Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac just isn't learning
How long do we give this guy while he continues to make the same mistakes, the guy just isn't learning.
I also wanted to say that the Jonah Williams project isn't working either, the guy is hopeless
Reply/Quote
Knowing the Bengals...probably a decade plus.

The SB last year bought him a lot of time...and with Burrow its not like we'll go 3-14. Zac can ride his coattails for years.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:30 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: How long do we give this guy while he continues to make the same mistakes, the guy just isn't learning.
I also wanted to say that the Jonah Williams project isn't working either, the guy is hopeless

Let’s say something positive first about Zac Taylor; he’s an excellent judge of talent. His drafts and free agency acquisitions have been good...

...but as much as Zac excels at spotting talent, he stinks at developing that talent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not even attempting to establish a running game puts a huge stress on the OL and then Burrow, even if the run game struggles you still should be at no more than 65% passes. If you do not you get blown out by the Browns. Make the defense respect a run game or get Burrow killed and lose 9 games.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:50 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s say something positive first about Zac Taylor; he’s an excellent judge of talent. His drafts and free agency acquisitions have been good...

...but as much as Zac excels at spotting talent, he stinks at developing that talent.

[Image: CarefreeFixedCrow-size_restricted.gif]

Outside of Burrow and Chase (who were easy slam dunks) it’s been a pretty mixed bag. Tee and Logan Wilson very good. Jonah, Drew Sample, Carman, etc not so good. And those are just the premium picks. Some of the mid-late rounders have been pretty terrible.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:50 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s say something positive first about Zac Taylor; he’s an excellent judge of talent.  His drafts and free agency acquisitions have been good...

How do you know its him and not Duke? Or scouts?

The 1st year Zac was hear, they signed a bunch of scrubs from like the Giants and teams the coaches had been with.

His best traits was being so bad year 1 that they lucked into Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Their playbook looks like one of 2 different teams. No cohesion.
Reply/Quote
We can blame Zac,and I don’t like his play calling either.But with 2 of your best players out in Chase and Reader,and then Awuzie going down,then that’s pretty hard to overcome,combined with a bad OL trying to protect your QB.Add to that bad play calling,and you have a disaster on your hands.The trade deadline has come and gone and no help is on it’s way.

Just more gloom and doom to add to the fire.But,we’re not out of it yet.There’s still hope.Never give up.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:13 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: We can blame Zac,and I don’t like his play calling either.But with 2 of your best players out in Chase and Reader,and then Awuzie going down,then that’s pretty hard to overcome,combined with a bad OL trying to protect your QB.Add to that bad play calling,and you have a disaster on your hands.The trade deadline has come and gone and no help is on it’s way.

Just more gloom and doom to add to the fire.But,we’re not out of it yet.There’s still hope.Never give up.
Good coaches know how to improvise and adapt 
When they face injuries at key positions.
The Browns were missing Wyatt Teller, Denzel Ward, Jeremiah Oshu Korimira, and a plethora of others.
And they just stomped all over us last night 
The buck stops with the HC.
The truth is ,Zac needs to a healthy roster to win.
Things have to be perfect 
He cannot adapt and respond accordingly 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:30 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: How long do we give this guy while he continues to make the same mistakes, the guy just isn't learning.

Williams is playing hurt that is obvious and last year played well so im not making him the reason for struggles. it is a combo of issues.. not just as simple as ZT not learning, but agree he has not adjusted well this year but I feel Burrow lack of wanting to adapt to getting under center , better play action and quick to dump the ball off are also limiting us.  As talented as he is, as better teams adjust to his style of play it can limit our playcalling and limit our scoring ability against better defenses. 
Reply/Quote
Jonah just needs more reps on the bosu ball with pool noodles smacking him...
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Knowing the Bengals...probably a decade plus.

You're optimistic today! Ninja
Reply/Quote

considering he got an extension   way too long
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:57 PM)M.W. Wrote: Not even attempting to establish a running game puts a huge stress on the OL and then Burrow, even if the run game struggles you still should be at no more than 65% passes. If you do not you get blown out by the Browns. Make the defense respect a run game or get Burrow killed and lose 9 games.

This is where I’ll disagree. I’m actually cutting Zac ALOT of slack on this because Iv wanted to see if it would work.

Just totally disregard the run, and run situationally(short downs) and then RANDOMLY sprinkle SOME runs in. Part of me feels like that would pressure the D more than just rushing 30 times no matter what. If we are passing like we did in Atlanta you can not guard that.

The strategy only becomes stupid when you can’t pass. Cause then you are just giving the other team the ball too quickly
-Housh
Reply/Quote
the Lions always love a WR-QB team and always picked (drafts) accordingly and have a byssmal record for it... we are as similar to them as ever.
Reply/Quote
Gio Bernard was the better fit at running back for this offense. Zac should have known this 2 years ago but he didn't have a clear vision for our identity on offense. I think we should utilize quicker backs that can catch and block. Use these players out of shotgun and run out of shotgun 30-40% of the time to keep the defense guessing. We should be able to draft and develop the backs and then let them walk in FA so we can spend money elsewhere.

Utilize more crossing routes, shallow crosses, slants, etc.

This offense includes a lot of plays and formations that just don't work with our personnel. This offense lacks a clear vision. Zac needs a clearer vision for this offense and to scheme up some innovative/successful plays that cater to our players' strengths.

Our 3 WR set in shotgun is our base offense. Sprinkle in some more formations to complement that. I wonder if pistol would be an effective formation as well.

Most offenses in the league have several route combinations designed to get specific wideouts open. I don't see any of that. We just line up and play a very vanilla/simple offense and expect our skill players to win with skill. Scheme these guys open and spread the ball around.

Some good examples of teams that do this and have a definite identity on offense are the 9ers and the Chiefs. They formed an identity and have several plays to get their guys going and drives started.

The Bengals are way too predictable because they are not continually evolving on offense. They run the same plays no matter who we are playing. They should be coming up with new plays on a weekly basis. They should adjust their gameplan based on who we are playing as well. Attack the weakness of the defense. Pretty simple stuff.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:13 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: We can blame Zac,and I don’t like his play calling either.But with 2 of your best players out in Chase and Reader,and then Awuzie going down,then that’s pretty hard to overcome,combined with a bad OL trying to protect your QB.Add to that bad play calling,and you have a disaster on your hands.The trade deadline has come and gone and no help is on it’s way.

The Browns had Brissett at QB and their top CB out.
Reply/Quote

Oh, I don't know, I mean he's 8 games removed from being in the Super Bowl, and we are 1 game out of first in the division. I'd say that makes him safe for a month or two.....
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 09:57 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Gio Bernard was the better fit at running back for this offense. Zac should have known this 2 years ago but he didn't have a clear vision for our identity on offense. I think we should utilize quicker backs that can catch and block. Use these players out of shotgun and run out of shotgun 30-40% of the time to keep the defense guessing. We should be able to draft and develop the backs and then let them walk in FA so we can spend money elsewhere.

Utilize more crossing routes, shallow crosses, slants, etc.

This offense includes a lot of plays and formations that just don't work with our personnel. This offense lacks a clear vision. Zac needs a clearer vision for this offense and to scheme up some innovative/successful plays that cater to our players' strengths.

Our 3 WR set in shotgun is our base offense. Sprinkle in some more formations to complement that. I wonder if pistol would be an effective formation as well.

Most offenses in the league have several route combinations designed to get specific wideouts open. I don't see any of that. We just line up and play a very vanilla/simple offense and expect our skill players to win with skill. Scheme these guys open and spread the ball around.

Some good examples of teams that do this and have a definite identity on offense are the 9ers and the Chiefs. They formed an identity and have several plays to get their guys going and drives started.

The Bengals are way too predictable because they are not continually evolving on offense. They run the same plays no matter who we are playing. They should be coming up with new plays on a weekly basis. They should adjust their gameplan based on who we are playing as well. Attack the weakness of the defense. Pretty simple stuff.

Gio is a good running back for any offense. He is powerful, he's short, he's quick, he gets lost in the pile and runs with all his leverage low to the ground. Sound like anybody else on the team this year, maybe with the name Perrine?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Knowing the Bengals...probably a decade plus.

The SB last year bought him a lot of time...and with Burrow its not like we'll go 3-14. Zac can ride his coattails for years.

ZT bought himself 3 mediocre seasons or 2 terrible seasons. Bengals are a legit national brand now and regardless of the past, there's no way they're going to deal with losing a ton of money by putting an inferior product on the field. 

You nailed it with Zac riding Burrow's coattails. But Burrow's no dummy, I don't think he's going to deal with a crap coach for very long. He has the clout to speak up and ownership will listen. 
Reply/Quote