Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor needs to go
(10-11-2020, 09:21 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Honest question there has to be plays out there that can work with a crap O-Line???

Not consistently, no. But you're calling the line bad.... it's actually much worse than bad. If I had played on a unit this bad way back when, I would be EMBARRASSED. As in I wouldn't want to show my face embarrassed. I actually think some high school units I played on/against could fare better. Hell, I know some college units would. They're historically bad dude. Without Burrow being able to evade like he does, it would be much worse than it is.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:27 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The Ravens were sending delayed blitzes all game and Taylor never adjusted Taylor got out coached and keeps pissing off more players as well. Yes the line is bad but it wasnt as bad as the Ravens made them look. My real fear is other teams will watch this tape and Taylor wont have the ability to adjust and we just continue to look this awful week after week.

Nah, they're that bad. They have been getting worse and worse the past 5 years really. That unit deep sixed Marvin too. Them and poor defense.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not consistently, no. But you're calling the line bad.... it's actually much worse than bad. If I had played on a unit this bad way back when, I would be EMBARRASSED. As in I wouldn't want to show my face embarrassed. I actually think some high school units I played on/against could fare better. Hell, I know some college units would. They're historically bad dude. Without Burrow being able to evade like he does, it would be much worse than it is.

You get it.  Wink

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not consistently, no. But you're calling the line bad.... it's actually much worse than bad. If I had played on a unit this bad way back when, I would be EMBARRASSED. As in I wouldn't want to show my face embarrassed. I actually think some high school units I played on/against could fare better. Hell, I know some college units would. They're historically bad dude. Without Burrow being able to evade like he does, it would be much worse than it is.

I know they are crap but don't want to cuss up the storm on here.

I was just curious if this was fixable by play calling or we are screwed until we either draft or bring someone in though FA
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:21 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Honest question there has to be plays out there that can work with a crap O-Line???

The only precedent is 2009.  In 2008 the line got Palmer killed.  In 2009 they did not get better players (except maybe Cook over Gutcheck), but they added an extra lineman and got a downhill runner with a real chip on his shoulder.  They also simplified the offense dramatically.  What they did not do is let Palmer scramble and try to dodge pressure to find open receivers.  

Burrow's instinct is to extend plays as long as possible, and he is good at it, but that is getting him killed here in very short order.  

The team needs to do something like they did in 2009.  Get a fullback and find some downhill runners and pound the football.  Maybe they will not win many games, but they can build something fundamental that will last.  That 2009 team laid a foundation that lasted and culminated into 2015, IMO.  It's just too bad that Taylor does not have the vision to do that.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 07:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: At least McKay was good for some absolute gems during pressers....lol.

McKay was also the HC for an expansion team in the era where that meant you had to assemble a squad from people who weren't already signed to NFL teams.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 07:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It really feels like the only hope for things to ever get better will be to vote against the next stadium deal so Mike leaves town and hope we get another franchise a few years after that.

Funny thing is, I'd be willing to bet the expansion franchise would get to the playoffs before the Mike Brown run team that would leave.

If the Bengals leave, I'm gonna be a frontrunning bandwagoner....lol. Hey, my candle is starting to drip off more wax than is left in it!

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:33 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: The only precedent is 2009.  In 2008 the line got Palmer killed.  In 2009 they did not get better players (except maybe Cook over Gutcheck), but they added an extra lineman and got a downhill runner with a real chip on his shoulder.  They also simplified the offense dramatically.  What they did not do is let Palmer scramble and try to dodge pressure to find open receivers.  

Burrow's instinct is to extend plays as long as possible, and he is good at it, but that is getting him killed here in very short order.  

The team needs to do something like they did in 2009.  Get a fullback and find some downhill runners and pound the football.  Maybe they will not win many games, but they can build something fundamental that will last.  That 2009 team laid a foundation that lasted and culminated into 2015, IMO.  It's just too bad that Taylor does not have the vision to do that.

They rarely run Mixon inside or to the left. Would that not be a fix?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Yeah! So don’t even try to get better, suckers!

Ehh, more like don't get too high over the tie and win vs the Eagles/Jaguars and don't get too down we got smooshed in Baltimore.  Hell, the Browns looked lousy in Baltimore in week 1 and they're now 4-1.

I don't think we're going to crack 6 wins this year, but this was an easy L today.  Thems the breaks.  The Steelers are very likely to completely kill us in the trenches and sadly the notion that Burrow and ZT were going to beat the Steelers because they aren't Andy and Marvin will be short-lived.

Burrow had his first bad day.  It happens...especially around here. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:33 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: The only precedent is 2009.  In 2008 the line got Palmer killed.  In 2009 they did not get better players (except maybe Cook over Gutcheck), but they added an extra lineman and got a downhill runner with a real chip on his shoulder.  They also simplified the offense dramatically.  What they did not do is let Palmer scramble and try to dodge pressure to find open receivers.  

With the way our defense plays, and the ways offenses score in 2020, I'm not thinking that's gonna work very well. Back then? Yeah, an unbalanced line and pounding the rock with a top 10 defense could squeak out some close wins. With teams dropping 20-30 points on even stout defenses, I feel you'd be lucky to even win a game and tie one. Otherwise, other cellar dwellers with slightly better units than ours would be doing that. That's 11 years ago.

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis was better. I don’t want him back but he was better.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: McKay was also the HC for an expansion team in the era where that meant you had to assemble a squad from people who weren't already signed to NFL teams.

McKay was a fine college coach, and actually had the Bucs in the playoffs by 1979.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:31 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I know they are crap but don't want to cuss up the storm on here.

I was just curious if this was fixable by play calling or we are screwed until we either draft or bring someone in though FA

I think he was simply pointing out the good stuff without actually putting out the good stuff and being attacked for it.

What’s the good stuff? We got EMBARRASSED. no 300yd game for Burrow. No false hope for the atrocious OL. Nothing for the defense to hold onto. The score was, well, THE SCORE.

Nothing for the FO to hang onto. Nothing for the coaching staff to hold onto. This is rock bottom. 

So you might ask yourself why I am happy to see the results as they were? Well, all false hope has been removed. We were slapped in the face embarrassingly by a division team. No excuses for anyone on the team. All have to digest this loss. So what’s next? 

They will feed off the embarrassment and grow. Those that don’t will be gone. Sometimes, failure is your biggest victory because it wakes your ass up.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:39 PM)QueenCity Wrote: They rarely run Mixon inside or to the left. Would that not be a fix?

Mixon actually bounces a lot of inside runs to the outside, because, well, the main problem on this unit in the running and passing game are the guards. Pressure up the gut effs up everything. Bobby Hart is a better run blocker than Jonah right now.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Mixon actually bounces a lot of inside runs to the outside, because, well, the main problem on this unit in the running and passing game are the guards. Pressure up the gut effs up everything. Bobby Hart is a better run blocker than Jonah right now.

That is a scary situation.... I was wondering why Mixon bounced out almost every run
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:47 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Mixon actually bounces a lot of inside runs to the outside, because, well, the main problem on this unit in the running and passing game are the guards. Pressure up the gut effs up everything. Bobby Hart is a better run blocker than Jonah right now.

Thank you.

I was trying to explain to Mrs. FiK why Joe Mixon looked terrible. This is why.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 09:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: With the way our defense plays, and the ways offenses score in 2020, I'm not thinking that's gonna work very well. Back then? Yeah, an unbalanced line and pounding the rock with a top 10 defense could squeak out some close wins. With teams dropping 20-30 points on even stout defenses, I feel you'd be lucky to even win a game and tie one. Otherwise, other cellar dwellers with slightly better units than ours would be doing that. That's 11 years ago.

Yes, we would not go 10-6 again, but we would not see any games as abysmal as today either.  

As far as defense goes, the 2009 unit had some great corners, but other than that they played good mainly because they were not on the field as much because we were such a ball control offense.

If we got that offense going again, then maybe we could morph it into what the Browns are doing, which is, I hate to say it, what I want to see out of the Bengals right now. 
Reply/Quote
Don’t hit the panic button just yet. This team has shown a lot of resilience. Did not give up on the last drive and got 3. It is Turing around already. Also this is the bengals he is not going anywhere. They will fire the fans first. Not cheering hard enough..
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2020, 07:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Went thru the 90s, then a glimpse of hope in the Marvin era, and now it feels just like the 90s again, except with the incredible ceiling that Burrow seems to have.

The common denominator in all this, it ryhmes with Clown Whammly.
Clown Whammly.....hmmmm

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Whats crazy is zachary has never done anything to prove himself. He was a OC for the Bearcats and didnt really do jack squat. This man talked his way into a coaching gig. He is a very good talker. A natural born hustler.
Reply/Quote