Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You feed Mixon and good things happen
Seriously not sure where this offense has even all year but it’s no secret that when you feed Mixon the ball it opens the offense up. Mixon is an absolute beast and here’s to hoping for a better 2020 season
Reply/Quote
Today was an improvement but even today we had some patches of head scratching playcalling. Zac needs to relinquish the playcalling and we need a real NFL caliber OC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 08:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: Today was an improvement but even today we had some patches of head scratching playcalling. Zac needs to relinquish the playcalling and we need a real NFL caliber OC.

They need to bring in Brady from LSU
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 08:14 PM)Trademark Wrote: Seriously not sure where this offense has even all year but it’s no secret that when you feed Mixon the ball it opens the offense up. Mixon is an absolute beast and here’s to hoping for a better 2020 season

Yes and no.... for the 1st half in many games he was just stuffed by a better D and opposing coaches. That said, abandoning Mixon vs teams that struggled with him was Zac's coaching mistakes, which I think led to many of our loses. 
Reply/Quote
They were up against the 30th rushing defense.

There's a reason why Mixon's 2 best games this season came against the Browns. They're not very good.

- - - - - - -

Mixon vs Browns (2 games)
49 carries, 308 yards (6.29 YPC), 3 TD
4 carries of 20+ yards, 1 carry of 40+ yards

Mixon vs Everyone Else (14 games)
229 carries, 829 yards (3.62 YPC), 2 TD
2 carries of 20+ yards, 0 carries of 40+ yards

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 08:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: Today was an improvement but even today we had some patches of head scratching playcalling. Zac needs to relinquish the playcalling and we need a real NFL caliber OC.

WhoDey2  How do we know that the OC isn't a better play caller?? Granted it is his first time being an Offensive Coordinator, but hell, I'd at least give him a shot... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 09:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They were up against the 30th rushing defense.

There's a reason why Mixon's 2 best games this season came against the Browns. They're not very good.

- - - - - - -

Did you make these kinds of posts after Dalton beat up on the Browns all those years?

I don’t remember seeing them...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 08:14 PM)Trademark Wrote: BSeriously not sure where this offense has even all year but it’s no secret that when you feed Mixon the ball it opens the offense up. Mixon is an absolute beast and here’s to hoping for a better 2020 season

Taylor was busy having Dalton throw it 50 times a game early in the season. The running game was purely an after thought. Remember those games where the team ran it less than 10 times.

Here's Mixon stats this season:

1. Seattle 6 carries for 10 yards
2. San Fran 11 carries for 17 yards
3. Buffalo 15 carries for 60 yards
4. Pissburgh 15 carries for 65 yards
5. Arizona 19 carries for 93 yards
6. Baltimore 8 carries for 10 yards
7. Jax 10 carries for 2 yards
8. LAR 17 carries for 66 yards
9. Baltimore 30 carries for 114 yards *** First game of the year where Mixon had 20+ carries when he should have at least 20 carries every game.
10. Oakland 15 carries for 86 yards
11. Pissburgh 18 carries for 79 yards
12. NYJ 19 carries for 44 yards
13. Cleveland 23 carries for 146 yards *** Second game of the year where Mixon had 20+ carries.
14. New England 25 carries for 136 yards
15. Miami 21 carries for 50 yards
16. Cleveland 26 carries for 162 yards

The last 4 games of the year Taylor called Mixon's number 20+ times. In the first 12 games of the year Mixon only had 20+ carries only once.

This is just piss-poor use of the talent that is there on this team. It's not just the running either. The defense was a mass confusion for most of the season.

There's nothing Taylor has done that warrants his return. The 2-14 season matches the Bengals' worst every year and the HC was fired that year. Taylor should follow him out the door.

(12-29-2019, 09:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They were up against the 30th rushing defense.

- - - - - - -

The two Browns games were half of the total games (4) where Mixon even had 20+ carries. It's really amazing that there's a HC anywhere in the league who believe they can win without running the ball, especially when you have one of the best backs in the conference.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did you make these kinds of posts after Dalton beat up on the Browns all those years?

I don’t remember seeing them...

You also don't remember me making threads about how letting Dalton sling the ball around leads to good things happen after he beat up on the Browns, either.

Because it is the Browns.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You also don't remember me making threads about how letting Dalton sling the ball around leads to good things happen after he beat up on the Browns, either.

Maybe not, but you’re a big Dalton guy, and I doubt you took him padding his stats against the worst team in the league for years with a grain of salt.

Just trying to be objective here.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 11:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You also don't remember me making threads about how letting Dalton sling the ball around leads to good things happen after he beat up on the Browns, either.

Remember the Thursday night game against the Browns in 14? I do believe Dalton was the worst QB to ever lace em up in that game. Pederman may have edged him out with that game a coupla years ago, but still.

My post has nothing to do with nothing, but Dalton had a reeeaaally bad game against the Browns.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:12 AM)jason Wrote: Remember the Thursday night game against the Browns in 14? I do believe Dalton was the worst QB to ever lace em up in that game. Pederman may have edged him out with that game a coupla years ago, but still.

My post has nothing to do with nothing, but Dalton had a reeeaaally bad game against the Browns.

