Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
You get to add one
(05-11-2022, 05:41 PM)Go Cards Wrote: RB

Would love to have a two headed monster rushing attack this year.

People talk about being thin at WR but if Mixon gets hurt you're going to see thin.

I don't know, Perine can actually run the ball and I like Evans.  Hopefully he sees more time this year.
Reply/Quote
I think the signing that would help the most is Tretter. I would like to bring Larry back for a year. I also wouldn't mind bringing Spain back on another year deal. If we were gonna bring in a WR I would go with Keelan Cole. I think he would fit well as a 4th WR he has experience and has the potential for explosive plays.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Burrow to Allen?

Winner, winner. 

I'd also nominate: 

Chase to Mike Thomas. 
Hurst to Sample. 
Cappa to Adeniji. 
Karras to Hill. 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 04:32 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: A lot of people are saying Tretter, but the guy never practiced last year due to his knee issues.  I don't know that he'd be a guy I'd want on the roster.

The obvious largest drop-off from starter to back up is Collins to Prince, and quite frankly it's not even close.

(05-11-2022, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Burrow to Allen?

Uhhhhh...no to both of these.  

Currently, our WR4 would be Stanley Morgan.  Morgan has 5 catches for 29 yards on 14 targets for his career.  That's after 3 years in the league.  That's .9 receiving yards/game.  That's a miserable 35.7 catch %.  That's 5.8 yards/catch and 2.8 yards/target.  In his lone career start, he had 1 catch for 8 yards on 2 targets.  His career high for receiving yards in a game is 9.  No, there's no missing zero in that.  9 damn yards....on 4 targets.  Say what you want about Allen, but he's had a 300 yard game and multiple 200 yard games.  Say what you want about Prince, but he's had games where he didn't allow a sack and was at least a serviceable starter.  Morgan hasn't even broken double digits in a game...hell, he's averaging less than 10 yards a year.  Yeah, people like him for ST's and his work ethic.  He's still a complete and utter liability as a position player.  Chase had 8 catches of 40+ yards last year.  Morgan doesn't even have 40 yards for his career.  

If I get one guy, I'm getting Landry.
Reply/Quote
I have always been a big fan of Akiem Hicks. I don't know if his play has fallen off a cliff, but he is reaching that DT age where it is going to happen soon. If he is still good adding that monster to our DL would be awesome and really take our D up another level.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 05:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't even care if Tretter needs to take practices off for his knees. The only snaps he has missed in the last 5 years was the 1 game he missed in 2021 with COVID. That's toughness and reliability, regardless of the practicing.

I would like to see the Bengals sign Tretter but also realize why they might not want to.  If Tretter were signed, that would be 4 new starters on the Oline that have never played together.  Tretter would have to practice to get that Oline comfortable playing together in Zac's system.  Tretter couldnt just come in and miss practices.  He would need to be out there every day.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 05:41 PM)Go Cards Wrote: RB

Would love to have a two headed monster rushing attack this year.

People talk about being thin at WR but if Mixon gets hurt you're going to see thin.

I tend to believe in the Mike Shanahan philosopy.  If the Bengals have a good Oline with a really good QB, any decent RB should be able to make plays in that offense. 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 07:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Uhhhhh...no to both of these.  

Currently, our WR4 would be Stanley Morgan.  Morgan has 5 catches for 29 yards on 14 targets for his career.  That's after 3 years in the league.  That's .9 receiving yards/game.  That's a miserable 35.7 catch %.  That's 5.8 yards/catch and 2.8 yards/target.  In his lone career start, he had 1 catch for 8 yards on 2 targets.  His career high for receiving yards in a game is 9.  No, there's no missing zero in that.  9 damn yards....on 4 targets.  Say what you want about Allen, but he's had a 300 yard game and multiple 200 yard games.  Say what you want about Prince, but he's had games where he didn't allow a sack and was at least a serviceable starter.  Morgan hasn't even broken double digits in a game...hell, he's averaging less than 10 yards a year.  Yeah, people like him for ST's and his work ethic.  He's still a complete and utter liability as a position player.  Chase had 8 catches of 40+ yards last year.  Morgan doesn't even have 40 yards for his career.  

If I get one guy, I'm getting Landry.

You just said our #4 WR. Let that sink in...After Chase, Higgins, Boys, Mixon, Hayden. 

I could be our 4th WR and there are still bigger back up needs on the team.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 08:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You just said our #4 WR. Let that sink in...After Chase, Higgins, Boys, Mixon, Hayden. 

With as many 3 WR sets as they run I feel like it is still one of the biggest needs.
And no to you as WR4…you know you get alligator arms when you have to go across the middle of the field!
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 08:18 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: With as many 3 WR sets as they run I feel like it is still one of the biggest needs.
And no to you as WR4…you know you get alligator arms when you have to go across the middle of the field!

First off: Don't underestimate what I can bring as a WR#4. I'm a huge International Soccer fan so I know as soon as a defender even brushes against (or gets close to me) I can drop to the field like I've been shot and roll around in agony. That has to get us a couple PI calls.

Secondly: If the biggest need for a team with Chase, Higgins, and Boyd is WR, then we're in pretty good shape. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 05:49 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't know, Perine can actually run the ball and I like Evans.  Hopefully he sees more time this year.

