Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoiur views on managment post draft?
I think they did a terrible job in this years draft. Price will start, but everybody else looks like a back up or off the team in 3+ years.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 12:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Marvin is still HC.
Mike is still Owner.
Mike/Katie are still GM.

Why would the draft change the view I have built from 15-27 years of experiencing them running this team?

Good Post
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 04:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: What are your views on Bengal management post draft?

I have been down on them since the Steeler playoff loss in 2015 and the refusal to immediately fire Marvin.

Last year's inaction on o line caused a debacle that was easily predicted with Piano man as o line coach, Bodine at center and Og at left tackle.

So to me, 2016 and 2017 were predictable completely wasted years.

I think this year they made great moves getting the LT and LB from Buffalo and drafting the best players for need.

I think our roster is way better today than it was a year ago assuming Fisher can step up at RT and with Pollack as o-line coach.

So  but for the continuing retention of Marv I am back on board.

If we have another year like last year Marv needs to go.

He Should have been fired several times already .

Even  though he has a two year contract, from a fairness perspective his long term of service entitles him to a one year severance so firing him with a year to go on contract should be an acceptable option.

I do not see how they can sell him to season ticket holders and fans or even players for another year with a 7-9 record or less than that in 2018.

Very impressed, this is completely different then the way we usually do things.

The FO usually settles for mediocrity, they didn't this Offseason and followed up FA with a very solid Draft adding
players by need. Price, Bates, Hubbard and Jefferson were all needed here. Stud Center, ballhawk Safety, rotational
DE and SAM Linebacker were needed to be added in the Draft.

Getting Glenn a proven LT in the NFL and Preston Brown a tackling machine were great before this. Chris Baker has
shown some potential in the NFL too. I mean, we usually just get okay older players that are past their prime in FA.

Not this time. Impressed to say the least.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I was down for marvin leaving after last season as well.

I cant blame everything on him though    Something has definitely changed in the front office. 

I agree, they really are doing things differently than before.  Big shakeup in the coaching dept., being quite active in free agency, filling needs through trades and acquisitions to free up the draft a bit, making smart fundamental draft choices to improve the overall roster quality.  I get a positive feeling whenever I watch and listen to any of the newer coaches speak.  

I dare say that I have some optimism growing.  Whatever was argued/hashed out in the front office this offseason?  I don't care the details, I'm just pleased to see the new direction going forward.

Edit: Add, not picking up the option on Ogbuehi, to the list of positives by Management this year!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, they really are doing things differently than before.  Big shakeup in the coaching dept., being quite active in free agency, filling needs through trades and acquisitions to free up the draft a bit, making smart fundamental draft choices to improve the overall roster quality.  I get a positive feeling whenever I watch and listen to any of the newer coaches speak.  

I dare say that I have some optimism growing.  Whatever was argued/hashed out in the front office this offseason?  I don't care the details, I'm just pleased to see the new direction going forward.

This is where I am.  Is there more work to be done?  You betcha.  Should Marv be gone?  I think so.  That said, this has not been a status quo offseason.  Of that, I am a bit optimistic and impressed.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 05:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is where I am.  Is there more work to be done?  You betcha.  Should Marv be gone?  I think so.  That said, this has not been a status quo offseason.  Of that, I am a bit optimistic and impressed.

Same here,

My questions now are, will we let the old no longer productive players go ? Will Merv realize 1980 football doesn't work anymore ? Will they play the players that deserve it ? Or continue running the highest paid out there ?

Big strides still nee made !
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 03:22 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I think they did a terrible job in this years draft. Price will start, but everybody else looks like a back up or off the team in 3+ years.

I mean, do you have a reason to think that? Or just they didn't draft the guys you wanted?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, they really are doing things differently than before.  Big shakeup in the coaching dept., being quite active in free agency, filling needs through trades and acquisitions to free up the draft a bit, making smart fundamental draft choices to improve the overall roster quality.  I get a positive feeling whenever I watch and listen to any of the newer coaches speak.  

I mean, but are they really?

Big Shakeup:
-Bengals had that in the '13-'14 offseason.

Free Agency:
-They signed one good player to a 1 year deal. They also added a crappy QB who might not make the roster, a crappy OT who might be one of the few OL worse than Ogbuehi, and a mediocre DT (who's last team hated him) who might not make the roster. That was their entire exterior FA this year as far as I can recall.

Filling Need Through Trade:
-Yup, this one is true. That said, it sure would be nice if they didn't run things so poorly by lowballing Whit (Whit's own words) and rolling with Ogbuehi, which went the way everyone could have predicted it would have. Whit to the Pro Bowl/1st Team All-Pro/Playoffs, Ogbuehi continuing to show he's one of the worst OL in the league. Glenn is good, but still not Whit good. So all they did here was partially make up for their mistake after wasting a season and still coming out behind talent-wise.

Draft:
-We'll see. We probably won't know how this will work out until the end of the '19 season, unless they either don't make the roster, or immediately turn out to be Ogbuehi-bad, or Green-good.

Most of this optimism is just the annual post-draft orange Kool-Aid that gets pumped through your veins rather than looking at reality. Lol... it happens every year like clockwork.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 06:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Most of this optimism is just the annual post-draft orange Kool-Aid that gets pumped through your veins rather than looking at reality. Lol... it happens every year like clockwork.

Actually in the "real" world there were multiple seasons when the "realists" who predicted nothing but doom and gloom were wrong.

Funny how people can be wrong and still claim to be the only ones in "reality".
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 06:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I mean, but are they really?

Big Shakeup:

Free Agency:
-They signed one good player to a 1 year deal. They also added a crappy QB who might not make the roster, a crappy OT who might be one of the few OL worse than Ogbuehi, and a mediocre DT (who's last team hated him) who might not make the roster. That was their entire exterior FA this year as far as I can recall.

-Yup, this one is true. That said, it sure would be nice if they didn't run things so poorly by lowballing Whit (Whit's own words) and rolling with Ogbuehi, which went the way everyone could have predicted it would have. Whit to the Pro Bowl/1st Team All-Pro/Playoffs, Ogbuehi continuing to show he's one of the worst OL in the league. Glenn is good, but still not Whit good. So all they did here was partially make up for their mistake after wasting a season and still coming out behind talent-wise.

Draft:
-We'll see. We probably won't know how this will work out until the end of the '19 season, unless they either don't make the roster, or immediately turn out to be Ogbuehi-bad, or Green-good.

Most of this optimism is just the annual post-draft orange Kool-Aid that gets pumped through your veins rather than looking at reality. Lol... it happens every year like clockwork.

That Bobby Hart you are talking about ,he was brought here to most likely be a backup emergency guy. And lapham has said he had a bad year last year,but the year before when they were a playoff team he wss doing just fine .
Reply/Quote
After the draft ,it has got me hyped and looking forward to the season. But I'm wishy washy kind of fan. I can see positives , I can see they are doing things completely different then usual. Who would of thought they'd actually let Adam Jones walk? I mean he will probably be on speed dial in case of injury but they really went out and replaced him.

Never have they drafted center and Safety that high. Getting rid of our o line coach was a great move and thought to never happen.

But to my negative side ,I'm always thinking there will be major injuries that will happen at the wrong time too possibly. Or the refs would cheat for Pittsburgh because they are NFL darlings. Or Marvin will make bone headed decisions. So I'm both positive and negative fan. I kind of think the NFL is rigged also. But I just love the Bengals too much to walk away.
Reply/Quote

Big Shakeup:

Free Agency:

Draft:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying......but axing Alexander was a HUGE move by Mike Brown standards.  With the Pollack hire, we've moved from a passive approach to an aggressive alpha type coaching the line.  Will it pay off?  Time will tell, but I think it will be a fruitful change.

FA?  Signing the NFL's leading tackler is WAY out of the Bengals' box....even if it is a one year deal.

Compared to most teams, yeah, it's kinda meager.  Compared to Bengals' past....these are pretty nice moves.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 06:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with a lot of what you're saying......but axing Alexander was a HUGE move by Mike Brown standards.  With the Pollack hire, we've moved from a passive approach to an aggressive alpha type coaching the line.  Will it pay off?  Time will tell, but I think it will be a fruitful change.

