Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Y'all think you live out in the country?
I had to go to Maynardville to talk to a client in jail down there.

Now despite how much the name "Maynardville" evokes the image of a chic urban locality it is actually a small back country hamlet. Some of you may know it as the hometown of the moonshiner Lt. Aldo Raine in Inglourious Bastards, or maybe the "King of Country Music" Roy Acuff. But the best evidence of how "country" this area is are the Google directions from my home on Bullen Valley road to Maynardville.

Bullen Valley Road to Cracker Neck Road.

Cracker Neck Road to Tater Valley Road.

Tater Valley Road to Lays Gap Road.

Lays Gap road to Hogskin Road.

Hogskin Road to Walker Ford Road.

Walker Ford Road to US 61 to Maynardville.

If you don't believe this is true you can look it up.

I swear sometimes I feel like I am living on the set of Hee-Haw.
Reply/Quote
Get back to me when you can top Fishing Gut Road.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 01:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Get back to me when you can top Fishing Gut Road.

There are good ones all over the place.  I have just not seen so many strung together like this before.

There is a house where I turn off of Cracker Neck Road on to Tater Valley Road.  Can you imagine telling someone where your house was if you lived there.
Reply/Quote
I75, exit 144, in Tennessee. Stinking Creek Rd. I've driven to Florida so many times and get a chuckle passing this exit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I live a few miles from Possum Trot.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 01:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I had to go to Maynardville to talk to a client in jail down there.

Now despite how much the name "Maynardville" evokes the image of a chic urban locality it is actually a small back country hamlet.  Some of you may know it as the hometown of the moonshiner Lt. Aldo Raine in Inglourious Bastards, or maybe the "King of Country Music" Roy Acuff.  But the best evidence of how "country" this area is are the Google directions from my home on Bullen Valley road to Maynardville.

Bullen Valley Road to Cracker Neck Road.

Cracker Neck Road to Tater Valley Road.

Tater Valley Road to Lays Gap Road.

Lays Gap road to Hogskin Road.

Hogskin Road to Walker Ford Road.

Walker Ford Road to US 61 to Maynardville.

If you don't believe this is true you can look it up.

I swear sometimes I feel like I am living on the set of Hee-Haw.

Roads? Where I live we don't have fancy things like roads we have Ridges.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
You mean nobody is familiar with Rabbithash KY? You really had to eat a lot of rabbit to name your town Rabbithash..  Go west young man..Lots of towns out there with dangerous sounding names like Bloody Gulch and such.. I've been in places in Nebraska where you can actually see the curvature of the earth and the highest point is a random clump of weeds.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
One of the board members for our radio station is building a home where you need to ride a four wheeler for three hours in the summer or snow machine for an hour and a half in the winter to get to the site. They drug or sledded behind them all of the lumber to the spot themselves over a two year period. He hopes to move there full time next year when they finish the house and the greenhouse. No funny named roads but, yeah, he lives way out in the country.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
There's a Hogpath Road between Dayton and Greenville, Ohio, and a Coonpath Road out in Lancaster.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This is about a mile from my place:

[Image: KYFLOyall02.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 12:05 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: This is about a mile from my place:

[Image: KYFLOyall02.jpg]

Huh?

Next to the highway and a shopping mall ain’t remotely country.
Reply/Quote
Was also in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area and got slightly lost driving on Boogerman Trail/Rd.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 10:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Huh?

Next to the highway and a shopping mall ain’t remotely country.
Just goes to show how country folks are and a mile or so south, east, or west of that is pretty much just farms.
Reply/Quote
We all live in the country..Around these parts we call it the United States of America..Names may vary according to location..
I'm going for a drive in the country..down to the corner gas station..In my case it's up to the corner gas station since it's uphill from me.. Actually up then down then up then down again, but no point in splitting hairs over it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2021, 09:44 AM)grampahol Wrote: You mean nobody is familiar with Rabbithash KY? You really had to eat a lot of rabbit to name your town Rabbithash.. 

Rabbit Hash is less than 10 miles from Big Bone Lick State Park.

Who is in charge of naming stuff around there?
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rabbit Hash is less than 10 miles from Big Bone Lick State Park.

Who is in charge of naming stuff around there?

hunting dogs
Reply/Quote
Yeah, we are a lot of Rednecks in WY, but we aren't that wild. We live in the country but it is a bunch of rich bastids we live with.
Reply/Quote