Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac just isn't learning
(11-23-2022, 05:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, but one thing I learned from last season is Zac can adapt in the nick of time and have his team turn it on when 
needed the most. Sure would be cool if the same thing happens this year or close to it where we get hot right at the right 
time, definitely could see it happening. Good coaches can coach the next man up and I think both Zac and Lou have been 
able to do this well.

Definitely can't argue that point when it comes to Lou!  He's done more regarding halftime adjustments since he's been here than I can ever remember seeing in the past.  Major confidence boost when it comes to this team making the second half stronger than the first.  

As for Zac... I'm still a wait and see on his OC abilities.  But he definitely has the team chemistry aspect down, and that's critical. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 06:40 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Definitely can't argue that point when it comes to Lou!  He's done more regarding halftime adjustments since he's been here than I can ever remember seeing in the past.  Major confidence boost when it comes to this team making the second half stronger than the first.  

As for Zac... I'm still a wait and see on his OC abilities.  But he definitely has the team chemistry aspect down, and that's critical. 

I don't know if it was from the after game press conference or later but Zac said something that impressed me.

I am paraphrasing here: "Tee is a smart player and he came to me and suggested some routes by the way the defense was covering him.  We tried some of those with much success".

The fact that Zac as a HC/OC was able to respect and listen to his player in real-time says a lot to me.

This, I believe, is why the players like Taylor so much.

I've never really doubted Zac as a leader because the players have always responded to him.

In the past, I've been extremely skeptical of him as an OC or someone who had innovation as a true play caller.

The fact that he has allowed changes as the season progresses shows...  yes... he really is learning.

You could even say... so are we.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/fboutsiders/status/1595535434859233280?s=46&t=8TzjON43YS1Cw_m5FNS76g

3rd/4th down offense by DVOA ⛓️

1) Kansas City Chiefs, 66.3%
2) Cincinnati Bengals, 45.3%
3) Miami Dolphins, 44.8%
4) Detroit Lions, 30.8%
5) Chicago Bears, 27.2%
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 07:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://twitter.com/fboutsiders/status/1595535434859233280?s=46&t=8TzjON43YS1Cw_m5FNS76g

Nice link. I think Zac is doing fine. I know a lot of people have reservations about him, but the Bengals have scored the 4th most points over the last two seasons with a terrible running game and porous offensive line. People typically just praise the players but Chase goes down and Cincinnati averages 30.6 PPG while he is out (4th in the league). Maybe the team will crash and burn down the stretch to invalidate all of this, but I like the job he has done. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 06:40 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Definitely can't argue that point when it comes to Lou!  He's done more regarding halftime adjustments since he's been here than I can ever remember seeing in the past.  Major confidence boost when it comes to this team making the second half stronger than the first.  

Play calling is my only real question with Zac at this point and even then, it is a team effort from everything I have 
learned and a lot of the play calls are Joe Burrow. Joe loves empty sets and he gets a few plays to choose from before
the snaps and he makes the final call. Doing something right, best passing team in the NFL right now.

(11-23-2022, 07:32 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't know if it was from the after game press conference or later but Zac said something that impressed me.

I am paraphrasing here: "Tee is a smart player and he came to me and suggested some routes by the way the defense was covering him.  We tried some of those with much success".

The fact that Zac as a HC/OC was able to respect and listen to his player in real-time says a lot to me.

I've never really doubted Zac as a leader because the players have always responded to him.

In the past, I've been extremely skeptical of him as an OC or someone who had innovation as a true play caller.

The fact that he has allowed changes as the season progresses shows...  yes... he really is learning.

Nice, didn't hear that from Zac, good to know and it actually doesn't surprise me. 

Zac's best quality as a Coach is communication. Cool
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 07:45 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Nice link. I think Zac is doing fine. I know a lot of people have reservations about him, but the Bengals have scored the 4th most points over the last two seasons with a terrible running game and porous offensive line. People typically just praise the players but Chase goes down and Cincinnati averages 30.6 PPG while he is out (4th in the league). Maybe the team will crash and burn down the stretch to invalidate all of this, but I like the job he has done. 

People talk about the offensive line, as they should. But by far and wide the biggest elephant in the room is having to implement 4 new starters at once in any season. That was poor decisioning. The organization has mishandled it for years. Poor drafts & free agents. Taylor hiring Jim Turner. They’ve got nobody to blame but themselves. Sadly next year they could be ridiculously dynamic. They do continue to improve
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 08:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Play calling is my only real question with Zac at this point and even then, it is a team effort from everything I have 
learned and a lot of the play calls are Joe Burrow. Joe loves empty sets and he gets a few plays to choose from before
the snaps and he makes the final call. Doing something right, best passing team in the NFL right now.

Nice, didn't hear that from Zac, good to know and it actually doesn't surprise me. 

Zac's best quality as a Coach is communication. Cool

Here it is:

Q. Can you give us your thoughts on Tee Higgins? Nine catches for 148 yards tonight. And then what type of statement do you feel like your team made tonight? No Chase, no Mixon for most of the game.

ZAC TAYLOR: Well, yeah, starting with Tee, he just -- when his number's called, you just expect him to make the play every single time. And he and Joe just have such a great rapport.

Tee is such a smart football player. He's got a great understanding of when the ball's going to come his way. He did a great job communicating with me on some routes that he wanted as the game went based on how they were playing him. I thought that was awesome.

And so, Tee's just always steps up big time for us. And, again, every team in the league is going to deal with players being out and you've got to find a way to overcome that.

I think our guys -- you know, Trenton Irwin just got a game ball, stepping up, getting his first touchdown. Mike Thomas steps up. Trent Taylor steps up.
You know, so we've got a lot of faith in that entirety of that room. And those guys stepped up. Trayveon Williams, when his number was called, I think his first carry was an eight-yard, tough run. Almost broke another one there. I think he maybe had two or three carries.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
There are some who aren’t ever going to accept Zac. At least as an OC.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 08:40 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Here it is:

Q. Can you give us your thoughts on Tee Higgins? Nine catches for 148 yards tonight. And then what type of statement do you feel like your team made tonight? No Chase, no Mixon for most of the game.

ZAC TAYLOR: Well, yeah, starting with Tee, he just -- when his number's called, you just expect him to make the play every single time. And he and Joe just have such a great rapport.

Tee is such a smart football player. He's got a great understanding of when the ball's going to come his way. He did a great job communicating with me on some routes that he wanted as the game went based on how they were playing him. I thought that was awesome.

And so, Tee's just always steps up big time for us. And, again, every team in the league is going to deal with players being out and you've got to find a way to overcome that.

I think our guys -- you know, Trenton Irwin just got a game ball, stepping up, getting his first touchdown. Mike Thomas steps up. Trent Taylor steps up.
You know, so we've got a lot of faith in that entirety of that room. And those guys stepped up. Trayveon Williams, when his number was called, I think his first carry was an eight-yard, tough run. Almost broke another one there. I think he maybe had two or three carries.

Thanks BengalsRocker, impresses me as well. I can see playing for Zac would be fun as you can just talk to the guy and
he is open as a Coach can get. That has to be refreshing, nothing like say when AJ was frustrated as hell that one year and
tore Ramsey's head off in that game, you could just see the frustration back in those days. Reminds me of a few teams I 
have been watching this year, the Packers and Rams come to mind. 

Might just be the SB hangover with the Rams though, I still think McVay is a good HC.

Another team that is the opposite is the Lions who I think have a fine HC in Campbell. He might just be bringing that team
out of the ashes for all we know. As crazy as it sounds the Bills better not be sleeping on the Lions.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 08:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: There are some who aren’t ever going to accept Zac. At least as an OC.

The thing is it is a group effort the more we get to know about it so it isn't all Zac. There might be a monkey wrench in there 
somewhere and none of us know who it is on why we see these head scratching play calls at times. If it is Joe Brrr I will take it.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 09:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The thing is it is a group effort the more we get to know about it so it isn't all Zac. There might be a monkey wrench in there 
somewhere and none of us know who it is on why we see these head scratching play calls at times. If it is Joe Brrr I will take it.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to have too many chefs in the kitchen, or too many chiefs and not enough indians. Honestly I think it's all moot. Zac and whoever probably get too much blame when things go wrong, and too much credit at other times. Whoever is pulling the strings is elevated by an cold as ice QB, and some damn good weapons... They did however pull off that 2020 Ryan Finley Steelers game plan though. Kudos for that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Watching Burrow’s presser this week he praised the coaching staff and said they do a very good job on second half adjustments.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 11:01 PM)jason Wrote: I don't think it's ever a good idea to have too many chefs in the kitchen, or too many chiefs and not enough indians. Honestly I think it's all moot. Zac and whoever probably get too much blame when things go wrong, and too much credit at other times. Whoever is pulling the strings is elevated by an cold as ice QB, and some damn good weapons... They did however pull off that 2020 Ryan Finley Steelers game plan though. Kudos for that.

Completely agree, there can be too many minds and that could be a problem. We will see.

The one mind we need to keep in charge of most of the plays is that cold as ice QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 11:49 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Watching Burrow’s presser this week he praised the coaching staff and said they do a very good job on second half adjustments.

Have to agree with that statement on both sides of the ball.

Always have had Zac's back as HC, but like many have questioned his play calling at times. 

Yet always said that he was still learning per skipping straight to HC and wanted to see how he did coming out of those adverse situations rather than in the midst of them. 

That's what tells the tale about people what they learn from adversity and how they adjust going forward after facing it. 

Zac is doing a fine job. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 02:12 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Have to agree with that statement on both sides of the ball.

Always have had Zac's back as HC, but like many have questioned his play calling at times. 

Yet always said that he was still learning per skipping straight to HC and wanted to see how he did coming out of those adverse situations rather than in the midst of them. 

That's what tells the tale about people what they learn from adversity and how they adjust going forward after facing it. 

Zac is doing a fine job. 

How i see if of late, this is not the NFL of odd with play calling with analytics driving it, ZT is not alone over the past few years established HC's have made me scratch my head on some playcalls and the young coaches even more.  What i fall back to on ZT is the master job he did in the playoff run with the pressure on and two solid coaches in Vrabel and HOF bound Andy Reid.  

Funny the Bills  now be underachieving as the heavy AFC favorite to SB, just goes to show this league is not easy and a steady hand is helpful through 17 game season that is where ZT has earned the most credit as HC
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 10:53 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How i see if of late, this is not the NFL of odd with play calling with analytics driving it, ZT is not alone over the past few years established HC's have made me scratch my head on some playcalls and the young coaches even more.  What i fall back to on ZT is the master job he did in the playoff run with the pressure on and two solid coaches in Vrabel and HOF bound Andy Reid.  

Funny the Bills  now be underachieving as the heavy AFC favorite to SB, just goes to show this league is not easy and a steady hand is helpful through 17 game season that is where ZT has earned the most credit as HC

All true, also must add that Zac doesn't put everything on analytics either. He clearly likes to ride the momentum and takes 
that into account more than the analytics. Some only use the analytics and it can screw you, like you said about the head 
scratching play calls at times.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 01:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, also must add that Zac doesn't put everything on analytics either. He clearly likes to ride the momentum and takes 
that into account more than the analytics. Some only use the analytics and it can screw you, like you said about the head 
scratching play calls at times.

The long field goal late against the Steelers showed field goals 50+ are good only 48% of the time. Circling wind in that stadium. He had confidence in Evan.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2022, 08:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The long field goal late against the Steelers showed field goals 50+ are good only 48% of the time. Circling wind in that stadium. He had confidence in Evan.

I was at the game and in the end zone, wind was not too bad but Mac has not kicked the ball that well with the cold so i was wondering if we should punt but Zac made the call and it was correct
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 07:32 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't know if it was from the after game press conference or later but Zac said something that impressed me.

You should watch the "Behind the Stripes" segment on Samaje Perine this week. He spoke very highly of the entire staff in Cincinnati.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2022, 08:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks BengalsRocker, impresses me as well. I can see playing for Zac would be fun as you can just talk to the guy and
he is open as a Coach can get. That has to be refreshing, nothing like say when AJ was frustrated as hell that one year and
tore Ramsey's head off in that game, you could just see the frustration back in those days. Reminds me of a few teams I 
have been watching this year, the Packers and Rams come to mind. 

Might just be the SB hangover with the Rams though, I still think McVay is a good HC.

Another team that is the opposite is the Lions who I think have a fine HC in Campbell. He might just be bringing that team
out of the ashes for all we know. As crazy as it sounds the Bills better not be sleeping on the Lions.

Good call brother.....they almost pulled it off!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote