Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Taylor to take a step back
(05-25-2024, 11:51 AM)Synric Wrote: I still expect the Bengals to be heavy 11 personnel and pseudo 11 personnel because of Mike Gesicki. Unless Erick All or Tanner McLachlan have a really nice camp it's hard to project alot of heavy personnel formations for the Bengals.

I’d watch for a lot of 10 personnel with Sample as the running back and Gesicki & Chase in the slots.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2024, 12:17 PM)Housh Wrote: You know another way to sell PA?

Don’t suck ass running the ball. lol

To me Burrows aesthetics when doing PA look fine. It’s just that frequency we ran PA and the fact that we rarely got the ground going first so the PA just wasn’t effective

I noticed 1st year, Burrow was not very effective with his PA under center, it made sense since LSU he rarely was under center but still room for improvement no doubt,, Boomer was one of the best, no harm to bring him in work on it and the roll out ...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2024, 12:15 PM)Housh Wrote: This decision could be the reason Zac ends his career a Championship coach

The balls and trust to do this, so young in his career is amazing

I think this works best for NFL teams. I know teams have had success with the HC being the playcaller, most obvious the Chiefs but everyone doesn’t have who the Chiefs have.

I fully support this shift and hope Burrow does too cause he’s really the only one who i give AF if they like it or not

It honestly surprises me Zac hasn't done this sooner and with Cali before this. But yeah, he is young.

He might of already been a Championship Coach if he had and it is surprising he has been as good as he has late in the year and in the 
Playoffs with the poor play calling/scheme. Shows how good he is at the rest of what he does honestly. Same with Lou if he can get his 
Defense back to playing like they should.

I know Burrow is a big reason we have been successful, but we all saw this team make a run at the Playoffs last year without him.

It was impressive.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2024, 08:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It honestly surprises me Zac hasn't done this sooner and with Cali before this. But yeah, he is young.

He might of already been a Championship Coach if he had and it is surprising he has been as good as he has late in the year and in the 
Playoffs with the poor play calling/scheme. Shows how good he is at the rest of what he does honestly. Same with Lou if he can get his 
Defense back to playing like they should.

I know Burrow is a big reason we have been successful, but we all saw this team make a run at the Playoffs last year without him.

It was impressive.

I would imagine he recognized sentiment that he should. Frank discussions with any number of people. Could have sensed Joe felt he should. Could have been Duke as they are close ( and most likely). Could have been Mike Brown. But I’m confident he came to the conclusion.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 10:27 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I would imagine he recognized sentiment that he should. Frank discussions with any number of people. Could have sensed Joe felt he should. Could have been Duke as they are close ( and most likely).  Could have been Mike Brown. But I’m confident he came to the conclusion.

Good on him. No ego with Zac Taylor.

No need for him to have too much on his plate, he is great at communication and coaching a disciplined team.

Let the new OC in Pitcher take the flack if it isn't up to par play calling and scheme wise.

This is a great move.
Reply/Quote
Good idea. Hopefully get that fresh new offense smell without the normally required major overhaul.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2024, 02:53 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: No way they don't throw 40 times a game, no way.

Throwing 40X/game from varied formations and personnel groupings is significantly different than simply lining up in shotgun, 3WR 11 personnel play after play after play. Wouldn't you agree?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2024, 12:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: That is if Burrow actually sells it better, stated before I hope Boomer comes around more now to help Burrow with play action.

The "sell" becomes really easy, when the team can effectively hand the ball off and expect 4-5 yds/carry up the gut with regularity.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Throwing 40X/game from varied formations and personnel groupings is significantly different than simply lining up in shotgun, 3WR 11 personnel play after play after play. Wouldn't you agree?

And I was told a lot of pass plays are run substitutes because they are more successful than our historic piss poor run game.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:09 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And I was told a lot of pass plays are run substitutes because they are more successful than our historic piss poor run game.

Hopefully the staff has learned that without establishing actual rushing ability, "substitute" pass plays just don't get the team ready to push the ball in short yardage situation.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hopefully the staff has learned that without establishing actual rushing ability, "substitute" pass plays just don't get the team ready to push the ball in short yardage situation.

Except in trying to win the game you gotta do what you gotta do. They aren’t doing it for funzies. But I hear you.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2024, 05:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I didn't really take this that Zac was giving up play calling, just that he was letting Pitch design the offense.

I took it as Pitch get to play OC this "spring" and Zac will call the plays during the season like always no change.
Reply/Quote
an interesting development
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 12:55 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I took it as Pitch get to play OC this "spring" and Zac will call the plays during the season like always no change.

Sure hope your take is wrong...
Reply/Quote
This is excellent
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 12:55 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I took it as Pitch get to play OC this "spring" and Zac will call the plays during the season like always no change.

I would imagine Zac wants a fresh approach to the offense. Fresh it up. But I too expect Zac to call the plays. Their efficiency numbers top 5 the years Joe has been healthy. But I’d bet Pitch will be heavily involved

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2024, 12:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’d watch for a lot of 10 personnel with Sample as the running back and Gesicki & Chase in the slots.

Seems like a terrible idea to just overtly abandon the run and just play even MORE 1-dimensional offense a lot.

A "RB" that ran a 4.71 all of 5 years and ~20lbs ago with 0 career carries and two guys in the slot who aren't really known as run blockers isn't exactly going to sell that running is ever a possibility. Might as well just outright play a full blown 6th OL back there instead of Sample. Same run threat, only marginally worse receiving threat, and going to spend almost the entire time as a pass blocker anyway. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Zac's been spending more time with the defense,, while Pitch has been running the offense. It's great to see him letting Pitch get adjusted to his new role without needing to be too involved.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 06:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Seems like a terrible idea to just overtly abandon the run and just play even MORE 1-dimensional offense a lot.

A "RB" that ran a 4.71 all of 5 years and ~20lbs ago with 0 career carries and two guys in the slot who aren't really known as run blockers isn't exactly going to sell that running is ever a possibility. Might as well just outright play a full blown 6th OL back there instead of Sample. Same run threat, only marginally worse receiving threat, and going to spend almost the entire time as a pass blocker anyway. 

Obviously not moving Sample to running back lmao. They will run Chase and Gesicki both in the slot with a RB more.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hopefully the staff has learned that without establishing actual rushing ability, "substitute" pass plays just don't get the team ready to push the ball in short yardage situation.

Sometimes i wonder if people really understand what an effective running game can do for an offense, with how focused everyone is on the Bengals being a "pass first and a lot" team. Todd Guerley was an All Pro in '17 and '18 with less than 300 carries each year and 1.3k and 1.2k yds respectively. That was a team with a 'good' Jared Goff under center and they were #1 and #2 in points and #10 and #2 in yards those years. Guerley got in the end zone a lot that year as well, which is obv an important part of it. His y/a were 4.7 and 4.9, nothing mind-blowing but effective enough to keep the chains moving and keep the offense on the field. This offense could skyrocket if they can get 4.5 ypc+ and be effective running the ball in goal-to-go situations. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote