Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Did You Know... (AJ Green)
(05-29-2020, 09:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Clowney has already received at least one offer though. He chose not to take it.

And the Bengals have given AJ several offers, which he has chosen not to take.  As I said, if AJ was willing to settle for a prove it deal, someone would sign him.  If he held steady to his current demands, he'd still be unemployed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 09:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: And the Bengals have given AJ several offers, which he has chosen not to take.  As I said, if AJ was willing to settle for a prove it deal, someone would sign him.  If he held steady to his current demands, he'd still be unemployed.

Where are you getting that we have made an offer? That’s pure speculation.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 11:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Where are you getting that we have made an offer? That’s pure speculation.

They've been trying to negotiate an extension with him since last year.  That, by definition, means they've made an offer.  Otherwise, there'd be nothing to talk about.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 12:05 AM)Whatever Wrote: They've been trying to negotiate an extension with him since last year.  That, by definition, means they've made an offer.  Otherwise, there'd be nothing to talk about.

If this is true this is not smart by AJ and not the AJ that I know.

AJ has always been class, he has to take into account his injury history, ask Bob Sanders.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2020, 09:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I can't remember the last first round pick that was drafted by the Bengals that finished his career in Cincy.

Ninja David Klinger or Akili ?  Ninja

More recently Chris Perry and David Pollack's careers were finished early by injury.

But in terms of players who actually played past their first contract then I think John Copeland and Eddie Brown were probably the last 2 to play out their entire career at Cincinnati. Tim McGee and Darryl Williams both returned to finish with the Bengals after brief spells away as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2020, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If this is true this is not smart by AJ and not the AJ that I know.

AJ has always been class, he has to take into account his injury history, ask Bob Sanders.

How is this not smart?  Please explain.

As of right now, by not being "smart", AJ Green will have the 2nd highest salary at his position in the entire league.  He also hold tremendous leverage in current negotiations, and has the ability to secure a new deal, with even more guarantees after only 1 season.  All of this sounds pretty damn smart to me.

The AJ you know?  Who is that exactly?  Aside from being a football player that happens to play for the team you root for, how well do you think you two know eachother?  Is he supposed to take a discount, or not secure as much as he can, just because you think it's classy? 

Bob Sanders was injured his ENTIRE career.  He are his season totals for games played:  6, 14, 4, 15, 6, 2, 1, 2

And I'm not sure why you're bringing him up.  His last deal with the Colts was not incentive laden, or a discount.  It was also a HUGE mistake by the Colts.

---------
Indianapolis Colts saftey Bob Sanders has signed a five-year, $37.5 million contract extension that includes $20 million in guaranteed money.

The contract makes Sanders, 26, the highest-paid safety in the NFL.
----------

FYI: The Colts released him before that deal was up.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 10:28 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Ninja David Klinger or Akili ?  Ninja

More recently Chris Perry and David Pollack's careers were finished early by injury.

But in terms of players who actually played past their first contract then I think John Copeland and Eddie Brown were probably the last 2 to play out their entire career at Cincinnati. Tim McGee and Darryl Williams both returned to finish with the Bengals after brief spells away as well.

Props.  That is a ways back, but good call.  
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 10:56 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How is this not smart?  Please explain.

As of right now, by not being "smart", AJ Green will have the 2nd highest salary at his position in the entire league.  He also hold tremendous leverage in current negotiations, and has the ability to secure a new deal, with even more guarantees after only 1 season.  All of this sounds pretty damn smart to me.

The AJ you know?  Who is that exactly?  Aside from being a football player that happens to play for the team you root for, how well do you think you two know eachother?  Is he supposed to take a discount, or not secure as much as he can, just because you think it's classy? 

Bob Sanders was injured his ENTIRE career.  He are his season totals for games played:  6, 14, 4, 15, 6, 2, 1, 2

And I'm not sure why you're bringing him up.  His last deal with the Colts was not incentive laden, or a discount.  It was also a HUGE mistake by the Colts.

---------
Indianapolis Colts saftey Bob Sanders has signed a five-year, $37.5 million contract extension that includes $20 million in guaranteed money.

The contract makes Sanders, 26, the highest-paid safety in the NFL.
----------

FYI: The Colts released him before that deal was up.

It is not smart to act like you are worth what you were in your prime after not playing in 24 straight games.

Nobody knows how healthy AJ is or if he will ever play a down again. AJ should take an extension that has incentives in which if 
he plays he gets paid top dollar and if he doesn't play doesn't hurt the team. This is the smart way to go about it. The Bob Sanders
deal is exactly what I mean, don't do that type of deal for a player that cannot stay healthy.

Do not know how you do not understand this.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2020, 09:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is not smart to act like you are worth what you were in your prime after not playing in 24 straight games.

Nobody knows how healthy AJ is or if he will ever play a down again. AJ should take an extension that has incentives in which if 
he plays he gets paid top dollar and if he doesn't play doesn't hurt the team. This is the smart way to go about it. The Bob Sanders
deal is exactly what I mean, don't do that type of deal for a player that cannot stay healthy.

Do not know how you do not understand this.

I'm not following at all.  It's not "smart" for AJ Green to secure the 2nd highest salary in the league at his position? 

Had Bob Sanders taken the type of deal you're proposing AJ should take he would have made a fraction of what he did.  Bob Sanders contract is actually an argument for why a player should secure as much guaranteed dollars as they can.

You seem to be confusing what is smart for the team (less guarantees and more incentives) with what is smart for AJ (as much guaranteed money as possible).

I understand what you want to happen, and why this would be smart for the Bengals.  But I don't understand how you can say AJ is not being smart, by not signing a lesser deal.  Again, he's making more than every other receiver other than Julio Jones.  He's positioning himself to make more guarantees in the future.  This is the smart play from a player's perspective.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 12:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not following at all.  It's not "smart" for AJ Green to secure the 2nd highest salary in the league at his position? 

Had Bob Sanders taken the type of deal you're proposing AJ should take he would have made a fraction of what he did.  Bob Sanders contract is actually an argument for why a player should secure as much guaranteed dollars as they can.

You seem to be confusing what is smart for the team (less guarantees and more incentives) with what is smart for AJ (as much guaranteed money as possible).

I understand what you want to happen, and why this would be smart for the Bengals.  But I don't understand how you can say AJ is not being smart, by not signing a lesser deal.  Again, he's making more than every other receiver other than Julio Jones.  He's positioning himself to make more guarantees in the future.  This is the smart play from a player's perspective.

I don;t think there is a right or wrong in the debate... The team decided it was best to franchise since that allows them the freedom to let him go without being tied to a contract... AJ it seems choose not to settle on a contract and play under franchise tag which pays him well and he now can showcase himself this year for all teams...
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 12:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not following at all.  It's not "smart" for AJ Green to secure the 2nd highest salary in the league at his position? 

He is making that much on the Franchise Tag Wes. One year 18 mil is good for AJ, bad for the team.

What would be best for both would be a 3 year extension laden with incentives.

That way AJ could retire as a Bengal as he said he wanted to do.

(06-04-2020, 12:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t think there is a right or wrong in the debate... The team decided it was best to franchise since that allows them the freedom to let him go without being tied to a contract... AJ it seems choose not to settle on a contract and play under franchise tag which pays him well and he now can showcase himself this year for all teams...

We will see how this works out. If AJ gets hurt again who knows what will happen with him.
Reply/Quote