Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor Extended
(02-16-2022, 11:49 AM)Au165 Wrote: He is now. The good thing though is it does create stability and stability usually helps with attracting things like Free Agents, but also high end coaches which we will need as we lose some in the coming years. 

Yes, this had to be done. It sets up a great foundation as long as we take care of the OL in Free Agency.

Lots of players will want to come here but we need the OL here first and foremost.

Great news with Zac's extension, expecting more extensions for coaches like Lou and Hobby soon.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Taylor also touched on:

_On Samaje Perine carrying the ball on third-and one in the last drive and not Joe Mixon:
"We were in 2-minute mode and Samaje has done a great job. His role has really been as a protecting back and a lot of the things that come with that, off of that. It's one of those situations where I called the play a little later on the clock. And so, I was the one that said leave him in there. Justin Hill, our running backs coach, asked if we wanted to make a change. I said, just leave Samaje in there.
"Obviously, it didn't work out for us. Whether Joe is in there or not, he's certainly deserving of the opportunity in a key moment in a key game to try to get it for us as our featured back. But again, that's just one of the decisions you make in the moment and you've got to move forward with it. There's other things I certainly could have done over the course of the game that would have put us in a better position. Unfortunately, we couldn't get it done."

This not even some shit you admit in public. That you basically shrugged off you coach who obviously wanted a change because of he was confident in Perine he wouldn’t even have asked
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:52 PM)Housh Wrote: This not even some shit you admit in public. That you basically shrugged off you coach who obviously wanted a change because of he was confident in Perine he wouldn’t even have asked

Sure isn't egotistical though. I am sure many coaches wouldn't admit to that. In a way you can admire the honesty.

But DAMN, it was the wrong decision and he knows it! Zac needs to be kicking himself for a lot of things, especially not using 
rollouts, screens, dump offs against the team that struggles against these calls more than anyone. We would of won this game
easily if we used these types of play calls often, bet on it.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, this had to be done. It sets up a great foundation as long as we take care of the OL in Free Agency.

Lots of players will want to come here but we need the OL here first and foremost.

Great news with Zac's extension, expecting more extensions for coaches like Lou and Hobby soon.

It’s to protect his running back coach and making sure he’s blamed. It’s called class.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure isn't egotistical though. I am sure many coaches wouldn't admit to that. In a way you can admire the honesty.

But DAMN, it was the wrong decision and he knows it! Zac needs to be kicking himself for a lot of things, especially not using 
rollouts, screens, dump offs against the team that struggles against these calls more than anyone. We would of won this game

Rams dl is very talented but part of their and Donald’s success is because they commit themselves early and often and over pursue.

Look at their stats against screens. That is a clear sign of a defense that over commits. I agree 2-3 screens gets you at least 1-2 more field goal attempts

2 weeks ago a dump to perrine got them 48. I mean come on what film of the rams did Taylor and Callahan look at for the last 2 weeks?
Reply/Quote
I think it's good just because I don't think that he has been the best coach here and has made some questionable calls (going for it on 4th on our opening drive in the Super Bowl, running Perine from the shotgun on 3rd down on our final drive), but he did bring a winning culture, players seem to like him, it gives us stability, and hopefully, as others have said, it attracts free agents.

Hopefully reaching the Super Bowl gets him even more freedom and power from Mike Brown and we can get a few Lombardis here under Zac!

I just hope that Mike Brown does give him what he needs to succeed.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:09 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It’s to protect his running back coach and making sure he’s blamed. It’s called class.

Yeah, Zac is a good dude.

(02-16-2022, 03:20 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Rams dl is very talented but part of their and Donald’s success is  because they commit themselves early and often and over pursue.

Look at their stats against screens. That is a clear sign of a defense that over commits. I agree 2-3 screens gets you at least 1-2 more field goal attempts

2 weeks ago a dump to perrine got them 48. I mean come on what film of the rams did Taylor and Callahan look at for the last 2 weeks?

Well said, I honestly don't know what they were looking at. Was my game plan day one after knowing who we were playing
in the Super Bowl. Take away what they are good at and use their aggressiveness against them. Amazing we even had a chance
in that game the way we went about it. Let alone we were one play from winning. Kind of mind blowing.

I am sure Taylor and Callahan will learn from this and I am sure we will shore up the OL and the obvious weakness.

Just frustrating looking at that game plan and wondering how Taylor and Callahan thought that was the best way to attack the Rams.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: It really is interesting because as much as the players keep telling us it is Zac fans keep saying they know better. There are plenty of ways to talk about success and not give your coach a ton of credit without being a dick or risking your job, all the players go out of their way to specifically praise him. 

