Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're the OC, what plays do you add...
(01-05-2018, 08:45 AM)JonasNJ Wrote: I would add some 2 back sets. With Gio / Mixon. 
Option for run or pass.

See what Saints is doing with Ingram and Kamara. They use both backs, at same time. Making defence guess what they will do.

I love this idea.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Also I remember Adam Jones saying: "If you win field position and defense, you should win the [bleeping] game." 

While what he said may have been out of line, I feel that it is my duty to exhibit things as they are, not as they ought to be and what he said wasn't far from the truth.

We have to get some time consuming drives. Our defense was on the field longer than any other team this year, statistically speaking. We were on the field for 1091 plays, almost 30 more plays then the next worst team.

This leads to your defense getting wore down, causing the defense to get injuries and second half collapses. Think on this for a bit, our offense was so inept that it actually began spilling over on our defense.

In all actuality, our defense played to a top 7 NFL defense level throughout the entirety of the year. Just take a look at some of the stats.

Our secondary was brilliant for most of the year, they only gave up 5.6 net yards per attempt and only two teams were better the Minnesota Vikings and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

They gave up only 20 TD's and only 7 teams were better. They only allowed 59 completion percentage better than the 62.1 percent NFL average.

The Bengals had more rushes against them than any other defense in the NFL other than the San Francisco 49ers. They had 489 rushes against them and gave up the 3rd most yards, but for only 4.2 yards a rush. Which isn't great, but cope that with a Bengals offense that was on the field less than any other offense and it's easy to see why they got so wore down.

Consider this the Bengals defense only gave up 5 yards per play on those 1091 plays, only 5 teams were better. If you take the Bengals plays to the League average of 1013 plays we end up with the 7th defense in the NFL.

So while Adam Jones may have been out of line with what he said, he wasn't far from the truth. Our special team and defensive units played to a top 10 NFL level throughout the entirety of the year, for the most part.

Our offense was so badly inept, specifically speaking the offensive line, that it actually spilled over to the rest of the team. We averaged 3.6 yards a carry, only two teams were worse, but we have a back field that includes Gio Bernard, Mixon, Jeremy Hill, and Cedric Peerman. That's four competent NFL running backs, does any other NFL team have that?

Yet, we couldn't run to save our life's this year. Lol
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Any play(s) with more misdirection. Play action, pump fakes, fake reverses...anything like that. Get creative and get the defense leaning. We just seem so predictable.
Reply/Quote
Another person down for some more Gio Joe action.

- more Mixon in the I formation behind Hewitt...running behind Westerman please

- if Redmond is not a starter would be up for some heavy formations with Redmond as TE.

- More deep post routes for AJ ...especially off play action.  Not every deep ball has to be squeezed into the sideline

- Whatever the last pass call versus Ravens was that Boyd scored on...everyone split out but then he (or could be a TE) just sat between the deep safety and LB
Reply/Quote
I'd use any play that scores TD's.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 05:27 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Where should I start? Let me start by giving you some eye opening stats.

Tom Brady threw for more yards than the entire Bengals offense as a whole gained. 4577 yards to 4488.

Who remembers the 5 toughest years in Bengals history, I'm talking about the 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 years. The offense was better every single year, with the exception of 2000. The year Smith was our QB we had 4260 yards of offense. The difference is this team has way too much talent to be playing like the Smith years.

The 0-16 Browns statistically blow us out of the water. In all honesty, we played worst in every way then the Browns, with the exception of our secondary. If not for the 28 INTs, this was an 8-8 team.

Don't believe me look at some of those scores, 21-18 31-28 17-14 12-9 19-10 27-21 28-24. Give them Dalton they may have even went 10-6.

For some reason Marvin Lewis loves to play Mixon and Hill, but Bernard has always seemed to run better than both. I don't understand it either, why the obsession with them?

Does he think you have to be 230 pounds to be effective in the AFC North? Ever heard of James Brooks? What kills me though is that I see Bernard lower his head more than either Hill or Mixon.

Without even batting an eye, if Paul Brown and Bill Walsh was on this team like in the 70s, with the O-Line playing bad, Bernard would of seen at least 100-150 more touches.

Those little swing passes became an extension of the run in the 70s, then it was revolutionary but now it should be common sense. That's entirely on the coaching.

Dalton to me is not the problem, it's the O-Line and coaching. Dalton has been sacked 39, 41 and 46 times in a year. Stats have proven he has the 2nd quickest release. 6.7 yards per an attempt was the lowest since his rookie year. His sack percentage was the 2nd highest in his career 7.3 percent and yards per game was the lowest in his career.

Generally you wanted to be below 6% in sack percentage. Some of the QB's below 6 are Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Jared Goff, Joe Flacco, Case Keenum, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers.

Some of the QB's around Daltons sack percentage DeShone Kizer, Tyrod Taylor, Jacob Brissett, Josh McCown, Trevor Siemian, Mitch Trubisky, Tom Savage, Carson Palmer, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rogers (Got Hurt Because Of It), Cam Newton, Jameis Winston.

Quarterbacks can play well with higher sack percentages, but generally it means they are playing well despite of, not because of.

Point being that if you give Dalton the time to throw like Drew Brees then he'll play like Drew Brees. Get him beat up and he'll play like he's beat up.

Obviously there's ways to coach around having a poor O-Line but obviously we didn't do that last year.

To answer your question, if Paul Brown was alive this is the prescription he would give us. Get back to the basics. Show up to practice early, leave practice late. Be punctual, get a good night's sleep. Eat 3 solid meals a day. Be professional, take the time to build the team camaraderie. Study the game, to develop yourself to make the least amount of mistakes possible.

Paul Brown said the team that makes the least mental errors will generally win. Remind yourself of why you first fell in love with this game. Tell yourself this, we may not be the most skilled team, but we will be the most prepared team.

You do that and we can win.

Lots of great information in this post, reps. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:31 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Also I remember Adam Jones saying: "If you win field position and defense, you should win the [bleeping] game." 

While what he said may have been out of line, I feel that it is my duty to exhibit things as they are, not as they ought to be and what he said wasn't far from the truth.

We have to get some time consuming drives. Our defense was on the field longer than any other team this year, statistically speaking. We were on the field for 1091 plays, almost 30 more plays then the next worst team.

This leads to your defense getting wore down, causing the defense to get injuries and second half collapses. Think on this for a bit, our offense was so inept that it actually began spilling over on our defense.

In all actuality, our defense played to a top 7 NFL defense level throughout the entirety of the year. Just take a look at some of the stats.

Our secondary was brilliant for most of the year, they only gave up 5.6 net yards per attempt and only two teams were better the Minnesota Vikings and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

They gave up only 20 TD's and only 7 teams were better. They only allowed 59 completion percentage better than the 62.1 percent NFL average.

The Bengals had more rushes against them than any other defense in the NFL other than the San Francisco 49ers. They had 489 rushes against them and gave up the 3rd most yards, but for only 4.2 yards a rush. Which isn't great, but cope that with a Bengals offense that was on the field less than any other offense and it's easy to see why they got so wore down.

Consider this the Bengals defense only gave up 5 yards per play on those 1091 plays, only 5 teams were better. If you take the Bengals plays to the League average of 1013 plays we end up with the 7th defense in the NFL.

So while Adam Jones may have been out of line with what he said, he wasn't far from the truth. Our special team and defensive units played to a top 10 NFL level throughout the entirety of the year, for the most part.

Our offense was so badly inept, specifically speaking the offensive line, that it actually spilled over to the rest of the team. We averaged 3.6 yards a carry, only two teams were worse, but we have a back field that includes Gio Bernard, Mixon, Jeremy Hill, and Cedric Peerman. That's four competent NFL running backs, does any other NFL team have that?

Lots more great information, a lot of i didn't know, makes me feel better about Guenther honestly, but still have to get off
the field on 3rd downs and we were the worst at this. Sure, the Offense really hurt our Defense and i am of the mantra it
doesn't matter how good your Defense is if they are on the field all the time, but getting 3 and outs helps the Defense get
off the field and rest.

Thought the run Defense should of been much better with our DT's. Billings clearly was not over the injury this year. But
Glasgow, Sims and Tupou have all been great at stopping the run in the past. It is their bread and butter. Our Ends are also
usually good against the run, Dunlap, MJ are usually good against the run and Willis was good against the run at Kansas St.

Again i point to LB play who all were bad besides Burfict. Haslett needs to go.

Also was hearing how terrible our Secondary was all year on here. Your stats TBM show something different...
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:44 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Another person down for some more Gio Joe action.

- more Mixon in the I formation behind Hewitt...running behind Westerman please

- if Redmond is not a starter would be up for some heavy formations with Redmond as TE.

- More deep post routes for AJ ...especially off play action.  Not every deep ball has to be squeezed into the sideline

- Whatever the last pass call versus Ravens was that Boyd scored on...everyone split out but then he (or could be a TE) just sat between the deep safety and LB

Believe that was a Seam route...
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 05:27 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Where should I start? Let me start by giving you some eye opening stats.

Tom Brady threw for more yards than the entire Bengals offense as a whole gained. 4577 yards to 4488.

Who remembers the 5 toughest years in Bengals history, I'm talking about the 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 years. The offense was better every single year, with the exception of 2000. The year Smith was our QB we had 4260 yards of offense. The difference is this team has way too much talent to be playing like the Smith years.

The 0-16 Browns statistically blow us out of the water. In all honesty, we played worst in every way then the Browns, with the exception of our secondary. If not for the 28 INTs, this was an 8-8 team.

Don't believe me look at some of those scores, 21-18 31-28 17-14 12-9 19-10 27-21 28-24. Give them Dalton they may have even went 10-6.

For some reason Marvin Lewis loves to play Mixon and Hill, but Bernard has always seemed to run better than both. I don't understand it either, why the obsession with them?

Does he think you have to be 230 pounds to be effective in the AFC North? Ever heard of James Brooks? What kills me though is that I see Bernard lower his head more than either Hill or Mixon.

Without even batting an eye, if Paul Brown and Bill Walsh was on this team like in the 70s, with the O-Line playing bad, Bernard would of seen at least 100-150 more touches.

Those little swing passes became an extension of the run in the 70s, then it was revolutionary but now it should be common sense. That's entirely on the coaching.

Dalton to me is not the problem, it's the O-Line and coaching. Dalton has been sacked 39, 41 and 46 times in a year. Stats have proven he has the 2nd quickest release. 6.7 yards per an attempt was the lowest since his rookie year. His sack percentage was the 2nd highest in his career 7.3 percent and yards per game was the lowest in his career.

Generally you wanted to be below 6% in sack percentage. Some of the QB's below 6 are Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Jared Goff, Joe Flacco, Case Keenum, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers.

Some of the QB's around Daltons sack percentage DeShone Kizer, Tyrod Taylor, Jacob Brissett, Josh McCown, Trevor Siemian, Mitch Trubisky, Tom Savage, Carson Palmer, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rogers (Got Hurt Because Of It), Cam Newton, Jameis Winston.

Quarterbacks can play well with higher sack percentages, but generally it means they are playing well despite of, not because of.

Point being that if you give Dalton the time to throw like Drew Brees then he'll play like Drew Brees. Get him beat up and he'll play like he's beat up.

Obviously there's ways to coach around having a poor O-Line but obviously we didn't do that last year.

To answer your question, if Paul Brown was alive this is the prescription he would give us. Get back to the basics. Show up to practice early, leave practice late. Be punctual, get a good night's sleep. Eat 3 solid meals a day. Be professional, take the time to build the team camaraderie. Study the game, to develop yourself to make the least amount of mistakes possible.

Paul Brown said the team that makes the least mental errors will generally win. Remind yourself of why you first fell in love with this game. Tell yourself this, we may not be the most skilled team, but we will be the most prepared team.

You do that and we can win.

Man......you need to post more sir.  Well said. Rock On

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:31 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Also I remember Adam Jones saying: "If you win field position and defense, you should win the [bleeping] game." 

.....again, pure gold.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Believe that was a Seam route...

Yup, and the safety over the top bit on Lafell instead of Boyd.  Had he followed Boyd, the throw likely goes to Lafell there.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 08:11 AM)Takedown Wrote: Lastly, get Ross involved some way, some how. I don't care what he looks like in practice. Some players have that 'on switch' when you get them in the game and he may be one of them. See what the kid can do... Hopefully he can stay healthy next season and be productive (if Marvin gets the stick out of his a** that is...). Sorry, not trying to go off topic.

Tell me about it.

Somehow this team in the past could get Hawkins to be a successful weapon.

Yet the same coach can't get Ross and even Gio used in the same manner.

I just don't understand why? 

Get them in space just like they used to with Hawkins.

Hell I wouldn't even mind seeing Pacman used in this manner if they keep his thug ass around.

All three of these guys could be explosive.

If they fix the O-Line and we still don't see any of these players used in this fashion it will be maddening!!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Plays? Plays? We're just trying to pick up a yard.
Reply/Quote
Adding this one from an old Lions game for sure:

[Image: BestFinishEver.gif]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
1st of all I go.more uptempo
In the past uptempo equaled moving the chains and scoring more often than not
Don't give the defense a chance to make personal changes

The 1st play I add quicker tosses to the edge with Gio and Mixon. Both can get to.the corner in a flash.
Then allow cut back lanes for them to do damage

Then I add John Ross in as many packages as I can. Line him.up every where possible. The defense will
Have to account for him every play

Have Ryan Hewitt run arrow routes on 2nd and 3rd and short .every other good offense has that play in their book.

More drag routes for any WR.amazing how sending Green and Ross deep will open the middle of the field

Last but not least more counters misdirection
Reply/Quote