Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZT is 5-2 in his last 7 games
(10-04-2021, 04:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This post will be deemed "hate" due to the nature of the boards (and the internet in general), but these are valid points. We still won these games, and any wins have to be earned. That said, the true level of this team will be better guaged when we face better teams.

That's a strong word to use. Thankfully, I didn't use it in my description of events.  Wink

I do agree that wins are earned and the team did earn their wins. They had enough presence of mind to spend a draft pick on a good kicker, then to actually keep that kicker when training camp ended.

This weak arse schedule to start the season may be just the what to the football gods deemed the Bengals needed. It is entirely possible that the weak schedule instills some real confidence into this team and leads to a winning record come the end of the season.

At this point though I'll stick with my earlier estimates of 5-8 wins and another losing season. I hope they do better than that, but my head says it's not going to happen.

If the team really does turn the corner they reach 9 wins or more, then I'll officially stop lobbying for Taylor's dismissal and publicly announce that I underestimated Taylor's coaching skill and should have given him more of a chance to show us what he can do.

That said, a 3rd straight losing season means I think he should be gone and replaced with someone who has a history of actually winning. The team has spent the money to put a decent roster in place and it's a shame if it goes to waste with losing seasons.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 07:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That's a strong word to use. Thankfully, I didn't use it in my description of events.  Wink

I do agree that wins are earned and the team did earn their wins. They had enough presence of mind to spend a draft pick on a good kicker, then to actually keep that kicker when training camp ended.

This weak arse schedule to start the season may be just the what to the football gods deemed the Bengals needed. It is entirely possible that the weak schedule instills some real confidence into this team and leads to a winning record come the end of the season.

At this point though I'll stick with my earlier estimates of 5-8 wins and another losing season. I hope they do better than that, but my head says it's not going to happen.

If the team really does turn the corner they reach 9 wins or more, then I'll officially stop lobbying for Taylor's dismissal and publicly announce that I underestimated Taylor's coaching skill and should have given him more of a chance to show us what he can do.

That said, a 3rd straight losing season means I think he should be gone and replaced with someone who has a history of actually winning. The team has spent the money to put a decent roster in place and it's a shame if it goes to waste with losing seasons.

Eh... It not like you've been wrong about him though. First time HCs come in all the time, and win games. For 2 years all we've heard is how close they are, and how they're building something. That's led to fans saying things like "oh he just needs to get his guys"... Coach the guys you have in the meantime. Zac's resume was underwhelming at best when he got here, and he has pretty much lived up to that.

They're winning, so I've stopped talking about them, but I'm with you. Winning record and playoff contention are my expectations to keep these guys around. This is year 3, and the organization has bent over backwards for this staff. Win...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 08:20 PM)jason Wrote: Eh... It not like you've been wrong about him though. First time HCs come in all the time, and win games.  For 2 years all we've heard is how close they are, and how they're building something. That's led to fans saying things like "oh he just needs to get his guys"... Coach the guys you have in the meantime. Zac's resume was underwhelming at best when he got here, and he has pretty much lived up to that.

They're winning, so I've stopped talking about them, but I'm with you. Winning record and playoff contention are my expectations to keep these guys around. This is year 3, and the organization has bent over backwards for this staff. Win...

Yep

I want to see 9 wins, a winning record. The time for excuses is over.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 08:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

I want to see 9 wins, a winning record. The time for excuses is over.

Yep.... There are playmakers on both sides of the ball. Winning record, and that Bengals logo in the "In the Hunt" column toward the end of the year at least.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
7-2. With three different starting QBs.
Reply/Quote
Honestly the team being 3-1 this season is impressive enough for me. Cherry picking a coupla wins from late last season doesn't add much to it... Especially when they got dump trucked in one of those 2 losses.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 08:36 PM)jason Wrote: Yep.... There are playmakers on both sides of the ball. Winning record, and that Bengals logo in the "In the Hunt" column toward the end of the year at least.