Zac is the new Andy Dalton for some fans....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We really need Lou to stay too.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I know it's a simple point and perhaps I've overlooked such conversation on this forum, but I can't recall enough emphasis being placed on the OL also being a detriment to Coach Taylor. I recall many posts that suggest Zac should give up play calling, but maybe some wouldn't think it if an improved OL also elevated Zac's play calling. It's not just Burrow suffering from poor OL play I suppose is my "Aha" moment of the day. I'm probably late to the game in thinking about this. 

It was brought up a few times last year, I know I did, but it got dismissed as "excuses".

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Amazing we even had a chance
in that game the way we went about it. Let alone we were one play from winning. Kind of mind blowing.

That hit the nail on the head why this is so frustrating. The two plays they did that exploited the rams over pursuing (Mixons pass) and burrows play action scored touchdowns.

90 percent of everything else was shotgun that was like dinner on a plate for Donald.

I mean with a half decent strategy of attacking the rams defense do we win by 10?

At this point I almost wish Beckham didn’t get hurt and they got blown out

This is bordering on insanity to do so much wrong offensively and be that close that a championship.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes you game plan in the Super Bowl how you think the other team will defend you and instead they stick with what got them there. Likewise offensively it’s good to go with what you do best. The last play was really the whole season story. They should have double teamed Donald. If the guard just engages him at all with his outside rush Burrow immediately steps up and completes it to Higgins. We got some lucky breaks through the playoffs and the end of season run. Boyd was held on the play. But really just some engagement on Donald and we get the first down. There just wasn’t much. I’m sure he was going to give his best effort in the whole game right there. Double team him.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: No…Max protect is a term for pass protection. An extra tackle is simply jumbo set.

Right? Wtf? And these guys are questioning a head coach in the NFL? Shit, we learned that in pee wee!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure isn't egotistical though. I am sure many coaches wouldn't admit to that. In a way you can admire the honesty.

Yeah, the Rams were dropping everyone deep into coverage because they knew we wouldn't dump it off and their defensive line was too good to allow Burrow to have enough time to for anyone to get open.

I remember so many times that Mixon slipped through the line and was just standing in the middle of the field wide open. 

Call a dump off, even without the screen, and Mixon still would have gained 7 to 10 yards. If you call a screen (not like the lineman were blocking the defensive linemen anyways), and Mixon had lead blockers, he could have done A LOT OF DAMAGE!

I started an entire thread on needing more rollouts!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:37 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: That hit the nail on the head why this is so frustrating. The two plays they did that exploited the rams over pursuing (Mixons pass) and burrows play action scored touchdowns.

90 percent of everything else was shotgun that was like dinner on a plate for Donald.

I mean with a half decent strategy of attacking the rams defense do we win by 10?

At this point I almost wish Beckham didn’t get hurt and they got blown out

This is bordering on insanity to do so much wrong offensively and be that close that a championship.

No shit man, just insane. I don't know what else to say. 

Just wild to still be that close with all we could of done to make it not close in our favor.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure isn't egotistical though. I am sure many coaches wouldn't admit to that. In a way you can admire the honesty.

He said he called the play late on the clock, which suggests he'd probably have to burn a timeout. I was pretty excited at that point and don't remember, did we have any left?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: He said he called the play late on the clock, which suggests he'd probably have to burn a timeout. I was pretty excited at that point and don't remember, did we have any left?

Gonna have to re-watch that part again. I am gonna re-watch it on Gamepass anyways probably lots of times.

I was so excited at the time myself, thought we were going to pull it off. It was only afterwards when I went back and looked
at what plays were called and at what times when other calls would of been more appropriate that I realized how bad the 
game plan was. I mean, we still were one play away from winning this game. Shows how talented our team is.

Just need to get the OL on par with the rest of the team and look out.
Reply/Quote
After many...many...many years of dreading coach contract extensions, it feels weird to be relieved by one.

Congrats to coach Taylor and family.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Very glad to have Zac extended. I wish someone would convince him to almost entirely ditch the shotgun formation on 3rd or 4th downs and 1 or less. The RB is essentially motionless when receiving the handoff in that formation, as opposed to having some forward momentum when receiving the handoff from a QB under center. That becomes even more consequential when your line is unable to hold a block for any significant time. Plus, it effectively eliminates the chance of a QB sneak, which allows the defense to not bunch up the middle- thereby potentially exposing themselves to something outside.
Reply/Quote
Bet he got a nice raise. He was the lowest paid HC. Congrats ZT!!
Reply/Quote