Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac has to give up playcalling
(01-30-2023, 12:33 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: That's probably the best time to go deep. Doing it again on 3rd and 3 however I don't get. Looked like Joe was getting pressured though. 

And they had a lot of reserves out there
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Funny .....Phil Simms said at the half, if you want a clinic on how to manage your timeouts at the end of the half, watch what the Bengals did.

Yet here, we get fans bashing him for it. LOL

I think the only mistake made on at the end of the half was not spiking it right after Tee's first down. It would have stopped the clock, gave Bengals a bit more time to get two plays with some thought in it. Anyways overall thought they handled the timeouts good though.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Overall I thought the playcalling was good enough. But I wasn't a fan of them not running plays of a higher percentage chance for success of when they absolutely needed to in the 4th quarter. At that point you just have to go with the best plays that fit the situation, and I do agree to some extent they just didn't. And the outlier to this criticism was Chase's crazy 4th and 1 catch way down inside the 10 there. But that was a lucky play that 9 out of 10 times wont work.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The plays called in the game were all matched to our o line which was getting destroyed. Taylor has ripped off a double digit win streak calling plays, we lose the AFCCG by a last minute field goal, and now people want him to give up play calling. Sorry, that's a huge over reaction. Were they calling for Andy Reid to give up play calling after last year's AFCCG when they lost the same way? Doubtful. Some narratives die hard. This one needs to die now. Taylor's play calling has gotten us to the Super Bowl last year and the AFFCG this year, all with a shitty o line last year, and 3 of 5 starters out this year. So yes, people need to ditch the Taylor is a bad play caller narrative. 

People need to wake up. We got to the superbowl with I believe the worst offense to get to the superbowl in like the last 20 yrs. The defense got us to the superbowl. The offense was better this year but how many games did they win? Maybe that's hard to tell but I feel like we won most our of games because the defense played well. Sure we made it to the superbowl and the acf championship game but we could've won both with just a little better offense.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:54 AM)Big Boss Wrote: 2nd and 3, we throw it deep.

I will never understand it.

Zac doesn’t throw the ball. That’s burrow. We didn’t run four vertical routes. Players weren’t open and burrow took a deep shot multiple times. Again, not Zacs fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:05 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You are going to grow very old then. He’s going to have a long run. He’s coached awfully well the last 25 games with one of the best W/L records. He owns Mike Vrabel and Andy Reid. So your comment that it’s game over when he coaches against a great coach is negatory.

You already know that I haven't been Zac's biggest supporter, but I've admitted he's grown into the job, and he was fine last night.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:02 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: People need to wake up. We got to the superbowl with I believe the worst offense to get to the superbowl in like the last 20 yrs. The defense got us to the superbowl. The offense was better this year but how many games did they win? Maybe that's hard to tell but I feel like we won most our of games because the defense played well. Sure we made it to the superbowl and the acf championship game but we could've won both with just a little better offense.

14 games. The offense won 14 games in conjunction with the defense and special teams.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:27 PM)jason Wrote: You already know that I haven't been Zac's biggest supporter, but I've admitted he's grown into the job, and he was fine last night.

Adenji giving up 9 pressures and 3 sacks and Scharping 7 pressures couldn’t have helped a lick. But it wasn’t Zac’s play calling that gave up that ill timed punt return and Ossai PF. I’m convinced we win in OT.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:02 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: People need to wake up. We got to the superbowl with I believe the worst offense to get to the superbowl in like the last 20 yrs. The defense got us to the superbowl. The offense was better this year but how many games did they win? Maybe that's hard to tell but I feel like we won most our of games because the defense played well. Sure we made it to the superbowl and the acf championship game but we could've won both with just a little better offense.

Worst offense to reach the Super Bowl in the last 20 years? Good luck with that. Last year we were ranked 5-8 in scoring, yards per point, yards per play, offensive efficiency and several other areas.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Funny .....Phil Simms said at the half, if you want a clinic on how to manage your timeouts at the end of the half, watch what the Bengals did.

Yet here, we get fans bashing him for it. LOL

Just because someone does something well once doesn't mean they're mistake free lol. Time management at the end of the game was suspicious, KC should never have gotten that ball back. Chrissman not punting out of bounds, I think he should be back on the practice squad lol.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:43 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Just because someone does something well once doesn't mean they're mistake free lol. Time management at the end of the game was suspicious, KC should never have gotten that ball back. Chrissman not punting out of bounds, I think he should be back on the practice squad lol.

