Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor to implement game clocks in practice
Could this be part of the clock management issues under Marvin?  Taylor has already hired a coach to explicitly watch and manage the clock and game situations, now he's bringing clocks to the practice field, which Marvin never had.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/26/marvin-lewis-bengals-practices-without-visible-play-clocks-16-years-zac-taylor/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Could this be part of the clock management issues under Marvin?  Taylor has already hired a coach to explicitly watch and manage the clock and game situations, now he's bringing clocks to the practice field, which Marvin never had.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/26/marvin-lewis-bengals-practices-without-visible-play-clocks-16-years-zac-taylor/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

I never understood that about Marvin. Just basic stuff that he never did and his teams never did. I never watched a Marvin Lewis era game that I thought was played fundamentally soundly by all units. Missed tackles, false starts, and clock management issues were a fixture under his regime no matter who the assistants were. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:15 AM)Cicero Wrote: I never understood that about Marvin. Just basic stuff that he never did and his teams never did. I never watched a Marvin Lewis era game that I thought was played fundamentally soundly by all units. Missed tackles, false starts, and clock management issues were a fixture under his regime no matter who the assistants were. 

I agree.....and it always seemed that one unit would screw up when the other two were playing solid.  The complete game was rare.

Reply/Quote
He must have never "self scouted" because to everyone else in the world, his game clock management was awful, and it never seemed to improve.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He must have never "self scouted" because to everyone else in the world, his game clock management was awful, and it never seemed to improve.

I suspect he was a victim of the Peter principle. He was really good at building a respectable team twice but never had the instincts, knowledge, and self awareness  to put them over the top. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:32 AM)Cicero Wrote:
I suspect he was a victim of the Peter principle.
He was really good at building a respectable team twice but never had the instincts, knowledge, and self awareness  to put them over the top. 

He was the basic embodiment of it.  I agree with every word.  A very good nutshell description of Marv.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Seems like a sound idea. You want to mimic games as much as you can in practice.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:32 AM)Cicero Wrote: I suspect he was a victim of the Peter principle. He was really good at building a respectable team twice but never had the instincts, knowledge, and self awareness  to put them over the top. 

Yep, his in game awareness and ability to coach in crunch time was very deficient. I'll never forget that game I was furious gosh it's probably been 10 years ago now, time flies. Was it Rudi Johnson ? Anyways we had the ball like at their 7 no timeouts right before the half only like 20 seconds left and we run the ball up the middle. It gets stuffed for like 1 yard gain and of course the clock ran out and we didn't score. 

It's like come on Marvin, really ?? Had it been from the 3.... ok maybe catch em off guard but the 7 or 8 yard line. Geeeezzzzzh

I like so much about what ZT is doing, Nike Brown even commented the difference he's seeing in practice, film room, everything is just what was the word he used ? amazing
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:15 AM)Cicero Wrote: I never understood that about Marvin. Just basic stuff that he never did and his teams never did. I never watched a Marvin Lewis era game that I thought was played fundamentally soundly by all units. Missed tackles, false starts, and clock management issues were a fixture under his regime no matter who the assistants were. 

idk 2009 vs the bears I believe....
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 01:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: idk 2009 vs the bears I believe....

One outa 256 ain't bad.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:13 PM)McC Wrote: One outa 256 ain't bad.

better than none lol....
Reply/Quote
This makes sense. Then again, ZT could hang nude pictures of Bea Arthur all over the stadium and we'd declare him a genius.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: better than none lol....

Two, we beat the shit outta the Jets in 2014 or '15. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Two, we beat the shit outta the Jets in 2014 or '15. :andy:

Yep.  Gave Rex's Jets a good ol' fashioned beatdown.

I would add the victory over the undefeated Chiefs that Chad predicted when Peter Warrick played the game of his life.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Two, we beat the shit outta the Jets in 2014 or '15. :andy:

didn't they then turn around and remove us from the playoffs or was that still 09 lol
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 03:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: didn't they then turn around and remove us from the playoffs or was that still 09 lol

That was '09.  They whooped us the last week of the season when we rested everybody and then whooped us in the playoffs the next week.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Could this be part of the clock management issues under Marvin?  

(07-26-2019, 11:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He must have never "self scouted" because to everyone else in the world, his game clock management was awful, and it never seemed to improve.

(07-26-2019, 11:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Seems like a sound idea. You want to mimic games as much as you can in practice.

Did you guys read the link?

It has nothing to do with game clock management.  Three are simply clocks to let the players know how much time is left in each practice session.  I am pretty sure it has to do with speeding up the tempo of practice.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This makes sense.  Then again, ZT could hang nude pictures of Bea Arthur all over the stadium and we'd declare him a genius.

Oh c'mon.. Don't go raggin on the most beautiful golden girl outside of all the others. How about Annette Funicello's magical tits nobody ever saw?  Better yet, her mustache! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:32 AM)Cicero Wrote: I suspect he was a victim of the Peter principle. He was really good at building a respectable team twice but never had the instincts, knowledge, and self awareness  to put them over the top. 

Marvin Lewis was just a modern Chuck Knox. He could get teams to the cusp and that was it. The Rams were the only smart ones and fired him when he had them close and Robinson took them to the SuperBowl, the Bills and the Seahawks held on to him for too long, much like MB did with ML.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Could this be part of the clock management issues under Marvin?  Taylor has already hired a coach to explicitly watch and manage the clock and game situations, now he's bringing clocks to the practice field, which Marvin never had.

This is good news. Although I don't quite understand how Marvin had the team practicing the two minute or four minute drills without also having a game clock in the practice. This could explain why we used timeouts at the oddest points in games.

Reply/Quote