Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Zac Taylor play calling is trash!
(11-06-2023, 10:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Amazing how when stuff works it's a good play call.

Execution is always the gauge of good or bad coaching/play calling.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 03:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: A year or so ago we started too slow for you. They’ve worked hard on quicker starts. After deferring on most tosses they started being more aggressive in improving. Now all the pundits complain about the second half. Duh! Why does that not shock me.

I also want to know. Why does it is shock you that vanishing for half of a game isn't considered good when you have elite talent, regardless of where that half is?

Teams with worse talent get better results. Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, and Jared Goff don't have better weapons than Joe Burrow does, yet they've had better scoring offenses than the Bengals each of the last two years, 3 years for the first 3 of those 4. Heck, Lamar Jackson is currently heading an offense that is a higher ranked scoring offense than Joe Burrow has ever had.

Either Zac Taylor is getting far less results than he should with the talent we have, or the talent we have isn't anywhere near as good as we like to say. I still think Joe Burrow is the 2nd best QB in the league and that we have the best WR trio in the league, so I am going to believe the former is true.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2023, 04:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I also want to know. Why does it is shock you that vanishing for half of a game isn't considered good when you have elite talent, regardless of where that half is?

Teams with worse talent get better results. Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, and Jared Goff don't have better weapons than Joe Burrow does, yet they've had better scoring offenses than the Bengals each of the last two years, 3 years for the first 3 of those 4. Heck, Lamar Jackson is currently heading an offense that is a higher ranked scoring offense than Joe Burrow has ever had.

Either Zac Taylor is getting far less results than he should with the talent we have, or the talent we have isn't anywhere near as good as we like to say. I still think Joe Burrow is the 2nd best QB in the league and that we have the best WR trio in the league, so I am going to believe the former is true.

I stopped reading after the first sentence. Worse talent? 11 players play. Not just the receivers. Only 7 teams are better at points per play than Cincy the last 3 games against the hardest 3 game stretch of any team. End of story. And I just learned this: when Zac took over the Bengals were one of the most penalized teams. From his first game until today they are the least penalized during his tenure.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Paul Dehner today said the last 2 years the Bengals are 17-2 in Nov-Jan. The 2 losses vs the Rams in the SB and to KC in last years AFC championship. But I thought they lost to Cleveland
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 06:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Paul Dehner today said the last 2 years the Bengals are 17-2 in Nov-Jan. The 2 losses vs the Rams in the SB and to KC in last years AFC championship. But I thought they lost to Cleveland

They did. I am count five losses in Nov-Jan.

1. Browns 2021 
  2. Chargers 2021
  3. 49ers 2021
  4. Browns 2021
  5. Chiefs 2022
Reply/Quote
I don't know where he's getting those numbers. in 2021, from November to February (let's count the Super Bowl since he's counting that as one of the two losses), they played 13 total games, going 8-5. In 2022, they went 11-1. That's 19-6, which is still a very good record.

Even if you counted calendar years, it doesn't add up. From January 2022 until today, (only counting the BUF game this season since it was the first in November) they have played 18 games, going 15 and 3. Hopefully I've done the math right, but I don't know where he's getting his numbers.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 06:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: They did. I am count five losses in Nov-Jan.

1. Browns 2021 
  2. Chargers 2021
  3. 49ers 2021
  4. Browns 2021
  5. Chiefs 2022

Here’s what he said; Burrow has won 12 consecutive regular-season games from November on. They are 17-2 in the last 19 after Halloween, with the only two losses coming in the Super Bowl and AFC Championship Game.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 09:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Here’s what he said; Burrow has won 12 consecutive regular-season games from November on. They are 17-2 in the last 19 after Halloween, with the only two losses coming in the Super Bowl and AFC Championship Game.

At least you didn’t pay money for that. Oh, wait . . .
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 11:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: At least you didn’t pay money for that. Oh, wait . . .

No I’m comped for my inside info. But thanks for playing

Reply/Quote
The first two plays on first and goal was a joke. So pissed at Boyd. Think I need to get off here. Would rather get blown out than lose like this. Had no business even being in position to will this game, yet we were in a great position to win and blew it. We need Charlie Jones to get healthy and prove he can take over for Boyd. Boyd had a huge 3rd down drop in the Championship game against KC last year too. Shit I’m just venting now.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 06:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: The first two plays on first and goal was a joke. So pissed at Boyd. Think I need to get off here. Would rather get blown out than lose like this. Had no business even being in position to will this game, yet we were in a great position to win and blew it. We need Charlie Jones to get healthy and prove he can take over for Boyd. Boyd had a huge 3rd down drop in the Championship game against KC last year too. Shit I’m just venting now.

Boyd also had a pretty big drop in the Super Bowl...

That said, TB is WE #3 for a reason I guess. Better than most 3rd options on other teams. Big play to set the opportunity up, but he blew it.

The 1st and 2nd down calls were an absolute mess however... they didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Reply/Quote
Boyd has to catch it. Simple as that

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 08:06 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Boyd has to catch it. Simple as that

Doesn't erase the terrible play calling beforehand. The offense couldn't score for over 30 min
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 08:16 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Doesn't erase the terrible play calling beforehand. The offense couldn't score for over 30 min

There seems to be two ways the offense looks good; the scripted plays at the start of the game, and when Joe Burrow does Joe Burrow shit (scrambles around and makes plays off script).

I think it’s fair to question Zac and Callahan. There are plenty of coaches that dream of having a duo like Burrow and Chase. There’s just no excuse for this offense to disappear as much as they do.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There seems to be two ways the offense looks good; the scripted plays at the start of the game, and when Joe Burrow does Joe Burrow shit (scrambles around and makes plays off script).

I think it’s fair to question Zac and Callahan. There are plenty of coaches that dream of having a duo like Burrow and Chase. There’s just no excuse for this offense to disappear as much as they do.

Yet Lou and lucky breaks have made him look like a capable OC in the eyes of the front office. We are in a crap situation! We had a great first drive, then the Texans defensive coaches adjusted. ZT had no answer! Shocker
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 07:58 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Boyd also had a pretty big drop in the Super Bowl...

That said, TB is WE #3 for a reason I guess. Better than most 3rd options on other teams. Big play to set the opportunity up, but he blew it.

The 1st and 2nd down calls were an absolute mess however... they didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Should've ran 1st down with extra lineman and the QB draw play was ludicris. Of course the drops are the only things Boyd is remembered for the last 2 seasons because have cost us games.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 10:42 PM)OUatown Wrote: Yet Lou and lucky breaks have made him look like a capable OC in the eyes of the front office. We are in a crap situation! We had a great first drive, then the Texans defensive coaches adjusted. ZT had no answer! Shocker

Playing out of the shotgun 98% of plays is just plain lazy or stupid. Zac is only successful because of Joe Burrow.....period. Unfortunately he's here for at least another 10 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 11:03 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Playing out of the shotgun 98% of plays is just plain lazy or stupid. Zac is only successful because of Joe Burrow.....period. Unfortunately he's here for at least another 10 years.

Well, thankfully they aren't that high. Early on, Cincinnati was running primarily out of shotgun due to necessity with Joe's injury. Since Joe has become healthy again, they are running shotgun about 85% of the time. League average this year is 86%, so Cincinnati has been just slightly under league average since Joe recovered. Philadelphia leads the league with 94% of their plays coming in shotgun. 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 11:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Well, thankfully they aren't that high. Early on, Cincinnati was running primarily out of shotgun due to necessity with Joe's injury. Since Joe has become healthy again, they are running shotgun about 85% of the time. League average this year is 86%, so Cincinnati has been just slightly under league average since Joe recovered. Philadelphia leads the league with 94% of their plays coming in shotgun. 

Still have no run game! No creativity! Sadly he doesn’t have the self awareness to realize he’s a shit OC!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 11:45 PM)OUatown Wrote: Still have no run game! No creativity! Sadly he doesn’t have the self awareness to realize he’s a shit OC!

The lack of a run game is a pretty serious issue. You don't need an elite running game but it needs, or at least helps greatly, if it is serviceable. Mixon isn't very good but he also isn't awful. I'm not sure what the solution is, but Cincinnati is in a tough spot. The offensive line is struggling to open holes and Mixon struggles to break tackles. That's a bad recipe. I think Mixon had a good game today given his limited opportunities. 
Reply/Quote