Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zach Wilson - First round pick. When do you give up?
(12-28-2022, 02:07 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm really curious to see what team trades capital for Wilson. 

I dont know if a team will look to him as a starter....  But he has some talent...     Some team likely brings him on to see if he can be salvaged especially if they fail to find one in the Draft or FA or groom as a backup
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 02:07 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm really curious to see what team trades capital for Wilson. 

I don't know that any team would trade for that contract, and as he won't have completed year 3 it cannot be reworked yet.

(12-28-2022, 11:04 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I dont know if a team will look to him as a starter....  But he has some talent...     Some team likely brings him on to see if he can be salvaged especially if they fail to find one in the Draft or FA   or groom as a backup

Mayfield and Darnold are great examples of how he will end up.  Someone will probably bring him in to be the backup and push the starter, while trying to develop him into an asset they can then either trade to gain a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or replace their failing incumbent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 11:58 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I don't know that any team would trade for that contract, and as he won't have completed year 3 it cannot be reworked yet.

Mayfield and Darnold are great examples of how he will end up.  Someone will probably bring him in to be the backup and push the starter, while trying to develop him into an asset they can then either trade to gain a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or replace their failing incumbent.

Not sure how his signing bonus is prorated but his cash amount for 2023 is like 3.8mil and 2024 is 5.3    there are backups making more out there
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 12:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not sure how his signing bonus is prorated but his cash amount for 2023 is like 3.8mil and 2024 is 5.3    there are backups making more out there

Cap hits the next two years of 9.6 and 11.2 million.

By contrast, Bridgewater has a cap hit of 6.5.  Dalton is 3 million.  Nick Foles is 2.6 this season and 3.6 next.  Brissett 4.7

It would be a huge hit for the backup position under the current deal.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 12:15 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Cap hits the next two years of 9.6 and 11.2 million.

By contrast, Bridgewater has a cap hit of 6.5.  Dalton is 3 million.  Nick Foles is 2.6 this season and 3.6 next.  Brissett 4.7

It would be a huge hit for the backup position under the current deal.

Right but in a trade the new team might not have to pay the full amount  Like when the Browns traded mayfield  etc.  old team can pay a portion of the salary
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 12:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right but in a trade the new team might not have to pay the full amount  Like when the Browns traded mayfield  etc.  old team can pay a portion of the salary

But wasn't that a part of his revised contract? Remember, Wilson is completing year 2. They can trade him with this contract; waive him and hope someone will take the remaining contract on or else take the entire cap hit on themselves. But the terms of the contract cannot be reworked until the end of year 3.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 12:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But wasn't that a part of his revised contract?  Remember, Wilson is completing year 2.  They can trade him with this contract; waive him and hope someone will take the remaining contract on or else take the entire cap hit on themselves.  But the terms of the contract cannot be reworked until the end of year 3.

Browns paid 10.5 mil of his Salary this year.   Then he restructured the remaining amount with the panthers. (so wilson wont be able to restructure but Jets Can eat a bit of salary if it helps them get a return)
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 01:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Browns paid 10.5 mil of his Salary this year.   Then he restructured the remaining amount with the panthers. (so wilson wont be able to restructure but Jets Can eat a bit of salary if it helps them get a return)

Interesting. I thought that was a part of the restructuring.
Reply/Quote