Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac on the o-line struggles
(09-27-2020, 10:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's playing too passively. Turner's "technique" has removed the aggressiveness from the blocking. The last time we saw real, creditable blocking here was back when Lazor overruled PA and had the linemen stop using zone and start using angled drive blocking. It let the linemen fly off the snap and engage the defense.

You know it's funny. 

Paul Alexander was fired from Dallas because they said he changed to blocking scheme from Frank Pollack's and Bill Callahan's zone blocking scheme to a Power Man scheme.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Zac is afraid to fire his fellow coaches who he chose.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 09:18 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I think Zac is afraid to fire his fellow coaches who he chose.

[Image: 200_s.gif]

Reply/Quote
I dont believe a thing Zak says. I think he is a snake oil salesman with a fake it until you make it style. The guy is all talk. He needs to just shut up and at this point prove he even has the ability to coach at a high school level. So far he has failed at the college level and at the nfl level. Riding on McVays coat tails doesn't count. He is doing the same as Gase did riding Payton Mannings coat tails.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 10:21 PM)TheBengals Wrote: The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  Progress! :andy:

Doesn't mean squat unless you actually attempt making a change.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 10:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: At least he doesn't seem to think it's 'overblown' this week:

'We can't just have a free runner, a three-technique come clean every single time. That's something we got to fix right away. I don't care what play you call; you're going to have problems when you can't block a guy for a second.' 

Is nobody going to to say anything about the 4 false starts with no crowd?  I was furious about that. The Eagles had how many offsides with no crowd? 
Reply/Quote
I think right now they need to radically simplify the blocking scheme, which is why I said ditch the zone blocking. Use a drive blocking scheme as they don't have the same need for close coordination and communication. The key right now is to get the linemen attacking instead of backpedaling and reacting.

Alexander used some power elements but he was predominantly zone react. And I detest that scheme for reasons already posted.
Reply/Quote
The biggest issue on this O-line is a LOFT issue.
Lack Of F*cking Talent.
Reply/Quote
Somehow we’ve all gotten focused on just RG. Probably because the coaches will only admit that position is a problem. While RG is the biggest problem with the line, it is not the only one. The entire line has played poorly so far. Hart is still doing Hart things, Hopkins moves nobody in the run game, Jonah got smoked for the first sack of the Eagles game and Jordan is just invisible. With his size, Jordan should be mauling guys and opening huge running lanes.

I actually agree with the coaches, somewhat, there is talent in some of these guys. The fact that even those with talent are playing poorly is a big red flashing alarm that it’s a coaching/scheme problem.
Reply/Quote
So, answer me this...

Why do the shittiest players never get long term or season ending injuries but the good players go down, seemingly, frequently?

I'm not looking at anyone in particular **coughcoughbobbyhartcoughcough**, just asking for a friend. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 01:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Somehow we’ve all gotten focused on just RG. Probably because the coaches will only admit that position is a problem. While RG is the biggest problem with the line, it is not the only one. The entire line has played poorly so far. Hart is still doing Hart things, Hopkins moves nobody in the run game, Jonah got smoked for the first sack of the Eagles game and Jordan is just invisible. With his size, Jordan should be mauling guys and opening huge running lanes.

I actually agree with the coaches, somewhat, there is talent in some of these guys. The fact that even those with talent are playing poorly is a big red flashing alarm that it’s a coaching/scheme problem.

The problem with the two that actually have talent are very green. Hopkins is an average starter that's played above his "draft position", so to speak because he wasn't drafted. Johnson is out of position, Price is awful, and Hart is Hart.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 01:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, answer me this...

Why do the shittiest players never get long term or season ending injuries but the good players go down, seemingly, frequently?

I'm not looking at anyone in particular **coughcoughbobbyhartcoughcough**, just asking for a friend. 

Have to physically exert yourself to get an injury.  Whatever

The only injury Bobby Hart should be worried about is a serious case of whip lash from watching guys blow past him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
So his comments on the o-line in yesterday's press conference were a real treat.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 02:08 PM)Big Boss Wrote: So his comments on the o-line in yesterday's press conference were a real treat.

My favorite part of yesterdays pc was when he blamed our losses on the coin toss and said he was going to get really creative when it comes to winning the coin toss, so we can have the ball to start the 2nd half lol. And of course nuggets like Hart is held back by too many changes at RG, etc, etc. He's quite a talker ZT is... I am just getting really sick of the excuses.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 09:18 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I think Zac is afraid to fire his fellow coaches who he chose.

You could be right.  Perhaps it's time for the Front Office to speak with Zac and let him know that it's time to make some changes?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You could be right.  Perhaps it's time for the Front Office to speak with Zac and let him know that it's time to make some changes?

The changes need to happen IN the Front Office. They are the only consistent factor in almost THIRTY YEARS of no playoff wins.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 10:30 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think Turner should get shown the door. This is his unit, and he's the one who jumped all over Bobby Hart and spent a bunch of money on him. I know he helped figure out the run game last year, but this OL is the worst Ive seen, and in his 2nd year. Sure its the players, but its also the scheme and coaching. Undisciplined play. I dont think the OLmen even want to play for this guy. They play like they dont give a sht.

As much as I don't care for Bobby Hart, he's the 3rd best pass protector and best run blocker on the team right now.
The guards are (sadly) the biggest area needed to improve.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As much as I don't care for Bobby Hart, he's the 3rd best pass protector and best run blocker on the team right now.
The guards are (sadly) the biggest area needed to improve.

He's leading the league in total pressures too with 15. The offensive line play has been very ugly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 06:49 PM)Synric Wrote: He's leading the league in total pressures too with 15. The offensive line play has been very ugly.

How did Jonah grade out vs Philly?

Reply/Quote

This ^
Reply/Quote