Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Zac Taylor play calling is trash!
(11-06-2023, 11:08 AM)Bengalion Wrote: Had Burrow not undethrown Chase on that play the final score would be more appealing and I'm sure some fans wouldn't be mad at Zac. In my opinion the penalties and that underthrown made the final score look ugly. Going for it on that second 4th down situation was very dumb, should've just kicked the FG or punted the ball, but other than that, I think Zac called a solid game. 5-3, here comes Stroud and Tank Dell.

That sequence of four straight penalties was terrible. Not a typical Bengals series of events under Taylor. I agree on kicking the FG too. That was just not very smart. Take those points against Josh Allen.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, and Mixon got the first on it, didn't he? Or was it another play where he got the first and accidentally ran out of bounds?

I don't think he accidentally ran out of bounds (if you're talking about the game sealer). He had to take that angle to make the 1st down marker or Miller was going to stone him. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:10 AM)Housh Wrote: Yall gotta realize every call isn’t actually designed to work.

That toss is so that defenders stay on the outside for inside runs and play action passes

If we NEVER did tosses or stretches then teams would just pack the box and not guard the edge and they’d be more likely to blow up our play actions

Every call is designed to work, but not every call needs to work for it to have some level of effectiveness. 

If you think the coaches are throwing in plays that aren't just aren't designed to work, well...
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The false start on Cappa was legit, but the false start on Zeus I just did not see any movement. 

I didn't see any movement at first. But went back to the replay and he did move. Very slight but he definitely flinched. Now the hold on Cappa was complete crap.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:13 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Every call is designed to work, but not every call needs to work for it to have some level of effectiveness. 

If you think the coaches are throwing in plays that aren't just aren't designed to work, well...

Right? 

It's like the Chase bubbles. You run them early to show the defense and run them because you legit think they have a chance to get you positive yards. 

Then you fake it later in the game to take advantage of the defenses tendincies. 

In no way are you running "throw away" plays though. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:16 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I didn't see any movement at first. But went back to the replay and he did move. Very slight but he definitely flinched. Now the hold on Cappa was complete crap.

Those refs sure like their flags on the ground.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think he accidentally ran out of bounds (if you're talking about the game sealer). He had to take that angle to make the 1st down marker or Miller was going to stone him. 

Yeah, that's the one. He got away from Miller, then darted for the sticks. I say "accidentally" because you could tell he was a little frustrated he didn't stay in. You're right, it would've been hard for him to stay in. I can't recall though, was that a pitch, or did he just bounce it outside?

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Right? 

It's like the Chase bubbles. You run them early to show the defense and run them because you legit think they have a chance to get you positive yards. 

Then you fake it later in the game to take advantage of the defenses tendincies. 

Exactly. Coaches aren't going to intentionally waste downs by calling dummy plays. They are too important of a resource and you don't know how many you will get over the course of a game. Gotta make 'em count. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:10 AM)Housh Wrote: Yall gotta realize every call isn’t actually designed to work.

That toss is so that defenders stay on the outside for inside runs and play action passes

If we NEVER did tosses or stretches then teams would just pack the box and not guard the edge and they’d be more likely to blow up our play actions

Yep I learned from conversation with Chuck Long when he was OU OC exactly this. They’d run plays with Adrian Peterson that would result in minor success. They’d run it several times in a game. Never with much success. Then they ran the play blocking the linebacker completely different than previous and he was flattened resulting in a long TD run in the fourth quarter. They were setting it up. Linebacker never saw it coming.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
It is impressive the early game scoring success as that has been an issue for awhile. I will also give them credit for the changes they have made going from shotgun to under center the last 2 years. Both changes have really seemed to help.

I'm still concerned about situational football, short yardage, our lack of using other RBs and continuing to give Chase the ball behind the line of scrimmage. I mean is it just me or does Ja'Marrs whole body language seem to say he doesn't like those plays? Not that he has a poor attitude he just approaches the line way too slow and struggles to find his cut lane. Not really sure how many times we need to see this before we finally call it quits on that. I get it sets him up as a decoy and probably helped Hudson pick up his 1st down but you set one drive back to help another? While taking your most explosive player out of the play.
Reply/Quote

This exactly.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Do they have a legit chance for positive yards though? He is so terrible at those plays. I'd like to see a guy like Evans get a chance at these types of plays. Maybe a Charlie Jones when he's back and healthy. Maybe nobody will draw the type of attention Chase will get but Chase just seems to show no ability on these plays. Maybe one out of ten he picks up 4 to 5 yds while the other 9 go for no gain.
Reply/Quote
I really like Zac's flexibility in his willingness to take the opening kickoff, rather than defer to the second half.

For one, there are two undesirable outcomes of starting on defense: (1) starting behind in the score before you ever touch the ball; and (2) having the other team down a punt inside the 10, or even 5, and starting not being able to run your scripted plays.

Secondly, the Bengals defense often adjusts well by the second half and can contain the other teams opening drive of the second half.

Third, since other teams always seem to want to defer to the second half, by liking to take the ball first, the Bengals always win the coin toss.

In the last couple of decades, perhaps following a pattern run to perfection by Brady and Belichick, teams almost always defer to the second half. Zac's flexibility in this regard is quite refreshing.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 12:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just never, ever, ever, ever run another sweep with Chase. I'd like to see them do it with Charlie upon his return.

Zac, I need you to read this: No sweeps or Screens for JC
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 10:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: Safe to say that's why he doesn't see the field much?

Sadly, that was my conclusion as well.   He's dynamite if he knows what's going on though
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 01:00 PM)3wt Wrote: Sadly, that was my conclusion as well.   He's dynamite if he knows what's going on though

He is, just gotta get that cleaned up. He's been here too long for that kind of thing.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Those refs sure like their flags on the ground.

Makes Shawn Kemp cringe.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 11:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Those refs sure like their flags on the ground.

Flags on the ground?
Flags on the ground!
Looking like a fool with your flags on the ground.

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes Shawn Kemp cringe.  Ninja

What does a former NBA player have to do with the refs from Sunday throwing their flags on the ground. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2023, 02:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What does a former NBA player have to do with the refs from Sunday throwing their flags on the ground. Mellow

I think it was Pally who started a thread about the ref in this game calling him Shawn Kemp. Mellow
Reply/Quote