Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac on Mixon
(05-01-2023, 10:10 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Zac's remarks appear to solidify Mixon as RB1 for 2023. I speculate Zac is speaking for ownership and Duke with his comments but I suppose there is always a possibility ownership or Duke still move to release Mixon June 1.

No need to actually wait until that date to release someone with a post-June 1 designation.
You can do so now and they just don't come off the books until then. It allows them to start looking for a new team sooner.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 05:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No need to actually wait until that date to release someone with a post-June 1 designation.
You can do so now and they just don't come off the books until then. It allows them to start looking for a new team sooner.

I didn't realize that. Thank you for the info.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 03:45 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I understand that this is an attempt at a "gotcha". Mixon had a great season as a dump-off option but I have never questioned his hands or general receiving ability. Without looking, he was somewhere in the top five. What I have consistently questioned is the overall value of his production (high volume/low efficiency), his inability to create for himself and his lack of pass blocking. Due to these factors, he is largely a replacement level player in my eyes. 

We have ways of quantifying a players impact in both receiving and rushing. It is called EPA and is considered the gold standard of analysis when we are trying to identify efficient players and how much value they contribute. Mixon ranked 45th out of 73 eligible players with a minimum of 50 rushing attempts. 

Not a gotcha, you are just so busy pointing out the negatives i wanted to make sure there was at least something positive that he brings to the team. 

We are a Passing team first, therefore our RB needs to complement that. The best way for Mixon to improve is be a 3rd down back. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 03:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not sure about that for this year, seems like another Media based rumor. First things first though, KC would have to release him, until there's rumors about that happening, then we can entertain rumors about CEH coming here.

There have been rumors that CEH would released and that's what Dehner has mentioned. KC hasn't been happy with him, and he's either RB3 or RB4 right now. They didn't draft a RB, but I wouldn't be surprised to see KC make a move right before the season with him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 02:23 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: There have been rumors that CEH would released and that's what Dehner has mentioned. KC hasn't been happy with him, and he's either RB3 or RB4 right now. They didn't draft a RB, but I wouldn't be surprised to see KC make a move right before the season with him.

And that would be a bad move. Pacecho hasn't even played a full year yet.
CEH counts as 3.5m against the cap this year and if they cut him, they get 2.5m in dead money. So savings of 1m.
KC GM Veach didn't say that. As of 2 days ago he said:

“We’re excited for Clyde this season, actually the first guy I saw in the building today, in tremendous shape. He’s a good football player, he’s gonna help us out here,” Veach said.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 03:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Mixon wasn't great in the run game last year, but in my opinion, where he REALLY let the offense down was in the pass game.

This offense NEEDED him to make plays on all of those check down passes when defenses were playing cover 2 against us and Mixon just wasn't able to come through. He couldnt make guys miss and couldn't make plays catching out of the backfield.

This is where Chase Brown is going to shine. It's still crazy to me though that the Bengals are going to pay Mixon 12 million this year. I mean we all know how this franchise operates and that just feels like it's still not going to happen. I dont think this saga is completely over yet.

Actually PFF said it was his best season ever in the passing game ranking him 7. Our screen game is limited because we have to protect Joe a lot. The way you beat a cover 2 is run the ball. But we suck there because of our awful blocking. And it was a deep cover 2.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 02:23 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: There have been rumors that CEH would released and that's what Dehner has mentioned. KC hasn't been happy with him, and he's either RB3 or RB4 right now. They didn't draft a RB, but I wouldn't be surprised to see KC make a move right before the season with him.

While CEH isn't a bellcow type of RB, he might be ok in a RBBC.
He has averaged 4.4 YPC in his NFL career so far, and he can catch.
I wouldn't be ecstatic for him, but he might still be an upgrade over Evans and/or Williams.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 08:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not a gotcha, you are just so busy pointing out the negatives i wanted to make sure there was at least something positive that he brings to the team. 

Yes, because there are more negatives than positives in my opinion. When we discuss a player and analyze their ability, that can happen sometimes. You and I obviously have a disconnect of how good Mixon actually is and that is fine. I'm not saying he is devoid of value, just that the value he brings is replacement level. This is especially true when you factor in his contract. 

Quote:We are a Passing team first, therefore our RB needs to complement that. The best way for Mixon to improve is be a 3rd down back. 

Something he has not been able to do through his first six years in the NFL. Maybe the 7th is the charm? Genuinely, though, Mixon is a good receiving back. He still struggles with some of the things that I have mentioned like the ability to make plays in space/lack of speed but he has good, reliable hands. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 10:22 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yes, because there are more negatives than positives in my opinion. When we discuss a player and analyze their ability, that can happen sometimes. You and I obviously have a disconnect of how good Mixon actually is and that is fine. I'm not saying he is devoid of value, just that the value he brings is replacement level. This is especially true when you factor in his contract. 

Something he has not been able to do through his first six years in the NFL. Maybe the 7th is the charm? Genuinely, though, Mixon is a good receiving back. He still struggles with some of the things that I have mentioned like the ability to make plays in space/lack of speed but he has good, reliable hands. 

I agree he's overpaid, but for now he's the best for what we have and there's not anyone out there that is miles better for what the Team expects out of a RB. I'm not saying he's not replaceable (only a few players are considered Irreplaceable), just saying that what Zac expects/wants from Mixon, he's doing that, otherwise he would be out the door. Until we get someone that IS better for our system, then he's good enough for us to win with.

The only disconnect we seem to have is as long as Burrow is Burrow, we are a PASSING team first. We will never be a RUN first team. Would we like to have a strong power runner? OFC, but we need a Back that is great at Catching passes first. Mixon has looked good in the past, when we had a semi-decent OL and was on his way to earning that pay, so let's see what he does this year with a better OL.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:26 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I agree he's overpaid, but for now he's the best for what we have and there's not anyone out there that is miles better for what the Team expects out of a RB. I'm not saying he's not replaceable (only a few players are considered Irreplaceable), just saying that what Zac expects/wants from Mixon, he's doing that, otherwise he would be out the door. Until we get someone that IS better for our system, then he's good enough for us to win with.

The only disconnect we seem to have is as long as Burrow is Burrow, we are a PASSING team first. We will never be a RUN first team. Would we like to have a strong power runner? OFC, but we need a Back that is great at Catching passes first. Mixon has looked good in the past, when we had a semi-decent OL and was on his way to earning that pay, so let's see what he does this year with a better OL.

Trust me, we don't have a disconnect there. If anything, I have argued that Cincinnati should pass the ball more. The last thing I want this team to ever be is a run first team. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 03:05 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Trust me, we don't have a disconnect there. If anything, I have argued that Cincinnati should pass the ball more. The last thing I want this team to ever be is a run first team. 

you dont have to be a run first team to have a good running game

the bengals have had a bad running game the least 2 seasons

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 09:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: While CEH isn't a bellcow type of RB, he might be ok in a RBBC.
He has averaged 4.4 YPC in his NFL career so far, and he can catch.
I wouldn't be ecstatic for him, but he might still be an upgrade over Evans and/or Williams.

I'm meh towards CEH. It feels like either Burrow wants to reunite with him or the front office wants to give Burrow any of his LSU teammates because some kind of magic will automatically happen.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Well now we know. Zac Taylor definitely doesn’t read this board. Go to 7:10 mark . Too funny. The pundits who say Zac is coachspeak on Mixon LMAO. And a few opinions neutered on his shiftiness and physical running
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bleav-in-bengals/id1585204338
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote