Poll: Would you vote to use public funding (tax dollars) to build the Bengals next stadium?
No. Im sick of it. Leave town if you want, im not paying for your stadium again.
Yes. Im willing to pay to keep my favorite team in the city that I live in at all costs.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you publicly fund another stadium or let the franchise leave Cincinnati?
(01-13-2017, 04:40 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I don't know about Katie, but I can't see Mike ever moving the team, because there is a $550 million relocation fee he would have to pay to the other owners. The Browns seem a lot more interested in cash flow than creating capital gains.
However, I CAN see Mikey threatening to move to pressure taxpayers to pony up. Personally I would tell him about that nasty screen door.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 05:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Wrong week to post these sentiments. What Bengals "fan" isn't reading the front page of the website every day during the offseason? Offseason's the best time to actually be a Bengals fan!

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Brown-Family-Receives-Award-for-Dedication-to-Community-Service/1497c9db-ea11-4535-ae18-1f851e357a63

Brown Family Receives Award for Dedication to Community Service
Posted Jan 12, 2017

Bengals president Mike Brown and his family received the Pillar Award for Community Service’s Kent Clapp CEO Leadership Award.
Bengals president Mike Brown and his family received the Pillar Award for Community Service’s Kent Clapp CEO Leadership Award. The award recognizes a top executive for his or her passion toward philanthropy and honors the late Kent Clapp, CEO of Medical Mutual, who died in a 2008 plane crash.
The Bengals have a strong commitment to making a difference in the community, generating more than $1 million each year for community groups. This includes direct Bengals corporate contributions, NFL Charities, and other efforts with business partners.
“We love being a part of the Greater Cincinnati community and want to do our part to help make the community better,” said Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn. “We have a big platform that gives us the opportunity to reach a lot of people that others can’t reach. Our goal is to amplify the already great work so many organizations, foundations and charities are doing in the Greater Cincinnati area.”
With more than 100 organizations supported each year, it would be hard for fans to not have their lives touched by an organization supported by the Bengals. Every level of the organization — from players to owners to coaches to staff — is involved in the effort.
Who wrote this? Hobson?
Reply/Quote
I love me some Bengals, but publicly funded sports stadiums are borderline criminal. Taxes are for helping starving people, infrastructure, education, public(free) entertainment, and the like. Didn't a bridge collapse in Cincinnati a couple of years ago? Maybe paying for some upkeep for that might have been a better investment than subsidizing a business that already rakes in outrageous TV revenue no matter how it performs?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:39 PM)jason Wrote: I don't live there, so it's not my issue... But, I'd let them leave. Why don't they just she'll out some money to renovate that dump?

PBS is far from being a dump
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Rant Evidently Mike Brown nor Katie read this forum. Because nothing ever changes with this team! It seems to be middle of the road year after year after year!
Reply/Quote
But on the other side of the coin, If by happenstance (IF) we win a Super Bowl. What would become of this forum, we wouldn't have anything to ***** about! LOL
Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If we want to keep a football franchise here eventually they will want a new stadium...  Now that will probly come after ownership transitition and our stadium is just over a decade old.    But i'd rather have a football team here than not.

I also don't live in Hamilton county.

Going into the 17th season there, I don't know that I would say just over a decade old.  To me that would be years 11 or 12...
Reply/Quote
What would happen if Mike opened it up to public stock funding ?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 08:25 PM)junglefever67 Wrote: But on the other side of the coin, If by happenstance (IF) we win a Super Bowl. What would become of this forum, we wouldn't have anything to ***** about! LOL
Facepalm

OH YES WE WOULD !!

Hilarious

There's always something !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 07:41 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: PBS is far from being a dump

This just speaks to the mindset we've been led to accept.  NFL stadiums have to be the only thing on earth that I can think of that are expect to cost a billion bucks to make and ALSO expected to be total garbage that must be replaced in 20 years.

I've had the same waffle iron for 30 years, but god forbid a stadium be expected to last that long.  Oh, and don't point out that Wrigley Field is 100 years old, or anything.
Reply/Quote
I love my Bengals and would hate to see them leave Cincy. I don't believe we should have to flip the bill for a new stadium but would most likely vote for it before I would let them leave.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 04:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I would never vote to increase my taxes to build stadiums for billionaires. They can afford to build there own damn stadiums. I read reports that cost benefit analysis of the economic impact of these stadium deals indicate it would be more beneficial to the city if they just dumped the money out of a helicopter as it flew by overhead.

You mention Cincinnati and dumping stuff out of a helicopter and my mind can't help but leap here:

[Image: image.png]

PBS is coming up on it's 18th season, which makes it about 7 years younger than the Georgia Dome, which the Falcons are getting ready to leave.  So, I'd imagine we're within a year or two of beginning a serious discussion on replacing PBS.  It was a nice place in 2000, but it's nothing like the palaces they're building now, and it lacks amenities in comparison.  

