a new publicly funded stadium at the chance of them leaving town, or would you let the organization continue to suck from the public's teet and shell out the taxes for the stadium?

Honestly, im not sure I could justify paying for another stadium. Its not even so much the money or cost of it, its the principal. Its the principal behind Mike Brown being the owner, how the last stadium deal went down, how he is notoriously not willing to spend his money on things that benefits fans, and quite honestly, how we havent had a playoff win in over two decades.

To be fair, I say that now but when push comes to shove im not sure I could handle seeing the Bengals leave.

It's interesting, though. There has been a lot of backlash and people standing up against the public funding of stadiums using tax dollars and im interested to see what some of you on the boards think, even though im sure the board is a BIT bias in favor of keeping the team.

Mikey Brown got the stadium he wanted. If he decides he doesn't like it he should be run out of town by folks with pitch forks, not pandered to.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Shrewd: 
Adjective

1. having or showing sharp powers of judgment; astute

- - - - - - - - -

In no world is retaining McCarron, shrewd. Or moving to Tuscaloosa.

Tuscaloosa has a population of 90,000 in the city, 235,000 metro area. Compared to Cincinnati's 297,000 city population and 2.137m metro population, which is still considered a relatively small market for pro sports teams.
There is no ninja emogi on Tapatalk... I thought it sounded so stupid that it would speak for itself. I was clowning the Alabama fans that showed up here after McCarron's arrival. At the same time though don't act like moving a team from Seattle to OKC, staging a Super Bowl in Jacksonville, and moving two garbage teams to LA made a lot of sense either.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 01:25 PM)jason Wrote: There is no ninja emogi on Tapatalk... I thought it sounded so stupid that it would speak for itself. I was clowning the Alabama fans that showed up here after McCarron's arrival. At the same time though don't act like moving a team from Seattle to OKC, staging a Super Bowl in Jacksonville, and moving two garbage teams to LA made a lot of sense either.

just type colon"ninja"colon

: ninja : (no spaces)
Ninja

voila

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 03:29 AM)J24 Wrote: For people wondering where the Bengals could move to Toronto, St.louis, Orlando, San Antonio, and London could be possible destinations to them. I don't think the Bengals will move though because it's an underrated market because of all the corporation's that are located in the city.
What I think you will see is that the Bengals will team up with Cincinnati FC to redo Paul Brown Stadium  with both NFL, MLS, and city Money. Along the Bengals and FC of course.

I think FC is staying at Nippert. They have a really good thing going there and I think they are locked in to a contract for the upcoming years. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 12:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't see Mike Brown looking to make that play until we get over the playoff hump, and possibly win a Super Bowl. Then, he will want a new stadium. I just hope he goes with a roof this time, if for no other reason than crowd noise and a warm place to practice.

Im with you. 

I dont mind PBS. I think it needs to be updated and renovated within the next few years, but I dont think its time to replace it anytime soon. 

Man would it be nice to have a retractable roof, though. It would make those January playoff losses all that easier to go to. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 12:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I voted YES, even if the description allows for some ridiculous options.   The reason is not just my love for the team (although if they left, I doubt I would root for them) but that I feel it provides a great deal to the area.  Lots of businesses benefit from a team in the city, as well as the surrounding areas where these players contribute financially and philanthropically.  

I get that a lot of people are pounding their collective chests over the city that stood up the rich, tyrant of an owner and that they feel like they are "sticking it to the man", but there will be other cities that would gladly pony up the money for a team and now SD will just be another city that used to have a team....which they never really supported anyway.

Just pointing this out... 

There isnt a ton of credible data that actually supports your point that an NFL team helps a city's economy. That notion has been debunked over the years. 
Reply/Quote
I'm a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals. If anything with that ever changes, I'm done with the NFL altogether, Bengals and all. Keep in mind, I'm way more of a college sports guy than pro. I only watch the NFL for the Bengals really...and if they move to a new state, I'll be done. I'm not nearly as engaged as I used to be anyway. So much to do in life. Hard to put in the time any more.
Reply/Quote