Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, it is a loss...but....
(11-23-2015, 11:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm sorry, but this just isn't accurate at all.  Andy had several big plays where the receiver dropped the ball.  He overthrew Marvin Jones once big-time, but I think Jones got held or something that interrupted his timing.  

Dalton played extremely well with very little to no protection for much of the game.  Palmer had all day.  Dalton was getting lit up every snap.  He didn't force any dumb throws and had no picks.  

I was very happy by what I saw our offense do except for the same poor play selections (seemed like they ran the same play?) in the third quarter. 

It is accurate. When I say that Andy missed wide open receivers, I'm including the plays where he didn't see Marvin Jones and AJ Green running down the sideline. Andy made a few good plays and he did an excellent job managing the game, but he wasn't clutch. A clutch quarterback doesn't throw what should have been an interception right before a game tying field goal attempt.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:14 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: I don't know about decimated but we had some injuries. All off-season we want to brag about the depth we had well even with the injuries you still have Kirk, Hall, Iloka and Nelson. They were still capable of making a stop to seal the game. If they can't adapt any better then that with all of the "depth" we have then that's a problem.

Nelson was out for quite a bit.  Shawn Williams was out the entire second half, which meant that Deron Smith took his place (rookie who I believe was taken in the sixth round).  Jones missed the entire game, which meant that after Dennard went down, Josh Shaw (another rookie) took his place.  You have to keep in mind that this was against a team that regularly goes four and sometimes even five wide.  At one point when Nelson was on the sidelines, I thought to myself "do they even have any more defensive backs available and dressed"??
Reply/Quote
This game was huge for us! We should have won. We shouldn't have been in the position of having to fight for our lives. The last drive of 3rd and 2 was crap. Run the damn ball!

I really wanted this win! I wanted Carson to walk about with a big fat LOSS!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 01:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am proud of the way this team fought.  Not trying to make excuses.  If I wanted to do that, I would be complaining about the officiating (which sucked).  Traveling several time zones on a short week is very, very tough.  Dalton didn't force stupid passes in the face of that massive pass rush.  His #1 receiver was nonexistent (again), but he was able to put up 31 points against a very good defense in a hostile environment.  

Marvin and AJ dropped balls that could have won the game, but it just wasn't meant to be tonight.  Hats off to Dalton.  He played outstanding in the face of that pass rush.  

I'm not happy, but I think the team showed a toughness that I didn't see the previous week against the Texans.  I will take that kind of effort.  

Now, to get back in the W column against the Rams.

We played well and i agree, we will get back on track. I thought we might lose this game against probably the
most complete team in the league in their house. It will be a different outcome when we play the next time.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 11:53 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Honestly, the referees did not cost the Bengals the game.  The Bengals played a very good team, in their stadium, and it came down to the last play of the game.  Even the call on Peko, which was most likely legit, did not really matter because it still would have been a very makeable field goal.  Much of the second half was played without Dennard, Shawn Williams, and even Nelson was out for periods.  They had Josh Shaw and Deron Smith playing against one of the most prolific passing attacks in the NFL.

Hindsight says that you run the ball, but giving your all world wide receiver a chance to make a play against their backup corner (Peterson was on the sidelines) does not seem like a terrible option either... they just left Palmer too much time on the clock with the depleted secondary.

Unless I'm mistaken, if there wasn't a penalty on Peko then there would have been a false start by Arizona. The false start would have created a 10 second runoff and the game would have gone to overtime. I think that is how it works.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 02:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Unless I'm mistaken, if there wasn't a penalty on Peko then there would have been a false start by Arizona. The false start would have created a 10 second runoff and the game would have gone to overtime. I think that is how it works.

Correct.  I was saying that if there had been no penalty at all in that situation.  That if Palmer had been able to spike it, it was still a very makeable field goal.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:09 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Honestly, there are no glaringly poor decisions that stand out from last night.  He threw for over 300 yards with two touchdowns (easily could have been three if Gio doesn't go down).  He had a 40 yard pass that hit Jones in the shoulder pads and should have been caught for what would have most likely been another touchdown.  Even the play to Green where both he and Peterson were hurt, that ball was just off his fingertips.  Last night was not on Dalton, he easily played well enough to win.  Losing sucks, but they played a very good team and literally took it down to the last second.

I agree. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 11:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dalton played extremely well with very little to no protection for much of the game.  Palmer had all day.  Dalton was getting lit up every snap.  He didn't force any dumb throws and had no picks.

That's the kicker.  Palmer showed up in AZ as a washed-up journeyman on his last legs for 6th round pick but the HC and GM believed in him enough to turn the worst o-line in the NFL into a decent one.  The cynic in me says it's sort of the opposite of what happened in Cincy when we let our o-line fall to pieces.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 03:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's the kicker.  Palmer showed up in AZ as a washed-up journeyman on his last legs for 6th round pick but the HC and GM believed in him enough to turn the worst o-line in the NFL into a decent one.  The cynic in me says it's sort of the opposite of what happened in Cincy when we let our o-line fall to pieces.  

I kind of agree, but it wasn't for lack of trying. They invested a ton into the o-line. Willie got old and Levi got injured. I'd say by 2009-10 it was pretty solid again.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 12:16 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: It is accurate. When I say that Andy missed wide open receivers, I'm including the plays where he didn't see Marvin Jones and AJ Green running down the sideline. Andy made a few good plays and he did an excellent job managing the game, but he wasn't clutch. A clutch quarterback doesn't throw what should have been an interception right before a game tying field goal attempt.

He was down 14 points in the fourth quarter, on the road, against the #3 defense in the NFL, with little to no protection from his offensive line and he wasn't clutch?

And as far as missing one play where Marvin or AJ was open...did you SEE what Andy was looking in to every snap?  On a blitz, a QB has a hot route, and it is rarely that far down the field.  AZ was blitzing almost every snap in the third quarter.  

As far as that pass that should have been an INT before the FG, I guess you think it is OK that your $15 million a year WR stood there and waited to see what the DB did instead of running through him when he was faceguarded and either drawing the flag or actually catching the ball (or both).  He showed zero interest in making a play there.  
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 04:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I kind of agree, but it wasn't for lack of trying. They invested a ton into the o-line. Willie got old and Levi got injured. I'd say by 2009-10 it was pretty solid again.

True.  The fact that Larry Fitzgerald is the opposite of Chad/TO probably helps, too.  I think that John Brown guy they have is what Hawkins was supposed to be, as well.

Side note, I had 2 jobs in Pittsburgh and one had me working with Hawkins' brother and the other had me in a position where one of my student workers saw me putzing around on the Bengals forum and he pointed out he went to school and worked out with Gio.
Reply/Quote