Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yahoo Sports Has Derwin Falling To Us........
Derwin James was my man-crush early on and he's who I wanted, but then, as his stock kept rising, coupled with the fact that I was coming around to the fact that we needed to make sure that we took care of our offensive line in the first round, I had pretty much written off wanting to draft him.

However, with the addition of Glenn, possibly Hart (if he pans out), Pollack's coaching, and draft pick's outside the first round, this mock draft on Yahoo! has the idea swimming around in my head again:

Quote:21) Cincinnati Bengals (from Bills): Derwin James, S, Florida State
Analysis: The Bengals have to be tired of Antonio Brown and Le’Veon bell giving them the business twice a year. D.J. can’t resolve this problem on his own but drafting him can’t hurt either.

James is a hell of a center fielder and can also play in the box, and I'm thinking that our pass rush should be greatly improved this year, and Derwin is the playmaker that we need on the back end of the defense.

Do you think James falls? Is it a no-brainer to take him if he does or do we need to take Price? Are Daniels and Ragnow good enough to make it ok to risk Price not falling to us in two?
Reply/Quote
I don't know if you should think twice if James falls to 21. With the run on QB's early on it wouldn't be too shocking.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:42 AM)Takedown Wrote: I don't know if you should think twice if James falls to 21. With the run on QB's early on it wouldn't be too shocking.

On that same note;  If every player that had a 1st round grade were to be drafted in the 1st round, that round would have to be 100 picks long.

I'm not advocating or discouraging from taking James at 21, I certainly feel like he's at or near the top of his position class.  It is nice to be able to see the Bengals consider something other than Tackle in the 1st round.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If James makes it to 21 then I am interested. The guy can play nickle LB next to Brown during Burficts suspension, hopefully after that he can find his way to the starting Safety spot or at least some sub package nickle corner snaps.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On that same note;  If every player that had a 1st round grade were to be drafted in the 1st round, that round would have to be 100 picks long.

I'm not advocating or discouraging from taking James at 21, I certainly feel like he's at or near the top of his position class.  It is nice to be able to see the Bengals consider something other than Tackle in the 1st round.

Exactly. A lot of people sometimes are too strict to grades when it comes to NFL draft prospects. There is sometimes more than ONE reason a player can fall. Doesn't always mean he fell due to a negative on him.

If I had to choose one safety in this entire class it would be DJ.

Reply/Quote
Edmunds, Wynn, or James in this order would be fine with me if they fell through the cracks.

Love Wynn but Burfict has Edmunds edging him out in my mind now.

But will not hate it if Pollack likes a Center enough to take in the first round. Think one could be had in second round, but if he fancies one particular player over the several ranked high and pounces, it is ok by me too.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
And CBS’ mock out today has him going #7 and before Fitzpatrick, so....
Reply/Quote
Why is he falling? That last I checked some sites, he was a top 15 pick. I wouldn't dislike the pick at 21 but honestly don't think he makes past 18 if there is a slide that takes him out of the top 15.

I'm starting to like the Harrison kid out of Bama. Good size and made plenty of plays from the safety position.
Reply/Quote
I would be surprised if he fell, but then again I was surprised that........ Oh shoot, I can't think of his name now..... fell to the Colts at 17 last year. So it's possible.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 12:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: I would be surprised if he fell, but then again I was surprised that........ Oh shoot, I can't think of his name now..... fell to the Colts at 17 last year. So it's possible.

Malik Hooker and I was surprised too.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:36 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Derwin James was my man-crush early on and he's who I wanted, but then, as his stock kept rising, coupled with the fact that I was coming around to the fact that we needed to make sure that we took care of our offensive line in the first round, I had pretty much written off wanting to draft him.

However, with the addition of Glenn, possibly Hart (if he pans out), Pollack's coaching, and draft pick's outside the first round, this mock draft on Yahoo! has the idea swimming around in my head again:

James is a hell of a center fielder and can also play in the box, and I'm thinking that our pass rush should be greatly improved this year, and Derwin is the playmaker that we need on the back end of the defense.

Do you think James falls?  Is it a no-brainer to take him if he does or do we need to take Price?  Are Daniels and Ragnow good enough to make it ok to risk Price not falling to us in two?

Think I saw it on Twitter somewhere yesterday or day before that, but I recall reading some teams are putting Derwin James ahead of Minkah Fitzpatrick as the top safety on their board. I wouldn't see it feasible that Derwin James fell to 21 anyway, but especially not if some teams are considering him the top safety prospect.

And I know I have been critical of James in the past, but that was when discussing at 12 over some other needs and before FA started. Since FA and now that the Bengals moved back to 21, I'd absolutely be on board with him at that pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If James is there at the 21st pick the Bengals have to take him. But they can also trade back again and get maybe another second-rounder and third-rounder.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 01:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Think I saw it on Twitter somewhere yesterday or day before that, but I recall reading some teams are putting Derwin James ahead of Minkah Fitzpatrick as the top safety on their board. I wouldn't see it feasible that Derwin James fell to 21 anyway, but especially not if some teams are considering him the top safety prospect.

And I know I have been critical of James in the past, but that was when discussing at 12 over some other needs and before FA started. Since FA and now that the Bengals moved back to 21, I'd absolutely be on board with him at that pick.

I had him ahead of Fitzpatrick all along and would sprint to the podium and announce it myself- just take Goodell out of the equation- if James falls because he can be such a game-changer for us.

Just imagine him EVERYWHERE on our defense making plays.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 02:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I had him ahead of Fitzpatrick all along and would sprint to the podium and announce it myself- just take Goodell out of the equation- if James falls because he can be such a game-changer for us.

Just imagine him EVERYWHERE on our defense making plays.

I think you're confusing the Bengals with a team that creatively finds ways to get its players more snaps.
I think the reality is Derwin James would start off as depth behind Williams and Iloka, occasionally getting some reps to spell them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 03:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think you're confusing the Bengals with a team that creatively finds ways to get its players more snaps.
I think the reality is Derwin James would start off as depth behind Williams and Iloka, occasionally getting some reps to spell them.

This is where I really have a hard time pulling the trigger on James. I just don't see them drafting a guy they don't see starting next year. And with both Safeties under contract for next few years, I just don't see them having enough snaps for him. This off-season has kinda re-assured me they're putting a much higher emphasis on winning now, and I have to think that will continue thru the draft. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
as it should. IMHO
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 03:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think you're confusing the Bengals with a team that creatively finds ways to get its players more snaps.
The one constant has been Marvin, but we also haven't had a secondary coach as qualified as Daronte Jones or a coordinator like Austin who is as aggressive in his play calling and wants to have the defense going crazy.  I believe Marvin also realizes that we need to stop using vets just out of loyalty and comfort.  Being that Marvin knows it's time to win and put it all out on the field, you have to believe that he'll see what James can do and get him on the field.

Marvin would see that James is a lot better than Iloka and Williams and Austin and Jones would find ways to get him on the field, especially if Burfict is suspended for the first four.

(03-20-2018, 03:34 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: This is where I really have a hard time pulling the trigger on James. I just don't see them drafting a guy they don't see starting next year. And with both Safeties under contract for next few years, I just don't see them having enough snaps for him. This off-season has kinda re-assured me they're putting a much higher emphasis on winning now, and I have to think that will continue thru the draft. 
Marvin's shown and stated, finally, that players won't have a spot just because they're adequate and that we're looking to have the best players possible on the field.
(03-20-2018, 04:36 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: as it should. IMHO

Why's that?
Reply/Quote

That's how the traditional Bengals organization would have done it.  But, this is the new and improved Bengals philosophy of football management that we're talking about here.

They could draft a guy like James, and if he impresses in preseason, they could trade Williams for a 2019 3rd round pick and have extra cap room to Geno extended.  Win-Win

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's how the traditional Bengals organization would have done it.  But, this is the new and improved Bengals philosophy of football management that we're talking about here.

They could draft a guy like James, and if he impresses in preseason, they could trade Williams for a 2019 3rd round pick and have extra cap room to Geno extended.  Win-Win

That's what I've been saying.......  we're in a "win now" mode and we're tired of building for the future.

Hopefully we'll cut Williams early and just trust that James has shown enough so we don't piss off Atkins and make him think we're dicking around.......  just pay the man!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 06:20 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's what I've been saying.......  we're in a "win now" mode and we're tired of building for the future.

Hopefully we'll cut Williams early and just trust that James has shown enough so we don't piss off Atkins and make him think we're dicking around.......  just pay the man!

Why would you cut Williams?  When you can trade him.  Someone is going to get injured, and a team will need a proven starter.  Happens every year, seemingly.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote