Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac on Mixon
(04-30-2023, 12:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: If our O line improves to the point Mixon can "run well", he is an average RB. Classic case of taking credit and giving blame. O-line's fault when he's running poorly and Mixon's credit when the O-line is playing well.

I see your point. Although you could make the exact opposite argument. That people blame Mixon when the running game is bad and then give credit to the O-line when it's good. I also think Mixon would be a little better than an average back with good blocking. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 08:38 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This board and our running backs? After the SB loss to LAR a ton on here wanted Perine shipped to Siberia. The staff and Zac were vilified for having Perine in the last few minutes instead of Mixon. Then Perine was irreplaceable this year and Mixon danced around and was slow. Oh they won’t admit it. The coaching staff knows how good Joe is and the reasons for struggles. It was the OL mostly. And I damn sure knew how they felt.  I’ve been adamant that Mixon would be here in ‘23 and must have maintained it over 30 times. Barring legal issues. Mike M said the same. Nate the eliminator will vouch.

They would have drafted Bijan and Gibbs they were undecided but likely would have. Joe needs a good year to stay and with his salary vulnerable but he was always staying.

I was also one who thought Joe would be here. I was on the Bijan train though. I thought he was too good of a player if he fell.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:22 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I was also one who thought Joe would be here. I was on the Bijan train though. I thought he was too good of a player if he fell.

Lots of people couldn’t separate his worth from reality. The coaches wanted to keep him and Perine. They liked their combo. They liked the experience in the RB room. They haven’t been unhappy with Joe. I pointed out just like Charlie Jones possibly replacing Tyler Boyd next year they’d grabbed a really good back for next year but none really materialized. It’ll be an interesting year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Mixon is what he is at this point -- not great, not terrible,, but serviceable.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 01:41 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I see your point. Although you could make the exact opposite argument. That people blame Mixon when the running game is bad and then give credit to the O-line when it's good. I also think Mixon would be a little better than an average back with good blocking. 

Is he really though, since he can't block well himself, at least so we all say. Mixon is just below average for an RB IMO, inconsistent and not dependable. We can blame it all on the O-line that we have to pass on 3rd and 1 or 2.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 07:08 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Is he really though, since he can't block well himself, at least so we all say. Mixon is just below average for an RB IMO, inconsistent and not dependable. We can blame it all on the O-line that we have to pass on 3rd and 1 or 2.

The coaches have advanced analytics and stats. 10 times more than we do. It’d be a no brainer to figure out Mixon’s performance. They’ve got it for the OL to compare. They’ve got the video. Players get graded. With his high salary I wonder why they haven’t moved on. Why they didn’t be more aggressive keeping Samaje. With Joe’s recent personal issues it’d sure be easy to let him go. Wonder what they know we don’t?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 07:08 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Is he really though, since he can't block well himself, at least so we all say. Mixon is just below average for an RB IMO, inconsistent and not dependable. We can blame it all on the O-line that we have to pass on 3rd and 1 or 2.

I am a Mixon fan. I do think he is better than average. But I admit there are negatives to his game that keep him out of the top 10. I wouldn't be so quick to point to the Line if we haven't seen drastic differences in Mixons game in the past over the course of a single season. I also think Mixon on short yardage more often than not has picked up the 1st. Not sure if that's a stat that can be looked up. But I would say whoever is in charge of our short yardage plays needs his duties removed or needs to take a hard look in the mirror. We had a lot of bad plays on 3rd and 1 or more specifically on 4th and 1. Also want to mention when Kappa got hurt it was on like a 2nd and 1 or 3rd and 1 trying to throw the ball down the field. Just saying how we used the run and in what situations didn't always seem to be the best thought out.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 11:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Because there are still free agents out there that would love to come in and replace him....

Exactly.  Mixon has been doing that falling down upon first contact shit for years now.  I think we are all sick if it and it's time to try anything else.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Im still hoping they grab Zeke Elliot, and Chase Brown becomes our Tony Pollard

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 08:20 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The coaches have advanced analytics and stats. 10 times more than we do. It’d be a no brainer to figure out Mixon’s performance. They’ve got it for the OL to compare. They’ve got the video. Players get graded. With his high salary I wonder why they haven’t moved on. Why they didn’t be more aggressive keeping Samaje. With Joe’s recent personal issues it’d sure be easy to let him go. Wonder what they know we don’t?

Sometimes we might give the coaches more credit than they deserve. Our front office is not as good or as creative as the tops of the league. In retrospect Mixon's 2nd contract may have been a mistake. But I believe his struggles do not just fall on his shoulders. Maybe were waiting until after June 1st to cut him or maybe they want to honor his contract. But if we continue to try and improve the areas around Mixon blocking and play calling than I think he will be a valuable member of the team this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 10:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Sometimes we might give the coaches more credit than they deserve. Our front office is not as good or as creative as the tops of the league. In retrospect Mixon's 2nd contract may have been a mistake. But I believe his struggles do not just fall on his shoulders. Maybe were waiting until after June 1st to cut him or maybe they want to honor his contract. But if we continue to try and improve the areas around Mixon blocking and play calling than I think he will be a valuable member of the team this year.

As do they obviously

Reply/Quote
Mixons job was saved the moment Perine walked.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If we get the Mixon we saw versus Buffalo it will be good. He actually was not dancing, just hit the hole hard and fast and did not go down instantly.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 10:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: If we get the Mixon we saw versus Buffalo it will be good. He actually was not dancing, just hit the hole hard and fast and did not go down instantly.

That was juiced off of road rage Mixon. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 10:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: That was juiced off of road rage Mixon. 

True enough. But it was also one of the few times he has not tried to jitterbug his way around but just put his head down and attacked. With us in Power Gap now the premium is not on gaining the edge but just going right into the hole with power and not going down immediately. Almost makes me wish we had a Fullback on roster too. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 10:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: If we get the Mixon we saw versus Buffalo it will be good. He actually was not dancing, just hit the hole hard and fast and did not go down instantly.

the buffalo and carolina games were outliers

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 11:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the buffalo and carolina games were outliers

You are right Volson went off

Reply/Quote
At this point, Mixon is the starter and has zero reason to take a pay cut. We'll see what happens when next season rolls around. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Awkward situation now, I must say. What a difference two months makes. Rumors around Perine, Jamaal Williams, Harris and other FAs, most recently Zeke taking his job; then Gibbs, Charbonnet and the fantastic "depth" of the RB draft class; all the heat he took in the media for his lack of vision, yards after contact, and blocking last year, in addition to the legal limbo that has yet to be settled; and now we're back where we started. He's RB1 by a mile.

We can talk all we want about Chase Brown taking over but I'm skeptical of that happening anytime soon. I personally think Brown will be lucky if he supplants Trayveon Williams or Chris Evans on the depth chart. And if we sign Zeke, will there even be room for Brown on the 53? They kept four last year. Might have to concoct a phantom injury to accommodate a fifth. To be sure, I was not expecting this...

Nor am I disappointed. I've always liked Mixon. He's been a warrior for this team. He doesn't fumble, knows the system, he's a captain, plays through injury and doesn't complain. We're lucky to have him. I just think it's interesting he was heckled by so many of us who were expecting to get rid of him and his "bloated" contract- only to watch the NFL Gods announce that they had other plans.
Reply/Quote
15 teams ran for 4.5 yards per last year half of the NFL teams. Mixon has topped 4.5 yards in one year of his 6 years in the NFL that was 2018 his second year in the NFL. He is well below average as a runner.
Reply/Quote