This roster, while not a series of elite players, has some very good pieces that should have enough talent to make things happen, even with a poor head coach. Just like you can't blame every bad thing on Taylor, you cannot give him credit for every good thing. He has shown some very poor coaching choices, yet the players still managed to make diamonds out of coal.

5-2 sounds great, and I would take 10-4 all day long, but were playing the teams that we should be beating, and barely won twice. Packers game is against a QB who probably could outcoach him. Rodgers isn't like he used to be, nor are the Packers, but Cincy is not on that level. Next year, there is a chance.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 04:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This post will be deemed "hate" due to the nature of the boards (and the internet in general), but these are valid points. We still won these games, and any wins have to be earned. That said, the true level of this team will be better guaged when we face better teams.

Yes, but to the OPs point, we were losing to these teams the last two years.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 10:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I said it in other threads. ZT and the coaching staff is doing a great job of half time adjustments. This was a major concern in the past, but we are actually better in the second half of games than in the first half so far.

This made me think of another subject....see new thread titled "Starting games"
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 10:53 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If they can figure out what's going on in the first quarter, they may be a playoff team.

I have several issues with ZT as a play caller, but I can't deny that he has this team's support and love and that is a fair amount of the head coach's job. He takes feedback from Joe, he re-works his schemes and he treats his players great.

I just wish we had hired Joe Brady as our OC and had him calling plays...We'd be legitimate playoff contenders with better play calling.
You and Luvnit got me thinking...see new thread: 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 08:20 PM)jason Wrote: Eh... It not like you've been wrong about him though. First time HCs come in all the time, and win games.  For 2 years all we've heard is how close they are, and how they're building something. That's led to fans saying things like "oh he just needs to get his guys"... Coach the guys you have in the meantime. Zac's resume was underwhelming at best when he got here, and he has pretty much lived up to that.

There's a laundry list of excuses for these guys, which is why I've never really given them much credit at all.

If anyone wants them to have full credits for wins they also have to being willing to give them full credits for the losses.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 11:09 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yes, but to the OPs point, we were losing to these teams the last two years.

That's also true. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 09:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dating back to the final three games of last season, ZT is 5-2 in his last 7 games.  That's a 70% winning percentage.  Project that for the next 13 games and you have 9 MORE wins.  I know the schedule will get a lot tougher, but they beat pitt and Houston last year (who had DeShawn) with a roster that was nowhere near as talented as the one they have today.

I still believe that piggsburgh win was the "turning of the tide".  They had a game plan using their limited options on offense, and the defense played with such ferocity.  The Vonn Bell hit may have been the absolute signal point where the team's fortunes turned and he turned JJSS in to a meme.

I know they haven't had the toughest of games yet, but this is EXACTLY what this team needed:  early success.  This young squad is starting to believe they can play with anyone and absolutely believe in their coaches and QB.  

Last night was the first "shakles off" game for Joe and the offense.  The result?  Burrow completed 78% of his passes to 8 different receivers, two TDs, ZERO INTs, and he showed that he and CJ are still a potential threat.  

The defense has kept them in every game and the offense is starting to click.  I'd love to see a better rushing attack, but if teams are going to load the box and stuff the run game, you have to make them pay and Burrow did.  Over 10 YPA is flat getting it done.  

Kudos to the coaches for adjustments and to the team for pulling out a win.  

Who Dey!!!

Who Dey

Yeah, looks like it is starting to come together that is for sure. We have had some tough games that were close but under Zac 
we finally started to win them. Good coaches win the close games. We are being tested early which will help as the season goes
on and hopefully if we make the Playoffs. I really love this Defense with Reader, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Hubbard, Wilson, ADG 
and if our Secondary can get healthy with Bates and the Corners we could be really good.

The Offense I thought would take time, I think they are just scratching the surface and should only get better as long as the 
OL stays somewhat healthy. You can see belief in this team. They are fighters and fighting for each other.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 01:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, looks like it is starting to come together that is for sure. We have had some tough games that were close but under Zac 
we finally started to win them. Good coaches win the close games. We are being tested early which will help as the season goes
on and hopefully if we make the Playoffs. I really love this Defense with Reader, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Hubbard, Wilson, ADG 
and if our Secondary can get healthy with Bates and the Corners we could be really good.

The Offense I thought would take time, I think they are just scratching the surface and should only get better as long as the 
OL stays somewhat healthy. You can see belief in this team. They are fighters and fighting for each other.

Dead on.  I absolutely love this team.  They may not be the most talented that we have ever seen here, but they have a relentless nature.  

As disappointed as I was about the defensive line looking flat against Jax in the first half, I felt stupid when it was pointed out that on a short week, they were coming off 79 snaps (!) against pitt in a physical game.  The fact they rose in the second half is pretty amazing.  

This Green Bay game will be a great test.  I feel like they are playing with house money and they have 10 days to rest and prepare.  

The fact that the offense seemed to kind of start really clicking in the second half gives me a lot of hope that they will continue rolling throughout the season.  
Reply/Quote
What's his record over his last 36 games?

I'm all for being optimistic, but let's be real for a minute.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 11:42 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: What's his record over his last 36 games?

I'm all for being optimistic, but let's be real for a minute.

All I know is that since he got his roster of his guys (and yes, they spent some on Free Agency, but it isn't like they brought in Clowny, Golladay, and Thuney) that he has been using his rookie draft picks and has shown great development in his draft picks from a year ago.  

If you want to be real, look at what he has built, not what he was handed.  
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 11:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on.  I absolutely love this team.  They may not be the most talented that we have ever seen here, but they have a relentless nature.  

As disappointed as I was about the defensive line looking flat against Jax in the first half, I felt stupid when it was pointed out that on a short week, they were coming off 79 snaps (!) against pitt in a physical game.  The fact they rose in the second half is pretty amazing.  

This Green Bay game will be a great test.  I feel like they are playing with house money and they have 10 days to rest and prepare.  

The fact that the offense seemed to kind of start really clicking in the second half gives me a lot of hope that they will continue rolling throughout the season.  

What matters is how you finish honestly and seeing that fight in the 2nd half was inspiring as heck on both sides of the ball last
week. I see a team that will not give up, these are the teams that can win it all.

Honestly, we could have an edge in this mini bye week and being at Home. Should be a great game against Green Bay regardless
of who wins the game. Will probably be the team with the ball last who wins. I also love how our guys specifically Logan Wilson 
just are always around the ball and if we can get a few turnovers and not turn the ball over ourselves we could be 4-1 and 
undefeated in the Jungle.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 11:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: All I know is that since he got his roster of his guys (and yes, they spent some on Free Agency, but it isn't like they brought in Clowny, Golladay, and Thuney) that he has been using his rookie draft picks and has shown great development in his draft picks from a year ago.  

If you want to be real, look at what he has built, not what he was handed.  

Nah, I'll just look at his entire body of work.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What matters is how you finish honestly and seeing that fight in the 2nd half was inspiring as heck on both sides of the ball last
week. I see a team that will not give up, these are the teams that can win it all.

Honestly, we could have an edge in this mini bye week and being at Home. Should be a great game against Green Bay regardless
of who wins the game. Will probably be the team with the ball last who wins. I also love how our guys specifically Logan Wilson 
just are always around the ball and if we can get a few turnovers and not turn the ball over ourselves we could be 4-1 and 
undefeated in the Jungle.

YEP!  That's how you get to 10 wins.  Win every home game and steal a few on the road.  Already stole one from Piggy and the Boys.  
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 01:44 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Nah, I'll just look at his entire body of work.

Is that how you buy stocks?  Don't look at trends or business analytics, just see that some companies have an average overall body of work?  

And please consider that the overall body of work includes building this roster and moving on from overpaid veterans, which is sure to sacrifice your record in the short term, but will help build a strong future.  
Reply/Quote