Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor Extended
Charlie Weis said that once we got lead we should have ran in max protect sets. He thinks we may have won and grinded the clock out.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Charlie Weis said that once we got lead we should have ran in max protect sets. He thinks we may have won and grinded the clock out.

Same.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Same.

They went heavy one play and just mauled LA, and I don’t know if they did that again after that play.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Charlie Weis said that once we got lead we should have ran in max protect sets. He thinks we may have won and grinded the clock out.

He was right. 2nd to last drive 1 st two runs were max protect. 18 yards gained. Then what happened? Not used again

The last 4th and 1 they go shotgun. Makes no sense when you have already Proven what works. There is just no explanation
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:36 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: He was right. 2nd to last drive 1 st two runs were max protect. 18 yards gained. Then what happened? Not used again

The last 4th and 1 they go shotgun. Makes no sense when you have already Proven what works. There is just no explanation

How do you run from max protect? That's a term used for pass blocking, not run blocking. And here I was thinking you were offering X's and O's improvements to an NFL coach. SHOOT. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:36 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: He was right. 2nd to last drive 1 st two runs were max protect. 18 yards gained. Then what happened? Not used again

The delayed draw worked so well.
Reply/Quote
I feel like a TE screen where he blocked initially then slipped out would have worked so well.

Oh well...we could What if this for the next year and it won't change the outcome.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:41 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: How do you run from max protect? That's a term used for pass blocking, not run blocking. And here I was thinking you were offering X's and O's improvements to an NFL coach. SHOOT. 

Its pretty simple you hand to runningback. Its a set with an extra T in the game it can be either run or pass.
Reply/Quote
Well earned extension, he may still have some growing/development to go, but he's brought the team a long way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:44 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Its pretty simple you hand to runningback. Its a set with an extra T in the game it can be either run or pass.

No, it's not. Max protect is a pass protection set. It has nothing to do with running. A heavy set != max protect. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No, it's not. Max protect is a pass protection set. It has nothing to do with running. A heavy set != max protect. 

Max protect is a formation not a play. You can run/pass out of it. Just like you can run/pass out of a shotgun.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:44 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Its pretty simple you hand to runningback. Its a set with an extra T in the game it can be either run or pass.

No…Max protect is a term for pass protection. An extra tackle is simply jumbo set.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:54 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Max protect is a formation not a play. You can run/pass out of it. Just like you can run/pass out of a shotgun.

Max protect is not a formation. It is a term used to describe the amount of protection a QB receives when dropping back to pass - it is a pass protection set. Here are a few links.

https://www.sportslingo.com/sports-glossary/m/max-protect/

https://fourvertsfootball.com/what-is-max-protection-in-football/
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:54 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Max protect is a formation not a play. You can run/pass out of it. Just like you can run/pass out of a shotgun.

No…it’s not. Max protect is a 7/8 man protection from any personnel.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That was quick. Hopefully Zac is the guy.

I predict he does better after getting to Super Bowl than Gregg or Wyche did 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I predict he does better after getting to Super Bowl than Gregg or Wyche did 

wyches personality got him fired as much as anything. Within 2 years of the super bowl he had publicly called out the the leagues refs as biased, thrown a woman out of the locker room, insulted the people of another city on national Tv..and called an opposing coach a “complete
Embarrassment” after a game. Was he like this before the superbowl? Maybe he just went loco from the loss

For better or worse Taylor seems more grounded
Reply/Quote
Taylor made a believer out of me this season. He beat coaches like Reid, Tomlin, and Harbaugh multiple times. He’s doing something right.

Now he just needs to figure out how to beat Cleveland and we can rule this division for years to come.

Reply/Quote
Ppl forget Zac was basically a rookie HC. Having Brandon Allen for 8 games don’t even count man like cmon.

The first year we have even an average o line and a Burrow healthy that’s the year I’m judging Zac Taylor without any holding back

So hopefully that’s next year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Taylor also touched on:
_Injuries: Quarterback Joe Burrow won't need surgery on his dislocated throwing pinky or his sprained MCL in his right knee. He also doesn't think tight end C.J. Uzomah needs surgery on his sprained MCL after playing 80 percent of the snaps in the Super Bowl.
"That's a four-to-eight week injury,' Taylor said. "The fact he came back from it in two speaks to his toughness and character."
_ On Burrow getting sacked 70 times between the regular season and postseason: "We just have to be better as a unit … I think that we'll just look to improve the team any way that we can and not specific to one necessary group. The offensive line helped us get to the Super Bowl. They gave us opportunities to go win the Super Bowl. Everything always falls on them statistically, but that's not always the case. There are play calls that could be better to help put them in a better position. There is a lot that plays into all that. They were an offensive line that helped us get to the Super Bowl and gave us opportunities to win and I think they should be commended for that."
_On Samaje Perine carrying the ball on third-and one in the last drive and not Joe Mixon:
"We were in 2-minute mode and Samaje has done a great job. His role has really been as a protecting back and a lot of the things that come with that, off of that. It's one of those situations where I called the play a little later on the clock. And so, I was the one that said leave him in there. Justin Hill, our running backs coach, asked if we wanted to make a change. I said, just leave Samaje in there.
"Obviously, it didn't work out for us. Whether Joe is in there or not, he's certainly deserving of the opportunity in a key moment in a key game to try to get it for us as our featured back. But again, that's just one of the decisions you make in the moment and you've got to move forward with it. There's other things I certainly could have done over the course of the game that would have put us in a better position. Unfortunately, we couldn't get it done."
_On re-signing free safety Jessie Bates III: "He's a big part of what we do. We're really proud of how he's led this team and how he's played for us, really over the last four years. Those are conversations that will always be ongoing. I think everyone knows we want Jessie to be a part of this, and we'll just continue to work through those discussions."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Taylor also touched on:
_Injuries: Quarterback Joe Burrow won't need surgery on his dislocated throwing pinky or his sprained MCL in his right knee. He also doesn't think tight end C.J. Uzomah needs surgery on his sprained MCL after playing 80 percent of the snaps in the Super Bowl.
"That's a four-to-eight week injury,' Taylor said. "The fact he came back from it in two speaks to his toughness and character."
_ On Burrow getting sacked 70 times between the regular season and postseason: "We just have to be better as a unit … I think that we'll just look to improve the team any way that we can and not specific to one necessary group. The offensive line helped us get to the Super Bowl. They gave us opportunities to go win the Super Bowl. Everything always falls on them statistically, but that's not always the case. There are play calls that could be better to help put them in a better position. There is a lot that plays into all that. They were an offensive line that helped us get to the Super Bowl and gave us opportunities to win and I think they should be commended for that."
_On Samaje Perine carrying the ball on third-and one in the last drive and not Joe Mixon:
"We were in 2-minute mode and Samaje has done a great job. His role has really been as a protecting back and a lot of the things that come with that, off of that. It's one of those situations where I called the play a little later on the clock. And so, I was the one that said leave him in there. Justin Hill, our running backs coach, asked if we wanted to make a change. I said, just leave Samaje in there.
"Obviously, it didn't work out for us. Whether Joe is in there or not, he's certainly deserving of the opportunity in a key moment in a key game to try to get it for us as our featured back. But again, that's just one of the decisions you make in the moment and you've got to move forward with it. There's other things I certainly could have done over the course of the game that would have put us in a better position. Unfortunately, we couldn't get it done."
_On re-signing free safety Jessie Bates III: "He's a big part of what we do. We're really proud of how he's led this team and how he's played for us, really over the last four years. Those are conversations that will always be ongoing. I think everyone knows we want Jessie to be a part of this, and we'll just continue to work through those discussions."

On the Perine thing, I saw Mixon's pass blocking grade and it was horrible. Like worse than our lineman horrible. So that's likely why they had Perine in. Not sayin it was great, but that's why.
Reply/Quote