Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You fans expect too much from these players
(11-28-2023, 11:11 AM)Whatever Wrote: Gee... it's almost like Zac was more worried about trying to win the game and keeping our playoff hopes alive than giving a 4th string RB some touches.  Somebody needs to check that man's priorities!!!!

Calling all pass plays for a backup QB i dont think helps anything.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really?  He played in the Big10, the same conference that produced the Watts, the Bosas, and a laundry list of other successful NFL pass rushers.  I would have thought that he would have been the regular 3rd down back by this point in the season, had he not gotten injured.

But yet he's not.... which tells me the coaches know something we don't. It's not like Mixon has always been the 3rd down back. It was Gio, then Perine. Obviously Brown has not stepped up. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 01:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: On one hand that makes him sound like a hater.
On the other hand that makes him seem like he has good judgement.

Torn on what to take from that.  Hilarious

He also didnt want us to consider drafting Darnell Wright who he projected as a 4th Rounder, the guy went 10th overall and has started every game.  He has some Mel Kiper in him.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 01:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well, they can't sit vets so......

Cant bench vets.  I get that you lack some basic ball knowledge, but this shouldnt be so difficult. 

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:29 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Cant bench vets.  I get that you lack some basic ball knowledge, but this shouldnt be so difficult. 

Vet's get benched all the time. Even cut. As we see around the league. But you've already stated this so why slam Zac for it? You said he can't sit vets or that will look bad... So how else are you getting Brown reps? Why are you mocking Zac for taking your stated stance? You want the youth to get experience, but unlike me, refuse to be creative in a way to get them those reps.... Sounding like Zac....

You see one of us is creating threads and complaining about not getting depth game reps, or hoping that they do, while the other is trying to find solutions to get them on the field. Which one are you?

I think you mocking Zac for doing exactly what you would be doing as HC is.... something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not real sure why someone would think this remark is funny? Chase Brown is a rookie running back who has never had to pass protect against NFL caliber pass rushers, let alone people like Twatt. Do you really want to find out how good he can do it in a game when we are already playing the #2 QB because the #1 is out for the year? Obviously, he has not shown enough in practice for the coaches to be confident in his ability. Maybe you do, maybe your one of those who wants to lose out and it doesn't matter to you what happens to Browning or McCarron?

It is Week 13.  NFL teams have played rookies since Week 1.   Our RB production has been horrendous.   If Brown is overwhelmed at Week 13 then they drafted the wrong kid or the coaching is subpar.   Yes, I think the word "overwhelmed" is funny, in that KC can draft 7th rounders that take them to the SB and we cant find one decent backup. 

I like you, but stop with the whiny, "maybe your one of those who wants to lose out", BS.   I'll say it again, I have TWO SETS OF SEASON TICKETS, SIX TOTAL SEATS, I spend more each home game than you do all season.  I am ok losing out, but Im not rooting for it, I have chastised those that say sit all vets and tank on purpose.  

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 01:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm leaning more and more towards the belief that the Bengals just need to just purge their entire RB room and bring in a new RB Coach to rebuild it from scratch.

Whatever the Bengals have been doing from a scouting/drafting/developing standpoint just hasn't been working.

We haven't drafted a RB higher than the 5th in the Taylor era and the last Day 1/2 pick we spent there was Mixon in the '17 draft.  With no significant FA adds, it's not a surprise the room sucks.

What's alarming is that when you look at Day 2:picks(which is where you usually want to target RB's), 7 of 10 Day 2 picks in the Taylor era have gone to Defense, with Sample, Higgins, and Carman being the exceptions.  The majority of "big" FA contracts during Taylor's run have either gone to Defense or the OL, as well.  That has left the cupboards bare in the RB and TE rooms and soon to be bare in the WR room when Tee and Boyd leave and we have Chase and a bunch of Day 3 picks and UFA's.  
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Vet's get benched all the time. Even cut. As we see around the league. But you've already stated this so why slam Zac for it? You said he can't sit vets or that will look bad... So how else are you getting Brown reps? Why are you mocking Zac for taking your stated stance? You want the youth to get experience, but unlike me, refuse to be creative in a way to get them those reps.... Sounding like Zac....

You see one of us is creating threads and complaining about not getting depth game reps, or hoping that they do, while the other is trying to find solutions to get them on the field. Which one are you?

I think you mocking Zac for doing exactly what you would be doing as HC is.... something.

JJ you are just not very intelligent.  Young guys can get reps rotating in, no need to bench vets.

Bench Mixon for a rookie that has never played.  That's tanking and stupid. 
Bench Awuzie for a rookie that has never played.  That's tanking and stupid. 
Bench Tee.  Thats tanking and stupid. 

It is against the rules, we will lose draft picks.  The Players Association will go to war against us.  No free agents will ever want to play here.

I obviously want young guys to get some snaps, Im just not stupid.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:32 PM)jj22 Wrote:
Vet's get benched all the time. Even cut. As we see around the league. But you've already stated this so why slam Zac for it? You said he can't sit vets or that will look bad... So how else are you getting Brown reps? Why are you mocking Zac for taking your stated stance?
You want the youth to get experience, but unlike me, refuse to be creative in a way to get them those reps.... Sounding like Zac....

Which is exactly what he is doing giving more reps to Battle while taking them from Scott.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Which is exactly what he is doing giving more reps to Battle while taking them from Scott.

This, and Battle earned that, no one will question it.

Unlike JJ suggesting that we bench Awuzie and start Ivey, which is dumb.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But yet he's not.... which tells me the coaches know something we don't. It's not like Mixon has always been the 3rd down back. It was Gio, then Perine. Obviously Brown has not stepped up. 

Over the past 4 seasons the Bengals have had several running backs, yet very few of them seem to develop enough to see meaningful playing time.  On the same line of thought, they have practically turned over the entire OL personnel, and the FAs they brought in haven't even been able to play up to levels that they had established with their previous teams.  So when you say the coaches "know something", I'm really beginning to wonder if they actually know what they're doing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:41 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is Week 13.  NFL teams have played rookies since Week 1.   Our RB production has been horrendous.   If Brown is overwhelmed at Week 13 then they drafted the wrong kid or the coaching is subpar.   Yes, I think the word "overwhelmed" is funny, in that KC can draft 7th rounders that take them to the SB and we cant find one decent backup. 

I like you, but stop with the whiny, "maybe your one of those who wants to lose out", BS.   I'll say it again, I have TWO SETS OF SEASON TICKETS, SIX TOTAL SEATS, I spend more each home game than you do all season.  I am ok losing out, but Im not rooting for it, I have chastised those that say sit all vets and tank on purpose.  

Well maybe they drafted the wrong kid then. Zac's been playing rookies. Battle and Turner have been getting snaps all season long, along with Yoshi. There's a reason he is not out there. You don't put a rookie in the game, even if it's game 13, who hasn't shown he's capable of it in practice. And there's nothing whiny about saying you're one of those who wants to lose out when you yourself say you're ok with losing out... being ok with is and wanting to do it is splitting hairs, regardless of how much you spend on tickets and games. You spend more, I've likely been here since longer (1968), does it really matter?
Reply/Quote
Tanking? You keep mentioning tanking when that insinuates they can win. It's like you don't understand what tanking means... What are you missing? This team isn't winning. Did you watch the last game when all the starters played majority of the snaps? They don't need to tank to lose. Hate to break it to you.

You love calling people names and get away with it repeatedly (because only a select few run to the mods about everything when folks finally retort back with a personal shot - and we all know who they are), but that doesn't distract from the facts I and everyone else has said tanking isn't what anyone is calling for. It's a lame crutch you keep throwing out to distract from the fact you keep demanding depth players to get reps with no plan on how they can get reps. You sound like Zac and it's painfully obvious. So quit complaining. The only way depth players can get reps is if they take them from someone. Facts. And it doesn't take a genius to know that.

So here we are. Turner won't get any playing time now that CTB is back. Brown won't get the reps you want given Mixon isn't going to lose reps.... Neither is the young receivers if Higgins returns. Why are you starting these threads beating a dead horse that you already have stated you agree with Zac?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really?  He played in the Big10, the same conference that produced the Watts, the Bosas, and a laundry list of other successful NFL pass rushers.  I would have thought that he would have been the regular 3rd down back by this point in the season, had he not gotten injured.

Yep and Chase Brown had the most experience in pass protection of all the RB's in the last Draft and was decent at it in college.

Mixon on the other hand has been better at pass pro this year, but has also struggled at times. Chase Brown also has great speed 
and balance, two things Mixon does not have. We need to see what this guy has this year to know if he is a part of the future or 
not. I am not for blowing up the RB room, but a new RB coach might be needed here along with another talent in the Draft.

We need lots of changes in the running game and we need to run it more, bottom line.

We are the worst running game in the NFL right now, pathetic.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well maybe they drafted the wrong kid then. There's a reason he is not out there. You don't put a rookie in the game, even if it's game 13, who hasn't shown he's capable of it in practice. And there's nothing whiny about saying you're one of those who wants to lose out when you yourself say you're ok with losing out... being ok with is and wanting to do it is splitting hairs, regardless of how much you spend on tickets and games. You spend more, I've likely been here since longer (1968), does it really matter?

That line of thought works, for an isolated incident or two.  When it becomes several, or even many players that aren't developing into successful professional players, you have to start questioning who is assisting those players with their development.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well maybe they drafted the wrong kid then. There's a reason he is not out there. You don't put a rookie in the game, even if it's game 13, who hasn't shown he's capable of it in practice. And there's nothing whiny about saying you're one of those who wants to lose out when you yourself say you're ok with losing out... being ok with is and wanting to do it is splitting hairs, regardless of how much you spend on tickets and games. You spend more, I've likely been here since longer (1968), does it really matter?

He may not be very good, they surely havent given him much chance in a game.  Why cant we develop a RB?  

You think I want to watch that garbage every week?   Im ok with it because I will have season tickets for years moving forward and my hope is that we wont suck at drafting better players this year and we will acquire some kids that will be impact players for another SB run.  Empty wins this year wont help that cause.  But I still cant root against them.  The losses just piss me off less.

BTW, I attended my first game in 1977 so we both have been around long enough.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Tanking? You keep mentioning tanking when that insinuates they can win. It's like you don't understand what tanking means... What are you missing? This team isn't winning. Did you watch the last game when all the starters played majority of the snaps? They don't need to tank to lose. Hate to break it to you.

You love calling people names and get away with it repeatedly (because only a select few run to the mods about everything when folks finally retort back with a personal shot - and we all know who they are), but that doesn't distract from the facts I and everyone else has said tanking isn't what anyone is calling for. It's a lame crutch you keep throwing out to distract from the fact you keep demanding depth players to get reps with no plan on how they can get reps. You sound like Zac and it's painfully obvious. So quit complaining. The only way depth players can get reps is if they take them from someone. Facts. And it doesn't take a genius to know that.

So here we are. Turner won't get any playing time now that CTB is back. Brown won't get the reps you want given Mixon isn't going to lose reps.... Neither is the young receivers if Higgins returns. Why are you starting these threads beating a dead horse that you already have stated you agree with Zac?

I'll type slower so you can understand.  I do not agree with Zac not giving the young guys any snaps. 

They need to be given some clock, rotated in a little bit more.  Do it properly.  That is my opinion.

Your suggestion to bench veterans that are not playing poorly is obvious tanking.  That is against the rules.  That is stupid.

Your suggestion to bench players not playing poorly that will be free agents in 6 weeks is more than stupid.

The fact that you dont know the difference in getting young players some snaps for experience vs absolute benching of starting veterans reveals a total lack of understanding.

Your idea is only acceptable the last 2 games of the season, not in Week 13.  

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: He may not be very good, they surely havent given him much chance in a game.  Why cant we develop a RB?  

You think I want to watch that garbage every week?   Im ok with it because I will have season tickets for years moving forward and my hope is that we wont suck at drafting better players this year and we will acquire some kids that will be impact players for another SB run.  Empty wins this year wont help that cause.  But I still cant root against them.  The losses just piss me off less.

BTW, I attended my first game in 1977 so we both have been around long enough.

Again, I don't think you can give him a chance in a game until he shows it in practice, because you risk the QB on every single snap his misses the protection. As to why they can't develop him, this is the first year Mixon has not been horrible at it, so it is either poor coaching or not easy to learn. And, you have to be willing. FWIW, I was really looking forward to this kid running the ball this season, as I'm quite tired of watching Mixon dance and fall down. Mixon seems to be running harder North and South this season, so at least maybe he's feeling pushed by Brown. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That line of thought works, for an isolated incident or two.  When it becomes several, or even many players that aren't developing into successful professional players, you have to start questioning who is assisting those players with their development.

You can argue coaching when players are not performing up to the investment you put into them.  Would anyone be surprised if a WR, CB, or OT couldn't get on the field as a 5th round pick barring injuries?  Not really.  5th round picks are usually reserves and bubble guys that often don't even make it through their rookie deals.

You can't hand your coach chicken shit and expect him to make chicken salad.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 03:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, I don't think you can give him a chance in a game until he shows it in practice, because you risk the QB on every single snap his misses the protection. As to why they can't develop him, this is the first year Mixon has not been horrible at it, so it is either poor coaching or not easy to learn. And, you have to be willing. FWIW, I was really looking forward to this kid running the ball this season, as I'm quite tired of watching Mixon dance and fall down. Mixon seems to be running harder North and South this season, so at least maybe he's feeling pushed by Brown. 

Yeah, Mixon has been much better this season in pass pro and as a North and South runner.

Still would be nice to see what Chase Brown can do behind our starting OL. Haven't seen it yet. I find Whatever's Chase Brown 
hate to be bogus for this very reason. Let's see him running behind our starting OL and see him given a few holes to know more
please. Mixon has been better in pass pro but he also has missed some blocks too this year that risked the QB.

Why not do it with the backup QB? I think from what the coaches said and the fact that we only had about half the Offensive 
snaps we normally do in the last game is the main reason we didn't see any significant snaps for Chase Brown.

We will see what happens the rest of the season, but 8 running plays is pretty inexcusable for any Offense, even if it was not 
working IMO.
Reply/Quote