Ah the 2.0 game...

Oof was that a bad one.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah the 2.0 game...

Oof was that a bad one.

Tell me about it... I was there, and it was ***** cold on top of that. 40 degrees or something, but the wind chill had to be in the 20s.

I took my then step son down for his first NFL game. He's a Browns fan, and it was for his birthday so it's a good memory nevertheless... Speaking of which; I need to text him in the morning, and let him know I missed the game today, and ask him who won.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Maybe not, but you’re a big Dalton guy, and I doubt you took him padding his stats against the worst team in the league for years with a grain of salt.

Just trying to be objective here.

I wouldn't call myself a big Dalton guy, I am just really not a McCarron/Driskel/Finley guy. Maybe that is where the confusion is from? Lol

I have always acknowledged Dalton for what he is. A solid but unspectacular starter who with a good supporting cast and OC can be a good-to-very-good starter. Conversely he is also never going to be a guy who will overcome a bad OC and supporting cast as we have seen lately with the Zampese/Lazor/Taylor offensive shitshow we have been subjected to the last few years.

If you look back to 2019 draft threads on here, I was open to drafting Haskins to replace Dalton, so long as the plan was to let Haskins sit and learn for a full year. (Granted, that might not have helped as much as hoped since Taylor is awful.)

Reply/Quote
So does Mixon have 20+ carries when he's running well or does Mixon run well when he has 20+ carries? Those early games where he was averaging less than 2 YPC should we have just given him 25+ carries and hoped that he'd end up with more than 50 yards?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So does Mixon have 20+ carries when he's running well or does Mixon run well when he has 20+ carries? Those early games where he was averaging less than 2 YPC should we have just given him 25+ carries and hoped that he'd end up with more than 50 yards?

I don’t think you should ever abandon the run after single digit attempts from your #1 RB. No matter how many yds you’re getting/not getting. And Taylor did it at least a couple times early this season. It makes the offense one dimensional, and when you have a struggling QB and only one legit WR threat that’s a recipe for disaster.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think you should ever abandon the run after single digit attempts from your #1 RB. No matter how many yds you’re getting/not getting. And Taylor did it at least a couple times early this season. It makes the offense one dimensional, and when you have a struggling QB and only one legit WR threat that’s a recipe for disaster.

I get that but when Mixon was getting so little production it was early enough that we were still thinking ZT was going to make Dalton and Ross into superstars so I can picture us freaking out if our new offensive genius HC kept calling 1 yard runs.
Reply/Quote
It's frustrating that we all knew that would work, as it was the main thing that worked last year. In fact, we all expected the Bengals to focus on the run this year since it was expected to mimic the Rams offense, and we were all completely baffled when they didn't in the first half of the season. Can't believe it took them half a season to figure that out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So does Mixon have 20+ carries when he's running well or does Mixon run well when he has 20+ carries?  Those early games where he was averaging less than 2 YPC should we have just given him 25+ carries and hoped that he'd end up with more than 50 yards?

This.

We had these same threads back when Jeremy Hill was the RB in 2015. After 2014 the plan for a lot of people was "give Hill the ball 30 times a game" so when Week 3 rolled around and he had 12 carries for 21 yards, people were like "you gotta give him 20+ carries before he gets going!"

Then they felt vindicated because the only time Hill got 20+ carries that year he ended up with 22 carries for 98 yards... against (you guessed it) the Browns. 

Turns out he was just Jeremy Hill. 

- - - - - - - -

Joe Mixon had under 2.0 YPC in 4 of his first 7 games. He was never going to get 20+ carries while producing that poorly.

Case and point, the only two games where Mixon got 20+ carries when he wasn't doing well was the Week 10 massacre vs the Ravens where the game ended so soon, and the Week 16 game vs the Dolphins where they didn't REALLY want to win, because a loss clinched the #1 pick.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 10:26 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This.

We had these same threads back when Jeremy Hill was the RB in 2015. After 2014 the plan for a lot of people was "give Hill the ball 30 times a game" so when Week 3 rolled around and he had 12 carries for 21 yards, people were like "you gotta give him 20+ carries before he gets going!"

Then they felt vindicated because the only time Hill got 20+ carries that year he ended up with 22 carries for 98 yards... against (you guessed it) the Browns. 

Turns out he was just Jeremy Hill. 

- - - - - - - -

Joe Mixon had under 2.0 YPC in 4 of his first 7 games. He was never going to get 20+ carries while producing that poorly.

Case and point, the only two games where Mixon got 20+ carries when he wasn't doing well was the Week 10 massacre vs the Ravens where the game ended so soon, and the Week 16 game vs the Dolphins where they didn't REALLY want to win, because a loss clinched the #1 pick.

I recall listening to nfl podcasts about that game where we kept running Mixon while the Ravens blew us out and the comment was that ZT was just trying to get the game over with and take the L.

Spot on about the Hill thing.  The idea of forcing your offense to center around something or someone who isn't producing seems like a bad idea reserved for coaches who refuse to adjust during a game.  Lord knows how we feel about that!

Well they're stopping the run, now what? Im all out of ideas so let's just keep running the ball.
Reply/Quote