Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, our OL is that bad - It's not your imagination
Ran across this article today and it confirms that our OL just plain sucks.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/10/13/16462840/pff-ranks-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-bengals-30th

Here are some interesting quotes:

Quote:According to PFF’s position ranks, most of the teams in the NFL have two tackles that are better than the Bengals’ best.

Quote:According to the article, all starting linemen are grading below 50.0 this season with the exception of left guard Clint Boling. ...

After Boling, the next closest lineman in ranking is the backup tackle.

Russell Bodine 43.3, 28th ranked Center

Jake Fisher 42.6, 58th ranked Tackle
Cedric Ogbuehi 40.6, 60th ranked Tackle
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Dead Horse

Reply/Quote
In case we had forgotten?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 03:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ran across this article today and it confirms that our OL just plain sucks.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/10/13/16462840/pff-ranks-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-bengals-30th

I find it hard to believe bodine is rated that high...
Reply/Quote
i thought we were worse
Reply/Quote
Eagles at #1 is surprising. Could explain Wentz's play so far this season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 03:54 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Dead Horse

uh huh...it's NOT good but we've had progress. Progress is >> Worser.

It's likely the Bengals use several of their higher picks on  O-line. that said.....I am not convinced we've done well at Coach/develop
Reply/Quote
Hard to take the list seriously when the Browns line is top 10. Like I said in another threads the PFF signature stats are aight but their player grades are wishy washy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 05:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Hard to take the list seriously when the Browns line is top 10. Like I said in another threads the PFF signature stats are aight but their player grades are wishy washy.

You don't think the Browns have a top 10 line? lol
Reply/Quote
Wow. So Bodine, Fisher and Ogbuehi are damn near the worst at their positions. Who'da thunk it?

The whole line is rated 30th...in a year that's been notably bad for o-line play.

Makes me more impressed with Dalton's play and Lazor's coaching. Also makes me at least somewhat excuse the play of our RB's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 05:27 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: You don't think the Browns have a top 10 line? lol

Why would I? They are one of the worst rushing teams and have let damn near as many sacks as the Bengals line. 

The difference is they grade Thomas and Bitino high which averages out their line per their player grades.

They have Carolina at 2...The chiefs at 13....

I mean seriously can anyone here say thr Browns line is better than the Chiefs with a straight face?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Huh... I'm honestly surprised we're not dead last.

Only a duo of fools like Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander would roll into the season with a line this bad. The vast majority of us saw this coming a mile away. And once again just another example that the vast majority of our fanbase knows better than our coaches Whatever
Reply/Quote
They have GB in the top 10? Rodgers runs for his life on every play.

WTS Fischer has been a disappointment. I knew Ced would struggle starting LT his first year; however, Jake has experience at RT.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 05:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wow. So Bodine, Fisher and Ogbuehi are damn near the worst at their positions. Who'da thunk it?

The whole line is rated 30th...in a year that's been notably bad for o-line play.

Makes me more impressed with Dalton's play and Lazor's coaching. Also makes me at least somewhat excuse the play of our RB's.

To me a whole bunch of the excuse for our RB's ! Our backs are met in the backfield on probably 1/2 or better of running plays. Most of the other half they're met at the LOS. Perhaps 1 play out of 10 they actually have a decent hole ?

Hell with this line we could have Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and Earl Campbell and we'd struggle to run the ball !

Lazor is gonna have to get creative for us to have any real chance down the road.
Reply/Quote
The Oline Bad? Impossible! Marvin said they would be just fine before the season.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 03:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ran across this article today and it confirms that our OL just plain sucks.

The homers are talking about how the line has shown vast improvement after beating the Browns and Bills.

I also saw a crazy stat about 85% of Joe Mixon's rushing yardage being after contact. 85 PERCENT! He's getting hit right away.

Your stats are going to rain on the 'Defense wins championships! Lombardi here we come!' threads.
Reply/Quote
My fear is this seasons riding with our Bad O-line while letting our two best linemen go is gonna end up ranking up there in the top 5 Bengals woulda, coulda, shoulda, FUBARS.

Greg Cook, Bill Walsh, Akili Smith, you know the list. Now add 2016-17 line screw up doing in the window with the core AJ, Andy, Geno, Carlos, Vontaze.

Maybe somebody can pull a rabbit outta their hat ?
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 06:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My fear is this seasons riding with our Bad O-line while letting our two best linemen go is gonna end up ranking up there in the top 5 Bengals woulda, coulda, shoulda, FUBARS.

Greg Cook, Bill Walsh, Akili Smith, you know the list. Now add 2016-17 line screw up doing in the window with the core AJ, Andy, Geno, Carlos, Vontaze.

Maybe somebody can pull a rabbit outta their hat ?

There will be no rabbits pulled out of hats this year. Our offensive line is bad. Really bad.

Our defense is really good.

We can't run the ball. AJ Green is our only good WR at this point. That is a recipe for disaster.

We beat a bad Cleveland Team and a Buffalo Team without their #1 WR and TE. Lets see how we do against Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2017, 06:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They have GB in the top 10? Rodgers runs for his life on every play.

WTS Fischer has been a disappointment. I knew Ced would struggle starting LT his first year; however, Jake has experience at RT.

Rodgers is one of the kings of "unscripted plays" and probably holds the ball longer than most...which leads to some big plays, but also a few more sacks. Also, the Packers are a respectable 14th in YPC despite starting a former WR and some dude named Aaron Jones at RB.

If you go by traditional stats, 30th is probably a generous ranking for our line. We're 28th in rush yards, 31st in yards per carry and 11th worst in sacks allowed (on pace for 48...which would easily top the 41 we allowed last year, which was good for 2nd most). This is probably the worst line in team history.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Depending on where we draft we may actually be active in Free agency this year to fix this group.
Reply/Quote