Poll: Can we officially retire the B word?
Yes, We're in the Superbowl
No, We haven't won the Superbowl yet
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we officially retire the BWord?
(02-12-2022, 01:45 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'm missing something. I usually pronounce it like either BANGles or BENGals (kind of like Ben-gals). Somewhere in between. How do you guys pronounce it? 

Bing els
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 02:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bing els

I hate it.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 01:45 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'm missing something. I usually pronounce it like either BANGles or BENGals (kind of like Ben-gals). Somewhere in between. How do you guys pronounce it? 

This is it. I’ve never been able to actually describe it, but it’s somewhere in between BANG and BENG. Absolutely no to the BING.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 12:33 PM)grampahol Wrote: When you get right down to it every team has some negative name, rat turds, squeelers, brown stains..We're about to play the Hollywierd hams..err rams.. You get the gist..  Bungles don't sound so negative in this context.. 

I don't know why so many people get bent out of shape by the mere mention of the word Bungle. Are people really that thin skinned nowadays? My sister-in-law is a Saints fan and for decades their own fans referred to them as the Aint's, because they ain't beating anybody. My nephew is a Chiefs fan and when they lost to the Bengals the other week he sent me a text that read in part: "My Queefs blew it big time, good luck in the superbowl!"  I mean people on this message board, myself included,  refer to other teams by some very unflattering nick names, especially other AFC North teams. Should the term Bungals ever be used  or uttered? I think it's up to the individual person or poster. I don't think you'll  hear the term around here for the time being and hopefully  the team plays at such a level that no one deems it necessary for years to come. To hear some people call for others to get banned because they use that term is laughable to me, but to each their own i guess. i mean Heaven's to Betsy, what's next?
Reply/Quote
I don’t call them the Bungles. That’s what division opponents call the team to degrade them and paint them as an inferior trash franchise. Even if that has seemed like the truth for large amounts of the history of my fandom, I’m still not about to ally with Steelers and Browns fans to make fun of the team.

But, if you wanna do it, have at it. Who am I to tell you how to “root” for your team.

I wonder if Steelers fans call their team the Stoolers? Ratbirds with the Ravens? I wonder if Browns fans say “if it’s Brown, flush it down.”. I’m genuinely curious. Is the self degradation thing common with all teams’ fanbases?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It makes zero sense to post this poll before the super bowl. If we win the super bowl, the poll makes sense. If we somehow blow a lead in the super bowl or just flat out lose/get blown out, this poll looks incredibly dumb. The Rams are a tough opponent for us.
Reply/Quote
Like Chad said, "Winning fixes everything."

The word is gone, no matter what happens tomorrow. It's a relic of the past. Pundits will bring it up periodically for jokes, but it'll always be done tongue-in-cheek. They're arguably the most exciting team in football and a Lombardi will cement their legacy as winners, same way it did with the Saints.
Reply/Quote

[Image: sub-buzz-19744-1475376251-1.jpg?resize=625:469]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:28 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don’t call them the Bungles. That’s what division opponents call the team to degrade them and paint them as an inferior trash franchise. Even if that has seemed like the truth for large amounts of the history of my fandom, I’m still not about to ally with Steelers and Browns fans to make fun of the team.

But, if you wanna do it, have at it. Who am I to tell you how to “root” for your team.

I wonder if Steelers fans call their team the Stoolers? Ratbirds with the Ravens? I wonder if Browns fans say “if it’s Brown, flush it down.”. I’m genuinely curious. Is the self degradation thing common with all teams’ fanbases?

I think it's horrible when a Bengals fan uses the term. Although I show constraint, I want to tell them to check their fan card at the door on the way out because honestly, losing isn't fun. Having a self proclaimed fan use that term is like salt on the wound. That's just me though and everyone deals with it differently. I love the team though and that may be the difference.

Reply/Quote
Don't use it and really only hear from steeler fans at work, yet have sadly read it plenty on here when certain fans want to sling shade though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
only the players can destroy that word by the way they play. So far, so great!!! Who Dey

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 11:32 PM)RASCAL Wrote: only the players can destroy that word by the way they play. So far, so great!!! Who Dey

Agree but
this team unfairly inherited the label from the previous Bengals debacles that they've now proven they did not deserve at all.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Can't please everyone all the time, nor can you hold others to your level, if you want to be like that, then only converse with those that matter to you and let the others be.

The sooner everyone accepts that, the easier it will be.
Reply/Quote
Bengals fans have often bought into pejoratives and negative narratives about the team as a way to signal to other people that while the Bengals may lose, they are a winner and they do not accept anything but winning.    That's BS.  You're not on the team and you're not in ownership.  You're some dude that works 9 to 5 and watches the games.

Me, I'm just excited about winning my first SB tonight.

You can be critical of the team without buying into the negativity.  Because every time you give those narratives a push you give them momentum that is hard to overcome.

What I'm saying here is that if you ever used the "B" word it's your fault that Hill fumbled.  It's your fault that the refs screwed the Bengals in '15.  Your fault that Palmer's knee got blown out.  You.  You did that.

Now GTF out of my stadium.

Big Grin
Reply/Quote
The “B” word was never in the vocabulary of any true Bengals fan.

Anyway, the “B” word should have been retired in the Marvin Lewis era. Say what you want about Marvin’s lack of playoff success but that man singlehandedly made the Bengals relevant again after the shit show of the 1990s and early 2000s. I was furious every time I heard Dan Fouts use it.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 11:49 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree but
this team unfairly inherited the label from the previous Bengals debacles that they've now proven they did not deserve at all.

so far my memory has faded away with that word and you are correct, this team does NOT deserve the name but I still believe that the players deserve what they play like!

Reply/Quote
Bunghole?
Reply/Quote
They ain't the Bungles now, but they were for a while and I don't mind when we pull it out to express instant frustration at something that happens. I find the whole thing too stupid to be offensive, but to each his own.
Reply/Quote