Poll: Which do you prefer and why?
Sign Moton, draft Chase, and then OG
Sign Thuney, draft Sewell, and then WR
Sign either Thuney or Moton, and trade back for more picks
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you rather, an update:
I should have made my first poll a more detailed option. Folks (rightfully) chastised my selection of Chase over Sewell because I didn't have any other linemen mentioned as draft picks or FAs, so many assumed there would be no improvements on the offensive line.

This time, I offer three selections:

Scenario 1- Sign Moton to play RT, draft Chase, draft an OG in Rd 2 like D. Brown from Bama

Scenario 2- Sign Thuney to play LG, draft Sewell to play RT, and draft a WR in Rd 2 or later

Scenario 3- Sign either Thuney or Moton and take best trade back offer...the Bengals have too many needs not to go for more picks.

NOTE: I assumed Lawson and WJIII were re-signed in this scenario, as I understand if either were not signed, the Bengals would not likely go offense on both first picks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I went with scenario 1 as I see Moton as plug-and-play, and if paired with a mauler like Brown, could be a very tough run blocking side as well.  Adding Chase to the weapons for Burrow would make this offense lethal.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 10:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I went with scenario 1 as I see Moton as plug-and-play, and if paired with a mauler like Brown, could be a very tough run blocking side as well.  Adding Chase to the weapons for Burrow would make this offense lethal.

I voted #1 as well. Pitts instead of Chase would be fine as well.

At any rate this team still needs to upgrade the other WRs whether through draft or FA.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Re-signing Lawson and WJIII, signing Moton and drafting Chase would be an amazing off-season.

I expect hoping both Lawson and WJIII re-sign is pushing your luck, let alone Moton hitting the open market and then wanting to come to Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 10:32 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Re-signing Lawson and WJIII, signing Moton and drafting Chase would be an amazing off-season.

I expect hoping both Lawson and WJIII re-sign is pushing your luck, let alone Moton hitting the open market and then wanting to come to Cincy.

For some reason, I can't escape the feeling that WJIII won't re-sign and they won't waste the franchise tag....maybe something like the transition tag, but why work so hard to keep the guy when he seems to not want to be here.  Rarely works out.

If WJIII is gone, you can bet that 2nd round pick will be a CB, or maybe they trade back and get one in the first if both Sewell and Chase are gone (and can get more than one first, because OT would still be job 1).  

I hate that scenario.  I really hope WJIII will sign and want to be here, but I fear that my hopes are going to be dashed.  Seems like he has always had one foot out the door.  
Reply/Quote
Thuney is premium talent.  Sewell has a shot at being a premium talent.  Duh.  Who the hell is this Moton guy anyway?  An average-ish RT?  Who cares?
Reply/Quote
Adding both Thuney and Sewell to our OL seems like by far the most attractive scenario.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 11:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Adding both Thuney and Sewell to our OL seems like by far the most attractive scenario.

This, absolutely!
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 10:44 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Thuney is premium talent.  Sewell has a shot at being a premium talent.  Duh.  Who the hell is this Moton guy anyway?  An average-ish RT?  Who cares?

Taylor Moton is one of the best right tackles in the NFL he is a PROVEN premium talent. I'm a fan of Penei Sewell but Moton is the guy if he can be picked up in free agency.

As to the OP: I want nothing to do with Duane Brown. At Alabama he played well in his phone booth but the Senior Bowl coaches asked a little more climbing, pulling, and blocking screens and he looked so very slow. In a zone blocking scheme like Pollacks he would struggle.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 11:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Adding both Thuney and Sewell to our OL seems like by far the most attractive scenario.

Agreed - more Oline all the time
Reply/Quote
Thuney/Sewell gets my vote
I would love to get Chase but I want to be sure that the O line is fixed before anything else.
That would make for a very good OL.
Reply/Quote
I voted Thuney and Sewell as well. I think the goal should be long term success with starts with full focus on the trenches. We aren’t going to the Super Bowl next year, so let’s build a line for the future of Joe.

Rest of the draft and free agency splash should be defense. We need pass rush.
Reply/Quote
Scenario two. Protect Burrow and watch as his skills make a lot of money for the RBs, WRs, and TEs playing with him.
Reply/Quote
Moton and that big dude from the senior bowl that was killing people lol
Reply/Quote
I would bet Carolina is going to tag Moton anyway. Especially if they add a rookie QB.

Reply/Quote
I went option 2. Double down on OL. We don't just need a starting set, we need to be prepared for injuries and have depth. We all just saw what happened to KC's potent offense when their OL had to turn to depth and back-ups. Some of that was certainly game-planning by the Bucs, but the Bengals have struggled mightily with OL depth and if you can bring in a FA you shore it up immediately, and through the draft add depth and build for the future.
Reply/Quote
I went option 2 but I'd be good getting a free agent WR like TY Hilton or Curtis Samuel in free agency for a reasonable price and using that 2nd rounder on something else(OG,DL,TE,CB).

Imagine a line of Williams - Thuney - Hopkins - ? - Sewell.

Even if RG isn't perfect that line would be a major upgrade, if we went OG in round 2-3 with a guy that fits then even better.

Boyd and Higgins are good WRs and we can find #3 guys like Samuel or Hilton cheap in FA or in rds 3+ in the draft. Get the oline fixed and the offense will look better no matter who the #3 WR is.
Reply/Quote

Get the best FA OL (Scherff might be a hair better talent, but Thuney still very very good and is WAY better in durability), get the best OL in the draft, and don't worry about the left side of your OL for the next 5 years.

If Sewell is there, he's gotta be the pick.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If you hadn't put the poison pills of Chase and Brown in option 1 I would have taken it.

Replace Thuney with Moton in option 2 and I'm sold.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 10:44 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Thuney is premium talent.  Sewell has a shot at being a premium talent.  Duh.  Who the hell is this Moton guy anyway?  An average-ish RT?  Who cares?

You may want to take a moment and familiarize yourself with Moton' 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote