Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You fans expect too much from these players
(11-29-2023, 09:09 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right, just take Mixon for example. He's been killing it in pass pro his entire career.

Ninja

Saw what you did there BF74  Smirk

Yeah, give Chase Brown a shot in pass protection, he had a lot of experience at it at Illinois and it wasn't a weakness.

Now if he starts to fumble the ball which was the question with him we know why the coaches have kept him hidden.

(11-29-2023, 10:18 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Trayveon? No he hasn't:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillTr06.htm

He was on PS and/or inactive, otherwise I think he's missed like 5 games out of a possible 75. That's not always hurt.

In fact, if you search, "Trayveon Williams injury," in Google the ONLY thing that pops up is from this year and something about missing the first 5 games of his rookie season. That's it.

Guy is NEVER hurt.

Had a nice return against the stealers too. I like Trayveon, always have since his Texas A&M days.

(11-29-2023, 10:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That was Rodney Anderson, his draft mate that never played due to his ACLs tearing.

Last year in college, tore it. First year with us, tore it in TC. Next year, tore it again in the 2nd PS game.

Yeah, sad stuff with Rodney.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 03:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont disagree.  He may not be good.  With the way this season has gone, not playing a guy in Week 13 due to being "overwhelmed"  just mind numbingly pisses me off.  Kid had a ton of pass pro sets at a major D1.  They talked about wanting him to play.  I'd rather they say he isnt a good blocker than he would be "overwhelmed".   If I was Chase Brown I would not be happy reading that.  

Honestly, unless it's Lorenzo Neal, just about everyone will be "overwhelmed" by Watt. Pitt and Balt are not defenses you want to break new guys in on unless you have no other option. 

Just be patient, Brown will get his chance and probably as soon as next week.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 04:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Honestly, unless it's Lorenzo Neal, just about everyone will be "overwhelmed" by Watt. Pitt and Balt are not defenses you want to break new guys in on unless you have no other option. 

Good point Mike. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 04:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Honestly, unless it's Lorenzo Neal, just about everyone will be "overwhelmed" by Watt. Pitt and Balt are not defenses you want to break new guys in on unless you have no other option. 

Lorenzo Neal is now, IMO, easily the most-overrated player of the modern era.

He would probably struggle with Watt just like anyone, as TJ could run around him with one leg.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 05:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Lorenzo Neal is now, IMO, easily the most-overrated player of the modern era.

He would probably struggle with Watt just like anyone, as TJ could run around him with one leg.

I don't remember what show I was watching, but they were discussing poor offensive line play across the league that has resulted in diminished offense across the board. One of the analysts pointed out just how freakishly athletic edge rushers are in this era, vs the athleticism of your typical olineman. I thought it was an excellent point. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 05:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: I don't remember what show I was watching, but they were discussing poor offensive line play across the league that has resulted in diminished offense across the board. One of the analysts pointed out just how freakishly athletic edge rushers are in this era, vs the athleticism of your typical olineman. I thought it was an excellent point. 

The NFL desperately needs a minor league for development. Even more so as it's pretty inevitable that the NFL will add more teams eventually.

Just go back to 1992 when there were still 12 rounds. Or go back to 1976 with 17 rounds, and adopt MLB draft eligibility rules of HS grads or 3rd year after HS. Then maybe we won't have such a huge drop off from injuries around the league.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 05:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The NFL desperately needs a minor league for development. Even more so as it's pretty inevitable that the NFL will add more teams eventually.

Just go back to 1992 when there were still 12 rounds. Or go back to 1976 with 17 rounds, and adopt MLB draft eligibility rules of HS grads or 3rd year after HS. Then maybe we won't have such a huge drop off from injuries around the league.

The NFLPA is against player development. The amount of time Coaches are allowed to make corrections on a football field is criminal. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 07:04 PM)Synric Wrote: The NFLPA is against player development. The amount of time Coaches are allowed to make corrections on a football field is criminal. 

This is why players should attend off season personal training for learning specific Technique(s) on their own time. Coaches don't have the time to teach them from the ground up anymore and can simply watch for errors that need fixed.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 01:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think I’ve seen you dislike a player this much since Auden Tate. Tongue

he dislikes chase brown as much as I dislike joey mixon 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 05:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The NFL desperately needs a minor league for development. Even more so as it's pretty inevitable that the NFL will add more teams eventually.

That would really be beneficial I believe. But then there's this....

(11-29-2023, 07:04 PM)Synric Wrote: The NFLPA is against player development. The amount of time Coaches are allowed to make corrections on a football field is criminal. 

Especially at this level. 

Reply/Quote

(11-30-2023, 12:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: That would really beneficial I believe. But then there's this....

Especially at this level. 

It would be a lot of extra jobs though, which would be the selling point for the NFLPA. A lot of guys who would be in the XFL or CFL, or a HS Coach, or on their couch would get a chance to develop in a minor league and potentially make it to the majors.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Shocker that in a game where they only ran the ball 11x they didn't get tontheirn3rd string rookie RB.

I'm more blown away that they refuse to play Chris Evans. I view him as the most dynamic back on the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 05:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Lorenzo Neal is now, IMO, easily the most-overrated player of the modern era.

Especially since Twatt is offsides on almost every play, but he's an NFL Superstar so he doesn't get called.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 05:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:
The NFL desperately needs a minor league for development.
Even more so as it's pretty inevitable that the NFL will add more teams eventually.

They already do. It's called the NCAA
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 07:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: This is why players should attend off season personal training for learning specific Technique(s) on their own time. Coaches don't have the time to teach them from the ground up anymore and can simply watch for errors that need fixed.

Yes personal trainers can help with maximizing the body and the individual technique but they can't help with timing of the play, the timing of the guy next to them, and corrections within the system only being with the coaching staff can do that.

(11-30-2023, 03:26 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It would be a lot of extra jobs though, which would be the selling point for the NFLPA. A lot of guys who would be in the XFL or CFL, or a HS Coach, or on their couch would get a chance to develop in a minor league and potentially make it to the majors.

I get the idea for a developmental minor league but alot of the players it would benefit the most say the 100+ 4th-6th rounders that will collect 3 times the pay in NFL getting minimum reps in limited practices probably won't take part.

I would just love some more on field time practice time for players in at least their first 2 seasons. Get some more on field scheme corrections instead of just running through as many plays in 11 on 11 as fast as possible and trying to correct issues in the classroom the next day.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They already do. It's called the NCAA

Which is a problem due to the systems predominantly ran at that level.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 10:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: Which is a problem due to the systems predominantly ran at that level.

That may well be. But, is there any doubt that the top-tier football athletes who will come into the NFL are going to come from the NCAA ranks? If they're good enough to play, they're most likely going to play in college. So, liken it to baseball. All the AAA players are playing D-1, most of your AA players are playing D-2. Any developmental league the NFL created would mostly be Class A ballplayers, or AA or AAA players who did not make it into the NFL or got there and did not stick or were injured. In that scenario, I highly doubt the developmental league could create any revenue at all, and we all know the NFL is about making money. So, it's never going to happen. They'll continue to rely on the NCAA, the CFL and XFL for their athletes. 
Reply/Quote
A minor league or a tier 2 league for the NFL would be fantastic. Something like where there is a relegation and promotion system which I wish baseball would do would also be great.

However, and a massive however, the injuries is what would ultimately keep this from happening. And in particular head injuries. I just can't ever see it happening when there is NCAA, Canadian, XFL, and even Arena League out there.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 01:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That may well be. But, is there any doubt that the top-tier football athletes who will come into the NFL are going to come from the NCAA ranks? If they're good enough to play, they're most likely going to play in college. So, liken it to baseball. All the AAA players are playing D-1, most of your AA players are playing D-2. Any developmental league the NFL created would mostly be Class A ballplayers, or AA or AAA players who did not make it into the NFL or got there and did not stick or were injured. In that scenario, I highly doubt the developmental league could create any revenue at all, and we all know the NFL is about making money. So, it's never going to happen. They'll continue to rely on the NCAA, the CFL and XFL for their athletes. 

Yep, the only real problem is offensive line development. I've seen several point the offensive systems in college ball as a culprit.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 01:41 PM)Millhouse Wrote: A minor league or a tier 2 league for the NFL would be fantastic. Something like where there is a relegation and promotion system which I wish baseball would do would also be great.

However, and a massive however, the injuries is what would ultimately keep this from happening. And in particular head injuries. I just can't ever see it happening when there is NCAA, Canadian, XFL, and even Arena League out there.

Maybe they should seek partnerships with Arena, XFL, etc and help them promote the leagues and develop the players that need it. Obviously the CFL probably wouldn't be interested, but the American leagues just might.

Reply/Quote