Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you use a 1st Round pick on someone you knew we wouldn't keep?
I see people who want a Guard in the 1st Round, and it's basically a given that if the Guard develops that we won't pay top dollar to keep him/or her. Hilarious

There are however other positions that we do have a history of paying a premium for and keeping (WR, Tackle, QB, DT, DE, CB).

What would your strategy be?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 02:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see people who want a Guard in the 1st Round, and it's basically a given that if the Guard develops that we won't pay top dollar to keep him/or her.  Hilarious

There are however other positions that we do have a history of paying a premium for and keeping (WR, Tackle, QB, DT, DE, CB).

I'm on the same page as you. I don't see the point in drafting someone in the first round who you think will develop into a great player just to let them walk after their rookie contract is up (knowing you're going to let them walk) cause you don't believe in paying big money to your OG... Wow.
Reply/Quote
It's frustrating. We could really use interior line help, but like you said..it'd be a 5 year rental. I'd still think about it, if it's a great player. 5 years is a pretty long time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I dunno, what's the option?

A— 1st round pick who probably is ready in 1-2 years, so we get 2-3 good years.
B— Later pick, probably isn't ready till year 2-4, so we get 2-4 out of him on (probably) two contracts.

I don't think there's a super good answer here outside of the organization valuing the position better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think you get the guy that can help you now or in 2 years. Worry about the contract stuff 5 years down the road. How old will MB be in 5 years?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 03:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think you get the guy that can help you now or in 2 years. Worry about the contract stuff 5 years down the road. How old will MB be in 5 years?

87 Shocked
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 03:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's frustrating. We could really use interior line help, but like you said..it'd be a 5 year rental. I'd still think about it, if it's a great player. 5 years is a pretty long time.

Yeah so then I struggled with the thought of how we get Guards and Centers because even a 2nd Round pick is a lot to invest and it's a 4 year rental there if they turn out great.

The best I could come up with is signing mid-tier free agents and swinging for the fences with 4th+ Round picks.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 03:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think you get the guy that can help you now or in 2 years. Worry about the contract stuff 5 years down the road. How old will MB be in 5 years?

That's the Zeitler scenario though. Then he leaves and you have a bad line.

The whole 'wait MB out' scenario - His kids and others in the organization have worked together for A LONG time. I doubt that they are significantly different than him.
Reply/Quote
If a 7th rd Guard becomes a stud, he’s gonna be looking to get paid just like the first rounder would. Why even draft one?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Yes, if i was a GM and the packers wanted to trade me aaron rodgers for a first round pick (and aaron told me hes retiring in 3 years) the deal is done.

Other than that, no
Reply/Quote
Soooooooooooo, what we have to hope for, then, is that we draft a guard that turns out to only be okay, so that Mike can offer him a small contract and dude'll accept?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like a good plan to me. Draft an elite interior Olineman every 5 years, get 5 years of service at a bargain, and then let someone else pay the big bucks. We just gotta make sure we hit and we've done pretty good at OG.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sounds like a good plan to me. Draft an elite interior Olineman every 5 years, get 5 years of service at a bargain, and then let someone else pay the big bucks. We just gotta make sure we hit and we've done pretty good at OG.

Mike Brown, is that you?  Shocked Nervous
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 03:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's frustrating. We could really use interior line help, but like you said..it'd be a 5 year rental. I'd still think about it, if it's a great player. 5 years is a pretty long time.

I'm hoping there's a lesson learned from this year and that strategy will no longer apply.  The organization took PA's word for it that he'd have the line ready.  He's finally making progress but it's too late.  Hopefully, they never take his word for anything again and wake the hell up and drop the stupid C's and G's don't mean shit approach.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
If it fixes a need, he's an immediate help/upgrade, yes you draft him.

You cant worry about whats going to happen in 5 years, hell Mike Brown might sell our beloved Bengals to Donald Trump in that time.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 02:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see people who want a Guard in the 1st Round, and it's basically a given that if the Guard develops that we won't pay top dollar to keep him/or her.  Hilarious

It is a great question if MB is back. Might as well take Connor Williams or Wilkens instead in the first.

Quentin Nelson looks like he will be a stud though, sure wish MB put more importance into the interior O-line.

If the QB cannot ever step into a pocket your passing game will never be stellar.

Another reason why i hope we dip into FA and grab a Guard like Norwell, than draft Billy Price or another one of the top Centers.
Reply/Quote
If we could Trade our 1st rounder to get the coach we want who would you trade for? (that a franchise might actually part with)
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:42 PM)corpjet Wrote: If it fixes a need, he's an immediate help/upgrade, yes you draft him.

You cant worry about whats going to happen in 5 years, hell Mike Brown might sell our beloved Bengals to Donald Trump in that time.

Now those would be some press conferences.....  I would just love to see what trump would have been tweeting about marvin this year.... 

Maybe we can convience Vince McMahon to buy the bengals...  hahahahaaha. (j/k I'm sure hes blackballed from the NFL after the xFL)
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If we could Trade our 1st rounder to get the coach we want who would you trade for? (that a franchise might actually part with)

Bill Belichick. I don't care if NE won't part with him. You MAKE them. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:36 PM)McC Wrote: I'm hoping there's a lesson learned from this year and that strategy will no longer apply.  The organization took PA's word for it that he'd have the line ready.  He's finally making progress but it's too late.  Hopefully, they never take his word for anything again and wake the hell up and drop the stupid C's and G's don't mean shit approach.

Let's pray Mike's finally learned his lesson on interior O-line ! 

(12-15-2017, 06:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is a great question if MB is back. Might as well take Connor Williams or Wilkens instead in the first.

Quentin Nelson looks like he will be a stud though, sure wish MB put more importance into the interior O-line.

If the QB cannot ever step into a pocket your passing game will never be stellar.

Another reason why i hope we dip into FA and grab a Guard like Norwell, than draft Billy Price or another one of the top Centers.

I don't think there's any way they can hope to have a competitive team next season and give our core any kind of hope without going out and getting a couple FA 0-linemen. 
Reply/Quote