FA?  Signing the NFL's leading tackler is WAY out of the Bengals' box....even if it is a one year deal.

Compared to most teams, yeah, it's kinda meager.  Compared to Bengals' past....these are pretty nice moves.

Good Post I'm still a little dizzy and don't believe what we've done this year. We just ain't used to this kinda progression. I'm suprised the ground didnt quake in Cincinnati when we made these moves. It's been dormant for so many years.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 04:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: What are your views on Bengal management post draft?

I have been down on them since the Steeler playoff loss in 2015 and the refusal to immediately fire Marvin.

Last year's inaction on o line caused a debacle that was easily predicted with Piano man as o line coach, Bodine at center and Og at left tackle.

I think this year they made great moves getting the LT and LB from Buffalo and drafting the best players for need.

I think our roster is way better today than it was a year ago assuming Fisher can step up at RT and with Pollack as o-line coach.

Even  though he has a two year contract, from a fairness perspective his long term of service entitles him to a one year severance so firing him with a year to go on contract should be an acceptable option.

I do not see how they can sell him to season ticket holders and fans or even players for another year with a 7-9 record or less than that in 2018.
biggest tell  and best move..was getting rid of Mike Brown's  on the field tattle tale....that associate head coach of the offensive line
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 08:32 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Signing a 3rd or 4th round tackle does nothing to stabilize the line if there is an injury.  They are not going to step in and be productive in their first year - just doesn't happen for mid to late round O lineman.  The Bengals appear to be in win mode now and will find some experience for depth in September.  I'd rather take a cast off with experience than a rookie for a few games on the O line.
IMO It would be very difficult to fix as many holes as the B's had/have in one draft unless you are Cleveland and have all the picks yourself. I am satisfied with the left side (barring injury). I also think Pollack will get the most out of the candidates on the right side, or they will be gone. Overall I am uncharacteristically okay with management on this issue as of now.  Check with me mid season. Mellow

Out of the blue, I wonder if there is a guy loitering in the defensive group that could be coached to play offensive line? Whatever
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 06:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with a lot of what you're saying......but axing Alexander was a HUGE move by Mike Brown standards.  With the Pollack hire, we've moved from a passive approach to an aggressive alpha type coaching the line.  Will it pay off?  Time will tell, but I think it will be a fruitful change.

You're right. I recall the O-linemen saying they were being coached to wait for the defender instead of attacking. I hope that concept went to Dallas with PA! Tongue
Reply/Quote

Big Shakeup:

Free Agency:

Draft:

What??  Man, get your head out of the sand.  Weather you want to acknowledge it or not, this team's management has made a noticeable shift from being complacent, to being proactive.

It's a good start.  And, from what I've seen so far, it gives me a glimmer of hope.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

The only thing that makes any sense at all is that Mike is no longer running the show.

I tell you with 99% certainty that if Mike had his way this off season we would have selected Lamar Jackson with the #12 pick and we would not have traded for Glenn.

Then, with the good Centers already off the board when we picked in the 2nd round he would have selected the 4th best Center (whoever that was) to fill that position.

Reply/Quote
I know this is a Bengals thread, but I saw ML beat Ravens and their HC on the road with a depleted offensive team in 2017. My point is those hating on decision to keep ML must also feel Ravens coach should be one.

I dropped my season tickets based on ML coming back, but I have to say the FO has been a lot more aggressive this off season and time will tell if it pays off or not.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Let's not get carried away yet. This has generally been a good offseason, borderline great by their standards. Not signing has beens, guys actually possessing some youth. But only signed to 1 year deals. Maybe that's a good thing, we will see. But it's not like they spent a ton either, and they could still sign somebody if they wanted. I doubt it though. Perhaps signing Reid would have allowed us to draft godeart.

I give them credit on the Glenn trade. I really hope it works out.

Piano man should have left long ago. Clinging to mediocrity for too long has held this team back.

I hope an offseason like this is the start of a new trend and not a 1 year aberration. The league is constantly changing and sometimes I think we have trouble keeping up.
Reply/Quote