Not a hater of Perine but not a big fan of his running abilities either. For such a big man he tries to finesse too much instead of getting behind his pads and punishing tacklers. He moves really well for his size but not NFL fast enough for his style imo. 

Plus have a hard time forgiving him for not trying to catch that last pass in the SB that Burrow threw in desperation that landed not far from where Perine stood and watched it flutter to the ground. 

Got to think Mixon would have broke his neck trying to catch that pass. Yet Zac loves Perine so what do I know and actually hope all of you are right and RB is not a problem at all. 

Yet my vote still goes for a RB for this particular season. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 08:52 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Plus have a hard time forgiving him for not trying to catch that last pass in the SB that Burrow threw in desperation that landed not far from where Perine stood and watched it flutter to the ground. 

That broadcast angle is deceiving. Perine really didn't have a chance at getting that ball. 

[Image: IW6LyRm.png]
Reply/Quote
Out of current free agents? It’s almost gotta be Jarvis Landry. The WR 1-3 here are the best in the league, but 4-6? I don’t see how it’s not among the worst, though admittedly, I don’t know much about the rest of the NFLs bench receivers. We may end up with a RB being our 4th best wide option though, so changing that would be huge.

Maybe James Bradberry…maybe Gronkowski? JC Tretter and move Karras to LG?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
No doubt about it.JC Tretter.
Reply/Quote
Carson Strong would have been a great backup QB option given he was not drafted and would have been cheap.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 08:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You just said our #4 WR. Let that sink in...After Chase, Higgins, Boys, Mixon, Hayden. 

Three WR's are starters.  There are much higher odds that one of those three misses significant time than Burrow does.  There's three of them, not to mention I would wager that the typical injury rate for WR's is higher than QB's. 

We can talk depth at other spots, but literally every spot on the team has at least one drafted player on his rookie deal and still in his development curve on the bench except WR and QB.

RB-Evans, 
TE-Sample
T-Smith, Adeniji
G-Volson
C-Hill
Edge-Ossai, Sample, Kareem, Wyatt, Gunter
3T-Carter
NT-Shelvin
LB-ADG, Bailey
CB-CTB
S-Hill, Anderson
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 02:57 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: There are no spots we NEED to upgrade but there are a handful I’d like to see the bengals bring in some insurance for. I’ll list them in order so if I can only choose one give me a solid vet WR4 capable of playing on the outside.

1- WR- there are many vets out there that we could add for $1-4 mil on a one year deal. Give me one who could give us 700-800 yards if he was a starter. If we lose one of our top 3 WR’s we have nothing behind them. The Rams needed about 5-6 legitimate starters last year to make win the Super Bowl and we only have 3.
2- Foles QB. Not sure there is anyone else out there id want to spend money on at this point at QB but Foles is a no brainer if he’s affordable. With this team he could have another magical Eagles type run if the worst ever happened. He’d at least help us survive a few games if Joe goes down temporarily.
3- Bradbury or another vet CB to be CB4 or even 5 early and compete with CTB. Not a glaring need after the draft but this is our year, better to have too many guys than not enough.
4-OL. I’d love to bring Spain back for a million or so under the understanding that he will be a backup. He would be a huge luxury as a backup. If not him I’d love to see a G/C combo as I don’t have faith in Hill so far if needed at C. Even Reiff if he comes cheap to be a backup. I’m not overly concerned about OL at this point but one more solid backup vet won’t hurt to have when we will hopefully be playing 20+ games again this year.

Any addition at this point has to come at a reasonable price tag like all of my suggestions. I don’t see much talent out there worth spending big on especially with our lack of holes at this point. I’m not interested in breaking the bank or really even giving out multi year deals. I would like to see an improvement here or there to our depth for this season though. We could even afford to add a TE/WR for depth if the right guy is there. Basically every spot could be upgraded. I’m ok with LB and Safety depth but outside of that I wouldn’t rule out any spot on O/D

I don't see how you bring Spain back and not at least let him compete for the starting spot. Even if you give the edge to Jackson in the event of a tie or he's competing closely if worse with him.
Reply/Quote
Bradberry is in his prime and takes the secondary to another level. Gotta keep him away from another AFC team. Tretter has the resume but due to durability he comes in 2nd in this convo, assuming Gronk isn't on the table.
Reply/Quote
I would go Gronk. Not that we need it, but he'd give us that extra push to keep the team focused on the task at hand and prevent complacency from last year's run. And it'd be a great storyline as he tries to win his first Lombardi without big bro and to get out of that shadow.

In terms of the biggest drop, I'd say it's McPherson to... God knows who'd get the call. Burrow to Allen is obviously massive but the season would be over if we had to play him anyway. Save for a handful of exceptions, the backup QB is the most overrated position in the game.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 03:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'd say a 4th receiver.

At this point if we add a body to the DLine, someone we "like" is getting cut.

Wideout is really the only spot worthy of a FA if we refusing to consider moving Karras.

Can we upgrade RB #2 or at least add better competition (legit) to the room for that spot? I think we can even though I like Evans, but is he ready to pass protect, and are we really  ok if Mixon gets.... Well I won't say it.

I really think Shermari Jones is going to make this team. He didn't catch a lot of passes in college but that doesn't mean he can't do it.Pretty close in size and speed of Mixon as well.
Reply/Quote