Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Top 3 fixes (Players)
I see multiple threads about "this guy sux" "maybe, but not as bad as this guy" 'I want this guy" "I want this guy more" "ect....". So here's your chance to give your top 3 fixes (you can only fix 3). You can get "free fixes" by replacing with someone already on the roster. For instance: I choose to replace WJIII with Darius Phillips then that doesn't cost me one of my 3 fixes. Also maintaining one of our own is a given and doesn't need to be addressed.

Fixes can be things such as: "must be resigned" "sign FA (fill in name), "draft (fill in name)'ect...

I'll give you a couple tools to assist:

To determine re-signs/signing the following link will take you to next year's scheduled FAs:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

To assist with drafting the following link will give you some insight:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Here's your starting lineup:

QB- Joe Burrow
RB- Joe Mixon
WR 1- Tyler Boyd
WR 2- Tee Higgins
WR 3- AJ Green
TE- CJ Uzomah
LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Mike Jordan
C- Trey Hopkins
RG- XFS
RT- Bobby Hart

RDE- Carl Lawson
DT- Geno Atkins
NT- DJ Reeder
LDE- Sam Hubbard
LB1- Germaine Pratt
LB2- Logan Wilson
CB1- WJIII
CB2- Trae Waynes
CB3- Mac Alexander
FS- Jessie Bates
SS- Vonn Bell

**If you're like Fred Toast and don't feel like we need to replace a minimum of 3 starters, then pick some guys for depth.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We need 2 new Guards and a defensive line that can pass rush. IF we're going to go more 3-4 then we need to get guys that fit that scheme.

IF the coaches go though, maybe we don't use a 3-4.

So, if you limit me to 3, I'd say 2 new Guards and a DE that can pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We need 2 new Guards and a defensive line that can pass rush. IF we're going to go more 3-4 then we need to get guys that fit that scheme.

IF the coaches go though, maybe we don't use a 3-4.

So, if you limit me to 3, I'd say 2 new Guards and a DE that can pass rush.

Great analysis. Now gimme names like:

Sign: Larry Walford
Draft: Trey Smith (UT) in RD 2
Sign: Justin Houston

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure I get this exercise. AJ, Lawson, WJIII, Alexander are all free agents next season so will need re-signing or replacing. That's 4 holes to begin with and you're limiting to 3 fixes. That doesn't allow for upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:25 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I'm not sure I get this exercise. AJ, Lawson, WJIII, Alexander are all free agents next season so will need re-signing or replacing. That's 4 holes to begin with and you're limiting to 3 fixes. That doesn't allow for upgrades.

Wait, is that you Mikey?
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:25 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I'm not sure I get this exercise. AJ, Lawson, WJIII, Alexander are all free agents next season so will need re-signing or replacing. That's 4 holes to begin with and you're limiting to 3 fixes. That doesn't allow for upgrades.

I thought about addressing this in the "rules" and will adjust. Maintaining a player doesn't count as fixes. It's "free".

Also not sure how much of a "hole" letting AJ walk creates. I'd venture to say the hole remains whether he stays or goes.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So, if you limit me to 3, I'd say 2 new Guards and a DE that can pass rush.

Agree with the 2 OGs, but I think both Lawson and Hubbard can get after the QB if we have some pressure up the middle from DTs.

DT is a big question because I have no idea if Atkins is ineffective due to injury or if he is just washed up.  If both he and Reader can com back 100% then maybe a DE instead of DT.
Reply/Quote
The biggest needs I have on the team are currently LG, RT, 3T
1.) LG- Joe Thuney- Best available G in the off season
2.)RT- Darryl Williams- He was an all pro in 2017 for the Panthers got hurt struggled a bit but rebounded this season.
3.) 3T Jaylen Twyman Pitt- He reminds me of a younger Geno.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Great analysis. Now gimme names like:

Sign: Larry Walford
Draft: Trey Smith (UT) in RD 2
Sign: Justin Houston

Sign: Brandon Scherff or Thuney
Draft: Sewell - Gotta do it.
Sign: C/G Austin Blythe Rams

Line: Sewell, Spain, Blythe, Scherff, Williams
Bench: Hart, Adeneji, Hopkins are the primary.

DE: Sign Ngakou

I realize they'd never sign all these guys...but with Green coming off the books, and Burrow on a rookie deal...now's the time to do it.

I'd also look at a veteran WR for like $8 million a year like Marvin Jones.
Reply/Quote
Not sure if I'm going to format this in a way that follows the rules, but here you go...

1.) Draft Sewell (Moves Jonah to RT, cut Bobby Hart, frees up cap space)
2.) Sign Joe Thurney or Brandon Scherff to play G (Release XSF, frees up cap space)
3.) Sign Hunter Henry (Release Uzomah, frees up cap space)

By my calculations, here are the rough financials of each move in regards to cap space:

In: Sewell (5), Thurney/Scherff (14), Henry (10). Total = 29 million in cap hits in 2021

Out: Hart (6), XSF (2.5), Uzomah (5.5). Total = 14 mil cap saved in 2021

So I've dipped into our projected 2021 cap space of 42 million dollars by using 15 million on these moves. Which leaves us with 27 million to build out the rest of the roster. Player like Atkins (9), Bernard (4), Finney (3.5), Erickson (2), Price (2), Tupuo (2) could be casualties to free up additional space.

Note: I used the higher side of estimates on incoming players. Prices may go down once we see the effect of a decreased cap.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I see multiple threads about "this guy sux" "maybe, but not as bad as this guy" 'I want this guy" "I want this guy more" "ect....". So here's your chance to give your top 3 fixes (you can only fix 3). You can get "free fixes" by replacing with someone already on the roster. For instance: I choose to replace WJIII with Darius Phillips then that doesn't cost me one of my 3 fixes. Also maintaining one of our own is a given and doesn't need to be addressed.

Fixes can be things such as: "must be resigned" "sign FA (fill in name), "draft (fill in name)'ect...

I'll give you a couple tools to assist:

To determine re-signs/signing the following link will take you to next year's scheduled FAs:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

To assist with drafting the following link will give you some insight:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Here's your starting lineup:

QB- Joe Burrow
RB- Joe Mixon
WR 1- Tyler Boyd
WR 2- Tee Higgins
WR 3- AJ Green
TE- CJ Uzomah
LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Mike Jordan
C- Trey Hopkins
RG- XFS
RT- Bobby Hart

RDE- Carl Lawson
DT- Geno Atkins
NT- DJ Reeder
LDE- Sam Hubbard
LB1- Germaine Pratt
LB2- Logan Wilson
CB1- WJIII
CB2- Trae Waynes
CB3- Mac Alexander
FS- Jessie Bates
SS- Vonn Bell

**If you're like Fred Toast and don't feel like we need to replace a minimum of 3 starters, then pick some guys for depth.  

Learn how to throw screen passes that gain more than 3 yards.
Learn how to defend screen passes/passes out in the flat that go for less than 15 yards.
Run reverses/end-arounds with someone that can gain more than 2 yards because THAT'S WHAT THOSE FREAKIN' PLAYS are suppose to do.
Reply/Quote
Kind of understand this exercise but I believe you could fix more than 3 holes in a given offseason, but I get it.

My 3 are pretty easy. Fix the lines and you will win more games.

Sign the best guard in FA, draft Sewell and draft a pass rush in round 2. Like Basham jr. from Wake Forest.

Those moves will keep Burrow upright and make it more difficult for opposing QBs.

But they do need to resign Carl Lawson IMO.
Reply/Quote
Re-sign Quinton Spain (LG - replace Jordan)

Sign Larry Warford (RG - replace Redmond/XSF)
Sign Josh Reynolds (WR3 - replace Green)
Sign Derek Wolfe (3-4 DE, 4-3 DT)

Draft Penei Sewell (RT - replace Hart)
Draft Hamilcar Rashed Jr (DE - rotate with Lawson and Hubbard)
Draft Jaylen Twyman (DT - replace Atkins, can also play 3-4 DE when in 3-4 alignment)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 01:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought about addressing this in the "rules" and will adjust. Maintaining a player doesn't count as fixes. It's "free".

Also not sure how much of a "hole" letting AJ walk creates. I'd venture to say the hole remains whether he stays or goes.

AJ will be heading South next season. There's a chance he could end up in NE, but I'm hearing that he's ready for warmer temps and to be closer to his family. That's just the scuttlebutt here in the panhandle.
Reply/Quote
1. Fix #1: Sewell replaces Jonah Williams at LT. Plus: Free fix: Williams replaces Hart at RT. Would not mind keeping Hart as a reserve, but he is expensive.

2. Fix #2: Sign the best FA OG out there (Thuney?) to replace Jordan. XSF is the other OG. Or maybe Hart.

3. Fix #3. Man, could go in many directions. DE. WR1. CB.Whichever need can best be filled via a non-insanely priced FA, we should do that. Fill the next one top of round 2. If WJ3, or Lawson, or Green will come back for reasonable, then fine. Otherwise, bye.

Screw it, get rid of AJ.
Reply/Quote
Free Fix:
Spain replaces MJ at LG

Sign Leonard Williams
Draft: Best exterior Olineman available
Sign: Gerald Everett

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 03:46 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: 1. Fix #1: Sewell replaces Jonah Williams at LT. Plus: Free fix: Williams replaces Hart at RT. Would not mind keeping Hart as a reserve, but he is expensive.

2. Fix #2: Sign the best FA OG out there (Thuney?) to replace Jordan. XSF is the other OG. Or maybe Hart.

3. Fix #3. Man, could go in many directions. DE. WR1. CB.Whichever need can best be filled via a non-insanely priced FA, we should do that. Fill the next one top of round 2. If WJ3, or Lawson, or Green will come back for reasonable, then fine. Otherwise, bye.

Screw it, get rid of AJ.

May I ask why you thumbs down my post when 2 of my 3 suggestions are pretty much identical to yours?

Do you really hate spending 4 mil more on Hunter Henry than CJ Uzomah that much?
Reply/Quote
In FA: let Green ($18.2 mil) and Williams ($4.8 mil) walk. That is $23 million opening up. Dunlap's cap hit was $6.1 this year, but is only $2.25 million next. So nearly $27 million there.

Our big FA decisions are WJ3 ($10 mil now), Alexander ($4 mil cap), and Lawson ($2.3 cap). I like Alexander the best of the 3, but would be open to bringing back the other 2 for reasonable deals.

1. Fix #1. Draft Sewell. Move Jonah to RT. Hart benched/released/moved to OG. We can save $5.9 mil by letting Hart go. 2021 is his last year under contract.

2. Fix #2. Sign the best OG we can get in FA. I'd put Scherff above Thuney. But he'll also likely be more expensive and his team less willing to let him go. This will probably cost us $13 mil -$16 mil per.

I'd put DE, CB, and WR (speed) as my next biggest fixes. With Alexander & WJ3 FAs. Tough to judge the DBs. Is Lou the problem or not? 

Personally, I'd let WJ3 walk. Bring back Alexander. I figure that adds around $4 mil to the cap space. Around $37 mil to start. Minus $15 for our OG. $22 mil left. I'd go FA hunting and draft at rounds 2 & 3 for WR speed, pass rush, and CB. And plan on using my #1 pick next year in those areas.

I'dbe aggressive in FA with Joe on rookie deal, but only for primo guys. Doubt I'd pay huge for WR, as I think Burrow can maximize guys.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: In FA: let Green ($18.2 mil) and Williams ($4.8 mil) walk. That is $23 million opening up. Dunlap's cap hit was $6.1 this year, but is only $2.25 million next. So nearly $27 million there.

FYI: All of that money is already accounted for in the projected 41.7 million in cap space.  None are under contract, and letting them walk doesn't add to our space.  It just prevents us from using some of it on them.

Only way you're opening up money in addition to that figure is by cuts or trades.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 04:48 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: FYI: All of that money is already accounted for in the projected 41.7 million in cap space.  None are under contract, and letting them walk doesn't add to our space.  It just prevents us from using some of it on them.

Only way you're opening up money in addition to that figure is by cuts or trades.

Yep.

The Bengals may be "saving" $23 mill by not paying for AJ Green and Shawn Williams, but the cap is expected to drop by about $25 mill compared to this year, so it's not really a gain.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote