Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor on the Dan Patrick Show
(04-13-2020, 07:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was skeptical about Zac Taylor having his hands on the offense from the get-go because he was a QB Coach going to HC/Playcaller (and his disastrous year at UC as OC).

Skepticism turned into certainty that he had no business being anywhere near playcalling in Week 5. The Cardinals came in with the 32nd ranked defense against TEs and the Bengals didn't even TARGET a TE under 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. 

Think about that. He had a week to prepare against the worst TE defense in the league, had added 3 TEs to the roster in the offseason (Eifert, Uzomah, Sample) and didn't call an attempted pass to a TE until more than half the game passed. That's an inexcusable lack of common sense where the standard response of "do you think you could do better?" is actually valid to answer with "yes". 

He had his full roster of TEs at the time, he just didn't use them.

I'm sure any Offensive Coordinator in the league would've just loved to have the Offensive talent the Bengals had ALL YEAR LONG.  

JOB Interview with Duke Tobin::: 
Hey Norv Turner, we don't have a Bonafide #1 WR on the Roster, as our Pro bowler went down for the year in training camp. 
Also, you have an Offensive Line who graded very poorly all year long; and, of course it was playing without its #1 Left Tackle. 
That's right, we don't really have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd team left tackle....okay, maybe 3rd string Left Tackle to guard the blind side of our QB. So, your play calling will be vastly limited to either keeping your TE's or your RB's in for protection most of the time. But hey, you can take your pick each play. 
Also, your QB, can't really have any drop backs more than 3-5 steps b/c he'll need to get the ball out in record time all year long, around 2 seconds or less each pass play. If any longer, he'll need to be better at scrambling than Lamar Jackson or a guy named Mahommes. You may know of him? 
Shoot, you know that Play action passing you want to do? Not gonna happen. 

Oh, BTW, you know those TE's you want to use in a mismatch against the #32 defense Arizona has this year? Sorry, they'll have to stay in and help block most of the game b/c the only thing Arizona does have is one of the best who can really rush the QB. 
And, you may have forgotten, we don't have no LT to block Chandler Jones (yeah, plays on the left side, had 19 sacks). (You make it sound so simple TLL don't you?). 
And, as for your other x WR he will be injured for half the year in John Ross. So, you have 4 other WR's who really can't separate from their defenders in Boyd, Tate, Erickson, or Willis. So, you have nothing to threaten defenses with, and defenses won't have to double cover anyone. As a matter of fact, they'll be able to load the box to stop the only threat you do have, Joe Mixon, who will be running behind a mediocre at best Offensive Line all year long. 
Lastly, you had a Tyler Eifert who clearly isn't the same player hitting the creases he used to hit a few years ago. He's no Travis Kelsey, let me tell ya. Lol 

I almost forgot, our Defense won't be doing you guys any favors either; because they'll be ranked 28th in the league, giving up almost the most yards in the League. So, your offense won't be winning any time of possession battles at all.
But, you're one of the best at what you do Norv; so, I'm sure you can work around all that stuff right?  
Anyway, sounds like a GREAT job opportunity though! Do you want the job???? 

Norv Turner: Uhhhh, could I call you back after you Draft Joe Burrow, and another top WR and TE in the Draft, and have a healthy Jonah Williams and AJ Green, and spend $150 Million on Free Agency to shore up your defense and offensive line? I think I may actually be able to work with that then. 

Duke Tobin: 
No, we'll be giving Zach Taylor a Legit chance to run the offense he actually wants to run for us with a Bonafide, talented offense. It's the least we could do for the guy! Don't you think? 
Reply/Quote
Why are we only picking 1st in 3 out of the first 4 rounds? I thought the team with the first pick picks first every round...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 08:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why are we only picking 1st in 3 out of the first 4 rounds? I thought the team with the first pick picks first every round...

I think it's supposed to be, "days," as that's what Zac said last week too.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 08:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think it's supposed to be, "days," as that's what Zac said last week too.

2nd and 3rd rounds are same day. They don't get the night to sleep on their next pick or trade like in the 2nd and 4th round. And of course 1st round. Lol
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 08:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think it's supposed to be, "days," as that's what Zac said last week too.

(04-13-2020, 08:54 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: 2nd and 3rd rounds are same day. They don't get the night to sleep on their next pick or trade like in the 2nd and 4th round. And of course 1st round. Lol

Ah ok that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 08:54 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: 2nd and 3rd rounds are same day. They don't get the night to sleep on their next pick or trade like in the 2nd and 4th round. And of course 1st round. Lol

Hence why 2 of the 3 days, they are picking first.

I see I didn't modify the numbers. that's on me.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 08:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hence why 2 of the 3 days, they are picking first.

I see I didn't modify the numbers. that's on me.

If people don't know how the draft days and rounds break down, then I can see how they could be confused by that. Hey, I thought we picked 1st in Round 3 too? Lol
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 09:04 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: If people don't know how the draft days and rounds break down, then I can see how they could be confused by that. Hey, I thought we picked 1st in Round 3 too? Lol

Taylor said it weird. Hence the confusion.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 08:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why are we only picking 1st in 3 out of the first 4 rounds? I thought the team with the first pick picks first every round...

They alternate/rotate if they have identical records, but the Bengals will pick first in every round.
https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 10:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They alternate/rotate if they have identical records, but the Bengals will pick first in every round.
https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Yep.  The reward for being the best at sucking at exactly the right time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think Zac soundede pretty stupid when he said the most important thing in scouting a college QB is the ability to win. That makes no sense at all. The national champion QB often stinks in the NFL.

Matt Flynn, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, A.J. McCarron, Jameis Winston, J.T. Barrett, etc etc

Any coach that thinks he can win just by having a QB who will say "Losing is not an noption" is a total loser. I wonder why losing was an option for Burrow in 2018 but not 2019?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think Zac soundede pretty stupid when he said the most important thing in scouting a college QB is the ability to win. That makes no sense at all. The national champion QB often stinks in the NFL.

Matt Flynn, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, A.J. McCarron, Jameis Winston, J.T. Barrett, etc etc

Any coach that thinks he can win just by having a QB who will say "Losing is not an noption" is a total loser. I wonder why losing was an option for Burrow in 2018 but not 2019?

He probably means he wants the type of QB that would never be seen laughing on the sideline after throwing multiple INT’s in playoff game...

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He probably means he wants the type of QB that would never be seen laughing on the sideline after throwing multiple INT’s in playoff game...

An NFL coach should be more worried about why a QB threw multiple interceptions than how he reacted to them.

Doesn't do any good for a QB to pitch a crybaby fit on the sidelines after every interception if he keeps throwing them.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: An NFL coach should be more worried about why a QB threw multiple interceptions than how he reacted to them.

Doesn't do any good for a QB to pitch a crybaby fit on the sidelines after every interception if he keeps throwing them.

Doesn’t need to be a crybaby fit, but he sure as hell shouldn’t be laughing. But I do agree that throwing them in the first place is a bigger problem.

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doesn’t need to be a crybaby fit, but he sure as hell shouldn’t be laughing. But I do agree that throwing them in the first place is a bigger problem.

The odds of Burrow never laughing nor losing his cool during a loss here in the next 15 years are infinitesimal. 

Plus if a QB shows no emotion during loss then we can just say he clearly doesn't care and is just there for a paycheck. There is no wrong way to win and no right way to lose.  
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The odds of Burrow never laughing nor losing his cool during a loss here in the next 15 years are infinitesimal. 

Plus if a QB shows no emotion during loss then we can just say he clearly doesn't care and is just there for a paycheck. There is no wrong way to win and no right way to lose.  

All losses are not equal. I guarantee a guy as competitive as Burrow wouldn’t be laughing it up having a good old time in a PLAYOFF game in which he was playing like total ass.

That’s just who Andy is. You can see it in his speeches. He’s the “let’s just go have fun” type of of player. Burrow wants to “steal the other team’s souls” lol

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 11:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All losses are not equal. I guarantee a guy as competitive as Burrow wouldn’t be laughing it up having a good old time in a PLAYOFF game in which he was playing like total ass.

That’s just who Andy is. You can see it in his speeches. He’s the “let’s just go have fun” type of of player. Burrow wants to “steal the other team’s souls” lol

Burrow does seem more the type to start smashing things or screaming at teammates or coaches when things go awry, and awry things will go....it is a given in the NFL.  

The camera is going to be on Burrow during a loss and he's either going to be showing too much or too little emotion and people are going to get upset. That's just the way it is. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 11:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All losses are not equal. I guarantee a guy as competitive as Burrow wouldn’t be laughing it up having a good old time in a PLAYOFF game in which he was playing like total ass.

What PLAYOFF game was Andy laughing in?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 11:12 AM)sandwedge Wrote: What PLAYOFF game was Andy laughing in?

His first. He threw 3 INTS and they cut to a shot of him laughing and smiling on the sideline. Just what you want to see out of any player, let alone your QB...

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed Zac was a terrible play caller last season. Was hoping he would give that job up and just coach the team.

Thought Turner and even Lou got much better as the season went on. Taylor is still young and could improve in all the areas.

Not giving up yet, plus Taylor had a very short Offseason last year and had to work with Marv's team for the most part.

I know these are excuses but I have to have some hope and this Free Agency and getting Burrow gives me some.

Are head coaches that call their own plays ... ordinators?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote