Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you trade......
your today's life with a 1916 billionaire's life?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/thinking-youre-living-in-a-hellhole-today-try-being-a-billionaire-in-1916/2017/05/05/475d7370-30f9-11e7-9534-00e4656c22aa_story.html?utm_term=.7bdf12d464e6

If so, why?  If not, why? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
No. I sure would love the money, but I like the advancements in technology we have now. Everything back then seems to be really inconvenient when compared to now. Regardless of not knowing what I was missing, I enjoy the luxuries of air conditioning and endless hot water. My wife and I are nowhere near rich, and have about 50k in debt. We're waiting until we have it all paid off to start saving for a house. I think I'm just hoping to win the lottery LOL
Reply/Quote
A white, male, heterosexual billionaire from 1916?
Reply/Quote
Nope, cause I'd most likely already be dead.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A white, male, heterosexual billionaire from 1916?

Yes.  One of those guys that got to sit on the top deck of the Titanic....if you wanted to. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
On one hand, think of all the chicks I'd get to bang.

On the other, Penicillin wasn't discovered until 1928.

Pass.

The plasma TV I just threw away would make me a god to a 1916 billionaire.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 10:36 PM)PDub80 Wrote: On one hand, think of all the chicks I'd get to bang.

On the other, Penicillin wasn't discovered until 1928.

Pass.

The plasma TV I just threw away would make me a god to a 1916 billionaire.

Hilarious

In comparison, a 1916 billionaire would probably want our life compared to his own. I would hate to be a billionaire. I'm unsure how having that much money might influence and change the person I am. I mean, having that much power could turn me into an alcohol chugging, loud rock blaring, cigarette smoking, party all the time type guy. Oh wait...? Nevermind. Just give me the cash, I've already achieved that in which I fear to become.

Reply/Quote
Life isn't about how much you have, it's what you do with what you have. In 1916 the world teetered on the brink of communist revolution and fascism and the rich of that time were always worried about having it all taken away from them in not so pleasant ways. I've never been rich and never particularly wanted to be. I like relative anonymity. Being a billionaire, especially in 1916 there was no such thing as anonymity. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 08:37 PM)grampahol Wrote: Life isn't about how much you have, it's what you do with what you have. In 1916 the world teetered on the brink of communist revolution and fascism and the rich of that time were always worried about having it all taken away from them in not so pleasant ways. I've never been rich and never particularly wanted to be. I like relative anonymity. Being a billionaire, especially in 1916 there was no such thing as anonymity. 

Sooooo... nothing's changed in a century?

Mellow

And I'd take 1916 billionaire. Money = stress. As money increases, stress decreases. Some will argue with this, that having a giant chunk in your bank account creates a different kind of stress. Those people generally haven't faced the decision of whether to buy: a- their kids shoes; b- the whole family food; or c- pay off some debt. When the biggest chunk of your check goes to basic existence, that creates strength.
Reply/Quote
So I wouldn't have to work and I'd have more money than I could spend? Hanging out with your buds drinking all day works no matter what year you are in.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote