Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio on Pollack (with commentary)
(05-05-2018, 02:55 PM)samhain Wrote: I guess I sort of agree.  I think a lack of discipline on that team really hampers them at critical times, just as it does the Bengals.  Their critical moments tend to be games vs the Pats, ours tend to be first round playoff tilts.  The Jacksonville game in Pittsburgh this year was an unacceptable example of players running wild and having zero mental preparation for an opponent that was a lot more serious than they anticiapted.  I thought it was absolutely hilarious to see them act like a team that beat their brains out during the regular season was just going to come in and lay down for the mighty Steelers.

I also think that they are a really talented team that just happens to have the misfortune of playing at a high level at a time when Brady and Bellichick are still running the conference.  At the end of the day, if you can't overcome that hurdle, you're going home sooner or later.

The whole Bengals-Steelers bloodbath series of the last few seasons is largely a result of two coaches that lack control of players.  They fail every single time to get their guys to focus on the game and avoid the extracurricular violence.  The game becomes almost secondary to grudges and payback.  

Bengals and steeler bloodbaths are as much a reason each team loses in the playoffs as anything.

Both of those games should be earlier in the season.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 06:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Bengals and steeler bloodbaths are as much a reason each team loses in the playoffs as anything.  

Both of those games should be earlier in the season.

From a health standpoint yes. However, for ratings, the last game will be towards the end, when one or both have something to lose. Who says the NFL doesnt care about the players health. Right? However, I guess I prefer it this way myself. Weird yes, but just do. Gives us a chance to kill their dreams if we're not in it. However, seems to not have worked in our favor sometimes.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 12:33 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I LOVE THAT!  

Bring emotion and intensity to this team!  Have them line-up with a purpose and a desire to get the job done!  We've needed that since Marvin got here, and we'll especially need it on a line that's not filled with All-Pro players!

I look forward to seeing a Bengals' coach chewing on a player when he comes to the sideline after a stupid mistake. That hasn't been seen since Zim was here.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 06:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: 65963074.jpg]

Lol it was pretty obvious he threw that in for PC reasons. He knew how it'd sound.

I love it. I feel like complacency is cancer to success. When you have so many coaches and players getting comfy for 5-10-20 years, they get complacent. A new guy with an in-you-face attitude is sure to keep guys focused and motivated. Not to mention the entirely new scheme Lazor is implementing.
It gives hope to us poor fans too.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 05:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Please explain.

What I believe that Nate was aiming at, was that Paul Alexander was put into a compromising position without Whitworth and Zeitler to support the OL, left with just the guys that he insisted be drafted to lead the OL into the next era (Ogbuehi and Fisher).  Those guys failed miserably, and thus led to the demise and exit of Paul Alexander.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Losing Whit and Zeitler made the line even more of a disaster, which ultimately led to the canning of the Ivory Tickler.

Edit: I see Sunset beat me to the punch.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 07:16 PM)Derrick Wrote: It gives hope to us poor fans too.

True, and that's something that's been in short supply for awhile now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I've been through my share of screaming meme's as both coaches and employers. No thanks.. Last two screamers i worked for bankrupted the companies in short order .. Small men who had no skills except how to yell when things didn't go their way..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 06:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: From a health standpoint yes. However, for ratings, the last game will be towards the end, when one or both have something to lose. Who says the NFL doesnt care about the players health. Right? However, I guess I prefer it this way myself. Weird yes, but just do. Gives us a chance to kill their dreams if we're not in it. However, seems to not have worked in our favor sometimes.

I love the violent nature of Those games. It’s exactly the way football should be played.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good to know, know he had Ansah and Whitehead but after that i really don't know about many playmakers
on that D in Detroit. Wilson at Safety i guess was a good player there. Hope that Austin is an improvement
over Paulie G who i think had a lot of talent to work with.

Even though the Defense was on the field more than any team in the league i still think we should of been
much better at stopping the run and on 3rd downs. Should improve immensely now that we might have a
running game on Offense.

(05-05-2018, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that Austin will be just fine.  Some like to comment on how his defenses declined in ranking, as he remained with Detroit.  What those folks aren't really mentioning is that when Austin got to Detroit, their DL had both Fairley and Suh on it.  Losing a pair of players of that magnitude is going to set any defense back a couple years, as you just don't replace those guys overnight.

Austin will be more aggressive I bet. That should be the biggest difference between pauly and Austin.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What I believe that Nate was aiming at, was that Paul Alexander was put into a compromising position without Whitworth and Zeitler to support the OL, left with just the guys that he insisted be drafted to lead the OL into the next era (Ogbuehi and Fisher).  Those guys failed miserably, and thus led to the demise and exit of Paul Alexander.

LOL. That's pretty generous. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Getting loud and angry is no good if it's just constant. But exploding once in awhile on the idiotic error doesn't hurt.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 07:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They may be grown physically, but most young men still have a lot growing to go, when it comes to handling their emotions.  Why do you think such a high proportion of these well paid athletes end up broke, after making millions during their playing days?

Or why some with issues coming in go to orgs with structure and discipline, and you never hear another peep about them.....while others go to dumpster fires and flame out (like Johnny Fartball).

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 07:12 PM)Derrick Wrote: I look forward to seeing a Bengals' coach chewing on a player when he comes to the sideline after a stupid mistake. That hasn't been seen since Zim was here.

Man I miss Zim....... http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d81561133/Sound-FX-A-win-with-Zim against the Chiefs back in the day.... and then this classic.....

Reply/Quote

Sunset and Shake pretty much explained it Harley, sorry for being vague my brother. Cool

It sucked losing both Whit and Zeit but in the end it left PA having to put his money where his mouth is and actually
have to coach up his hand picked players. Which he could not do, leading to us eventually moving on from his sorry
ass.
Reply/Quote