Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Taylor to take a step back
(05-23-2024, 05:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I didn't really take this that Zac was giving up play calling, just that he was letting Pitch design the offense.

(05-23-2024, 07:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My concern as well. Didn't read anything about play calling. 

Don't ruin this for me. Let me be happy.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 07:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't ruin this for me. Let me be happy.   Ninja

Not trying to ruin the happiness. I bet the transition will be slow as he proves himself. Yet, we all know it has to happen at some point.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 06:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Opening drives are scripted. I don't know what the problem was but it wasn't too many voices. We've discussed that aspect here before, based on how Zac said it was handled. Certain guys had to have plays ready for certain situations, 3rd and long, goal to go, etc, and they would give Zac a an option. He would then decide between what he was going to call and their suggestion. 

My guess is, they didn't like the defensive alignment..
Reply/Quote
I think Dan P is a rising star.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I applaud this concession by Zac

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 07:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not trying to ruin the happiness. I bet the transition will be slow as he proves himself. Yet, we all know it has to happen at some point.

I wouldn't be so sure, as many of the 'changes' are things that they were actually working on last season, but couldn't implement with Burrow's calf injury and then the wrist. We saw a little of what they want to do when Browning was holding down QB in Joe's absence. The team went further in cementing that the offense was indeed going a different direction with some of the personnel decisions this offseason.

So it would appear that gone are the days of lining up in shotgun with 3 WR, 11 personnel, and dropping back and slingin' it 40-50X/game.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 06:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Opening drives are scripted. I don't know what the problem was but it wasn't too many voices. We've discussed that aspect here before, based on how Zac said it was handled. Certain guys had to have plays ready for certain situations, 3rd and long, goal to go, etc, and they would give Zac a an option. He would then decide between what he was going to call and their suggestion. 

And from what I read, he then gave Burrow about 3 calls and let him make the final decision at the line. 
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And from what I read, he then gave Burrow about 3 calls and let him make the final decision at the line. 

I'd just about be willing to bet that is standard operating procedure for most NFL offenses with a competent QB.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure, as many of the 'changes' are things that they were actually working on last season, but couldn't implement with Burrow's calf injury and then the wrist. We saw a little of what they want to do when Browning was holding down QB in Joe's absence. The team went further in cementing that the offense was indeed going a different direction with some of the personnel decisions this offseason.

So it would appear that gone are the days of lining up in shotgun with 3 WR, 11 personnel, and dropping back and slingin' it 40-50X/game.  

Yeah, when we all look back at it, Burrow being sidelined with the wrist may have been a blessing in disguise. We found out the run game performs better under center and Burrow to Chase/Higgins/Boyd not a ride or die scenario. It may have made them realize that outside of Burrow, this is still a pretty dang good team.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, when we all look back at it, Burrow being sidelined with the wrist may have been a blessing in disguise. We found out the run game performs better under center and Burrow to Chase/Higgins/Boyd not a ride or die scenario. It may have made them realize that outside of Burrow, this is still a pretty dang good team.

Not just that, lining up under center also gives teeth to the play action, as it actually forces the LBs to hesitate for a second.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 03:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: and allow Dan Pitcher full ownership in determining direction of the offense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/zac-taylor-says-he-ll-take-a-step-back-and-allow-dan-pitcher-to-take-ownership-in-the-direction-of-the-offense/ar-BB1mVFS4?ocid=BingNewsSerp

This is a great sign, thanks for sharing this Sunset. Didn't know if Zac had the gumption to take a step back for the team. Having too many
minds has been a problem at times I think and giving Pitcher the reigns and allowing Taylor to just be the Head Coach should really help the
team. Been calling for this for years. I think Zac had too much on his plate.

This is fantastic news if Pitcher does a great job as OC.Cool
Reply/Quote
I'm reaching, but I wonder if this was apart of the deal / discussion that kept him around last offseason. Depending on if he passed up on those OC jobs that were offering to let him call plays. He may not be calling plays, but maybe when they talked him into staying Zac gave up some stuff to sweeten the pot?

That is reaching tho as Cali was still around and if Zac was willing to give that up to keep Pitch around for the future OC spot, Cali probably would feel some sort of way as to why not help him develop with additional responsibilities (which he ended up not needing to get a HC job), but you never know. It is something to pass up on OC jobs that would allow you to call plays as QBC. Something was discussed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure, as many of the 'changes' are things that they were actually working on last season, but couldn't implement with Burrow's calf injury and then the wrist. We saw a little of what they want to do when Browning was holding down QB in Joe's absence. The team went further in cementing that the offense was indeed going a different direction with some of the personnel decisions this offseason.

No way they don't throw 40 times a game, no way.
Reply/Quote
Zac and Burrow coming around together, both have advocated for shotgun more than i would prefer.. though one area where Burrow has to improve is his play action. maybe now that Boomer has more time on his hand, he can tutor Burrow some
Reply/Quote
All this sounds great and like most here I feel is long overdue. That said, as always with Zac, we’ll see…
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And from what I read, he then gave Burrow about 3 calls and let him make the final decision at the line. 

They gave him 2 calls based on different looks by the defense.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

I still expect the Bengals to be heavy 11 personnel and pseudo 11 personnel because of Mike Gesicki. Unless Erick All or Tanner McLachlan have a really nice camp it's hard to project alot of heavy personnel formations for the Bengals.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 08:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not just that, lining up under center also gives teeth to the play action, as it actually forces the LBs to hesitate for a second.

That is if Burrow actually sells it better, stated before I hope Boomer comes around more now to help Burrow with play action.
Reply/Quote
This decision could be the reason Zac ends his career a Championship coach

The balls and trust to do this, so young in his career is amazing

I think this works best for NFL teams. I know teams have had success with the HC being the playcaller, most obvious the Chiefs but everyone doesn’t have who the Chiefs have.

I fully support this shift and hope Burrow does too cause he’s really the only one who i give AF if they like it or not
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2024, 12:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: That is if Burrow actually sells it better, stated before I hope Boomer comes around more now to help Burrow with play action.

You know another way to sell PA?

Don’t suck ass running the ball. lol

To me Burrows aesthetics when doing PA look fine. It’s just that frequency we ran PA and the fact that we rarely got the ground going first so the PA just wasn’t effective
-Housh
Reply/Quote