Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor: Bengals' wide receivers 'got bullied' in loss to Pats
(12-15-2019, 11:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Auden Tate being injured hurt us. Tate and Boyd both being out there changes things a lot. That said, this loss was on Dalton and no amount of excuses will change that. He’s a 9 year veteran QB, not some rookie. He was terrible today.

Be careful. General opinion in the Auden Tate thread when he went down was that he wasn't much better than standing a tackling dummy out there.

Many attempts to statistically prove we'd be better off taking him out back and shooting him.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:07 AM)Synric Wrote: No he couldn't.

Andy read 1 vs 1 with his best receiver running an out from the slot. That was a great read and pick from Stephon Gilmore using off man coverage.

Edit: Lol bfine remember from the mothership you wanted Jenkins I wanted Gilmore we ended up with Kirkpatrick...

I liked JJ over Dre, but my fav in that draft was Casey Hayward. We could have had him instead of Devon Still. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
End of the day Andy is a trash QB and Taylor is a joke of a head coach
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's EXACTLY what I'd do.

Yeah the NE DB's knowing the routes has been on Twitter too. I think it's insinuating that the offense is predictable.

Yeah, I'd be down with that.  I'm torn between receiver and OL in 2.  I'd like to protect Burrow if he ends up being a Bengal.  What's more, I'd be really interested to see what Mixon would do behind some legit offensive linemen instead of a bunch of retreads.  Getting Joe M. going consistently will help protect Joe B more than anything.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I liked JJ over Dre, but my fav in that draft was Casey Hayward. We could have had him instead of Devon Still. 

Hayward I forgot that mine was Flemming day 2 lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 11:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Man...I agree that a healthy AJ would be great with Burrow, but what are the odds that we get 13+ games from Green?

I think a decision needs made on Eifert too. He was healthy this year, but he didn't look like his normal self.

Would they tag AJ? $17 million seems like A LOT...but they might like the 1 year deal aspect.

Ehh...I can't see AJ staying here on a 1 year deal unless we really overpay, because he's either going to want a longer deal to stay here or he can take a 1-year deal with more competitive franchises.  Things could get ugly(er) if he doesn't want to be here and we tag him.

We are the flat-out worst team in the league right now, so why would be take a short-term deal to be here unless the rest of the NFL says no thanks?  Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:34 AM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, I'd be down with that.  I'm torn between receiver and OL in 2.  I'd like to protect Burrow if he ends up being a Bengal.  What's more, I'd be really interested to see what Mixon would do behind some legit offensive linemen instead of a bunch of retreads.  Getting Joe M. going consistently will help protect Joe B more than anything.

Indeed. aka We have more holes than draft picks.

I wonder if we'd be more likely to sign a WR or OLineman in free agency?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. aka We have more holes than draft picks.

I'd still be real surprised to see them break character.  If they add a free agent WR, I think his name is AJ Green.  That would likely mean offensive line in 2.  

I'm of the thinking that you try to keep Glenn on board if his mind is right, start him at LT an Jonah at RT in 2020, and add a stud at G in round 2.  They can still feast on the WR talent in this draft when round 3 starts.  

If they add in FA, I see it being at the relatively cheap linebacker position, which shouldn't be that difficult to upgrade given the level of play there this year.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I liked JJ over Dre, but my fav in that draft was Casey Hayward. We could have had him instead of Devon Still. 

At least that bust came with a feel-good story as a consolation prize.  The rest?  Not so much.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. aka We have more holes than draft picks.

There will always be holes no roster is perfect. The Bengals are lacking playmakers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:59 AM)Synric Wrote: There will always be holes no roster is perfect. The Bengals are lacking playmakers.

We lack good o-linemen, too.  Cleveland brought in an embarrassment of playmakers for their young quarterback.  It's been all for nothing due to their garbage o-line play. The Steelers are clawing their way into the playoffs without any of the usual suspects at skill positions on offense because of their o-line.

The Bengals need to get better players up front, too.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:51 AM)samhain Wrote: I'd still be real surprised to see them break character.  If they add a free agent WR, I think his name is AJ Green.  That would likely mean offensive line in 2.  

I'm of the thinking that you try to keep Glenn on board if his mind is right, start him at LT an Jonah at RT in 2020, and add a stud at G in round 2.  They can still feast on the WR talent in this draft when round 3 starts.  

If they add in FA, I see it being at the relatively cheap linebacker position, which shouldn't be that difficult to upgrade given the level of play there this year.  

I really like the idea of Glenn at LT and Jonah at RT...and I think it eases Jonah into the NFL. But, for some reason...the Bengals never entertained that idea. Seems Hart at RT was always the plan.

And, it's generally easier to find Guards in free agency than Tackles.

Man, I'd love to have AJ back IF you could guarantee me he plays 13+ games. But, he likely won't. Or odds say he won't. It's risky.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I really like the idea of Glenn at LT and Jonah at RT...and I think it eases Jonah into the NFL. But, for some reason...the Bengals never entertained that idea. Seems Hart at RT was always the plan.

And, it's generally easier to find Guards in free agency than Tackles.

Man, I'd love to have AJ back IF you could guarantee me he plays 13+ games. But, he likely won't. Or odds say he won't. It's risky.

None of what you say is wrong here, I just don't see them acquiring meaningful talent in free agency.  The likelihood is just poor.  Knowing that, I'm trying to see what they have in-house to bridge the gap between now and whenever they have the chance to upgrade in the draft.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals, without A.J. Green, have a bottom 5 receiving corps. Boyd is a decent WR2. Ross, if healthy and used correctly, is an okay WR3. The rest are uninspiring, and were late round/UDFA’s for a reason. Tate has good ball skills, but gets zero separation. Morgan is a rookie better left on a practice squad. Alex is a WR5 at best. Combine those guys with Bad Andy and Zac’s dumpster fire passing game and you get the Bengals putrid passing game of 2019. The team would do well to add a WR in the 3rd or 4th round next year. Jettisoning Hart for an upgrade would also help.

At the end of the day, Zac seems to like to pass blame in the media, but he has not earned the right. This guy ain’t Parcells, and hasn’t done much of not prior to getting the job other than being on McVay’s staff.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:09 AM)samhain Wrote: We lack good o-linemen, too.  Cleveland brought in an embarrassment of playmakers for their young quarterback.  It's been all for nothing due to their garbage o-line play.  The Steelers are clawing their way into the playoffs without any of the usual suspects at skill positions on offense because of their o-line.

The Browns also made a guy who is woefully unprepared to be a HC their HC and he clearly buys right into their pain-in-the-arse image.  If the Browns actually hire a real HC and go into 2020 without the distracting hype they may have a chance to right the ship.  But yeah, their o-line needs work, too.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:09 AM)samhain Wrote: We lack good o-linemen, too.  Cleveland brought in an embarrassment of playmakers for their young quarterback.  It's been all for nothing due to their garbage o-line play. The Steelers are clawing their way into the playoffs without any of the usual suspects at skill positions on offense because of their o-line.

Steelers just lost because they could only put up 10 points. They need playmakers...

And I’d credit their defense more than their OL.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:14 AM)R3stangs Wrote: Be careful. General opinion in the Auden Tate thread when he went down was that he wasn't much better than standing a tackling dummy out there.

Many attempts to statistically prove we'd be better off taking him out back and shooting him.

2nd on the team in receiving Yds with 575 in only 12 games, not sure how anyone could say he sucks...

Obviously not a world beater, but he’s a solid WR. Way better than anyone we had out there today not named Tyler Boyd.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Steelers just lost because they could only put up 10 points. They need playmakers...

And I’d credit their defense more than their OL.

That and the previous Kitchens observation are valid.  I still doubt they get to their unlikely record without that o-line.  

Upgrade the o-line and let Mixon finally have some guys that can dominate for him.  This will make Burrow's first year a lot less painful.  It's also what the offense that Taylor made his "name" in did to open up play action. I'm pretty sure Zac isn't going anywhere in 2020.
Reply/Quote
This is the 2nd week in a row Taylor has thrown his players under the bus.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 02:06 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: This is the 2nd week in a row Taylor has thrown his players under the bus.

He’s a hack.

Reply/Quote