Yeah, Chrisman had a bad game, but that's a player issue.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think the only mistake made on at the end of the half was not spiking it right after Tee's first down. It would have stopped the clock, gave Bengals a bit more time to get two plays with some thought in it. Anyways overall thought they handled the timeouts good though.

I wondered about that myself. Appeared they were trying to catch the Chiefs off guard with a quick hitter before they could line up. Didn't work. I think I would have spiked it there myself, but otherwise, I thought they handled that whole drive well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Worst offense to reach the Super Bowl in the last 20 years? Good luck with that. Last year we were ranked 5-8 in scoring, yards per point, yards per play, offensive efficiency and several other areas.

Sorry I thought that would cause some confusion. I'm talking playoff offensive output. I can't remember the exact stats but they were bad and that came from a Bengals beat writer so I'd assume accurate.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think the only mistake made on at the end of the half was not spiking it right after Tee's first down. It would have stopped the clock, gave Bengals a bit more time to get two plays with some thought in it. Anyways overall thought they handled the timeouts good though.

What about spiking it after the Perine 1st down. Where everyone is at the line of scrimmage and no one has to run down the field. Seems like that would've saved some time. 

Look I like Zac and I think his offense is good at times. I think he struggles in situational football and I think he struggled last night. I also think the offense should do more than it has overall. Lou has done a tremendous job with the defense and I just don't think Zac has equaled that. This defense is gonna start going downhill. So the offense will have to be better. We need more creativity with Chase then a wide receiver screen pass.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:50 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Sorry I thought that would cause some confusion. I'm talking playoff offensive output. I can't remember the exact stats but they were bad and that came from a Bengals beat writer so I'd assume accurate.

Still confused. You must have been mistaken. The Bengals averaged 24 points per game in the playoffs last year. Now you’d agree the competition is tougher? That’d be ranked 8th for the season?

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: What about spiking it after the Perine 1st down. Where everyone is at the line of scrimmage and no one has to run down the field. Seems like that would've saved some time. 

Look I like Zac and I think his offense is good at times. I think he struggles in situational football and I think he struggled last night. I also think the offense should do more than it has overall. Lou has done a tremendous job with the defense and I just don't think Zac has equaled that. This defense is gonna start going downhill. So the offense will have to be better. We need more creativity with Chase then a wide receiver screen pass.

But this whole post season all the talking heads have talked about the creativity of getting Chase the ball though double teamed every play????

Reply/Quote
I’m fine as long as whoever called those back to back long throws on 2nd and 3 our second to last drive learns from their mistake. That’s just absolutely terrible situational play calling. We could have easily driven methodically down the field killing clock.

Additionally, a well experienced coached team…the difference is obvious when you watch both our last offensive snap and the Chiefs.

On our last snap, nobody chips and helps our backup RT against their best pass rusher. Hendrickson being our best rusher got chipped by their RB to slow him down.

Little details and the difference between well experienced coaches vs inexperienced coaching made all the difference in these games.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:29 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: I’m fine as long as whoever called those back to back long throws on 2nd and 3 our second to last drive learns from their mistake.   That’s just absolutely terrible situational play calling.   We could have easily driven methodically down the field killing clock.  

Additionally, a well experienced coached team…the difference is obvious when you watch both our last offensive snap and the Chiefs.  

On our last snap, nobody chips and helps our backup RT against their best pass rusher.   Hendrickson being our best rusher got chipped by their RB to slow him down.  

Little details and the difference between well experienced coaches vs inexperienced coaching made all the difference in these games.

I like Zac I think he's a good to great coach. This team and group of guys is great. For the most part I like the offense and the play. I think Zac and the offense has learned and adjusted throughout the season. But Zac or we don't seem to learn from situational mistakes. We keep repeating the same or similar mistakes. With Joe Burrow and these receivers we should almost be unstoppable. So I think we could use a new set of eyes calling plays not to rewrite the whole script but work with Zac. I more than anything want someone different handling the situational things that arise because we just don't seem to learn.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:26 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I like Zac I think he's a good to great coach. This team and group of guys is great. For the most part I like the offense and the play. I think Zac and the offense has learned and adjusted throughout the season. But Zac or we don't seem to learn from situational mistakes. We keep repeating the same or similar mistakes. With Joe Burrow and these receivers we should almost be unstoppable. So I think we could use a new set of eyes calling plays not to rewrite the whole script but work with Zac. I more than anything want someone different handling the situational things that arise because we just don't seem to learn.

All the other teams have these guys called defensive backs, and they get paid millions and millions of dollars to stop us. Ninja
Reply/Quote