Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youth Football protest
(09-16-2016, 04:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: As far as I am concerned they will be kneeling forever with their beloved afro bearded Kaepernick. But what else can the federal government do, especially when the President of said federal government is black? Maybe its me, but they are protesting the flag of the national government that has passed numerous laws in the past 50+ years in regards to civil liberties and discrimination. So again, what else can the government of the flag they are protesting do?

That said thankfully they arent living in some countries out there that if they did this they would be barred from sports if not worse for not standing to their anthems.

I wonder why this government keeps passing those civil liberty laws? I mean, isn't life too good for "those people" already. Hell, I thought they had it too good singing in the fields and getting free food and shelter just for chopping cotton from sun up to sun down. Give 'em an inch... Sarcasm

Maybe one day this country will figure it our, and bar them from sports for not standing. There are a lot of Americans demanding this. Maybe the government will hear them and do the right thing. Sarcasm
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-16-2016, 04:36 PM)xxlt Wrote: I wonder why this government keeps passing those civil liberty laws? I mean, isn't life too good for "those people" already. Hell, I thought they had it too good singing in the fields and getting free food and shelter just for chopping cotton from sun up to sun down. Give 'em an inch... Sarcasm

Maybe one day this country will figure it our, and bar them from sports for not standing. There are a lot of Americans demanding this. Maybe the government will hear them and do the right thing. Sarcasm

Um ok

I just simply asked what else can the federal government do (in regards to people living in an 'oppressed America') ? 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-16-2016, 04:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: As far as I am concerned they will be kneeling forever with their beloved afro bearded Kaepernick. But what else can the federal government do, especially when the President of said federal government is black? Maybe its me, but they are protesting the flag of the national government that has passed numerous laws in the past 50+ years in regards to civil liberties and discrimination. So again, what else can the government of the flag they are protesting do?

That said thankfully they arent living in some countries out there that if they did this they would be barred from sports if not worse for not standing to their anthems.

Afro bearded?

You forgot to include "uppity."

Lashing out at his ethnicity because you disagree with him underscores the impetus of his protest. 
(09-16-2016, 04:40 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Um ok

I just simply asked what else can the federal government do (in regards to people living in an 'oppressed America') ? 

I'm not sure anyone is asking for federal government action or if it is the answer at this point. (Conservative readers of this thread have just stood up and cheered or fainted.)

It seems like you are reading some things into the protest. Maybe you are correct, I don't know. To me the flag and anthem are not a symbol of merely the federal government, which is part of why people have gotten so juiced about this. They feel (I think) like the flag and anthem represents them and any challenge to either is interpreted not as a challenge to make the country "more perfect" but as a personal attack. I think that is an unfortunate misunderstanding. It does seem the protests have sparked dialogue (or many monologues) and I think that may have been more the objective or at least a better outcome than more legislation.

I saw a really ugly meme today: it pictured white cops labeled "deplorable" and black rioters labeled "Hillary supporters" and said something like, "Need I say more?" Sadly, it resonated with at least one person I know (who shared it on Facebook) and I rather imagine it resonated with more people than I would care to believe it possibly could. Since that is the reality of the culture we live in, I think there is still a place for black power fists, marches, and silent protests calling for justice and equal treatment for all. It has to come from the top down and the bottom up, and maybe all the noise about this will ultimately bring some bottom up change. Similar dynamic when Parks sat on the bus, kids sat at lunch counters, kids protested 'nam war, etc. It got people stirred up, talking, sadly sometimes fighting, but it drove positive change in the long run. It is just still playing out and there is more room for this country to improve in race relations.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-16-2016, 01:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured I'd put this here instead of starting a shiny new thread:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rapinoe-kneels-for-anthem-again-ahead-of-u-s-national-team-game-003056979.html

Does the dynamic of playing for a National Team affect anyone's view of whether you should stand or not?

I think representing the country whose national anthem you won't stand for sends a mixed message. 
(09-16-2016, 04:40 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Um ok

Without picking sides, from a purely theoretical standpoint, here's one possible answer:  protests (even if the gov't is not able to do anything directly at the moment), can be at a minimum a method to draw attention to and create a conversation, and possibly bring in more recruits to the cause based on the awareness of the issue that was sparked by the protest.  Now eventually, this can lead to a grassroots movement that can affect societal change in the future.  I will limit my comments to the scope of general discussion of protests.  Sometimes, people's opinions even change opposite of their stance when full awareness occurs.  Obviously to reach this level, the eloquence of the message and its approach are critical, which again varies on the situation.  But even as a general rule, regardless of said eloquence, the basic premise of protesting doesn't change.
I've noticed the same people criticizing Black Lives Matter for violent protests are also critical of "afro bearded" Kapernick (and his supporters) for his nonviolent protest.
(09-16-2016, 05:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Afro bearded?

You forgot to include "uppity."

Lashing out at his ethnicity because you disagree with him underscores the impetus of his protest. 

Good grief, cant even poke a little fun at someones hairdo without it become an ethnic or race thing. Take note folks, dont mention mullets in here either. Might be lashing out at his redneck ethnic background.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

I don't get why someone protests their country because a minority, a small minority, of some of the people in that country may be racist.

The country, the government isn't racist but there are people in this country that are.

Or am I missing something?
(09-16-2016, 03:48 PM)xxlt Wrote: Yeah. Its just a shame. A lot of people think this country used to be so great, and it isn't anymore. And they think it is cool to run around talking about how messed up America is. Some guy is even having rallies all over the country and that is all he talks about - how America is a mess, a real train wreck. It is a shame that a guy like that can disrespect America, shit on the flag, call America a mess, and vow to make it better, or even great again. What a lack of respect.

Trump doesnt have a monopoly on the ass clown business. Just because he is an ass clown doesnt mean Kaepernick and his pig sock wearing disrespectful shitbag self cant be an ass clown too.

Its like someone spitting in my face while asking me to help them. 

Bunch of disrespectful fools.

Doesnt make me think there is a race problem. Makes me think there is a respect problem. Respect for absolutely nothing. Like life for black people. Because the no snitching street code still exists and when eye witnesses see someone get gunned down police still have a problem getting people to cooperate and get murderers off the street. But if there is a police officer involved the video will be on the internet in 5 minutes and everyone will talk about it. Bunch of ass backward nonsense.   
(09-16-2016, 10:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Trump doesnt have a monopoly on the ass clown business. Just because he is an ass clown doesnt mean Kaepernick and his pig sock wearing disrespectful shitbag self cant be an ass clown too.

Doesnt make me think there is a race problem. Makes me think there is a respect problem. Respect for absolutely nothing. Like life for black people. Because the no snitching street code still exists and when eye witnesses see someone get gunned down police still have a problem getting people to cooperate and get murderers off the street. But if there is a police officer involved the video will be on the internet in 5 minutes and everyone will talk about it. Bunch of ass backward nonsense.   

Well articulated, sir.
oncemoreuntothejimbreech
I think representing the country whose national anthem you won't stand for sends a mixed message. 

Agreed.

In America it says, "People will hate me for doing what allegedly makes America such a kick ass place - offering a dissenting opinion without fear of repercussion due to my social and/or political views."

In the rest of the world it says, "Go ahead, kill me now," or, "Someone please help me, I need to defect to a safe country like America (used to be) because I have social and political views that are not aligned with those of my government."
(09-16-2016, 09:30 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I don't get why someone protests their country because a minority, a small minority, of some of the people in that country may be racist.

The country, the government isn't racist but there are people in this country that are.

Or am I missing something?

I think you might be, dude.

I don't think that small minority is as small as you think.

And institutional racism is pretty insidious.

"We swim in it," as one of my favorite teachers used to say.
(09-16-2016, 10:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Trump doesnt have a monopoly on the ass clown business. Just because he is an ass clown doesnt mean Kaepernick and his pig sock wearing disrespectful shitbag self cant be an ass clown too.

You are 100% right!

You can think whatever you want about either one and say it without fear of retribution from the government!

So can Kaepernick.

That's beauty of our country.  That even if we WERE "number one" (we are not) there is always room for people protest for change.  Change can be good.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I wonder if they all love Malcom X and Fidel Castro too? Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(09-16-2016, 02:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Its the lack of respect...

No respect for the country.

I didnt sign up to fight so people can shit on my flag.

Now its the cool thing to do to have zero respect for the country. I bet we will have a productive group of citizens formed from this bullshit. No respect for cops, no respect for the country, and experts at playing the victim card.

The leader of the movement who wore pig socks is helping create a new group who knows nothing about respect. And when black men are responsible for more deaths of other black men than anything, how does shitting on your country help that?
You want respect. But show none. Piss all the way off.

Those who wipe their ass with the flag are not the protesters ... and if this bothers you, it would appear you didn't sign up -- to fight, to protect that flag either.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-

Strange that you have never once used the same level of vitriol to describe Trump and his followers that you use against Keapernick. Wonder why you would treat them so differently?

Hmm

Couldn't have anything anything to do with the "afro beard", could it? 

Rolleyes
(09-20-2016, 09:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Strange that you have never once used the same level of vitriol to describe Trump and his followers that you use against Keapernick. Wonder why you would treat them so differently?

Hmm

Couldn't have anything anything to do with the "afro beard", could it? 

Rolleyes

Wonderful input. I can always count on you to call me a racist whenever i say something about a black person.
(09-21-2016, 01:46 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Wonderful input. I can always count on you to call me a racist whenever i say something about a black person.

And I can always count on you to never actually refute anything I say.

Why is it that you have never directed the same level of hatred toward Trump and his followers for disrespecting the United States as you have toward Kaepernick?
(09-16-2016, 02:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Its the lack of respect...

No respect for the country.

I didnt sign up to fight so people can shit on my flag.

Now its the cool thing to do to have zero respect for the country. I bet we will have a productive group of citizens formed from this bullshit. No respect for cops, no respect for the country, and experts at playing the victim card.

The leader of the movement who wore pig socks is helping create a new group who knows nothing about respect. And when black men are responsible for more deaths of other black men than anything, how does shitting on your country help that?
You want respect. But show none. Piss all the way off.

So when you signed up to fight in the military, you didn't sign up to protect the Constitution? 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]