Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac just isn't learning
(11-21-2022, 04:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Are you forgetting when Mixon did this exact same thing in 2018 under Marvin Lewis, or nah? Mellow

No that was part of the past with Mixon I was referring to. Whatever Mixon rookie year was I think 2017? I remember telling a coworker that I just didn't like Mixon's running style then he and the team started running the ball well. They continued that trend and then I want to say he had his most consistent season in 2018. Not sure I'm remembering all that correctly but I think that's how it went. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 04:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Let’s see:

1. Points per game #3
2. Yards per game #7
3. Yards per point #4
4. Points per play #7
5. Redzone TD scoring % #1
6. Offensive TD per game #3
7. Offensive Completion % #3
8. Yds per passing attempt #6
9. Penalties per game #3
10. Turnover Margin #8

Looks pretty good to me

Are these strictly playoff #s? Because that's what I was referring to the playoff run itself. I know the offense was more good than not during the season. The offense has been caring the load now the last 2 weeks and has looked very good.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 06:50 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: No that was part of the past with Mixon I was referring to. Whatever Mixon rookie year was I think 2017? I remember telling a coworker that I just didn't like Mixon's running style then he and the team started running the ball well. They continued that trend and then I want to say he had his most consistent season in 2018. Not sure I'm remembering all that correctly but I think that's how it went. 

Gotcha, and you're right. I think 2017 was the year Bill Lazor basically overrode Paul Alexander and switched up the blocking scheme at the bye iirc. Mixon was much better after. Then he was better in 2018 during Pollack's first year. I had my years mixed up....2017 was the year where he "flipped the switch". It's kind of bizarre that Frank comes back, and given the run game coordinator responsibility, and Mixon has struggled. He excelled under Pollack's blocking scheme before with worse players.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 07:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gotcha, and you're right. I think 2017 was the year Bill Lazor basically overrode Paul Alexander and switched up the blocking scheme at the bye iirc. Mixon was much better after. Then he was better in 2018 during Pollack's first year. I had my years mixed up....2017 was the year where he "flipped the switch". It's kind of bizarre that Frank comes back, and given the run game coordinator responsibility, and Mixon has struggled. He excelled under Pollack's blocking scheme before with worse players.

Yeah that's where the confusion comes for me. Like when Pollack was here in 2018 did he run his scheme or was he running what our personnel was more successful with at the end of 2017? Anyway hopefully we can maintain the run game enough that teams can't just sit back and try and keep everything in front of them.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 06:53 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Are these strictly playoff #s? Because that's what I was referring to the playoff run itself. I know the offense was more good than not during the season. The offense has been caring the load now the last 2 weeks and has looked very good.

This is current. Misinterpreted you then. But most scoring was/is down in the playoffs. The defense played well late that’s right. But the offense did well winning those close games with critical and timely scoring. The defense shut down KC. Let’s don’t forget we outscored KC 17-3 in the second half and OT.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 06:53 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Are these strictly playoff #s? Because that's what I was referring to the playoff run itself. I know the offense was more good than not during the season. The offense has been caring the load now the last 2 weeks and has looked very good.

This is current. Misinterpreted you then. But most scoring was/is down in the playoffs. The defense played well late that’s right. But the offense did well winning those close games with critical and timely scoring. The defense shut down KC. Let’s don’t forget we outscored KC 17-3 in the second half and OT.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I know reading comprehension may be difficult sometimes, but I never said anything like this. I never even implied this. I said the running game stunk. That's about it. This team goes where Burrow takes them, I have been adamant about this. Running game success doesn't correlate well to team success. I'm well aware of that. 

Again, the Bengals averaged 3.2 yards per carry on the aforementioned runs. That sucks. Oh, they had seven runs of more than four yards? Awesome. Know what that means? Ten runs of less than four yards. 

Zac said today thru the third quarter they averaged 4.5 yards a carry. My comment was the run game did just enough to compliment the passing game.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 06:50 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: No that was part of the past with Mixon I was referring to. Whatever Mixon rookie year was I think 2017? I remember telling a coworker that I just didn't like Mixon's running style then he and the team started running the ball well. They continued that trend and then I want to say he had his most consistent season in 2018. Not sure I'm remembering all that correctly but I think that's how it went. 

2017 Mixon was part of a 3 way committee... Jeremy Hill was still here back then. The way he, Gio, and Mixon were deployed was sorta maddening. None of them could really establish any rythem. Joe led the AFC in rushing the following year, but it wasn't some monster season. He missed some games and all, but it was literally a race between him and Phillip Lyndsey. Melvin Gordon was hurt that season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 09:49 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac said today thru the third quarter they averaged 4.5 yards a carry. My comment was the run game did just enough to compliment the passing game.

The Bengals averaged 3.3 yards per carry on designed runs through the third quarter. If you include scrambles it goes up but those aren’t really part of the run game. They are broken down pass plays.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 04:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: LC was night and day better against Watt. TJ is going to make plays regardless, he's that good, but I thought La'el looked MUCH better yesterday than he did week 1. Jonah is getting a little better each week, maybe it's because the knee is improving. Volson had a couple of whiffs, but overall he was better too. Improvement is important.....and they are doing that.

Twatt is probably the best End in the NFL, like you said Wyche he is THAT good and Cam Heyward is still one of the best
going against our rookie in Volson. Volson was just surprised by how quick Heyward was, it happens.

(11-21-2022, 04:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right on Nate, our oldest coordinator is Sweet Lou, obviously. I think his experience is showing now that we have improved the talent on that side of the ball. Losing Chido, in my opinion, is bigger than losing Ja'Marr for a few weeks. Losing a shut down corner and replacing him with a rookie is tough. Yet, Lou has switched up things again to accommodate. They're not as good without 22, but they can still play well enough to keep us in it. The offense has to step up, and aside from Cleveland, they've done that recently. They're getting stronger each week, and that's WITHOUT Uno.

Losing Chido might of been the main reason why I thought the SB was out of the question, but Eli has made some great 
plays and Mike is still great, our Safeties had a rough game and CTB still needs to start breaking up some passes but hey,
all these guys are good, same as Tre Flowers.

Our Offense will just have to make up for the injury to Chido, I think they can do it. We will see under Lou.

Really like Lou and after giving up 30 to the 31st ranked Offense I see a Defensive stand coming up. Maybe against King.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Bengals averaged 3.3 yards per carry on designed runs through the third quarter. If you include scrambles it goes up but those aren’t really part of the run game. They are broken down pass plays.

I’m just repeating what he said. He saw what I saw. Adequate might be a stretch but it was just enough. Not where it needs to be I agree.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 12:51 PM)740Bengal Wrote: It's a mute point, ZT will never figure it out. He is who he is.

Dumbest thing I have read today..
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:28 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Good coaches know how to improvise and adapt 
When they face injuries at key positions.
The Browns were missing Wyatt Teller, Denzel Ward, Jeremiah Oshu Korimira, and a plethora of others.
And they just stomped all over us last night 
The buck stops with the HC.
The truth is ,Zac needs to a healthy roster to win.
Things have to be perfect 
He cannot adapt and respond accordingly 

Wow, this is the second dumbest thing I've read today.....
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 12:42 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Dumbest thing I have read today..

(11-23-2022, 12:44 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Wow, this is the second dumbest thing I've read today.....

This is why I try not to have knee jerk reactions around here, you tend to look pretty dumb later on especially when criticizing
Zac, Lou or a lot of these coaches. Even Pollack should get some cred for the OL finally coming around, people were calling for 
his head after the Stains game.
Reply/Quote
I haven't had much to complain about with Zac lately.... winning cures all.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 04:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right on Nate, our oldest coordinator is Sweet Lou, obviously. I think his experience is showing now that we have improved the talent on that side of the ball. Losing Chido, in my opinion, is bigger than losing Ja'Marr for a few weeks. Losing a shut down corner and replacing him with a rookie is tough. Yet, Lou has switched up things again to accommodate. They're not as good without 22, but they can still play well enough to keep us in it. The offense has to step up, and aside from Cleveland, they've done that recently. They're getting stronger each week, and that's WITHOUT Uno.

And I really like his approach to working with CTB.   He makes him accountable without shaming him.   Maybe he polishes a gem by the playoffs!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 03:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is why I try not to have knee jerk reactions around here, you tend to look pretty dumb later on especially when criticizing
Zac, Lou or a lot of these coaches. Even Pollack should get some cred for the OL finally coming around, people were calling for 

Yep, and I was one of em, lol.

I try not to knee jerk, but that was alarming that deep into the season. Oh well, I ain't scared of a little crow.

(11-23-2022, 03:24 PM)3wt Wrote: And I really like his approach to working with CTB.   He makes him accountable without shaming him.   Maybe he polishes a gem by the playoffs!

Yes, and I'm hoping so!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 03:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is why I try not to have knee jerk reactions around here, you tend to look pretty dumb later on especially when criticizing

I dunno if it's knee-jerk, though. It's felt like a pattern over time with Zac where he has a plan and doesn't adapt it well to the guys on the field when his A-team isn't available.  This past Sunday felt like the first time they were able to swap guys out and continue without stumbling.  Major props to the players and coaches for that.  It felt like a turning point for this team.  Or at the very least, a big step forward and accomplishment to show they can survive on offense relying on depth. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 03:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and I was one of em, lol.

I try not to knee jerk, but that was alarming that deep into the season. Oh well, I ain't scared of a little crow.

It's all good, I kind of understood at the time, just took a lot longer than I think all of us thought it would for the new guys 
to get on the same page. The injuries to Jonah and La'el also prolonged the growth, same as a rookie in Volson starting.

I still think Pollack is a good OL coach and don't want him gone. There are lots of factors that go into coaching. Have to 
have healthy guys to begin with and it only looks like now that we are finally healthy. Jonah looked much better in the last
game and La'el has been playing good the last 2 games finally getting over the back issue.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 03:38 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I dunno if it's knee-jerk, though. It's felt like a pattern over time with Zac where he has a plan and doesn't adapt it well to the guys on the field when his A-team isn't available.  This past Sunday felt like the first time they were able to swap guys out and continue without stumbling.  Major props to the players and coaches for that.  It felt like a turning point for this team.  Or at the very least, a big step forward and accomplishment to show they can survive on offense relying on depth. 

All true, but one thing I learned from last season is Zac can adapt in the nick of time and have his team turn it on when 
needed the most. Sure would be cool if the same thing happens this year or close to it where we get hot right at the right 
time, definitely could see it happening. Good coaches can coach the next man up and I think both Zac and Lou have been 
able to do this well.
Reply/Quote