This is the price of being an NFL city.  If Cincinnati isn't willing to pay it, then another city will.  The question is, will the taxpayers offer up the necessary ransom?  Polls indicated the '96 referendum was headed for defeat, but then Art Model reminded everyone that this is a game played for keeps, and the Browns leaving gave enough folks pause for the referendum to pass the following spring.  Would the citizenry be inspired again?  Personally, I'm up in Dayton, so I'd be happy if you good folks in Hamilton County were to spring yet again for a new stadium (make this one a dome, please!).  But, if you didn't, I'd certainly understand why.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2017, 11:56 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: This is the price of being an NFL city.  If Cincinnati isn't willing to pay it, then another city will.  The question is, will the taxpayers offer up the necessary ransom?  Polls indicated the '96 referendum was headed for defeat, but then Art Model reminded everyone that this is a game played for keeps, and the Browns leaving gave enough folks pause for the referendum to pass the following spring.  Would the citizenry be inspired again?  Personally, I'm up in Dayton, so I'd be happy if you good folks in Hamilton County were to spring yet again for a new stadium (make this one a dome, please!).  But, if you didn't, I'd certainly understand why.  

I agree with the overall notion. I do think LA having 2 teams really takes away that semi-empty threat of moving teams had for 20 years.  I always recall complaints about the tax situation being met with responses of "Ok, well have it your way and we'll be seeing the LA Bengals before you know it!" so either that argument lacks weight now, or we need to change the city in the threat.

So LA has 2 teams, Las Vegas gets the Raiders, and then what is left?  Do teams threaten to move to a recently vacated city or what?
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is never going to move the team.

The Rams paid like a $550m relocation fee. Lets put the issue of $550m aside and pretend Mike Brown would actually pay that. (LOL)

Where in the US is he going to find a city with....
1. A large enough market to support an NFL team.
2. A public willingness to pay for the new stadium.
3. A city actually WANTING Mike Brown.

St Louis and San Diego can't be your answer to those questions because their teams just left for at least partly stadium reasons. It can't be LA, because they've already failed multiple times as an NFL city, and now have TWO franchises there to let fail.

....ain't gonna happin', Captain.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I voted to keep them. Hockey and football are the only sports I care about. The Reds being our only professional franchise would be a major bummer for me. Despite all the frustration they bring me, I'd never want to lose the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 12:42 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mike Brown is never going to move the team.

The Rams paid like a $550m relocation fee. Lets put the issue of $550m aside and pretend Mike Brown would actually pay that. (LOL)

Where in the US is he going to find a city with....
1. A large enough market to support an NFL team.
2. A public willingness to pay for the new stadium.
3. A city actually WANTING Mike Brown.

St Louis and San Diego can't be your answer to those questions because their teams just left for at least partly stadium reasons. It can't be LA, because they've already failed multiple times as an NFL city, and now have TWO franchises there to let fail.

....ain't gonna happin', Captain.
Vegas will take whoever. There's other cities that will throw money at an NFL team, especially one that stays competitive. Heck, look wt Jacksonville.
Reply/Quote
Two cities in the past two seasons now have moved. On a perspective, I wonder how the fans of St. Louis handled not having a team to watch this past season...

As of right now, 32 teams. Needs to be expanded (in my opinion) to 40.

I do not live in the Cincy area anymore, but I do miss not being in the mix of things during the season. It is a void I tried filling by helping out our local semi-pro team here. Lasted for about three seasons. My heart just wasn't in it compared to the Bengals...yup, strange.

I would feel bad if the team moved, left Cincinnati without a team, much like the new dis-enfranchised fans of St. Louis and San Diego.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 01:22 AM)Benton Wrote: Vegas will take whoever. There's other cities that will throw money at an NFL team, especially one that stays competitive. Heck, look wt Jacksonville.

Not sure I buy it. The Greater Vegas area is actually about 100k less people than the Greater Cincinnati area, and a lot of them are transplants from other places. I'm not sure I see a franchise succeeding there. Will visiting Jag/Redskin/Pats fans REALLY want to go see the Bengals vs Cardinals or something?

$550m for the transfer payment, another $1b-$1.5b for a stadium (both the stadium and practice complex need to be indoors), not to mention the cost of actually purchasing the land.

I don't see anyone shelling out $2b+ to get Mike Brown's 26 year playoff win drought.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CINwillWIN
Two cities in the past two seasons now have moved. On a perspective, I wonder how the fans of St. Louis handled not having a team to watch this past season...

As of right now, 32 teams. Needs to be expanded (in my opinion) to 40.

I do not live in the Cincy area anymore, but I do miss not being in the mix of things during the season. It is a void I tried filling by helping out our local semi-pro team here. Lasted for about three seasons. My heart just wasn't in it compared to the Bengals...yup, strange.

I would feel bad if the team moved, left Cincinnati without a team, much like the new dis-enfranchised fans of St. Louis and San Diego.

That would mean eight more starting quarterbacks who are worse than Brock Osweiler/Jared Goff/etc. The quality of play would be so terrible in a 40 team league.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
PBS would just need a major renovation, I dont think it has a 20-25 lifespan myself. Im guessing closer to 40, but I am not an engineer so I dont know. And then it would need an owner willing to spruce it up like the Reds owners have done with the Reds ballpark. Night and day between the two publicly funded stadiums.

But if the Bengals ever do leave, then I would be done with them, and wish the owner at that time nothing but the worse. Then I would find one of the best teams out there for the next few years and become a fan. Definitely wouldnt want to pick another Bengal-like organization for sure lol.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
For people wondering where the Bengals could move to Toronto, St.louis, Orlando, San Antonio, and London could be possible destinations to them. I don't think the Bengals will move though because it's an underrated market because of all the corporation's that are located in the city.
What I think you will see is that the Bengals will team up with Cincinnati FC to redo Paul Brown Stadium with both NFL, MLS, and city Money. Along the Bengals and FC of course.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote