Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Has Extremely High Confidence in His Coaches
(12-31-2020, 06:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I disagree about a couple.

Jonah Williams - Was the Bengals' best pass protector. I think people are being overly critical of him because they expect/want him to be a Top 15 guy right out of the gate.

Germaine Pratt - He's greatly improved his pass coverage the past 1-2 months. He's just really, really bad defending the run. The Bengals don't really have a LB who is good against the run.

I would say out of the 17 draft picks Zac Taylor's crew have been involved with, they've "nailed" 3 of them so far - Jonah, Burrow, and Higgins.
Wilson and Pratt have shown improvement this season, but I don't think either are starter-worthy yet in an ideal situation.
Adeniji looks ok for a backup but I would not want him to start.
Sample is a good blocker, but more to be desired as a pass catcher.
Jordan and Finley have probably the most glaring "bad" picks.

I would agree with most of that assessment.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, what's he going to say? He will publicly praise them while the front office hands out the pink slips. I think Turner and Eason are the fall guys.

Honestly, it's hard to fault Eason for much. The Dline has performed better than we could have expected, given the injuries (including Geno's shoulder). Covington is a definite keeper. Bledsoe's had some moments. I don't see bad coaching as an issue there. I know the new scheme frustrated Carlos and probably Geno, but that's not on Eason. Is it? That's on Lou (and Zac). 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 05:45 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Honestly, it's hard to fault Eason for much. The Dline has performed better than we could have expected, given the injuries (including Geno's shoulder). Covington is a definite keeper. Bledsoe's had some moments. I don't see bad coaching as an issue there. I know the new scheme frustrated Carlos and probably Geno, but that's not on Eason. Is it? That's on Lou (and Zac). 

If by moments, you mean completely terrible ones... Tongue

I do somewhat like Covington and Daniels though. But no one on that DL has been particularly good other than Lawson and Hubbard.

Reply/Quote
If Zac has high confidence and his coaches and coordinators this gives me low confidence in Zac. The man is excellent behind a microphone but when it comes to identifying coaching talent he is sorely lacking.

Let’s take the defense as an example. Only against the temporarily weak Steelers did they look even close to average. The defense should play physically and fast whether an opposing player disrespects the logo on the 50 yard line or not. Execution should not depend on emotion.

The Front Office should be texting and emailing and calling Dan Quinn and Wade Phillips.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 08:22 AM)pally Wrote: The challenge that the team will have is replacing anyone let go.  Zac will be in the last year of his contract and will rightly be perceived as going into next season on a blazing hot seat.  Any coach with other options would be very reluctant to connect his fate with Zac’s.

That is a good point, and one that's been touched upon several times in various threads lately.  I have a feeling that the Bengals must be having some behind the scenes communications with some coaching candidates.  Why else would there be leaks from "league sources" that "At least one assistant to be replaced" and now "multiple assistants to be replaced"?

It was pretty obvious that when they parted ways with Marvin Lewis that they went into the coaching search blind, having no one specific in mind, or even any coordinators lined up.  Perhaps the front office learned a little something from that train wreck of a coaching change?  I'm not holding my breath that the front office has had some great epiphany, but I'm hoping that they are starting to see the light.

Now, I find it interesting that the unnamed sources have now expanded from claiming "at least one" coach to be replaced to now "multiple assistants".  If there is any real truth to these rumors, it leads me to believe that they are canning a coordinator, have already spoken to their preferred candidate, and he has expressed that he wants to bring his own position coaches.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a good point, and one that's been touched upon several times in various threads lately.  I have a feeling that the Bengals must be having some behind the scenes communications with some coaching candidates.  Why else would there be leaks from "league sources" that "At least one assistant to be replaced" and now "multiple assistants to be replaced"?

It was pretty obvious that when they parted ways with Marvin Lewis that they went into the coaching search blind, having no one specific in mind, or even any coordinators lined up.  Perhaps the front office learned a little something from that train wreck of a coaching change?  I'm not holding my breath that the front office has had some great epiphany, but I'm hoping that they are starting to see the light.

Now, I find it interesting that the unnamed sources have now expanded from claiming "at least one" coach to be replaced to now "multiple assistants".  If there is any real truth to these rumors, it leads me to believe that they are canning a coordinator, have already spoken to their preferred candidate, and he has expressed that he wants to bring his own position coaches.

I just made that exact point in another thread.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/zac-taylor-praises-coaching-staff

Well if its up to Zac you wont be seeing any changes this offseason. Let's hope at least the front office has the smarts to can Turner. I'll be happy if Turner and Lou are gone after this week but thats asking too much in the land of Cincinnati.

Just another reason Taylor needs to go.

Reply/Quote
What else is he going to say. Not going to throw anyone under the bus with one game left.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wilson - Barely sees the field with poor starters in front of him. Has some potential. I don't know why he doesn't play more.

You keep pushing this narrative but as I've previously pointed out the reason he's not currently playing is that he's injured. His role increased after the first 3 weeks and from there onwards he was playing more than half the snaps until he was injured. For a third round rookie he's on (if not ahead of) schedule.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, what's he going to say? He will publicly praise them while the front office hands out the pink slips. I think Turner and Eason are the fall guys.

He could admit changes need to be made without mentioning names, and say he needs to improve as well. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Bump

LMAO

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bump

LMAO

Yup

I was just thinking about this. He went to bat for these guys. That means he is ok with the results they have produced. That means he is part of the problem. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think Eason has done well with his makeshift dline. The young players are still progressing and flashing (Khahil,Lawson,Hubbard), the fresh of the couch dt's have made themselves at home.

Even Hunt looks like a probowler!

I'd think if Lou stays all coaches are pretty safe. Even Turner, who's lines need to gel early in the season, like they have at the end of the last two seasons.

Zimmer being fired is the only thing looking to shake things up around here.

eason taking the fall on D probly means Luo sticks with ZT... that and finding a upgrade that will come here on a potential 1 year rental will be hard.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 04:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: eason taking the fall on D probly means Luo sticks with ZT... that and finding a upgrade that will come here on a potential 1 year rental will be hard.

If that happens, and after these past two seasons the big shakeup is a change of OL and DL coaches, we're more screwed than I think any of us even suspected.  
Reply/Quote
I'm glad they are forcing ZT's hand on this. I hope he learns from it and grows. ZT, as goofy as he can be has actually shown some ability to learn and adapt. Just have to hope he finds a legit OL coach at this point, and gives that coach some better players.
Reply/Quote
Zac should be on the phone right now with Doug Marrone, trying to talk him into taking over the OL.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 04:52 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm glad they are forcing ZT's hand on this. I hope he learns from it and grows. ZT, as goofy as he can be has actually shown some ability to learn and adapt. Just have to hope he finds a legit OL coach at this point, and gives that coach some better players.

are they really forcing his hand if they are letting him pick the coaches again?  he picked the last ones chose not to upgrade after year 1... And now gets to find some more buddies looking for work?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 05:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Zac should be on the phone right now with Doug Marrone, trying to talk him into taking over the OL.

Your giving him to much credit buddy!
Reply/Quote
By "extremely high confidence" he must mean the kind of confidence you have when you are extremely high.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yup

I was just thinking about this. He went to bat for these guys. That means he is ok with the results they have produced. That means he is part of the problem. 

Or the decision had already been taken and he didn't want to kick a man whilst he was down.

It is the head coach's job to defend the staff until they are no longer employed by the Bengals. And then when they are no longer employed basic etiquette is not to bad mouth your former staff in public. 
Reply/Quote