we'll stink 4 wins or less
0%
0 0%
Total 73 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your gut feeling this season
(08-07-2017, 12:59 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I think 8-8 is the ceiling, personally.  Want more than anything to be proven wrong, but we have a young team so there will be growing pains.  Plus, until proven otherwise the offensive line remains a concern.  If Dalton has no time in the pocket or the o-line is unable to open running lanes for Gio/Hill/Mixon, then all those fancy new weapons on offense don't mean a whole lot.

Don't forget Zampese is not a top tier OC at this point. If he excels with plays and formations to keep defenses honest, there may be more wins than losses.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 05:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think it is a player's game and the accountability is mostly on the players. I look back at the playoff losses and it was players that failed to step up in a big way or made crucial mistakes, not coaching that cost us wins in my opinion.

Luvnit I agree in part, ultimately the players on the field make the blocks or not. Catch the pass or not, throw a great pass or not, fumble or not and on and on.

Having said that the coaching and running of the team are a huge part of the equation as well ! I don't have a lot of confidence they'll push the right buttons, play the right players, have the right game plans, call the right plays, remove players not getting it done and on and on.

How long did it take to pull the plug on Ogbuehi last season as one example. Marvin plays the game way to conservative as another. I could go on and on about my doubt of this staff and owner but suffice is to say, I have no confidence in them.

I hope the players can work around their shortcomings.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 04:47 PM)McC Wrote: No way are we worse than last year.  

I hope not but honestly it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.

If the team stumbles out of the gate, Marvin will have nothing to use for motivation. I would bet there are players on the team that are ready for a change and a better chance in prime time and the playoffs. I could see some of the vets quitting on him.

Understand, I am not wishing for that or even guessing that it happens. I am just saying it is too early to make a prediction. If the o-line gets it together in the pre-season and the team shows signs of life, things can get interesting. But, if they struggle, Marvin's going to play hell keeping control.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
For me, it'll depend on what guys offensive guys are around, how Zamp/Marv use them, and of course the o-line. I think the defense will be okay, provided the main guys stay healthy. I picked 6-10, but 8-8 is within the realm of possibility. I don't think they'll be much better than that.
Reply/Quote
As long as Mikey Boy has a hand in it, you know how it's going to turn out.

Love,

The Houston Oilers
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 05:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was not questioning his opinion or anyone that has gloom and doom. I was questioning his entire first post. Rad it and tell me why I am wrong questioning him acting like he was trying to be fair and not judgmental. He later gave a positive post, but first post seemed like mind was made up (bad year) based on his words, not anyone else;s or past history.  I highlighted in bold what i was referring to if you would like to check it.

Gotcha. I went back and read it over. But it still seems to me that going from doom and gloom to tempering expectations is still more moving toward the positive than negative. 

I'm certainly tempering my expectations because i haven't seen where a Marv lead team can win in the playoffs, and that more than the regular season is what keeps me tempering. 

I'm sure the doom and gloom label has been applied to me once or twice...or more...over the last few months because i don't believe a Marv team can win in the playoffs. To me, that's not doom and gloom. It's just reality up to this point. I'm still gonna be watching and cheering. The sad reality is, those cheers aren't going to be at the level they've been at in years past because until they can get over the hump, i'm not going to be satisfied with just a good regular season. 

I'll be happy to shout my lungs out, for any current player or coach, and enjoy it as much as any fan, as soon as they get over that hump. I'm just not ready to erase 27/14 and start at full power with the same people that have produced the 27/14. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Good news is if the offensive line steps up they are a contender...

Bad news is even if the line plays poorly with their schedule the rest of the offense and defense is good enough to go 8-8 or even 9-7 miss the playoffs and be drafting late teens.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 07:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Gotcha. I went back and read it over. But it still seems to me that going from doom and gloom to tempering expectations is still more moving toward the positive than negative. 

I'm certainly tempering my expectations because i haven't seen where a Marv lead team can win in the playoffs, and that more than the regular season is what keeps me tempering. 

I'm sure the doom and gloom label has been applied to me once or twice...or more...over the last few months because i don't believe a Marv team can win in the playoffs. To me, that's not doom and gloom. It's just reality up to this point. I'm still gonna be watching and cheering. The sad reality is, those cheers aren't going to be at the level they've been at in years past because until they can get over the hump, i'm not going to be satisfied with just a good regular season. 

I'll be happy to shout my lungs out, for any current player or coach, and enjoy it as much as any fan, as soon as they get over that hump. I'm just not ready to erase 27/14 and start at full power with the same people that have produced the 27/14. 

No doubt this team can rip your heart like what happened when Jeremy Hill fumbled a playoff win away in seconds. I have the same concerns as you and many have as well. I guess the difference is the great thing about a new year is in essence the old year is erased (especially when it was bad).

I am an optimist who does not want to miss one moment of a great journey. So, I choose to go all in every year. If it does the norm of the franchise and no playoffs or a playoff win I will be disappointed for a short time, but then put my life in perspective and move on to college basketball, work, church or family (not in that order).

But if they surprise and do something special, I will have enjoyed the entire ride if I jump on board early, not just the end of the ride if I did not.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 07:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt this team can rip your heart like what happened when Jeremy Hill fumbled a playoff win away in seconds. I have the same concerns as you and many have as well. I guess the difference is the great thing about a new year is in essence the old year is erased (especially when it was bad).

I am an optimist who does not want to miss one moment of a great journey. So, I choose to go all in every year. If it does the norm of the franchise and no playoffs or a playoff win I will be disappointed for a short time, but then put my life in perspective and move on to college basketball, work, church or family (not in that order).

But if they surprise and do something special, I will have enjoyed the entire ride if I jump on board early, not just the end of the ride if I did not.

Life in perspective doesn't even apply where i'm concerned. I'll get over a bad Sunday afternoon game shortly after it's over, simply because i'm not going to be a sulking prick around my family. 

Old year erased always applied to me when, actually before, training camp arrived in the past. 

But, if it makes any difference in appearance, i can still have doubts/reservations while enjoying the ride as it's happening. And i do just that.

Maybe i just don't explain my position well enough. I will be there every game, enjoying the ride and getting over the bad after it happens. I will still jump out of my seat when big plays happen and high five everyone around me. But i won't predict, look forward to, talk about how player X is going to rock this year or "hope" (i hate that word so much when it comes to the Bengals) any more. The expectations is what takes the hit. I just refuse to believe or participate in the hype. And that's exactly what Marv and Co. have earned over the 27/14 era.

My new fan-stance is 'i'll believe it when you show me'. But i'll be there from the beginning to see if it happens. Not just at the end.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Predicting six or eight wins is just plain nutty. Saying Ah sure hope Ah'm wrong is the goofy cherry on top.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hey Bengal fans I just asked for time off from work for September 24th which is our game against each other and the boss approved it today, excited!!
Reply/Quote
SMH....
I see the offensive line being average....they get the job done...w/ our weapons, a top 5 D, Bullock making the field goals, Elliot will get cut, imo....
16-0 & yes a SB victory.....
Mixon is offensive Rook of the yr...Andy Dalton MVP & also A.D. will be S.B. MVP....
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 07:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Life in perspective doesn't even apply where i'm concerned. I'll get over a bad Sunday afternoon game shortly after it's over, simply because i'm not going to be a sulking prick around my family. 

Old year erased always applied to me when, actually before, training camp arrived in the past. 

But, if it makes any difference in appearance, i can still have doubts/reservations while enjoying the ride as it's happening. And i do just that.

Maybe i just don't explain my position well enough. I will be there every game, enjoying the ride and getting over the bad after it happens. I will still jump out of my seat when big plays happen and high five everyone around me. But i won't predict, look forward to, talk about how player X is going to rock this year or "hope" (i hate that word so much when it comes to the Bengals) any more. The expectations is what takes the hit. I just refuse to believe or participate in the hype. And that's exactly what Marv and Co. have earned over the 27/14 era.

My new fan-stance is 'i'll believe it when you show me'. But i'll be there from the beginning to see if it happens. Not just at the end.

Very well said, and this is exactly how I feel. I'll watch every game I can and I'll still cheer like mad when they score or win...I just know what to expect in the end based on a mountain of evidence. Mike/Marv/Alexander and co are among the most tenured in their positions in the NFL.

I know the Patriots are a likely SB candidate. I know the Browns are going to suck. I know the Bengals' ceiling is likely as a swift first round playoff exit. I'm past "hope" with this crew. There's just too many years and too much evidence to fool myself.

I respect that others may feel differently, and I used to get that preseason optimism myself. This is just where I'm at with this group in 2017.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Oline was terrible last year and it wasn't just OG & Bodine. But this is a new season so until proven wrong I'm predicting much better play from them. OG came in last season pretty much as a rookie physically. He's had an entire camp this year for the first time and for the most part has done ok, not great but ok.
I'm really thinking that the big change of Witt and Zietler gone is forcing these guys to pick up their games and I believe they will. I could be wrong, but I have more confidence than not. I'm thinking that since we've heard next to nothing about Geno and Billings and, well most of the Dline it means the oline is holding up minus the one real bad day. 
Usually I'm not that confident about the Oline. For some reason it just feels different.   
Adding THE MIXER isn't going to do anything but take some of the extra heat off them as he dazzles the league.. Defenses are going to have to respect our running game solely because of THE MIXER.. That alone may just give Andy the extra second to get the ball in the air for our receivers.. The heck with 13 wins.. I'm going for broke and saying 14 wins, maybe more..
If I'm completely wrong and they stink I'm blaming the drugs and alcohol of my youth..then again I'm always over confident this point in the season..
Reply/Quote
IMHO, the OL will struggle thru the 1st 4-6 games but the D will bail the team out in those games, so we're about 3-3 over 6 games. Remember the Seahawks from several years back when they started a makeshift OL that got better as the season progressed?

As the OL improves ... and barring injuries ... I see us making a run over the last 10 games and going about 8-2 in the last 10.

So, for me, 11-5 (but not winning the division), making the playoffs and winning a WC game at home.

However, I also remember my Dad's favorite saying ... "If wishes were horses, all beggars would ride." 
Reply/Quote
I don't know, I just get this feeling we're going to be in the playoffs again. The OL worries me, but I get this feeling that Dalton and the offensive weapons will find a way to compensate. I think the defense will be one of our best one of the NFL's best ever and our special teams should improve.

I see us going 10-6 and making the playoffs. I'm still not confident we win a playoff game, but I feel like we're going to at least play in one again.

BTW, did I use 'feel' or 'feeling' enough times for y'all? Wink
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 07:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt this team can rip your heart like what happened when Jeremy Hill fumbled a playoff win away in seconds. I have the same concerns as you and many have as well. I guess the difference is the great thing about a new year is in essence the old year is erased (especially when it was bad).

So, you're not big on logic, data or thinking.   You're just an 'optimist'  Lol - That is how 6 year olds think. 
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 01:23 PM)McC Wrote: 13-3, lose in the AFCCG, win it all next year.  A lot of people who have already made their minds up on the OLine will have a lot of egg on their faces but to hear them talk, they had been on board right from the start.

And all the national blowhards who have predicted six wins will say nothing and go on being blowhards and predict five wins for next year.

This is hilarious. 
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 11:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Very well said, and this is exactly how I feel. I'll watch every game I can and I'll still cheer like mad when they score or win...I just know what to expect in the end based on a mountain of evidence. Mike/Marv/Alexander and co are among the most tenured in their positions in the NFL.

I know the Patriots are a likely SB candidate. I know the Browns are going to suck. I know the Bengals' ceiling is likely as a swift first round playoff exit. I'm past "hope" with this crew. There's just too many years and too much evidence to fool myself.

I respect that others may feel differently, and I used to get that preseason optimism myself. This is just where I'm at with this group in 2017.

Both you and rfaulk did a much better job of saying what I meant to say and did a bad job at it. 

Part of the reason, most of it more likely, is that I really don't know how to feel about this team ? On the one hand I want to believe, but on the other I know what's coming down the stretch.

The cruel life of being a Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis lead Bengals Fan.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 01:48 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: This is hilarious. 
 The sad thing is, you sukk at trolling.  You can't do anything right.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote